7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Schusler
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Just thinking about sequels to pins that 'failed'. Okay, maybe 'failed' is too harsh a term....Didn't meet expectations. Doesn't have to be a direct sequel, but could be a redone theme.

Some that I feel where the sequel is not as good as the original:

T2 > T3
    Pin*bot > Jackbot
    Cyclone > Hurricane
    EBD > EBC (EBC less than EB too IMO)
    Fireball > Fireball II
    WMS IJ > Stern IJ
    AFM > RFM

Some to discuss

BK <> BK2K
    HS <> Getaway

What say you?

#2 7 years ago

WMS IJ > Stern IJ

That's #1 right there; Truly depressing & tragic

#3 7 years ago

Party monsters vs. Scared Stiff is worthwhile discussion, methinks. I like SS better but maybe not everyone does.

#4 7 years ago

it seems there are so many unused themes that could be winners.... Have any follow-ups truly been successful?

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

it seems there are so many unused themes that could be winners.... Have any follow-ups truly been successful?

I think that cyclone was better than comet.

#6 7 years ago

Wrong !!! Jackbot IMOP , The Best of the 3 . The Bride is Cool too !!!

#7 7 years ago

I think the original DE Star Wars was the best of the three.

#8 7 years ago

What about the two Rolling Stones? The new one sucks. Not really a sequel, but a redo maybe?

#9 7 years ago

bk2k is far better than bk. Better 2nd playfield, far better sound (I could listen to that soundtrack in the car).

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

bk2k is far better than bk. Better 2nd playfield, far better sound (I could listen to that soundtrack in the car).

+1. Bk is absolutely amazing, but the sounds make me want to shoot somebody. Bk2k Took all that is good and amped it up! The music is great, I play this table almost every day and I Never get sick of it.

That said, if a bk came up for a good price, I would snap it up in a heartbeat!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

robertmee said:Pin*bot > Jackbot

Wrong !!! Jackbot IMOP , The Best of the 3 . The Bride is Cool too !!!
    » YouTube video

I think jackboot really comes down to how much you like the gambling theme. I think pinbot has the slight edge for best of the series. But my rank would have to go pinbot, bop, then jackbot

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Natetheviking:

Party monsters vs. Scared Stiff is worthwhile discussion, methinks. I like SS better but maybe not everyone does.

If you put the trunk ball lock in party monsters, I would like party monsters way better. As it is, I call this one a wash for gameplay. When you factor in price, The party monsters would have to be the value winner.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Just thinking about sequels to pins that 'failed'. Okay, maybe 'failed' is too harsh a term....Didn't meet expectations. Doesn't have to be a direct sequel, but could be a redone theme.
    T2 > T3
    Pin*bot > Jackbot
    Cyclone > Hurricane
    Fireball > Fireball II
    WMS IJ > Stern IJ
    AFM > RFM
    Some to discuss
    BK <> BK2K
    HS <> Getaway
    What say you?

Although I think AFM is better than RFM, RFM sold more games. I can't say it didn't meet expectation when there re double the RFMs compared to AFM.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Although I think AFM is better than RFM, RFM sold more games. I can't say it didn't meet expectation when there re double the RFMs compared to AFM.

I think that's more attributable to the state of pinball manufacturing that more RFMs were made....That was about the only thing available for OPs to buy, and it was the new P2K format.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

TomGWI said:
    I think that's more attributable to the state of pinball manufacturing that more RFMs were made....That was about the only thing available for OPs to buy, and it was the new P2K format.

Gotcha.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Using production #'s to determine if a game is better then another is not a very good measuring stick. I know you said you feel AFM is better as would most people. Sometimes a title sells better because of hype or excitement over something new (DMD era or P2k) or just a popular license (Popeye).

DM had a 7k+ run, Popeye 4k+, Flinstones 4750+

I dont think you could say those titles are better then the likes of AFM, CV, & MM which in most cases had smaller runs.

#18 7 years ago

BK2K is much better than the original. The getaway, however, is worse than HS.

#19 7 years ago

Space Shuttle > Space Station. its close enough to a sequel

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

I think the original DE Star Wars was the best of the three.

+1 There is no comparison. DE SW is the best Star Wars themed pin.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The getaway, however, is worse than HS.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, love HS; the Getaway was a letdown. And I think that overall EATPM is better than SS, although the Stiff-o-Meter rules. Great Lightshow and pressure packed mode.

I also much prefer BOP to Pinbot, and I won't even touch Jack*Bot

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

T2 > T3
    Pin*bot > Jackbot
    Cyclone > Hurricane
    Fireball > Fireball II
    WMS IJ > Stern IJ
    AFM > RFM
    Some to discuss
    BK <> BK2K
    HS <> Getaway
    What say you?

I disagree with a few.

T3>>T2 (cooler shots and combos, better flow, decent backbox mode, and a stupid cannon shot isn't critical for starting and scoring on mb)
    Jackbot > Pinbot, although both are good games.

Yes, AFM >> RFM, WMS IJ > Stern IJ.

Getaway > HS
    Comet is also a Cyclone/Hurricane sequel. Tough cal for me in this series.
    SS > EATPM
    Stern SM > GTB SM
    Bally/DE ST > STTNG
    LW:JP > JP

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

I think that cyclone was better than comet.

I get to play Cyclone more and more and I really think it was the best in the series.
    The BOP/Pin*Bot debate can be a tough one to judge. They both rock! BOP has the slight edge due to the added sex appeal, but I still have to take the original as my favorite. It is just a great machine!

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Comet is awesome and started the series. Cyclone is a great sequel. I have a tough time deciding which one is better. Comet has all the old school appeal like an EM on steroids. Cyclone has a more modern rule sheet.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

T3>>T2 (cooler shots and combos, better flow, decent backbox mode, and a stupid cannon shot isn't critical for starting and scoring on mb)

I Agree with that. I liked T2 as a movie better, but as a game, T3 is more fun for me. I suppose the movies are another discussion. The rest of the list look pretty good. I liked High Speed 2 the Getaway better then High speed. Just prefer dot matrix games. Black knight and it's sequel are pretty close for me, a tossup.

#26 7 years ago

I've owned T2 and T3. Didn't care for T3 much... so I'm +1 that T2 wins that battle.

Hope no one says Blackwater is better than White Water. I really hate Black Water.

#27 7 years ago

Tough call there, most would say JP and STTNG are better games, but I respect your opinion.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

StevenP said:Bally/DE ST > STTNG
    Tough call there, most would say JP and STTNG are better games, but I respect your opinion.

I know I'm in the minority wrt STTNG. I actually have played the other STs recently and like them better. As for LW, I own one and have played a lot of JP (which is a good game). LW is just a very fast, tough 'shooter's' game--you won't score much unless your shots are accurate when you need them. Interestingly, a lot of pin friends haven't played or seen LW and tend to really like it a lot and wonder why it has such a poor rep. (A few aren't crazy about it, admittedly.)

#29 7 years ago

firepower and firepower 2.i have not played fp2 so no opinion to offer.

#30 7 years ago

Jackbot rocks!

I'd say MM is as well a sequel to AFM. And I cannot make up with one to pick.

Dr. Dude and Party Zone are also related.

#31 7 years ago

I think Cycone is the best of that series also.

#32 7 years ago

I can see how Jackbot is a sequel to Pinbot or Cyclone to Hurricane, Fireball 1 to 2. SS to EATPM not at all. It's like saying T2 to LAH.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I know I'm in the minority wrt STTNG. I actually have played the other STs recently and like them better.

Did you play a fully working STTNG? I can't see how you can prefer ST but, I do understand everyone has their own preferences. It’s just that STTNG is so much more of a pin than ST. However if you play one that is dirty and not well maintained, it can really suck. But, if maintained, it’s one of the best out there.

#34 7 years ago

What exactly are the similarities between Comet, Cyclone, and Hurricane? Does it run deeper than roller coaster/amusement park?

#35 7 years ago

Yes...there are actually references in Cyclone to Comet...Not sure on Hurricane as I've never played one.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Getaway > HS
    SS > EATPM
    Stern SM > GTB SM
    Bally/DE ST > STTNG

Wow you really lost me on the last 2.
    LW is better than jp? Really?
    DE ST is better than STTNG? Honestly?

As for comparing early ss to dmd games it really isn't a possibility. They are so far removed from each other in terms of style and play that you cannot come up with a fair set of criteria.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

As for comparing early ss to dmd games it really isn't a possibility. They are so far removed from each other in terms of style and play that you cannot come up with a fair set of criteria.

For the most part I agree BUT there is mention of one example already here.... Comet/Cyclone>Hurricane. Some instances, like Gottlieb Spiderman (which is a great pin!), just cannot be compared to the Stern version...

As much as a rush job/same layout Jackbot was... I still have to put it over Pinbot, although...

My opinion...
    High Speed>Getaway
    Scared Stiff>Party Monsters
    JP>Lost World
    BOP>Jackbot
    Wms Indy>Stern Indy
    D.E. S.W..>Other ones...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 65.00
    $ 27.50
    $ 4.95
    $ 18.95
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 149.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 35.00
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside