Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 343 posts
  • 135 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3577_(resized).JPG
    IMG_12521.jpg
    IMG_12511.jpg
    20151121_143138.jpg
    BK-NIB-batteries-voltage.jpg
    BK-NIB-MP__no_corrosion.jpg
    MI0001411280.jpg
    2015-01-29-HumblePie.jpg
    BeNice.jpeg
    nfs.jpg
    PAYDAYBITCHES.jpg
    LadiesMan.jpg
    VidWins.jpg
    eneloop-battery-unrolled.jpg
    download_1.jpg
    cat_waiting.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

First rule of Pinside.... Don't question the vid1900
    Great thread also vid

Do question me!

My stockbroker urged me to buy a stock that would triple its value in 5 years. I told him, '"At my age, I don't even buy green bananas."

#152 8 years ago

duracell_leaking.jpgduracell_leaking.jpg

vid:
    that's not acid leakage, it's quite apparent that's just some of the excess power that duracell has managed to pack inside the battery just aching to be used!!!

#153 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Well the latter would be kinda racist wouldn't it? I figured shitty QC and a long hot boat ride. Hopefully you can calm down now....
    YouPCBRo.png

Cool meme!

#154 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

The problems started after they were *forced* by the government regulations to remove mercury and lead from their formulas.

Please stop being so rational.

#155 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Please stop being so rational.

Yes because having more Lead in our lives is a good thing? Honestly I have been using Japanese Eneloop NiMH type batteries since ~2002 and my original ones still seem to be working fine. Every year or two I seem to buy more, as they go into devices around the house.

I cheaped out and did not put them in a custom Xbox joystick I built as I did not use it often. Sure enough, I find the Duracells leaked (fortunately I think just the battery holder "got it").

#156 8 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yes because having more Lead in our lives is a good thing?

If people would just dispose of batteries properly, we'd be OK.

-

Absolutely 100% true story:

I'm walking my dog in the morning and my 85 year old neighbor drives by and a AA battery bounces from behind her car. I put it in my pocket and throw it in my recycle bin.

Maybe 2 weeks latter, she drives past me and 2 more batteries fall from her car, but this time I believe she has poked them out of her window that is open about 1 inch. Near the curb about 5 feet ahead, there is another battery, flattened; same odd drugstore brand.

I see her at church a few months latter and I ask her if she has been throwing batteries out of her car.

She says, "I know I'll get in a lot of trouble if they find them in my garbage bags, and I'm NOT going to drag that recycle bin all the way to the curb to put batteries in there!".

I say "You could put paper, glass, tin cans, a lot of stuff in the recycle bin...."

She "Too much work, but I know the batteries hurt our planet, so I don't want to get in trouble throwing them away in the garbage"

Vid, "OK just put them in my mailbox and I'll recycle them"

Every few months I find a few batteries in my mailbox. I guess it's less trouble to bring them down to my house, than to put them in her, or her neighbor's recycle bin.

#157 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If people would just dispose of batteries properly, we'd be OK.
    -
    Absolutely 100% true story:
    I'm walking my dog in the morning and my 85 year old neighbor drives by and a AA battery bounces from behind her car. I put it in my pocket and throw it in my recycle bin.
    Maybe 2 weeks latter, she drives past me and 2 more batteries fall from her car, but this time I believe she has poked them out of her window that is open about 1 inch. Near the curb about 5 feet ahead, there is another battery, flattened; same odd drugstore brand.
    I see her at church a few months latter and I ask her if she has been throwing batteries out of her car.
    She says, "I know I'll get in a lot of trouble if they find them in my garbage bags, and I'm NOT going to drag that recycle bin all the way to the curb to put batteries in there!".
    I say "You could put paper, glass, tin cans, a lot of stuff in the recycle bin...."
    She "Too much work, but I know the batteries hurt our planet, so I don't want to get in trouble throwing them away in the garbage"
    Vid, "OK just put them in my mailbox and I'll recycle them"
    Every few months I find a few batteries in my mailbox. I guess it's less trouble to bring them down to my house, than to put them in her, or her neighbor's recycle bin.

Bwuh?

Good grief

#158 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I see her at church a few months latter

Vid in church? How did you manage not bursting into flames as you walked past the threshold?

#159 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Vid in church? How did you manage not bursting into flames as you walked past the threshold?

There's all kinds of churches.......

#160 8 years ago

This week I had a $500 piece of telescope equipment fail because of leaked energizers. Corrosion on the springs that traveled through the wires. They were put in about 6 months ago ( new) with expiration of 6/18. I doubt I would have any success from thier guarantee. I ve had good luck over the years using energizers. Seems to be luck of the draw.

#161 8 years ago

This thread made me check my Kirkland AAs that have been sitting in my Minelab for a couple years. 8 batteries and amazingly no leakage. Thing spends most of the time at the beach when I actually use it too.

#162 8 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

This week I had a $500 piece of telescope equipment fail because of leaked energizers. Corrosion on the springs that traveled through the wires. They were put in about 6 months ago ( new) with expiration of 6/18. I doubt I would have any success from thier guarantee. I ve had good luck over the years using energizers. Seems to be luck of the draw.

I would try anyway. It's not like asking them costs anything other than a few minutes of phone or email time.

#163 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Every few months I find a few batteries in my mailbox. I guess it's less trouble to bring them down to my house, than to put them in her, or her neighbor's recycle bin

Makes one wonder what she's running all of those batt... er... n/m.

#164 8 years ago

Our local Home Depot recycles batteries, as well as compact florescent bulbs.

However, does the company that picks up her trash check it for batteries? Mine stops at the curb, dumps the trashcan with a mechanical arm, and drives off.

#165 8 years ago
    Quoted from TrainH2o:

However, does the company that picks up her trash check it for batteries?

She thinks they do.

I'm not going to tell her any different.

#166 8 years ago

I once put a bunch of paint cans in the trash. No way they didn't know when the can was like 300 pounds.

#167 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Makes one wonder what she's running all of those batt... er... n/m.

90% of all household dust is human skin.

#168 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I once put a bunch of paint cans in the trash. No way they didn't know when the can was like 300 pounds.

Habitat for Humanity takes all our paint.

They mix similar colors together and paint houses with it.

#169 8 years ago

One time, Atari put a ton of E.T cartridges in a landfill. Then they made a documentary about it!

#170 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Paint in dried form is usually acceptable to dispose of in most municipalities; check with yours. We take old carpet, cut it in strips, dump the paint on it, let it dry, roll it up and throw it away. For smaller amounts, say a gallon or two, they sell hardening agents. Just leave the lids off so it can be seen that it is solidified. Or as as vid suggests, donate it to a charity. We give large drums of scrap paint to a charity that paints structures in 3rd world countries. image.pngimage.png

#171 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#172 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They mix similar colors together and paint houses with it.

There was an episode of dirty jobs with a similar recycle path. In SF they collect and separate acrylic and latex and mix separately and end up with free gray paint for residents.

#173 8 years ago

well that sucks. I just threw out some leaky energizers not to long ago. I think I'll throw some new batteries in every acid damaged board I have, and just play the waiting game.

cat_waiting.jpgcat_waiting.jpg

#174 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Paint in dried form is usually acceptable to dispose of in most municipalities; check with yours.

Oh I checked. They do take dried cans. Also, where I live is outside of any city limits, so we do not have city trash pickup. We pay a 3rd party company to get ours, and I have an ongoing war with them.

When cleaning the garage:

download (1).jpgdownload (1).jpg

#175 8 years ago

I wish there was a policy for people that "repair" mpus. I've got like 3 mutiliated SYS11 MPUs, totally non-fixable (well, techinically they could be, if you wanna invest 40+ hrs wiring new traces all over the place).

BTW, if anyone wants one of these mutations for practice &/or the few parts I haven't yanked from them (two of them have display decoders & relays, although I can't tell you if they actually work), PM me. I'll mail one to you as long as you cover my shipping. None of them have RAM, CPUS, EPROMS or Audio DAC/DWM ICs. A few PIAs on some, probably non-working. When I say these are non-fixable, I mean like alkaline damage + the worst amateur solderer on the planet had their hands on it.

#176 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

90% of all household dust is human skin.

Urban legend.

#177 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Paint in dried form is usually acceptable to dispose of in most municipalities; check with yours. We take old carpet, cut it in strips, dump the paint on it, let it dry, roll it up and throw it away. For smaller amounts, say a gallon or two, they sell hardening agents. Just leave the lids off so it can be seen that it is solidified. Or as as vid suggests, donate it to a charity. We give large drums of scrap paint to a charity that paints structures in 3rd world countries. image.png

Cat litter works just as well and is a lot cheaper.

#178 8 years ago

Dryer lint.....

#179 8 years ago

I love threads like this. It's like a little drama that you want to follow. With some of the crap on t.v these days this seriously isn't that far away. Lets switch on the tube and see how vid is going with his battery show.

#180 8 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

I love threads like this. It's like a little drama that you want to follow. With some of the crap on t.v these days this seriously isn't that far away. Lets switch on the tube and see how vid is going with his battery show.

Batteries? I thought this thread was about paint!

WHAaaaa?

#181 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Batteries? I thought this thread was about paint!
    WHAaaaa?

It is......it's about painted batteries right?

#182 8 years ago

I'm still puzzled how Vid is able to send a board 'back' to a place it's never been before.

He really is able to perform magic with pinball parts.

#183 8 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Yup.

#184 8 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I'm still puzzled how Vid is able to send a board 'back' to a place it's never been before.

The pin board he's returning had faulty batteries in it. The battery manufacturer has a warranty to repair or replace destroyed products that are caused by their battery.

#185 8 years ago

They will probably make you return the entire machine!

#186 8 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Cat litter works just as well and is a lot cheaper.

Not by my experience but I'm glad it has worked for you. I dispose of roughly 300 gallons of paint a year. A portion of that I pay a disposal company $275.00 to haul a 55 gallon drum away. If I don't show I have a recycling program, the wonderfully intelligent epa folks assume I'm pouring it down the drain regardless of if I donate it or dispose of it legally.

#187 8 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The pin board he's returning had faulty batteries in it. The battery manufacturer has a warranty to repair or replace destroyed products that are caused by their battery.

I think you missed the point of his jest.

#188 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I think you missed the point of his jest.

I find it difficult to discern sarcasm on the Internet.

#189 8 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I find it difficult to discern sarcasm on the Internet.

That's why he put the "return" in "".

#190 8 years ago

Following cause I'm curious!

#191 8 years ago

I had some Energizer AA batteries leak in my Apple Mouse. Still had time on the exp date. I contacted them, had to send them pictures for proof, and they sent me a check for the cost of the mouse. I didn't even have to send them the mouse or old batteries, just pictures.

Chris

#192 8 years ago

I always thought those battery guarantees excluded "commercial" equipment. I believe they will tell you that a pinball machine constitutes a commercial device and therefore is not covered...

#193 8 years ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

I always thought those battery guarantees excluded "commercial" equipment. I believe they will tell you that a pinball machine constitutes a commercial device and therefore is not covered...

Ah, but what if you tell them it is now in home use and not on location?

#194 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Ah, but what if you tell them it is now in home use and not on location?

They'll ask for a picture of the shooter lane and whether the goody bag is still stapled.

#195 8 years ago

Vid have you seen the Energizer Lithium AA's leak?

#196 8 years ago

Utilitech AAs are horrible. I had a couple of big packs I had to completely throw out because just about every one leaked in the package. I wonder if they were counterfeit?

#197 8 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Vid have you seen the Energizer Lithium AA's leak?

They are much less likely to leak than alkaline batteries, but they do occasionally leak or vent.

The only batteries I can't seem to get to leak are the Sanyo Eneloop.

The guys on the Canon photography forums worship them.

They do finally die after about 7 years, but there does not seem to be anything inside them to leak out:

eneloop-battery-unrolled.jpgeneloop-battery-unrolled.jpg

#198 8 years ago

This is why I have NVRam installed on all my games now. I was changing my batteries every 6 months and I still has some leak inside CV. Luckily, no board damage but It made quite a lot of green crusties on the battery holder in a very short time.I just barely caught it before it started migrating onto the board. Now I'm not taking any chances anymore.

Looking forward to see the outcome of this. Thanks for being brave enough to send the board out for our benefit, Vid. Especially with no guarantee it'll be resolved or even returned!

#199 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Utilitech AAs are horrible. I had a couple of big packs I had to completely throw out because just about every one leaked in the package. I wonder if they were counterfeit?

It seems they are Lowes "house brand", so I don't know if they are big enough to draw counterfeiters?

#200 8 years ago

subscribing... I want to see how this turns out.

There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sending-battery-damaged-mpu-back-to-energizer/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.