(Topic ID: 240454)

Serial Number? Trace the History of a game?

By JohnJN

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Darcy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi All,

So I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to trace the history of their particular games or how one would go about it?

I've got a Data East JP that's in fairly nice condition and I would love to trace back its roots, find out who owned it before me etc etc - I thought this might be a fun look into my games history.

Also - the serial number itself -- any way to determine with the serial which unit I've got? IE outta the 9008 where I landed

#2 5 years ago

If a previous owner happened to register it here, you might be able to reach them somehow. http://www.ipsnd.net/ Otherwise you probably won't find out much as a general rule.

#3 5 years ago

IPSND or various owner's lists that are scattered around. Operator stickers sometimes indicate ownership as well.

But, not all game serial numbers have a recorded history.

#4 5 years ago

dozer1 - As a general rule? why?

#5 5 years ago

Probably a lot of reasons. Many games are pretty old and have changed hands many times. Not too many people actually register them in the IPSND. It would be cool if it was used more just for compiling more data about games, or to help someone find there exact old game and try and get it back if they want.

Another reason is that they don't have to be registered like cars, so the serial # just isn't that important. (unless you have a proto or something, which MIGHT add value)

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

If a previous owner happened to register it here, you might be able to reach them somehow. http://www.ipsnd.net/ Otherwise you probably won't find out much as a general rule.

I have a specific game and specific S/N that's been 'bogarted' by someone else for years now at ipsnd.net.

So how do you change that, would the site admin actually reply to an email of 'It's mine, not his?'
Meantime, I know I'm good - I still have the game (for the year he claims), with the clean S/N decal to match.

Thoughts?
Thanks.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

would the site admin actually reply to an email of 'It's mine, not his?

maybe? I don't know. Have you tried contacting the guy? Have you tried registering the game and providing a photo of the serial #?

#8 5 years ago

Sometimes a serial number can be hard to read. Maybe an 8 looks like a 9 due to wear, or something like that.

Quoted from dozer1:

Have you tried registering the game and providing a photo of the serial #?

This. A good, clear photo is hard to refute.

One other possibility--sometimes manufacturers jumped around with serial numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if one was accidently reused by mistake.

#9 5 years ago

Is it a possibility that he owned the game before you and the serial is still in the database? I changed my email address to a different provider and can no longer log in to remove a few I place there many moons ago.

#10 5 years ago

You should have record the Serial Numbers of all of the valuables in your home. Pins, Watches, Bicycles Computers, TV's.

Finding the previous owners that might have entered the Serial numbers in the data base is kind of interesting. But the data base is either unknown to most owners, or they do not want to let other people know what they own.

I bought a pin, looked it up and luckily it was there. It was from a Pinsider in the USA.

If your pinball machines are at another location, like in an unattached garage, or building, certainly photograph the game, with the serial number, incase they are stolen. No one is going to break into your home to steal a pin, the games are too heavy. However it does happen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/serial-number-trace-the-history-of-a-game?hl=johnjn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.