New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 50471)

Serial number impression in middle of PF

By accidental

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by NYP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys, I recently acquired a nice DW. I pulled the full-PF mylar and underneath I discovered this large serial number impression visible in the middle of the PF. I haven't seen this before. Is it common? It's a bit of a blight to be honest!

Another thing I noticed is that a standoff post is missing from the entrance to the O ramp. There's a dimple on the PF and a hole in the plastic ramp edge for one but looks like it was never installed fr factory. Is this also common? Similarly there are no screws in the holes on the W ramp flap but IIRC there are dimples there too.

image.jpg image.jpg

#2 7 years ago

That is strange I've never seen the pressed serial number on one. I have seen the uv serial number on a playfield. Maybe it's a early run of the game.

#3 7 years ago

That hole is just for a zip tie to hold the wires from the ramp optos. I don't know about the dimple on the playfield below.

See the ziptie at:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=738&picno=21868&zoom=1

#5 7 years ago

does the serial # match anything else on the game?
If not, maybe an op added it, that had theft or owner issues in the past with other games...
Kind of hard to dispute something like that on a game...

#6 7 years ago

I have seen this on tons of willams games over the years. Every time I talk to someone they think i am crazy lol. I asked LTG about this years ago. Cannot remember his response though.

#7 7 years ago

My friend owned a DW with a stamp like that years ago (2004) in the exact same place of the PF... Hell, it could be that same machine. I DO know that the stamped number did NOT match anything else on his and we just assumed it was an operator's mark/branding for taxing/inventory/auditing purposes.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ShaunoftheDead:

does the serial # match anything else on the game?If not, maybe an op added it, that had theft or owner issues in the past with other games...Kind of hard to dispute something like that on a game...

That would be my guess too. I highly doubt it came from the factory that way, but you never know.

#9 7 years ago

The numbers match the last six numbers of the serial. I haven't checked if it matches other components yet.

The reason I ask about the possible missing ramp standoff is that had it been there my ramp wouldn't have warped slightly over time from that edge sagging down. The front entrance lip/edge of the ramp is bowed upwards leading to many bricked shots. I'm going to try to heat it and flatten it out at some stage.

image.jpg

#10 7 years ago

Well, that's that...I guess it came that way from the factory...

#11 7 years ago

The PF SN should shine very brightly under a black light, I believe they used it back in the day to make sure operators stayed on their own turf, or something. There was a lot of cloak and dagger stuff when coin-op was a cash cow!

#12 7 years ago

Oh yeah, I don't have one to test it! So I guess in this instance the invisible ink messed with the PF artwork or, perhaps more likely, the diamond coat?

#13 7 years ago

The serial number in the playfield came like that from the factory. You don't see/notice them on lots of games as they have been dimpled into oblivion.

You can see these on other games of that era like BSD.

afaik on games that had them they ALL had them, but it could have been a difference between the LS and SP topcoat playfield manufacturers.

-cAyle

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

The PF SN should shine very brightly under a black light, I believe they used it back in the day to make sure operators stayed on their own turf, or something. There was a lot of cloak and dagger stuff when coin-op was a cash cow!

Not Operators.. But Distributorships.. Back in the day we all had sales territories that you covered for each brand you represented.

#15 7 years ago

My DW also has the number in the middle of the Master. It is blacklight reflective on my pin so it should be on yours too. Just a way to keep track of the pin sales from that time period is what I was always told

#16 7 years ago

Good to know... I have never seen or heard this before. Thanks for the info!

#17 7 years ago

Interesting! Sucks that it made such strong depressions in the playfield though. You can only see it in the right light but I know it's there!

#18 7 years ago

I have seen the blacklight numbers on a HS2, but with no impression. I did have a DW that had the numbers that were noticeable without the blacklight similar to the one in the picture.

#19 7 years ago

It shows up pretty easy on many TZ's inside the door area.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
£ 99.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside