Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pinwillie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

buzz.png
    ie.jpg
    pinsideimage.JPG
    291787.png
    smartass.png
    pinside1970.PNG
    patat-met.jpg
    wrong rating #.png
    image.jpg
    date and time stamp 2.jpg
    date and time stamp 1.jpg
    Bug in Search Posts - 44 years.jpg
    Market.PNG
    market-place-back-to-how-it-used-to-be.jpg
    Karma.png
    Capture1.PNG
    There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 9 years ago

Robin there really needs to be a "market speculation" type subforum. There are so many threads about the future of the pinball industry and pricing. It would be so helpful if they could be lumped in one subforum

#202 9 years ago

Quoted from DCFAN:

in desktop mode

Quoted from DCFAN:

compatibility view settings

Okay just kidding, but honestly. Maintaining Pinside for IE is just not all that easy. First off, there is still no IE version for Mac, so I have to resort to Virtual Machines to test stuff. I need different virtual machines to test IE8, 9, 10, 11. Aaargh! Their javascript debugging still stinks ("an error occurred on line 1219") and where other browsers all generally work well and follow the spec, IE always seems to be the outsider that does things differently. I'm not necessarily claiming that IE sucks, but it's not easy for a one-man development team (working on a Mac) to support all different version of this browser especially when its brilliant developer team also cooked up the wonderful compatibility view mode.

All I can honestly suggest is: please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox or (preferably) a webkit powered browser if you want the best Pinside experience (and even that is not bug free, but that's mostly my fault). These are all free, cross-platform.

I know some of you are stuck with IE at your workplace and I feel for you. I am not ignoring you and will try and fix IE specific bugs occurring in recent versions of IE, so do send them in (preferably via PM) but I cannot make it my #1 priority, even if I wanted it to.

/End of rant

ie.jpgie.jpg

Edit: Sorry, forgot to answer your question. I will try to look into the uploading issue with IE11, but as it turns out my latest VM is for IE10. I still need to download the VM for IE11, a 3.6 GB download

#203 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Robin there really needs to be a "market speculation" type subforum. There are so many threads about the future of the pinball industry and pricing. It would be so helpful if they could be lumped in one subforum

That might be a good idea. But it would mean that those threads would no longer go into the manufacturer forums. Hmmm... Why don't you open a topic about this and see what others think of your suggestion?

#204 9 years ago

I just realized the more I get into pinball, the more I become curious about the creative minds behind them. I also do not know a good site/reference to look into this to find more info about them. Would love to find an archive for them on pinside, like a wikipedia page on all these unsung heroes. Heck, a lot of them being still around they may help build a nice archive on the history of pinball, the drama, the passion... I personally would love to learn more.
    Taking that further, under every game on pinside, the Splash at a glance page is a bit dry. I would love to have an essay by the game designer, if willing, on that page, about how it all came to be. Regards to all.

#205 9 years ago

That can't be right:

Sound/Music

Average score of all the games where a person had a role in sound/music

Robin Seaver
    Credited for sound/music on 2 games

73 ratings

#206 9 years ago
    Quoted from goalzzz:

Pictures also don't show in Opera 12.17 (except for avatars)
    Quoting doesn't work either. Just shows empty reply-box.

Working fine now!

Bedankt voor het ondersteunen van die ouwe opera-meuk!

#207 9 years ago

Sorry Robin... but I can no longer go to the Market and find any pins now do to its layout... Hurts my eyes and is a pain in the as* to navigate through. Please go back to the way it was...Perfect.

#208 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaTa:

Sorry Robin... but I can no longer go to the Market and find any pins now do to its layout... Hurts my eyes and is a pain in the as* to navigate through. Please go back to the way it was...Perfect.

Did you already try clicking the 1/2/3/4 to see different views?
    -mof

#209 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Did you already try clicking the 1/2/3/4 to see different views?
    -mof

Yes. I think that is a pain as well. Just one of many reasons to dislike it. It was so nice to just click and look at whats selling while using my phone. Now you have to click ten things before you see what you're really there for and using a phone for it is nearly impossible . Once again, I bought two pins in the past using Market and will not use it again until it's changed.

#210 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaTa:

Yes. I think that is a pain as well. Just one of many reasons to dislike it. It was so nice to just click and look at whats selling while using my phone. Now you have to click ten things before you see what you're really there for and using a phone for it is nearly impossible . Once again, I bought two pins in the past using Market and will not use it again until it's changed.

Hmm, I don't understand the fuss. If you click the "1" viewtype, the market view is almost the same as it was before the update. After that, click on the "save as defaults" link (under the filter form on the left) and your filter/view settings are saved forever and will be re-used on any device you use to sign into Pinside. Hope that helps!

Quoted from aobrien5:That can't be right: Sound/Music
    Average score of all the games where a person had a role in sound/music 1 Robin Seaver Credited for sound/music on 2 games

Nope, that is too weird. Will check it out, thanks!

#211 9 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

I just realized the more I get into pinball, the more I become curious about the creative minds behind them. I also do not know a good site/reference to look into this to find more info about them. Would love to find an archive for them on pinside, like a wikipedia page on all these unsung heroes. Heck, a lot of them being still around they may help build a nice archive on the history of pinball, the drama, the passion... I personally would love to learn more.
    Taking that further, under every game on pinside, the Splash at a glance page is a bit dry. I would love to have an essay by the game designer, if willing, on that page, about how it all came to be. Regards to all.

Definitely a welcome idea. So are you volunteering to start doing write-ups about them? If you gather information about a designer then I would love to accommodate a place to put this info on every designers page.

As for game splash pages. These already have publicly editable wiki, I welcome everyone to do small write-ups for games. I think the game Pinball Arcade does it well: they have very nice short stories about each game you can download. Obviously we can't "steal" their little essays but it is nice example.

#212 9 years ago

IE sucks. Use a better browser. Except for situations where you're jammed on a work machine (probably over some horrible ancient corporate intranet) there's no reason to ever use it.

It was a glorious day at Ars when we decided we just weren't going to support old versions of IE anymore. If there are super easy bugs to fix we'll do them, but we're not wasting our time trying to work hacks for a garbage browser anymore.

#213 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

IE sucks. Use a better browser. Except for situations where you're jammed on a work machine (probably over some horrible ancient corporate intranet) there's no reason to ever use it.
    It was a glorious day at Ars when we decided we just weren't going to support old versions of IE anymore. If there are super easy bugs to fix we'll do them, but we're not wasting our time trying to work hacks for a garbage browser anymore.

The thing I like about IE is I know where everything is and the text is very crisp. Safari and Firefox are fuzzy in Windows no matter what settings I use. I started using Chrome yesterday and after figuring out how to get the bookmarks to work the way I wanted I think I can live with it. In Windows, the text is much sharper in Chrome than Firefox and Safari but still not quite as clean as IE, but is acceptable.

#214 9 years ago

Robin,

I see your new "buzz" on the left of the home page. Neat idea.

I'm confused by the vertical ordering of the list.

1. Shouldn't the ordering be from biggest number to lowest number?
    2. I am surprised that 20 of 20 arrows are going "up" -- I guess it's possible? If the trend is mostly for up arrows, then I question the value of showing the arrows.

-mof
    buzz.pngbuzz.png

#215 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I'm confused by the vertical ordering of the list.

You're right! I was sorting the wrong column. Fixed now!

#216 9 years ago

Ok I can't ADD A TOPIC for some reason?? Everytime I pick a sub forum and wright something up the sub forum resets itself to blank and will not let me post anything.....I can't preview or post at all.
    I'm in an iPad air FYI a with the latest IOS update.

#217 9 years ago

I like the ""preview post" addition
    now i can edit before I post thanks Robin

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sepember-18-update/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.