Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pinwillie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

buzz.png
    ie.jpg
    pinsideimage.JPG
    291787.png
    smartass.png
    pinside1970.PNG
    patat-met.jpg
    wrong rating #.png
    image.jpg
    date and time stamp 2.jpg
    date and time stamp 1.jpg
    Bug in Search Posts - 44 years.jpg
    Market.PNG
    market-place-back-to-how-it-used-to-be.jpg
    Karma.png
    Capture1.PNG
    There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 9 years ago

Wowzers, another big update to the site. Does this guy ever sleep?

Off course not, there are things that are more important than sleeping, like

Okay, so you probably noticed some changes to the site header, the sharper logo and nicer big menu links. You did, didn't you?

We now have a site-wide search. Try it, it's the box on the top right of the screen, next to your user name (if you're logged in). It searches games, topics, pinsiders, locations all at once with links to each respective search engine for power-searching or viewing more results. I still have to add stories here.

The Top 100 section has gotten a makeover and is bigger and better than ever. The Bang for your Buck list is back (but really in test phase).

The Pinside Market has gotten a huge re-design. I'm now rendering ads in waterfall style and it is such a fun way to browse through classified ads. hope you like it too!

The Pinball Events page has also been updated and a calendar added. It still needs some tweaks in the design department, but it's a handy addition to that page, having a direct glance of upcoming pinball events for the next two months.

The forum has gotten a lot of performance tweaks and lots of design improvements. For example, topics lists now display the age of a thread, which I thought would be quite handy. There is now also an option to preview your posts or edits. I have also rounded the look of some icons, trying to make things feel more "pinball"

The "start new topic" page is completely re-designed, it should streamline topic creation but also help in avoiding duplicate topics when breaking news occur (remember those 6 topics when sad new reached us about Robin Williams?). You will now be shown recent topics that match your topic title, so you will spot it if a similar topic was already started.

The image uploader is now "lazy loading", which means faster loading pages in general. The uploader was also updated to support older browsers better (and iPads too).

Your Karma points may go up or down a little depending on your contributions because I have made some tweaks to points scoring. If they go up: lucky you! If they go down: sorry!

I have also brought in some new recruits on the smily front:

And of course Mr Pinball smily that is shown above (inspired by a smily I had seen on the Belgian Gameroom forum).

What else has changed? In all honesty, I have lost track. So I figured it would be fun if you guys would spot changes to the site.

And of course you can list the inevitable bugs you encounter here too. Please do so in a constructive way, by listing the steps it takes to replicate a bug and which browser+version you are on. This way I can fix bugs super-quick (I hope)!

Hope you all like this update!

#2 9 years ago

Thanks so much for what you do I truly enjoy this site.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks Robin. Not blowing smoke up your ass, but Pinside is one of the best sites on the web of any description.
    - easy to navigate
    - easy to read
    - works 100% on every device or computer I've tried it with
    - good uploading of pictures
    - appropriate subforums

Just so much better than other sites I belong too.

Thanks for the effort you make.

Dave.

#4 9 years ago

Thank you Robin! Seems like some great new features. I've only been a pinsider for a year, but couldn't have enjoyed this hobby nearly as much without you, the site and the members. Thank you very much for all you do to make this the most frequented site by myself and many others. Sometimes I'm here so often I think I should bring a sleeping bag as I feel I live on here.

Paul E.

#5 9 years ago

Hey thanks, guys! I really appreciate the nice words!

#6 9 years ago

the hot topic feature is cool!

#7 9 years ago

Keep up the great work Robin.

#8 9 years ago

Hi Robin,

Looking good. Spotted something though...

I have a link in my favs for the F14 forum....

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/f-14-tomcat/forum

At the top of the list of posts I see this :

$linkedTopicsList array (50)

Called from <ROOT>/php/archive/archive.machine.forum.php line 29

The rest of the screen looks fine. I'm using Firefox, if it matters!

Mark

#9 9 years ago

Site keeps getting better and better! Thank you and your team for all the hard work you put into Pinside!

#10 9 years ago

Very cool stuff! I can't wait to try all the new features out!

Thanks so much,
    faz

#11 9 years ago

I noticed the topics on top of the page and thought my phone was wigging out!
    Nice job, I spend half my day on here

#13 9 years ago

Hmmm, I see the "Pinside Badge Generator". I wonder what will happen if I print that out and place it in my RGP Lanyard???

faz

#14 9 years ago

Onward and upward. The best gets better. Great stuff!

#15 9 years ago

Top Robin!! thx

#16 9 years ago

Good job! The icons on the forum page are now much easier to read.

#17 9 years ago

Great stuff!

#18 9 years ago

Hey my flag just disappeared!
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.42.41.pngScreen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.42.41.png

#19 9 years ago

Batch Edit is going to come in very handy. I hope it's real and not a diagnostic of yours.

faz

#20 9 years ago

Love the pinsider badge and hot topics. Nice work!

#21 9 years ago

Great job. Thanks Robin.

#22 9 years ago

Great work, Robin. I spend basically my whole day here .

Any thoughts on tackling the Top 100 calculations? Somehow weighing the votes, or dropping older legacy votes of no-longer-active users, somehow managing all the 10s and 0s people give games to push them up or down?

#23 9 years ago

There seems to be a bug, My real name is Chuck Norris. Whos this Keith guy?
    generatePinsideBadgeCard.pnggeneratePinsideBadgeCard.png

#24 9 years ago

Not sure how you keep doing it, but great work on another stellar revision, Robin. It's no wonder we're all so addicted to this place.

Many thanks,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#25 9 years ago

Looking great Robin! Thanks for all your hard work.

Just an FYI, but the Top 100 list is missing #20. It goes from #19 right to #21.

Later,
    EV

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Looking great Robin! Thanks for all your hard work.
    Just an FYI, but the Top 100 list is missing #20. It goes from #19 right to #21.
    Later,
    EV

Simpsons and Tron are currently tied for #19. All is well in the top 100. ...depending on who you ask.

#27 9 years ago

Any way to view the Marketplace Ads in the old format?

Waterfall style is making my eyes swim.

#28 9 years ago

I like the improvements good work.

#29 9 years ago

Just noticed the pinball machine on the new emoticon is Pinside themed! Nice attention to detail!

Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    http://www.ElephantEater.com

#30 9 years ago

Hey, Robin! Great improvements! But how did I lose 100,000 (or so) karma points in the process?

#31 9 years ago

ISSUE? ***************

In marketplace, my search defaults to Page 4 of results (top Nav), but shows Page 1 (bottom Nav).

When I change filters, then hit the links at the bottom to advance to the next page of results, I still wind up on Page 4 on the top, and all filter preferences are gone.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Riles:

+1 I feel the same way

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Simpsons and Tron are currently tied for #19. All is well in the top 100. ...depending on who you ask.

My browser only showed the TSPP at #19, but now that I look at it again, I can see the Tron Pro.

Weird.

Later,
    EV

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

Looking good. Spotted something though...

Thanks! Some leftover debug which wasn't cleaned up properly. Fixed it.

Quoted from Marten:

Hey my flag just disappeared!

Ouch. What country are you from? Hmmm... Netherlands? Hmmm.. Sorry, never heard of it!

JK, will fix soon.

Quoted from pinball_faz:

Batch Edit is going to come in very handy. I hope it's real and not a diagnostic of yours.

Nope, it's there to stay.

Quoted from frolic:

Any thoughts on tackling the Top 100 calculations? Somehow weighing the votes, or dropping older legacy votes of no-longer-active users, somehow managing all the 10s and 0s people give games to push them up or down?

This is in pipeline as well as plans on an alternate ratings system.

Quoted from EchoVictor:

That means two games are tied. I looked and there was a bug in hiding the second "19". Fixed now.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

In marketplace, my search defaults to Page 4 of results (top Nav), but shows Page 1 (bottom Nav).

When I change filters, then hit the links at the bottom to advance to the next page of results, I still wind up on Page 4 on the top, and all filter preferences are gone.

Will look into it, thanks.

Quoted from Riles:

No problem, look for this control at the top of the list and set it to "1".

This control allows you to customize the Market listingThis control allows you to customize the Market listing

#36 9 years ago

Love this forum my only suggestion would be to put a forum button on the bottom of each page so when on a mobile device you don't have to swipe all the way to the top of page to get back to forum page.

#37 9 years ago

This control allows you to customize the Market listing

Screenshot 2014-09-18 13.49.41.p... 3 KB

Thanks

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Love this forum my only suggestion would be to put a forum button on the bottom of each page so when on a mobile device you don't have to swipe all the way to the top of page to get back to forum page.

Screenshot 2014-09-18 14.04.23.pngScreenshot 2014-09-18 14.04.23.png
    Tap on the flippers images at the bottom of every page. Or the jump to top link below it.

Note that this doesn't work for auto-scrolling (E.g. the forum frontpage) pages because you will never reach the bottom (if your internet connection is fast).

In that case, use the reload button showing in each of the page separators:

Screenshot 2014-09-18 14.03.35.pngScreenshot 2014-09-18 14.03.35.png

#39 9 years ago

These are some awesome updates!!!
    I especially like the thread time stamps on the main forum page.
    Well done, Robin.

#40 9 years ago

Thanks for all the work Robin it's no wonder why I can't turn this sight off. Even while on vacation I must have my Pinside!

#41 9 years ago

This control allows you to customize the Market listing

Screenshot 2014-09-18 13.49.41.p... 3 KB

Thanks!

-Riles

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Tap on the flippers images at the bottom of every page. Or the jump to top link below it.

Never knew about the "Flipper Tap" (I stink at post pass).

Is there some hidden button to skip to the top of the next topic in the current list?

All these toys!!! It's like <insert your personal holiday that you get a boatload of toys>!!!

Lots of subtle changes too. Gonna take a long time to digest it all. I know I'm not going to get anything done at work today.
    Oh well, gotta have priorities

On the bug front, I'm not sure, but it looks like "Preview post" is Fischer Price (button does nothing).
    faz

#43 9 years ago

You da man Rob. It may also be Scottish independence day

#44 9 years ago

Looks Great! Thank you!

#45 9 years ago

Thanks for all of the hard work that you put into this site Robin.

#46 9 years ago

Awesome just doesn't cover it. More awesome-er?

#47 9 years ago

thanks.

Reminded me that it is time to re-up my donation.

paypal sent.

Thanks for the great site Robin!

If you are reading this, I encourage others to do the same.

#48 9 years ago

cool stuff Robin, i love the new preview your posts or edits option. still looking for the splash icon

#49 9 years ago

I like it.

#50 9 years ago

Pile on...I'm in....THANK YOU!

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sepember-18-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.