Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 343 posts
  • 135 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3577_(resized).JPG
    IMG_12521.jpg
    IMG_12511.jpg
    20151121_143138.jpg
    BK-NIB-batteries-voltage.jpg
    BK-NIB-MP__no_corrosion.jpg
    MI0001411280.jpg
    2015-01-29-HumblePie.jpg
    BeNice.jpeg
    nfs.jpg
    PAYDAYBITCHES.jpg
    LadiesMan.jpg
    VidWins.jpg
    eneloop-battery-unrolled.jpg
    download_1.jpg
    cat_waiting.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 8 years ago
    Quoted from steve1515:

What about remote battery holders? That's what I have in mine. What do you guys think about those? Vid, how about you?

The train of thought is they are huge helps.. but only a crutch.. they don't address the root problem. Now that NVRAM is so cheap, the argument is 'kill the problem entirely'.

The issue is remote holders still need to have their batteries changed, and leaking batteries even in remotes can still cause damage through vapors and other spreading if not addressed. Remote holders are like 95% solutions... where NVRAM is 99.5% solutions.

I personally don't like the loss of the Real-time clock and the burden of chip removal from the boards.. so I'm sticking with remote batteries and lithiums. But maybe in future games that have no mods yet, I might do a NVRAM.

#302 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure beats choking the chicken.

there's really nothing that beats that. Royal flush? Nope. Walk off homer-game 7 of the world series? Not really. Game winning hail-mary in the super bowl? Not even close. Winning the lottery? Still not convinced...

#303 8 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

That's it? After the way you shot your mouth off?

mattster ran his mouth, took some shit, handled it well and manned up when proven wrong. He deserves a pass in my book

#304 8 years ago
    Quoted from steve1515:

What about remote battery holders? That's what I have in mine. What do you guys think about those? Vid, how about you?

They are a good choice for Midnight Madness games where the clock is important.

Just make sure you mount them nowhere near any boards, and not above any boards either.

-

I used to install remotes in any game I serviced, but now NVRAM is so cheap, I just install that instead. Pays for itself in 2 battery changes.

#305 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

They used a D-Cell battery for effects like the horn smartass.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey, I had trains in the 50's and 60's and none of them had batteries...smartass.

Better a smartass than a dumbass, I always say.

#306 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

$318 I think was the total.

I'll just repair the old one.
    At my usual service rate, I'll probably break even on the $300.

$318 is a cool deal - when I send in a battery leaked CPU board I get it repaired perfectly for below 100EUR (110USD), so you'd actually be making money ruining boards with Energizer batteries.

#307 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They are a good choice for Midnight Madness games where the clock is important.
    Just make sure you mount them nowhere near any boards, and not above any boards either.

The worst battery damage is from the outgassing not actual dripping. I rarely see where fluids have dripped from a battery onto a board. Normally you just see a fan out pattern from the battery holder as the outgassing occurs once the seal is ruptured.

On Williams video game boards the battery holder is located at the lower left corner. The damage is above and to the right where it is impossible for the batteries to drip (unless your gravity works differently than mine).

So if you are going to play really safe, drill a small hole in the back box, run the wires through the hole and mount the battery holder on the outside back of the back box. It will also make it easier for you to replace the batteries on a regular basis.

ken

#308 8 years ago
    Quoted from Yellowdog:

The worst battery damage is from the outgassing not actual dripping. I rarely see where fluids have dripped from a battery onto a board. Normally you just see a fan out pattern from the battery holder as the outgassing occurs once the seal is ruptured.
    On Williams video game boards the battery holder is located at the lower left corner. The damage is above and to the right where it is impossible for the batteries to drip (unless your gravity works differently than mine).

Leaky batteries leak. The acid does not run like paint, it seems to migrate and wick around, similar to oil on cloth, mostly downward.

Got any photos of gas damage that 'normally' happens?

#309 8 years ago
    Quoted from Yellowdog:

So if you are going to play really safe, drill a small hole in the back box, run the wires through the hole and mount the battery holder on the outside back of the back box.

You could also make the wires longer and install a metal battery box populated with all battery holders in a different room...the ultimate solution for keeping your pins safe...just kidding...

Why would anyone drill a hole in a backbox when there are existing vent holes just few inches above???

#310 8 years ago

Better yet why would anyone do this over NVRAM that costs $6?

#311 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

No kidding.

#312 8 years ago

Muh reel tyme klok!

#313 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Who has $6.00 NVRAM? Usual pinball places seem to have the $39.99 ones. I would like to get a few to try, but at $40.00 a pop, I would stick to remote batteries.

#314 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

Who has $6.00 NVRAM? Usual pinball places seem to have the $39.99 ones. I would like to get a few to try, but at $40.00 a pop, I would stick to remote batteries.

Here's what he's referring to:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-experience

#316 8 years ago

Cool, Thanks for the links guys, I am going to give these a try!!

#317 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

You're delusional if you think Energizer is going to refund anything close to 350 for a thirty year old circuit board. Also, if you send them this board, you will never see it again so if it's repairable it would be better to keep it.
    No sense in starting a fight you can't win. The smart thing to do is stop buying their product.

I never do this sort of thing, because it is petty, but fuck it....here I go.

2015-01-29-HumblePie.jpg2015-01-29-HumblePie.jpg

#318 8 years ago

IMHO
    MI0001411280.jpgMI0001411280.jpg

#319 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

2015-01-29-HumblePie.jpg

Hey, I don't mind these posts because I got owned in this thread but I know that every one us gets it wrong from time to time. No exceptions. So yes, I feel stupid but what can I say, I'm human.

#320 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I don't think there's a drop-in chip for < Sys11 is there? You would have to do some desoldering, solder in a socket, and then you still can't use the $6 chip, but have to install an adapter board that has the NVRAM. At least that's what I found when last investigating NVRAM for my Sys7 machines, so I went with remote battery holders.

#321 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

Hey, I don't mind these posts because I got owned in this thread but I know that every one us gets it wrong from time to time. No exceptions. So yes, I feel stupid but what can I say, I'm human.

I have no penis. Now we are even. Internet respect +100 XP

#322 8 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I still remember John's Jukes cross checking a NIB Black Knight that was in his warehouse since 1981. Factory batteries were still on the CPU board and had not leaked, but were over 20+ years old. They were not Duracell OR Energizer, and are a testament to the way things USED to be. Batteries were still dead though, but the machine sold for over $5K and even the BG had not peeled.

Here is one of those NIB Black Knights with original Duracell batteries installed and they did not leak.

BK-NIB-MP_ no_corrosion.JPGBK-NIB-MP_ no_corrosion.JPG

They were completely dead, but intact.

BK-NIB-batteries-voltage.jpgBK-NIB-batteries-voltage.jpg

If anyone wants to see the complete unboxing:

https://www.flippers.com/nib_bk.html

#323 8 years ago

Still had a half volt charge across the three batteries. Very minimal leakage. Lucky lucky.

20151121_143138.jpg20151121_143138.jpg

#324 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Here is one of those NIB Black Knights with original Duracell batteries installed and they did not leak

I wish I could remember how many were found in that warehouse.
    There was at least 3-4?
    It was a really nice score for JJs and the owners.
    Everybody won.
    The remaining ones just kept going up and up and up in price!
    You just do not find things like this much anymore, but happened regularly in the early 90s.

The "cleanliness" of the boards, cabinet, and playfield reminds me of an Embryon that had CPU board cradle death and got packed in the shipping box less than 3 months after being initially routed never to see the light again for over 20 years. It looks nearly identical. That was in 2005!

#325 8 years ago

Wow that was easy. Indicates there is some sort of "acceptable" failure rate in batteries that can not be avoided, or it's not practical or cost effective to correct it. Cheaper to replace the damaged goods.

#326 8 years ago

My little girl was not happy yesterday when we opened this up......Just over 1 year old toy! 2022 date! But thanks to this tread vid they are sending a gift card for $75.00. I mentioned 3 things this year that i found a leaking battery in and was ruined,they asked for the value of each item. I would say excellent customer service.

IMG_12511.jpgIMG_12511.jpg

IMG_12521.jpgIMG_12521.jpg

#327 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

2015-01-29-HumblePie.jpg

One of the greatest rock bands of all time.

Steve Marriott had THE voice, and unlike many of his contemporaries, he could actually sing live.

Well you tell me you want me
    You say that you really care
    Don't you tell me no lies
    When you leave me, honey
    You're gonna have a cross to bear

For there's two kinds of people I just can't stand
    That's a lyin' woman or a beggin' man
    Ain't nobody else gonna take my place
    'Cause I'm just a fool for a pretty face

[Chorus:]
    I been kicked, I been hit
    But it didn't hurt a little bit
    Kicked, pricked, no stick
    Really got my fingers pricked
    I've been hurt by love, oh yeah,
    Hurt by love
    I've been hurt by love
    I've been hurt by love
    I'm just a fool for a pretty face, oh yeah

Well I don't have no reason
    To think that you'd mind
    So why don't you keep your big mouth shut
    Why don't you let your love light shine?
    I don't wanna hurt ya
    I ain't on your case
    But you can bet a nickel to a worn out dime
    I'm just a fool for a pretty face, oh yeah

[Repeat chorus]

Alright...

Listen now

You seem so oh-so sweet
    But how about your after-taste?
    I've been hurt by love so many times before
    Because I'm a fool for a pretty face

#328 8 years ago

Vid:

Did your check finally arrive?

#329 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Vid:
    Did your check finally arrive?

I've been on the road, I'll check over turkey day.

#330 8 years ago

thanks for that, it was kool to see !

Quoted from vid1900:

Here is one of those NIB Black Knights with original Duracell batteries installed and they did not leak.
    BK-NIB-MP_ no_corrosion.JPG
    They were completely dead, but intact.
    BK-NIB-batteries-voltage.jpg
    If anyone wants to see the complete unboxing:
    https://www.flippers.com/nib_bk.html

#331 8 years ago

Thanks for the link Vid. And a good story!

1 week later
    #332 8 years ago

went to my toolbag the other night for my flashlight.. to find it destroyed by the duracell AAs in it. Called them today, they are sending a visa prepaid card to replace it and a coupon for more batteries. Didn't even have to send photos, etc.. just told him the approximate cost of the flashlight and I guess it falls under their pain threshold of needing documentation. Simple enough call..

1 week later
    #333 8 years ago

My son's remote control car just had Duracell batteries leak in them. Batteries were a year old and had expiration of 2024. I called Duracell and what they said is that the leaking is like a safety valve. It may damage parts, but it won't explode. They said it's caused by one battery running down relative to the others. Advised to either change batteries more often, switch them around in the device and/or don't leave the device on for long periods. They compensated me for it.

Just after this happened, I ordered this for my BW games. I have nvram in my stern games. I did not want to solder on the board so I went solderless.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RBM

2 months later
    #334 8 years ago

Think Energizer will pay for these old skool bad boys here?

IMG_3577_(resized).JPGIMG_3577_(resized).JPG

#335 8 years ago

You can call them and see.

Those are the "industrial" batteries that come in bulk packs.

1-800-383-7323

Quoted from vid1900:

I'm sure a bunch of pinheads will immediately get off on the wrong foot with "Hey, I want a new board!!! There was a guy on the forum that got a new board, I want one too!!! You guys make crappy batteries nowadays!!!"
    They really seemed nice through the entire process.
    I used my best corporate voice, let them lead the process, and kept my part of the conversation on point. My emails were formatted like a professional business letter.
    I did not claim that I was an expert.
    I did not claim that I had 47 pinball machines.
    I did not say that I saw online that many of their batteries leak.
    I was just Joe Homeowner with some leaking AA cells.
    The moment you start shooting your mouth off, bragging how much your pinball machine is worth, pointing out forum posts as examples, saying that old batteries never leaked - you are going to put them on the ropes and they are going to do the least to help you out.

#336 8 years ago

Batteries expired in 2004. Maybe the previous owner should've changed them?

11 months later
    #337 7 years ago

well,
    any update?

#338 7 years ago

I wonder how many of the handheld electronic games I've been hoarding for years and not always remembering to remove the batteries from they will compensate me for before they tell me to get lost? I'm going to find out, what have I got to lose?

Seriously, I must have thousands piled up for eventual eBay resale...

1 year later
    #339 5 years ago

Unfortunately I missed the 2 year deadline.

Energizer® No Leaks. Guaranteed.

Energizer will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by leakage from Energizer MAX® Alkaline batteries either during the life of the battery or within two years following the full use of the battery. If exact replacement is not available, devices may be replaced with a product of comparable market value at the time of claim. Leaking battery and damaged device must be provided to Energizer as proof of claim. Energizer reserves the right to deny claims of damage caused by misuse or modification of the batteries or device. If you have a leaking battery, contact 1-800-383-7323 for return instructions.

#340 5 years ago
    Quoted from pindel:

Unfortunately I missed the 2 year deadline.

Did you inquire? There is one thread I pushed a pinsider to inquire on 10 year old expired leaked Duracell batteries and he happened to get a new Rottendog MPU out of that one. May not happen here, but worth the time to send an email with pictures of the batteries on the board showing the expiration date. They will want you to send the board and batteries to them if they accept it.

#341 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you inquire? There is one thread I pushed a pinsider to inquire on 10 year old expired leaked Duracell batteries and he happened to get a new Rottendog MPU out of that one. May not happen here, but worth the time to send an email with pictures of the batteries on the board showing the expiration date. They will want you to send the board and batteries to them if they accept it.

Yes. I was told the limit is two years. I’m at 4 years. Maybe an exception for someone closer to two years. Didn’t want a fight or headache but worth checking out.

#342 5 years ago

That is 2 years after the expiration date, correct?

#343 5 years ago
    Quoted from urbanledge:

well,
    any update?

The Energizer check cleared my bank, no problem.

(not that I expected the check to bounce, lol)

The original board got Snobowled, repaired and has been back in service.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stripping-battery-corrosion-with-a-strong-acid

There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sending-battery-damaged-mpu-back-to-energizer/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.