8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM00146.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I hope this thread isn't too redundant compared to other threads and it's more of just a fun thing for me to try and figure out and hopefully display eventually alongside of my pinball machines.

I have a Showtime EM pin and a Flash SS pin, and I was able to determine the correct serial numbers for each machine fairly easily and registered them on the IPSND website for the hell of it and to keep track of them myself. Is there any decent way of knowing what number each of my machines might be?

My Showtime is S/N #5178, with the other two registered on IPSND being 5014 and 5158. Is it fair to consider my Showtime pin would be #178 out of production? I think that seems fair however most of the Chicago Coin production runs weren't listed but I can't image they produced too many of these machines to begin with and I don't see them around much. I don't care much about the rarity I just want to point a number to it of which one out of the factory it was. Flash is obviously much more diverse however my serial number for it is close to a large chunk of other serial numbers which are similar. (Many in the 35x,xxx range, with probably the other 50% being registered in the 37x,xxx range)

The lowest Flash number is 85128 which I'm guessing was a label error or a prototype machine as the next lowest serial number is 335213. The highest serial number in the common range is 388556. There are no machines registered in the 360k range. There are about 4 or 5 machines under 350,000 but at the 350,000 things start to pick up heavily. Seeing as I have a number before things started to probably get smudged up by Williams (hence the gap), does anybody have any guesses to what the starting number would be for one of these machines? Gorgar goes from 390k to 417k and those registrations are much more "together" than the Flash ones. Nearly the whole range of those machines is pretty filled in yet 14,000 machines were produced. Time Warp goes from 360k to 407k. I'm sure the other Williams examples of the time have similar numbers, I just picked those machines off of the top of my head as I know they were produced around the same time, very close actually.

Any guessing on where the Flash serial numbers started? The giant range of different numbers doesn't boil down to the 19,505 machines produced so it's difficult to pinpoint that however I would figure since my machine falls in a fairly early production time before the list started to get weird it would be a bit easier to kind of figure out which game number it would have been rather than one with a later or oddball serial number. Any thoughts are appreciated. Any suspicions that 350k is the starting point for these games? The ones less than 350k (3 of them besides the 85k one mentioned above, 335213, 339346, and 344476) are old and transfers from an old database and / or do not have pictures associated with their entries.

350k + 20k = 370k and if you take out the 360k range it would move the final serial number up to around 380k, although machines are still registered often until about 389k when it drops off and only two oddball high numbers after that are registered for the full machines. (Which could possibly make up for the 495 gap between the production run of 19,505 and 20,000)

Also, I don't mean to be ridiculous and I apologize if this comes off that way. This is just something that sparked my interest and would like to possibly display at some point. Sorry if this is all a bit complicated but I'm genuinely curious.

#2 8 years ago

Williams Flash looks like #335417 or could be 885417 depending on how it was stamped. I didn't go digging for other numbers inside the machine to check.
I guess it depend on how you look at the serial numbers. Are we assuming they made 19000 Flash machine consecutively or are there gaps in the numbers were they ran another game.

CAM00146.jpgCAM00146.jpg

#3 8 years ago

The big manufacturers would build their titles in batches depending on the interest with gaps in between when they were building other titles.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/serial-numbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.