4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 343 posts
  • 135 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3577_(resized).JPG
    IMG_12521.jpg
    IMG_12511.jpg
    20151121_143138.jpg
    BK-NIB-batteries-voltage.jpg
    BK-NIB-MP__no_corrosion.jpg
    MI0001411280.jpg
    2015-01-29-HumblePie.jpg
    BeNice.jpeg
    nfs.jpg
    PAYDAYBITCHES.jpg
    LadiesMan.jpg
    VidWins.jpg
    eneloop-battery-unrolled.jpg
    download_1.jpg
    cat_waiting.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
    #251 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

So the check appears to be the cost of the board and shipping.

Well done!

#252 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I was just Joe Homeowner with some leaking AA cells.

I knew it! I knew it! That you would eventually reveal your real name. Hello Joe!

#253 4 years ago

Lol. Vid needs to teach the average teenage social media user how to protect their identity. He doesn't leave a single digital trail behind.

#254 4 years ago

Here comes the flood...nice work!

#255 4 years ago

Well I guess that shows you that they honor their warranty.
    Glad you were able to get your money for the board.

At least I know if I ever need to file a claim the option is there!
    Thank you for posting this thread!

#256 4 years ago

I am most definately going to do this the next time I buy a machine, open it up, and find battery damage, BEFORE I whip out the desolder station

#257 4 years ago

There is a lesson to be learned here : QUIT USING BATTERIES IN YOUR PINBALL MACHINES !!!!

Switch to NVRAM, right now.

I've been switching out my games anytime one needs service, but now I'm going to accelerate the transition from batteries.

#258 4 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I am most definately going to do this the next time I buy a machine, open it up, and find battery damage, BEFORE I whip out the desolder station

Have to check the date on those batteries first!

#259 4 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Have to check the date on those batteries first!

You mean I can't grab my Sharpie and change the date?

#260 4 years ago

Now we'll find out if their check is as good as their batteries.

#261 4 years ago

That's brilliant. Well done!

#262 4 years ago

Vid for President !

#263 4 years ago

Congrats Vid!
    I never doubted you for a second...

PAYDAYBITCHES.jpg

#264 4 years ago

Brilliant move and impressed you pulled it off. Honestly, I'm surprised none of us have thought to do this!

#265 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

$318 I think was the total.

I'll just repair the old one.
    At my usual service rate, I'll probably break even on the $300.

Congrats!
    Now I can't help but wonder what the hell else am I wrong about!?

#266 4 years ago

Vid did what a lot of people forget to do these days, be nice.

#268 4 years ago

You can't try to make me feel guilty!

#269 4 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

Congrats!

That's it? After the way you shot your mouth off?

Quoted from mattster:

You're delusional if you think Energizer is going to refund anything close to 350 for a thirty year old circuit board.

Quoted from mattster:

It's a naive and futile pursuit IMO. Just sayin.

Quoted from mattster:

... all he's going to end up with is an insult

Quoted from mattster:

Nothing wild about my guess. There is no possible way that vid1900 will see signifigant compensation.

#270 4 years ago

It's gotta be that Channel 7 story.

#271 4 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

You are asking the wrong person. Your wife has the answers you seek.

#272 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Lol. Vid needs to teach the average teenage social media user how to protect their identity. He doesn't leave a single digital trail behind.

well he keeps his name the same as his handle, so i do not think he is hiding too much.

Also, if anyone watches adult entertainment you already know him...

#273 4 years ago

The only thing I know is an obscure Russian mobster movie where he has a short one-liner scene late in the evening.

#274 4 years ago

Wow very nice Vid. I am impressed.

Next time i get a wasted board with the leaking offenders still installed I will give this a try. I agree you probably have to play it cool like average joe homeowner.

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Wow very nice Vid. I am impressed.
    Next time i get a wasted board with the leaking offenders still installed I will give this a try. I agree you probably have to play it cool like average joe homeowner.

Yeh, keep it downplayed. I think if you were a game route operator and said "your batteries leaked all over my board in my machine on location" they would probably tell you to fuck off because it's a commercial use.

#276 4 years ago

Pics of the cheque or it didn't happen............

#277 4 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Lol, why? So you can phish for routing numbers?

#278 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

What were you hoping for, a crying youtube video of him begging for forgivness? He came back and admitted he was wrong. Bravo for him to come back and serve himself up some crow.

Now there is someone else in this thread who should do the same thing. My guess is they won't.

#279 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure beats choking the chicken.

no....no it doesn't.

#280 4 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Funny you mention that, I just got the check back from my bank today.

nfs.jpg

#281 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Vid did what a lot of people forget to do these days, be nice

BeNice.jpeg

#282 4 years ago

Not surprised at the result, to be honest.

Had some Duracell's kill a $100 flashlight on me a couple years ago. They said to send it in, and they promptly lost it before it even got into their system as received. Told me to call back in two weeks. Two weeks later I called back, they still hadn't found it, yet still mailed a check for the value.

#283 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Funny you mention that, I just got the check back from my bank today.

nfs.jpg

Their check bounced?

#284 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Their check bounced?

No, that was a joke.

It takes 2 weeks for a check to bounce.

#285 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Yup.
    I was wrong about whether he would get a refund check, not about whether he murdered his family or not.

#286 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No, that was a joke.

Well you should have put a after then.

#287 4 years ago

Im really surprised to hear that they are sending a check. Congrats Vid! I mentioned earlier in this thread I had a $500 piece of telescope equipment go bad because of one year old energizers that leaked. I wound up trying to clear the corrosion off before I took any pictures, bummer. I will be telling others about this "standing" behind thier warranty as others I know who had the same issue and never pursued the warranty claim. Pissed at myself as I already bought the piece that failed. Good job Vid.

#288 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I don't recall Duracells or Energizers having a rep for leaking before they started producing them in China.

Tell that to my Lionel trains from the 60s with acid damage

#289 4 years ago

That it really awesome that they stood behind their warranty and good for you !

#290 4 years ago

Duracell has a similar warranty:

http://www.duracell.com/en-us/guarantee

Rayovac also has a warranty, but only if the expiration date on the batteries has not been passed:

http://www.rayovac.com/contact/warranty-and-guarantee.aspx

Fuji Batteries also has a similar warranty to Rayovac: "We will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by these batteries, if device and batteries are sent freight prepaid to undermentioned address. Guarantee void if batteries are charged."

http://fujibatteries.com/contact-us

#291 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

There is a lesson to be learned here : QUIT USING BATTERIES IN YOUR PINBALL MACHINES !!!!
    Switch to NVRAM, right now.
    I've been switching out my games anytime one needs service, but now I'm going to accelerate the transition from batteries.

How is that the lesson learned?

I think Pinside learned that Energizer is going to give out $300 checks for pictures showing that Energizer batteries leaked onto a CPU board. Much like when someone posts about how Stern sent out a replacement part (playfield, decals, whatever) for a shared problem.

Not that I (and others) don't appreciate your efforts, but you ain't gonna teach some of the cheap bastards around here anything except where to get some free money

Now, where did I put that stack of corroded WPC89 CPU boards...

#292 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

How is that the lesson learned?

Because even batteries that were installed Jan 2nd, leaked with a vengeance, with years left on their expiration date.

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Not that I (and others) don't appreciate you doing and sharing this, but you ain't gonna teach some of the cheap bastards around here anything except where to get some free money

It's not free money.

Your game is now not original with the Rottendog board in it.

Your matched serial # board set is gone.

Your time has to be worth something (mine is).

#293 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Because even batteries that were installed Jan 2nd, leaked with a vengeance, with years left on their expiration date.

It's not free money.
    Your game is now not original with the Rottendog board in it.
    Your matched serial # board set is gone.
    Your time has to be worth something (mine is).

I agree on all points. I don't put alkaline batteries in any games either.

But a lot of people here don't care about the serial #s, would prefer Rottendog (newer is better!), and don't always value time

But on a serious note, I think the key here is actually having batteries leak before the expiration date. I'm sure most acid damaged CPUs were damaged by expired batteries, which sat for years after expiration, and probably when the game was owned by someone else.

Glad they honored their warranty for you. Nice to see some companies still doing that.

#294 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Tell that to my Lionel trains from the 60s with acid damage

You had battery powered trains?

#295 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Ha! As an experiment, I created a Quora account that would be very hard to trace back to me.

I first created an email account specifically for the Quora account. I specified that it was an online service. Gmail and Outlook.com required mobile phone numbers, so I looked elsewhere. I found that ProtonMail and Tutanota were the best free online email services that didn't require phone verification. ProtonMail was not accepting new accounts due to demand, so I used Tutanota. I created the account with an alias, then signed up for a Quora account with the same alias. I access all of the services related to the account solely through Tor, so that my actual IP address has never been connected to either account. Even if an email from Quora were intercepted en route to or on Tutanota's servers, Tutanota encrypts all mail, so it would still require decryption to read.

#296 4 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

But a lot of people here don't care about the serial #s, would prefer Rottendog (newer is better!), and don't always value time

I beg to differ. It's really neat to crack open a game and find all matching serial numbers. I wouldn't pay extra per-say, but it can be a selling point.

Rottendog/pinballpcb/etc are all well and good, and have saved many games from being parted or trashed, but I'd rather keep things original. Right now, one of my system 80 games came with a rottendog MPU when I bought it, but I'm working in repairing an original board to replace it. I've basically used the rottendog as a test board while repairing other games.

As for time...yeah, I probably waste time on areas in games that probably wouldn't matter to someone else, but I do it for enjoyment rather than to make money. But it probably isn't the best or most efficient use of my time, considering I'm up to my ears in projects.

#297 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I beg to differ. It's really neat to crack open a game and find all matching serial numbers. I wouldn't pay extra per-say, but it can be a selling point.
    Rottendog/pinballpcb/etc are all well and good, and have saved many games from being parted or trashed, but I'd rather keep things original. Right now, one of my system 80 games came with a rottendog MPU when I bought it, but I'm working in repairing an original board to replace it. I've basically used the rottendog as a test board while repairing other games.
    As for time...yeah, I probably waste time on areas in games that probably wouldn't matter to someone else, but I do it for enjoyment rather than to make money. But it probably isn't the best or most efficient use of my time, considering I'm up to my ears in projects.

Completely agree

#298 4 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

You had battery powered trains?

They used a D-Cell battery for effects like the horn smartass.
    http://www.postwarlionel.com/cgi-bin/postwar?ITEM=2243

#299 4 years ago

What about remote battery holders? That's what I have in mine. What do you guys think about those? Vid, how about you?

#300 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

They used a D-Cell battery for effects like the horn smartass.
    http://www.postwarlionel.com/cgi-bin/postwar?ITEM=2243

Hey, I had trains in the 50's and 60's and none of them had batteries...smartass.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Lit Frames
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 64.95
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    £ 32.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 60.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 445.00
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside