• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by erico201
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I own an 80s #black knight.

My 7 digit display...match and ball number has failed. Only the the far right digit has failed...ball number. It has failed completely...not just a burned out segment. The other digits work completely. I initially figured it must be the display itself however what are odds to have all of the segments on one digit go bad all at the same time.

Where do I start? I have a manual with schematics. I have no spare displays and it looks different than my other 7 digit display boards. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

The resistors on the main display board... One has heated up and gone open. Careful, they can get hot enough to burn you! Test with power off---high voltages present!

#3 6 years ago

Thank you for the info. I will check the schematic and board for test points. I will followup with my findings.

#4 6 years ago

If I had a bad display in the future, can they be repaired? Should they be repaired? I see LED replacements however I would prefer to keep the neon or gas type. All opinions welcome here. Thanks in advance.

#5 6 years ago

Try swapping the display with player 1, 2, 3 or 4 to see if the ball in play digit still does not work. This will confirm the problem is on the master display board and not the display glass. Careful as there is over 100V on those displays so please connect with power off and hands off when they are on.

Assuming the problem is with the master display board (extremely likely) the "units" digit of the Credit/Ball in Play digit is driven by IC8. It most likely has failed and needs to be replaced. IC8 is a UDN6184

#6 6 years ago

The display I have an issue with is the 4 digit display. Coukd I damage anything swapping it out with a 7 digit?

#7 6 years ago

If you do find that you need a new display, contact knazzo to see what he has. I purchased three System 7 Displays from him (2 x 7 Digit, 1 x Match/Credit) and they work perfectly. He also has a bunch of other parts/boards for sale. Good Luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/series-7-7-digit-display and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.