Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 343 posts
  • 135 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3577_(resized).JPG
    IMG_12521.jpg
    IMG_12511.jpg
    20151121_143138.jpg
    BK-NIB-batteries-voltage.jpg
    BK-NIB-MP__no_corrosion.jpg
    MI0001411280.jpg
    2015-01-29-HumblePie.jpg
    BeNice.jpeg
    nfs.jpg
    PAYDAYBITCHES.jpg
    LadiesMan.jpg
    VidWins.jpg
    eneloop-battery-unrolled.jpg
    download_1.jpg
    cat_waiting.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 8 years ago

Eneloops are great but you have to order them online, I haven't found a retailer for them. They also work great in low voltage situations that require low current over time.

#202 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Eneloops are great but you have to order them online, I haven't found a retailer for them. They also work great in low voltage situations that require low current over time.

Seemingly, anything worthwhile must be ordered online.

Home Depot and Lowes are full of shoddy low end products.

#203 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Eneloops are great but you have to order them online, I haven't found a retailer for them

Bestbuy and Costco have them, but it's way cheaper to buy online.

#204 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It seems they are Lowes "house brand", so I don't know if they are big enough to draw counterfeiters?

I'm not sure since their CFL bulbs are pretty awesome and last forever. Perhaps they just use a bad supplier for their batteries.

#205 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Perhaps they just use a bad supplier for their batteries.

According to their MSDS, the Utilitech are made by the Zheliang Mustang Battery Company.

They are worse than even the Harbor Freight and CVS ones in this shootout:

1. Duracell Alkaline – Continuous run time 5:20 (dim 4:50) (cost for test 42 cents per battery)
    2. Harbor Freight & Tools Thunderbolt Alkaline – Continuous run time 5:00 (dim at 4:50) (18 cents per battery)
    3. CVS Brand Alkaline – Continuous run time 4:58 (dim at 4:20) (25 cents per battery if BOGO)
    4. Sunbeam Alkaline – Continuous run time 4:54 (dim at 3:24) (25 cents per battery)
    5. Utilitech Alkaline (Lowes store brand) – Continuous run time 3:51 (dim at 3:30) (27 cents per battery at normal store price.)

#206 8 years ago

I still remember John's Jukes cross checking a NIB Black Knight that was in his warehouse since 1981. Factory batteries were still on the CPU board and had not leaked, but were over 20+ years old. They were not Duracell OR Energizer, and are a testament to the way things USED to be. Batteries were still dead though, but the machine sold for over $5K and even the BG had not peeled.

#207 8 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I still remember John's Jukes cross checking a NIB Black Knight that was in his warehouse since 1981. Factory batteries were still on the CPU board and had not leaked. They were not Duracell OR Energizer.

That is because they where "heavy duty" batteries. Different chemistry. While those batteries can leak, they seem to be less likely to do so than an alkaline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc%E2%80%93carbon_battery

#208 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Probably one of those $2,000 blue laser pointers that can start fires?

Those are not that expensive. I bought 6 of them for $300 the last time I was in China.

#209 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

That is because they where "heavy duty" batteries. Different chemistry.

That's my point.
    Be cheap, pay the price, that is the reality of today's "throw away" world.
    I have not used an akaline set of batteries on my boards since 1998, or a machine purchased after that time.'
    Heavy duty, remote pack WITH plastic bag.
    You can still easily find them if a person is not lazy.

#210 8 years ago
    Quoted from WonkoTSane:

Those are not that expensive. I bought 6 of them for $300 the last time I was in China.

I just checked and they have come way down, even here in the USA a 2w+ is $300.

#211 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I just checked and they have come way down, even here in the USA a 2w+ is $300.

I bought 6 of the 10w blue lasers for $50 each and the guy tossed in a 2w green laser pointer for free because I was such a good customer. The markets in Shenzhen are amazing places.

#212 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They are much less likely to leak than alkaline batteries, but they do occasionally leak or vent.
    The only batteries I can't seem to get to leak are the Sanyo Eneloop.
    The guys on the Canon photography forums worship them.
    They do finally die after about 7 years, but there does not seem to be anything inside them to leak out:
    eneloop-battery-unrolled.jpg

Hey Vid, Are those the rechargeable batteries? The Eneloop ones? Any AA charger work charging them?

#213 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

Hey Vid, Are those the rechargeable batteries? The Eneloop ones? Any AA charger work charging them?

Yep, rechargeable.

Any AA charger that will do NiMH should be fine.

#214 8 years ago

Thanks, I am going to look into those!

#215 8 years ago

Nickel Metal Hydride batteries are a better choice over NiCD due to extended charge capacity. I do not recommend lithium. The best option right now remains NVRAM, but replacing all games with this can be expensive if you have a large collection.

#216 8 years ago

I use those eneloop batteries at home a lot. You're saying I can use them in my pins too? I didn't know this. Any downside? Do they last?

#217 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

What's to stop anyone from claiming energizer batteries leaked and just throw in leaky ones into a crappy board that already got leaked on? Just curious..

Honesty and Integrity I imagine. Some days that's all we have and some days it's all we need.

#218 8 years ago

#219 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

They are rechargeable and Costco sells them. The question is: do they ever leak? How long will they hold a charge in a pinball machine?

#220 8 years ago
    Quoted from reynolds531:

They are rechargeable and Costco sells them. The question is: do they ever leak? How long will they hold a charge in a pinball machine?

All batteries can "leak" in different ways, based on their composition (non technical answer, as this is not a chemistry lesson) some just some have less chance and are more dangerous than others based on propensity and quality of manufacturer methods. Rechargeable batteries will last for years in pinball machines. Current use is very low.

The only way currently to completely eliminate the problem is NVRAM.

#221 8 years ago

Any word back from Eveready yet about whether they will cover this board or not?

#222 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

» YouTube video

so the moral of the story is. Don't replace your star trek LE laser with one of these.

#223 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Any word back from Eveready yet about whether they will cover this board or not?

I don't see why they would not cover it as long as the battery did the damage. The cost for that is nothing for them.

#224 8 years ago

I'm curious as to how long the resolution will be. Will they take care of this right away or will they drag it out for a long time?

#225 8 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I don't see why they would not cover it as long as the battery did the damage. The cost for that is nothing for them.

Yes, for this one item. But if everyone that had battery damage sent things in....it would cost a lot to fix/replace.

#226 8 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Yea I'm dying to hear their response. I wish I had done this with my System 9 board

#227 8 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Yes, for this one item. But if everyone that had battery damage sent things in....it would cost a lot to fix/replace.

I understand, but they don't . So I would hope they take care of this in a timely manner.

#228 8 years ago

I agree, it would set precedents. Do it for one , do it for all. Sorry to say I just don't see it happening.

Good luck

#229 8 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

I agree, it would set precedents. Do it for one , do it for all. Sorry to say I just don't see it happening.
    Good luck

Then maybe they shouldn't make a product that fails (or don't make the guarantee)?

#230 8 years ago
    Quoted from reynolds531:

i thought i read somewhere you have to mod the battery holder with a diode if you want to use rechargeable batteries in your pin but i might be mistaken.

#231 8 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i thought i read somewhere you have to mod the battery holder with a diode if you want to use rechargeable batteries in your pin but i might be mistaken.

I would not try and have the 5v rail of a PCB try and charge AA style batteries without testing and some paper theory. It might work, it might explode. I am thinking you would need to do more than just jumpering over the diode. Probably need some sort of resistor to limit current going to the battery.

#232 8 years ago

You can use a 4.8v Lithium battery in place of the AA's, but you will need a fast-switching diode in series to prevent trickle charging, yet still apply the backup voltage to the MPU. A decent lithium battery will last 10 years and NEVER leak on your PC board. And you won't have to worry about alkaline damage.

#233 8 years ago

Energizer is sending a check.

#234 8 years ago

Partial or full compensation, Vid?

#235 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

Partial or full compensation, Vid?

Full.

It was really a no hassle process.

#236 8 years ago

Do you get the old board back too?

#237 8 years ago

Wow that's great! I wonder how they will treat other people when they start making claims for their pinball boards?

#238 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Do you get the old board back too?

Never had to send in the board.

I sent a bunch of excellent, well lit, well focused pics.

#239 8 years ago

Too bad we can't file claims against GE for their leaking nicad batteries on the classic Bally/Stern MPU boards. I'd be rich if I could.

#240 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Never had to send in the board.
    I sent a bunch of excellent, well lit, well focused pics.

That's great!
    I'm guessing they might have been a little intimidated.

VidWins.jpgVidWins.jpg

#241 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Full.
    It was really a no hassle process.

So then what is the amount of the check?

Will you be buying a Rottendog replacement board?

#242 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Wow that's great! I wonder how they will treat other people when they start making claims for their pinball boards?

I'm sure a bunch of pinheads will immediately get off on the wrong foot with "Hey, I want a new board!!! There was a guy on the forum that got a new board, I want one too!!! You guys make crappy batteries nowadays!!!"

They really seemed nice through the entire process.

I used my best corporate voice, let them lead the process, and kept my part of the conversation on point. My emails were formatted like a professional business letter.

I did not claim that I was an expert.

I did not claim that I had 47 pinball machines.

I did not say that I saw online that many of their batteries leak.

I was just Joe Homeowner with some leaking AA cells.

The moment you start shooting your mouth off, bragging how much your pinball machine is worth, pointing out forum posts as examples, saying that old batteries never leaked - you are going to put them on the ropes and they are going to do the least to help you out.

#243 8 years ago

You just opened up Energizer to a rampant amount of board claims.

Congrats on getting a replacement check.

#244 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

So then what is the amount of the check?

$318 I think was the total.

Quoted from KenLayton:

Will you be buying a Rottendog replacement board?

I'll just repair the old one.

At my usual service rate, I'll probably break even on the $300.

#245 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

$318 I think was the total.

Just wondering, but did they come up with that thought their own research?

#246 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

You just opened up Energizer to a rampant amount of board claims.

Duracell, Rayovac, Energizer, Sony, Kodak, Panasonic .... they all seem to have the exact same warranty.

If any of them destroy a board, call and make a claim.

#247 8 years ago

Vid can now get back to doing the more enjoyable things in life.

LadiesMan.jpgLadiesMan.jpg

#248 8 years ago
    Quoted from steve1515:

Just wondering, but did they come up with that thought their own research?

They asked me for the exact board number/name/model.

They asked me if I had any idea what the board's replacement would cost.

I said that on Google I had found a place called K's Arcade that had the board in stock.

So the check appears to be the cost of the board and shipping.

#249 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Vid can now get back to doing the more enjoyable things in life.
    LadiesMan.jpg

Choking chicks is the best.

#250 8 years ago

Sure beats choking the chicken.

There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sending-battery-damaged-mpu-back-to-energizer/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.