Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pinwillie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

buzz.png
    ie.jpg
    pinsideimage.JPG
    291787.png
    smartass.png
    pinside1970.PNG
    patat-met.jpg
    wrong rating #.png
    image.jpg
    date and time stamp 2.jpg
    date and time stamp 1.jpg
    Bug in Search Posts - 44 years.jpg
    Market.PNG
    market-place-back-to-how-it-used-to-be.jpg
    Karma.png
    Capture1.PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Wowzers, another big update to the site. Does this guy ever sleep?

Off course not, there are things that are more important than sleeping, like

Okay, so you probably noticed some changes to the site header, the sharper logo and nicer big menu links. You did, didn't you?

We now have a site-wide search. Try it, it's the box on the top right of the screen, next to your user name (if you're logged in). It searches games, topics, pinsiders, locations all at once with links to each respective search engine for power-searching or viewing more results. I still have to add stories here.

The Top 100 section has gotten a makeover and is bigger and better than ever. The Bang for your Buck list is back (but really in test phase).

The Pinside Market has gotten a huge re-design. I'm now rendering ads in waterfall style and it is such a fun way to browse through classified ads. hope you like it too!

The Pinball Events page has also been updated and a calendar added. It still needs some tweaks in the design department, but it's a handy addition to that page, having a direct glance of upcoming pinball events for the next two months.

The forum has gotten a lot of performance tweaks and lots of design improvements. For example, topics lists now display the age of a thread, which I thought would be quite handy. There is now also an option to preview your posts or edits. I have also rounded the look of some icons, trying to make things feel more "pinball"

The "start new topic" page is completely re-designed, it should streamline topic creation but also help in avoiding duplicate topics when breaking news occur (remember those 6 topics when sad new reached us about Robin Williams?). You will now be shown recent topics that match your topic title, so you will spot it if a similar topic was already started.

The image uploader is now "lazy loading", which means faster loading pages in general. The uploader was also updated to support older browsers better (and iPads too).

Your Karma points may go up or down a little depending on your contributions because I have made some tweaks to points scoring. If they go up: lucky you! If they go down: sorry!

I have also brought in some new recruits on the smily front:

And of course Mr Pinball smily that is shown above (inspired by a smily I had seen on the Belgian Gameroom forum).

What else has changed? In all honesty, I have lost track. So I figured it would be fun if you guys would spot changes to the site.

And of course you can list the inevitable bugs you encounter here too. Please do so in a constructive way, by listing the steps it takes to replicate a bug and which browser+version you are on. This way I can fix bugs super-quick (I hope)!

Hope you all like this update!

#5 9 years ago

Hey thanks, guys! I really appreciate the nice words!

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

Looking good. Spotted something though...

Thanks! Some leftover debug which wasn't cleaned up properly. Fixed it.

Quoted from Marten:

Hey my flag just disappeared!

Ouch. What country are you from? Hmmm... Netherlands? Hmmm.. Sorry, never heard of it!

JK, will fix soon.

Quoted from pinball_faz:

Batch Edit is going to come in very handy. I hope it's real and not a diagnostic of yours.

Nope, it's there to stay.

Quoted from frolic:

Any thoughts on tackling the Top 100 calculations? Somehow weighing the votes, or dropping older legacy votes of no-longer-active users, somehow managing all the 10s and 0s people give games to push them up or down?

This is in pipeline as well as plans on an alternate ratings system.

Quoted from EchoVictor:

Just an FYI, but the Top 100 list is missing #20. It goes from #19 right to #21.

That means two games are tied. I looked and there was a bug in hiding the second "19". Fixed now.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

In marketplace, my search defaults to Page 4 of results (top Nav), but shows Page 1 (bottom Nav).

When I change filters, then hit the links at the bottom to advance to the next page of results, I still wind up on Page 4 on the top, and all filter preferences are gone.

Will look into it, thanks.

Quoted from Riles:

Any way to view the Marketplace Ads in the old format?

Waterfall style is making my eyes swim.

No problem, look for this control at the top of the list and set it to "1".

This control allows you to customize the Market listingThis control allows you to customize the Market listing

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Love this forum my only suggestion would be to put a forum button on the bottom of each page so when on a mobile device you don't have to swipe all the way to the top of page to get back to forum page.

Screenshot 2014-09-18 14.04.23.pngScreenshot 2014-09-18 14.04.23.png
    Tap on the flippers images at the bottom of every page. Or the jump to top link below it.

Note that this doesn't work for auto-scrolling (E.g. the forum frontpage) pages because you will never reach the bottom (if your internet connection is fast).

In that case, use the reload button showing in each of the page separators:

Screenshot 2014-09-18 14.03.35.pngScreenshot 2014-09-18 14.03.35.png

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will provide feedback that I am NOT a fan of the new market place style. I really like the old style with ONLY pinside ads up top and easy to have sorted from most recent to least automatically.
    I tend to check on a weekly basis and it mad it easy to scroll down till I got to an ad I rembered from before.

You can easily disable Ebay ads using the filtering options on the left. The only current known problem is that these choices do not stick. So the week after you would have to uncheck it again. This is on the to-do.

I was going to add Craigslist classifieds as a source too, but they don't have an API, I think.

The default sort ordering should be 'date placed', not distance. You're right that's a bug and I will fix it.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

whats the "flaming" bit going on in the forum next to certain posts (including this one)?

That icon means it is a hot topic, a topic that has had many posts in short time.

Here's how it currently works: Every 5 minutes, we look at the amount of posts made to each active topic within a certain time interval (currently this interval is the last 12 hours). We divide this number by the total number of posts made in the time interval. If the resulting percentage is higher than a certain value (currently 2%) it marks the topic as "hot".

So let's say there were a thousand posts made in the past 12 hours and this topic had 60 posts made in it within those 12 hours. This makes it 60/1000 = 6% = hot!

I hope that makes sense! The values mentioned above are subject to change if I feel there are too many or too few hot topics.

Quoted from pinmister:

Not easy on the eyes, I like the short line description where if you want to see large pictures you can click.

You can use this icon (at the top of the ads list) to re-format the list:

Screenshot 2014-09-18 13.49.41.pngScreenshot 2014-09-18 13.49.41.png

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice improvements but I like the old Market Place better. I could scan through what's for sale alot faster.

The old one is not coming back (for various reasons), but you can always make suggestions what you are missing or what should be changed and maybe it will be implemented in this new version!

I noticed some of the Ebay labels being to large, will see if I can fix this asap.

#98 9 years ago

Thanks for the positive feedback but also thanks for constructive criticism. I appreciate both!

It seems most critique is about the top menu and about the market place. The menu is something I have been struggling with for a long time. I wanted it to display bigger on my iPad (nowadays a huge percentage of Pinside's visitors) but I also need space to extend for future menu items. And also allow for things like polaroid images to "stick out" and not go over the menu. So what I ended up with seemed the best option, considering these factors. I will dive back in at a later date to see if I can improve it, make it work better in some other way.

As for the market, I personally really like the new Marketplace view but also realise that not everyone would like the waterfall. That's why I also included the option to have single rows, or double boxes (option 1 and 2 in the 4-views selector). That said, I did notice some display bugs in those 2 views which I will look into asap.

I can understand the requests to "remember" your market search filtering options (e.g. turn off Ebay or change default sort order) and will work on an option to store these in a cookie or in your profile.

People who lost a lot of Karma, please PM me and I will investigate what happened. There could be some gains/losses but it should run into the millions.

All in all I think the update went pretty smooth, at least the site is still running

#114 9 years ago

Ok, a small update:

- Made all menu items in one row again
    - Fixed some market place bugs and cosmetic glitches
    - Added a "save as default" button to save marketplace filter settings (and view type) as default.
    - Fixed problem where ratings were no longer counting for your karma
    + Extra karma points are now awarded for adding comments to your ratings. Points based on length of review but with a limit to prevent abuse. As with all things ratings, this only works if your ratings are public.

#121 9 years ago

There are some server issues, working on it!

#124 9 years ago

Server problem should be fixed now, friggin' source control was testing me.

Quoted from 0geist0:

Can there be an option to put the Market back to the list? Hard to get through the way it is now.

Okay, how about this simple walkthrough:

market-place-back-to-how-it-used-to-be.jpgmarket-place-back-to-how-it-used-to-be.jpg

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Just a thought Robin, but the Marketplace waterfall would be a lot easier to process if it was a grid. Maybe you can crop the images and standardize the text box size with a ... cutoff for long text so that each one is the same.

Do you mean like viewtype 2, pictured above?

#132 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, I say skip it, 2 is perfect if you want density but laid out in a grid. Now that you can 'lock' in your settings I can't see any problems.

Maybe make 2 the default? Although I still think the "4" view is the best.

Quoted from gweempose:

How come some of the ads have a pic of the backglass, and others are blank?

Hmm, could it be an ad blocker plugin doing this? I'm seeing those images just fine.

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from danisme:

I noticed another odd thing. When Robin posted his Pinside t-shirt announcement thread the time indicator on the main page said the post was created 2 hours ago, yet when you open the post it says that it was first posted a few minutes prior.

Thanks for noticing this one, fixed it.

Quoted from 0geist0:

Tried to find a specific pinsider and all I got was no results found. So I searched for a member that I know and again I got no results found.

Thanks, found a bug and fixed it.

Quoted from guyincognito:

Is the forum software something that could be used for other non-pinball specific topics?

I've been using forums ever since I got on the internet 15+ years ago and this is the *best* forum software I've ever used.

It seems like it's something you could sell, host or otherwise distribute to other interested users.

Thanks!
    I'm open for offers

Quoted from DCFAN:

Picture loading does not appear to presently be working in Internet Explorer with the new Pinside version.
    I was able to get it to work with Safari.

In IE, when I click to attach a file, the area goes blank where I usually can select a file.

Which version of IE are you using?

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from danisme:

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but after I completed by Paypal Donation I clicked on the "return to Pinside" button and it links to this page https://pinside.com/pinball/donate/thanks. But the page is blank. Tried refreshing the page and still blank. But, I now have a little red heart, and less guilt for not contributing.

You're right, that's a bug! Will work on it.

Quoted from danisme:

Maybe some sort of text to explain that the 1-2-3-4 boxes are for view settings would help. As it is it's not obvious (at least to me) that these change the view and are not page numbers, which are at the bottom. Maybe even could move this to the left side bar with the other options/filters.

Yeah, I could move the view box to the left. Might be more obvious than the way it is now. Good call.

#153 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Ratings have the wrong #, but they are in the right order vertically.

Thanks, I was showing the top100 score, not the user score. Fixed now.

Quoted from Jvspin:

Tried changing the Market place view to "1" by clicking on the number but nothing happened. Using Chrome.

Chrome-only bug. Fixed!

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Noticed something else. Currently only sorting by Date when the "Distance" is enabled. Changing the "sort by" filter has no effect. Once again using Chrome.

Thanks. There are a few more bugs in the Market section that I will work on asap, most notably paging through ads doesn't seem to work anymore.

Quoted from Whysnow:

market map is blank for me.

I tried several browsers but could not replicate this issue. Could you provide me with some more info?

And is the Pinsiders map or the where to play map working for you?

#162 9 years ago

"Eėn patatje met, alsjeblieft!"

patat-met.jpgpatat-met.jpg

#170 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

this thread subject was typoed

Can't believe no one spotted that earlier!

#174 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

Robin, You may have answered this elsewhere... Could including high score initials in the search be an option? I would like to know if a pinsider set some of the high scores that I see around.

Love that idea and will add it soon to the main site search as well as the Pinsiders search.

#186 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I cannot get my 'search parameters' to save...

Did you use the "save as defaults" link under the filter form?

Quoted from Erik:

I don't think the "Last post in topic behavior" setting is working since the update. I have mine set to the newest post, rather than the refresher, but it seems to be going back to the prior post first.

Hmm, I will investigate.

Quoted from John_I:

Edit: it is not the latest thread missing. This thread is missing from the list too along with the "Help the Children and WIN a NEW STERN" thread.

Could it be stickied threads that are missing from your list?

#188 9 years ago

Yes, these are frontpage stickies. That might well be the problem then. I'll have to look into that.

Quoted from Zorak:

Does anyone know where the button to delete a rating is now?

Oops, my bad. It should be showing again on your My Pinside > Ratings page.

#193 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jetzxi:

Not sure if this was reported and forgive me because it is super minor.

But when clicking on somebodies activity, it will list their most recent activity in a particular thread as being 2 hours ago even thought they just posted a comment.

Thanks. This was indeed a bug. Fixed now!

Quoted from mof:

Two figures are way off on this list:

SoF: $775
    BK: $2900

I'd put those at ~$1700 and $1300 respectively, and I'm in an inflated-price market.

The pin prices on Pinside are currently in a very early "alpha" state. I'm interest in feedback like this to look into improving the algorithm. More on this soon.

Quoted from John_I:

The two that seem to be missing are this one and the "Help the Children and WIN a NEW STERN" thread. Just noticed the Pinside t-shirt thread too. Are all these stickied?

Yes, this was indeed a bug, stickies were not showing. Fixed!

#194 9 years ago

In other news, I have added some cool new features:

- Major improvements to PinsideMail search box. It is no longer a filter box, but instead is now a full fledged searchthrough all your current and archived PM messages.

- Location icons on the "where to play" map now are bigger when a location has more games. The amount of games is also listed in the pink bubble now.

- Forum buzz (previously "games talked about") on the forum frontpage now shows trend arrows. Looks like Lebowski is trending right now

#197 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That's a nice change, but I wish you still had the option to filter the messages like before. I have a ton of archived messages, and I often use the filter box to quickly pull up all messages from a particular user. For example, you could type "Gex", and it would pull up all the messages from "Gexchange". This doesn't appear to work anymore.

The reason I walked away from a filter type interface was that I needed to add paging to the message list. Some people get too much PMs (myself included) and loading all of these was causing to much strain on my connection (not to mention on Pinside). But after adding paging, the filter wouldn't work for me anymore (filter used clientside code to show/hide rows already loaded on the page).

As for searching for part of a Pinsiders name, like in your example, this *should* work. Maybe a bug? I'll look into it!

Edit: yes this was a bug., it was only searching messages matching the "from user" name field. Fixed this now.

#202 9 years ago

Quoted from DCFAN:

in desktop mode

Quoted from DCFAN:

compatibility view settings

Okay just kidding, but honestly. Maintaining Pinside for IE is just not all that easy. First off, there is still no IE version for Mac, so I have to resort to Virtual Machines to test stuff. I need different virtual machines to test IE8, 9, 10, 11. Aaargh! Their javascript debugging still stinks ("an error occurred on line 1219") and where other browsers all generally work well and follow the spec, IE always seems to be the outsider that does things differently. I'm not necessarily claiming that IE sucks, but it's not easy for a one-man development team (working on a Mac) to support all different version of this browser especially when its brilliant developer team also cooked up the wonderful compatibility view mode.

All I can honestly suggest is: please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox or (preferably) a webkit powered browser if you want the best Pinside experience (and even that is not bug free, but that's mostly my fault). These are all free, cross-platform.

I know some of you are stuck with IE at your workplace and I feel for you. I am not ignoring you and will try and fix IE specific bugs occurring in recent versions of IE, so do send them in (preferably via PM) but I cannot make it my #1 priority, even if I wanted it to.

/End of rant

ie.jpgie.jpg

Edit: Sorry, forgot to answer your question. I will try to look into the uploading issue with IE11, but as it turns out my latest VM is for IE10. I still need to download the VM for IE11, a 3.6 GB download

#203 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Robin there really needs to be a "market speculation" type subforum. There are so many threads about the future of the pinball industry and pricing. It would be so helpful if they could be lumped in one subforum

That might be a good idea. But it would mean that those threads would no longer go into the manufacturer forums. Hmmm... Why don't you open a topic about this and see what others think of your suggestion?

#210 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaTa:

Yes. I think that is a pain as well. Just one of many reasons to dislike it. It was so nice to just click and look at whats selling while using my phone. Now you have to click ten things before you see what you're really there for and using a phone for it is nearly impossible . Once again, I bought two pins in the past using Market and will not use it again until it's changed.

Hmm, I don't understand the fuss. If you click the "1" viewtype, the market view is almost the same as it was before the update. After that, click on the "save as defaults" link (under the filter form on the left) and your filter/view settings are saved forever and will be re-used on any device you use to sign into Pinside. Hope that helps!

Quoted from aobrien5:That can't be right: Sound/Music
    Average score of all the games where a person had a role in sound/music 1 Robin Seaver Credited for sound/music on 2 games

Nope, that is too weird. Will check it out, thanks!

#211 9 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

I just realized the more I get into pinball, the more I become curious about the creative minds behind them. I also do not know a good site/reference to look into this to find more info about them. Would love to find an archive for them on pinside, like a wikipedia page on all these unsung heroes. Heck, a lot of them being still around they may help build a nice archive on the history of pinball, the drama, the passion... I personally would love to learn more.
    Taking that further, under every game on pinside, the Splash at a glance page is a bit dry. I would love to have an essay by the game designer, if willing, on that page, about how it all came to be. Regards to all.

Definitely a welcome idea. So are you volunteering to start doing write-ups about them? If you gather information about a designer then I would love to accommodate a place to put this info on every designers page.

As for game splash pages. These already have publicly editable wiki, I welcome everyone to do small write-ups for games. I think the game Pinball Arcade does it well: they have very nice short stories about each game you can download. Obviously we can't "steal" their little essays but it is nice example.

#215 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I'm confused by the vertical ordering of the list.

You're right! I was sorting the wrong column. Fixed now!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sepember-18-update?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.