Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinwillie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

buzz.png
    ie.jpg
    pinsideimage.JPG
    291787.png
    smartass.png
    pinside1970.PNG
    patat-met.jpg
    wrong rating #.png
    image.jpg
    date and time stamp 2.jpg
    date and time stamp 1.jpg
    Bug in Search Posts - 44 years.jpg
    Market.PNG
    market-place-back-to-how-it-used-to-be.jpg
    Karma.png
    Capture1.PNG

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 7 years ago

Bug.
    Ratings have the wrong #, but they are in the right order vertically.
    <see pic>
    -mof

wrong rating #.png

#152 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Yeah, I could move the view box to the left. Might be more obvious than the way it is now. Good call.

Tried changing the Market place view to "1" by clicking on the number but nothing happened. Using Chrome.

#153 7 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Ratings have the wrong #, but they are in the right order vertically.

Thanks, I was showing the top100 score, not the user score. Fixed now.

Quoted from Jvspin:

Tried changing the Market place view to "1" by clicking on the number but nothing happened. Using Chrome.

Chrome-only bug. Fixed!

#154 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Chrome-only bug. Fixed!

Sure did. Thanks.

Noticed something else. Currently only sorting by Date when the "Distance" is enabled. Changing the "sort by" filter has no effect. Once again using Chrome.

#155 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

The image uploader is now "lazy loading", which means faster loading pages in general. The uploader was also updated to support older browsers better (and iPads too).

I am unable to upload pictures from an iPhone 4s or an iPhone 6.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-arent-pictures-loading

#156 7 years ago

market map is blank for me.

#157 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Noticed something else. Currently only sorting by Date when the "Distance" is enabled. Changing the "sort by" filter has no effect. Once again using Chrome.

Thanks. There are a few more bugs in the Market section that I will work on asap, most notably paging through ads doesn't seem to work anymore.

Quoted from Whysnow:

market map is blank for me.

I tried several browsers but could not replicate this issue. Could you provide me with some more info?

And is the Pinsiders map or the where to play map working for you?

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I have a similar issue, but it's due to my horribly old browsers (work laptop).

Firefox 10.0.2 (all blue)
    IE 8 (all blue)
    Chrome works great tough Chrome is current (Version 37.0.2062.120 m)

All map interfaces behave the same.
    faz

#159 7 years ago

just checked again>> Market, then ads map in upper left.

It now appears to be working.

#160 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks. There are a few more bugs in the Market section that I will work on asap, most notably paging through ads doesn't seem to work anymore.

I tried several browsers but could not replicate this issue. Could you provide me with some more info?

Alkmaar!? Only 2 things come from Alkmaar, steers and queers & I think you get where I'm going with this...
    But seriously, I drove thru Alkmaar once on my way back to Hellevoetsluis when our Contiki buses were provided by Vermaats.
    Nice place, I love the Netherlands, even learnt the language, "Een pommes mit, alsjeblieft"

Why are all the other Pinside members slowly backing away from me?

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

"Een pommes mit, alsjeblieft"

You want apples?

I thought "pommes" was French??

faz

#162 7 years ago

"Eėn patatje met, alsjeblieft!"

patat-met.jpg

#163 7 years ago

still have this odd little bug

pinside1970.PNG

#164 7 years ago

Ah yes the classic "1970" default date in dozens of VB environments, C programs, etc. that would explain the 44 year old thread you saw.

#165 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Ah yes the classic "1970" default date in dozens of VB environments, C programs, etc. that would explain the 44 year old thread you saw.

ohh, I just put that together. It's a rounding thing from the December 1969 Microsoft epoch? Makes total sense.

#166 7 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

ohh, I just put that together. It's a rounding thing from the December 1969 Microsoft epoch? Makes total sense.

Close enough.

System time is measured by a system clock, which is typically implemented as a simple count of the number of ticks that have transpired since some arbitrary starting date, called the epoch. For example, Unix and POSIX-compliant systems encode system time ("Unix time") as the number of seconds elapsed since the start of the Unix epoch at 1 January 1970 00:00:00 UT, with exceptions for leap seconds. Systems that implement the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Windows API, such as Windows 9x and Windows NT, provide the system time as both SYSTEMTIME, represented as a year/month/day/hour/minute/second/milliseconds value, and FILETIME, represented as a count of the number of 100-nanosecond ticks since 1 January 1601 00:00:00 UT as reckoned in the proleptic Gregorian calendar.

So in this case the game name and number of ticks designed to represent the year of production are not being passed to the display function for that feature. 1970 + 0 = 1970.

#167 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Close enough.

pfft. stupid brain.

#168 7 years ago

And if you want to get REALLY technical...

Early versions of unix measured system time in 1/60 s intervals. This meant that a 32-bit unsigned integer could only represent a span of time less than 829 days. For this reason, the time represented by the number 0 (called the epoch) had to be set in the very recent past. As this was in the early 1970s, the epoch was set to 1971-1-1.

Later, the system time was changed to increment every second, which increased the span of time that could be represented by a 32-bit unsigned integer to around 136 years. As it was no longer so important to squeeze every second out of the counter, the epoch was rounded down to the nearest decade, thus becoming 1970-1-1. One must assume that this was considered a bit neater than 1971-1-1.

#169 7 years ago

this thread subject was typoed

#170 7 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

this thread subject was typoed

Can't believe no one spotted that earlier!

#171 7 years ago

Sepember, LOL. Nice find.

#172 7 years ago

I just assumed that's how you spell September in Dutch.

#173 7 years ago

Robin, You may have answered this elsewhere... Could including high score initials in the search be an option? I would like to know if a pinsider set some of the high scores that I see around. Also, I would like to know who to ask for lessons.

#174 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

Robin, You may have answered this elsewhere... Could including high score initials in the search be an option? I would like to know if a pinsider set some of the high scores that I see around.

Love that idea and will add it soon to the main site search as well as the Pinsiders search.

#175 7 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

Where would pinside be WITHOUT smartasses? (I wonder what the emoticon would look like )

how about this one?
    smartass.png

#176 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

how about this one?

Please please oh please... can you make it smaller!!!!

faz

#177 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

Please please oh please... can you make it smaller!!!!
    faz

No problem

291787.png

#178 7 years ago

My hero!

You know you're getting old when you wish for a big screen TV for a monitor (3 feet from your face).

faz

#179 7 years ago

I really like the new market!

I cannot get my 'search parameters' to save...

=(

-mof

#180 7 years ago

I don't think the "Last post in topic behavior" setting is working since the update. I have mine set to the newest post, rather than the refresher, but it seems to be going back to the prior post first.

#181 7 years ago

Robin,

One of the most important features of this update has not even been mentioned. Now when you create a thread you're prompted to enter the game title. I think this is SOOO important for future data mining as well as helping someone assist an active thread.

Personally I watch the DW threads constantly (isolated by game title).

Last year I realized I could not help with most tech issues, but decided to make it a mission to read every tech thread created. Most threads I'm clueless. Some I try to help (and re-affirm my clueless-ness). A few I add some value, but what I did do is add a game link when missing (over 1000 of them).

The recent change has (thankfully) put a few of us out of the LinkGame business.

If you can make some of those enhancements to the search I suggested the real value comes into play.

Thanks again for everything you do for pinball and us!

See you at Expo!
    faz

#182 7 years ago

I like the updates thanks for all the hard work. One bug I have found is with my "Posts by John_I" page in my profile. It doesn't seem to have the latest thread that I posted in. I often go to this list because it is an easy way to keep track of threads I have posted in all in one list.

Edit: it is not the latest thread missing. This thread is missing from the list too along with the "Help the Children and WIN a NEW STERN" thread.

#183 7 years ago

John,

I think I've run into this before. Look at the URL. Is it something like this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/profile/john_i#/2/92922

That sends you to posts starting at Page #2. Not sure the exact situations it happens, but it can be maddening. I think it happens when you select a thread and back out after an auto-update. I created that URL and that situation after a few minutes. Loose the "2/92922" and you should see your latest posts.

Just a thought,
    faz

#184 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

John,
    I think I've run into this before. Look at the URL. Is it something like this:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/profile/john_i#/2/92922
    That sends you to posts starting at Page #2. Not sure the exact situations it happens, but it can be maddening. I think it happens when you select a thread and back out after an auto-update. I created that URL and that situation after a few minutes. Loose the "2/92922" and you should see your latest posts.
    Just a thought,
    faz

I'm going to the same spot I have bookmarked. Noticed the same thing on my Android phone. It shows a lot of my latest posts but certain threads don't seem to get flagged for the list.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/profile/john_i

#185 7 years ago

Does anyone know where the button to delete a rating is now?

#186 7 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I cannot get my 'search parameters' to save...

Did you use the "save as defaults" link under the filter form?

Quoted from Erik:

I don't think the "Last post in topic behavior" setting is working since the update. I have mine set to the newest post, rather than the refresher, but it seems to be going back to the prior post first.

Hmm, I will investigate.

Quoted from John_I:

Edit: it is not the latest thread missing. This thread is missing from the list too along with the "Help the Children and WIN a NEW STERN" thread.

Could it be stickied threads that are missing from your list?

#187 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Could it be stickied threads that are missing from your list?

The two that seem to be missing are this one and the "Help the Children and WIN a NEW STERN" thread. Just noticed the Pinside t-shirt thread too. Are all these stickied?

#188 7 years ago

Yes, these are frontpage stickies. That might well be the problem then. I'll have to look into that.

Quoted from Zorak:

Does anyone know where the button to delete a rating is now?

Oops, my bad. It should be showing again on your My Pinside > Ratings page.

#189 7 years ago

Not sure if this was reported and forgive me because it is super minor.

But when clicking on somebodies activity, it will list their most recent activity in a particular thread as being 2 hours ago even thought they just posted a comment.

I noticed it and figured I would point it out.

#190 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Did you use the "save as defaults" link under the filter form?

Yes sir!
    -mof

#191 7 years ago

Thank you Robin, the new preview saves me having to edit after posting

#192 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

Two figures are way off on this list:

SoF: $775
    BK: $2900

I'd put those at ~$1700 and $1300 respectively, and I'm in an inflated-price market.

-mof

#193 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jetzxi:

Not sure if this was reported and forgive me because it is super minor.

But when clicking on somebodies activity, it will list their most recent activity in a particular thread as being 2 hours ago even thought they just posted a comment.

Thanks. This was indeed a bug. Fixed now!

Quoted from mof:

Two figures are way off on this list:

SoF: $775
    BK: $2900

I'd put those at ~$1700 and $1300 respectively, and I'm in an inflated-price market.

The pin prices on Pinside are currently in a very early "alpha" state. I'm interest in feedback like this to look into improving the algorithm. More on this soon.

Quoted from John_I:

The two that seem to be missing are this one and the "Help the Children and WIN a NEW STERN" thread. Just noticed the Pinside t-shirt thread too. Are all these stickied?

Yes, this was indeed a bug, stickies were not showing. Fixed!

#194 7 years ago

In other news, I have added some cool new features:

- Major improvements to PinsideMail search box. It is no longer a filter box, but instead is now a full fledged searchthrough all your current and archived PM messages.

- Location icons on the "where to play" map now are bigger when a location has more games. The amount of games is also listed in the pink bubble now.

- Forum buzz (previously "games talked about") on the forum frontpage now shows trend arrows. Looks like Lebowski is trending right now

#195 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Yes, this was indeed a bug, stickies were not showing. Fixed!

Good job. Appears to be working correctly now. Thanks!

#196 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

- Major improvements to PinsideMail search box. It is no longer a filter box, but instead is now a full fledged searchthrough all your current and archived PM messages.

That's a nice change, but I wish you still had the option to filter the messages like before. I have a ton of archived messages, and I often use the filter box to quickly pull up all messages from a particular user. For example, you could type "Gex", and it would pull up all the messages from "Gexchange". This doesn't appear to work anymore.

#197 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That's a nice change, but I wish you still had the option to filter the messages like before. I have a ton of archived messages, and I often use the filter box to quickly pull up all messages from a particular user. For example, you could type "Gex", and it would pull up all the messages from "Gexchange". This doesn't appear to work anymore.

The reason I walked away from a filter type interface was that I needed to add paging to the message list. Some people get too much PMs (myself included) and loading all of these was causing to much strain on my connection (not to mention on Pinside). But after adding paging, the filter wouldn't work for me anymore (filter used clientside code to show/hide rows already loaded on the page).

As for searching for part of a Pinsiders name, like in your example, this *should* work. Maybe a bug? I'll look into it!

Edit: yes this was a bug., it was only searching messages matching the "from user" name field. Fixed this now.

#198 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Edit: yes this was a bug., it was only searching messages matching the "from user" name field. Fixed this now.

Yep. It is indeed fixed. Thanks, Robin!

#199 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

The pin prices on Pinside are currently in a very early "alpha" state. I'm interest in feedback like this to look into improving the algorithm. More on this soon.

In general, I thought the prices were helpful numbers, and those were 2 that caught my eye as being "way off"

-mof

#200 7 years ago

Robin, regarding the IE11 (Windows8) problem I have been having of not being able to upload files in desktop mode, when I list pinside.com in the compatibility view settings I then can upload files/pictures. However, with the compatibility view setting I then get a lot of messed up lines on the page and the site does not look organized and clear.

pinsideimage.JPG

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside