Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 343 posts
  • 135 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3577_(resized).JPG
    IMG_12521.jpg
    IMG_12511.jpg
    20151121_143138.jpg
    BK-NIB-batteries-voltage.jpg
    BK-NIB-MP__no_corrosion.jpg
    MI0001411280.jpg
    2015-01-29-HumblePie.jpg
    BeNice.jpeg
    nfs.jpg
    PAYDAYBITCHES.jpg
    LadiesMan.jpg
    VidWins.jpg
    eneloop-battery-unrolled.jpg
    download_1.jpg
    cat_waiting.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Yeah I am not so sure this even belongs on the front page shouldn't it be in the basement?? Or is it because it is a Pinball board and not an arcade board. ???? All the video games got thrown down there.

It's a perfectly valid pinball-related thread as far as I'm concerned.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I can't imagine Vid is going full Soccer Mom "I demand a refund and free stuff!!" on the battery companies after years of dealing with acid damage.

Should go all-in. Get the local TV consumer watchdog reporters on it.

poltergeist.jpgpoltergeist.jpg

#53 8 years ago

folowing!
    LOL!

#54 8 years ago

Of course I could fix the board, but that would not be nearly as entertaining as seeing how this all plays out.

I would have probably 4 total hours in repair, and I charge $90 per hour for my service calls.

I assume that they will have to buy a Rottendog board to replace the much harder to acquire Williams board.

-

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Get the local TV consumer watchdog reporters on it.

At least they got my good side.

#56 8 years ago

Last time I sent bad batteries back:

I had a 6 cell Maglite that the Duracell batteries swelled up inside so fat that I could not get a single one out.

A $5 flashlight can go in the trash, but a $35 Maglite was going back to Duracell.

They called me and said that the batteries were counterfeit and asked where I had purchased them.

They replaced the Maglite anyway, and included a new package of genuine Duracell batteries.

#57 8 years ago

Counterfeit batteries?

#59 8 years ago

I've had both Duracell and Energizer leak inside wireless keyboard or wireless mouse. Each time they were under $100, the companies sent me a SASE along with a check that released them from liability once i cashed it.

When you start to get in to higher dollar stuff, they ask for it back.

#60 8 years ago

Why is it that whenever I use Costco AA Duracells they leak?

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Counterfeit batteries?

From now on I am only going to purchase batteries with Certificates of Authenticity.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from wantdataeast:

From now on I am only going to purchase batteries with Certificates of Authenticity.

...as if a piece of paper can't be counterfeited too.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

...as if a piece of paper can't be counterfeited too.

I'm totally going to take that piece of paper to Pawn Stars and have it authenticated. They know a guy.

Vid - please turn this thread into your latest guide "How to get multimillion dollar company to pay for board repair"

Need step-by-step instructions with photos please.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

You're delusional if you think Energizer is going to refund anything close to 350 for a thirty year old circuit board. Also, if you send them this board, you will never see it again so if it's repairable it would be better to keep it.
    No sense in starting a fight you can't win. The smart thing to do is stop buying their product.

Note to Vid. Mattster has spoken. The conviction conveyed in his words is a guaranty that you will fail. With wisdom like this there is no need to pursue anything out of the ordinary in the great all-knowing mind of the master-mattster...

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

No sense in starting a fight you can't win.

There is always sense in starting a fight your can't win. The US wouldn't exist if people all thought this way. Go Vid go!

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Then we will know for sure how Energizer will handle the issue, rather than guessing wildly.

Nothing wild about my guess. There is no possible way that vid1900 will see signifigant compensation.

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

Nothing wild about my guess. There is no possible way that vid1900 will see signifigant compensation.

Explain how you know this for a fact please. Ready? Go!

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

There is no possible way that vid1900 will see signifigant compensation.

This Thread is compensation enough...

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

Sigh...I wish the downvote button was back. I would've clicked it a few times by this point.

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Why is it that whenever I use Costco AA Duracells they leak?

All batteries will leak no matter what they say. Putting the guaranty out there is just their way of swaying market share.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Last time I sent bad batteries back:
    I had a 6 cell Maglite that the Duracell batteries swelled up inside so fat that I could not get a single one out.
    A $5 flashlight can go in the trash, but a $35 Maglite was going back to Duracell.
    They called me and said that the batteries were counterfeit and asked where I had purchased them.
    They replaced the Maglite anyway, and included a new package of genuine Duracell batteries.

They may have a limit on the warranty, "1 per household".

The best part, is that they might get some more info on counterfeit batteries, which will benefit consumers.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

All batteries will leak no matter what they say. Putting the guaranty out there is just their way of swaying market share.

I have this problem with Duracells leaking when purchased from Costco but not typical at all when I buy them at Lowes, Target, etc.

#73 8 years ago

I wonder if this works for houses & cars too....

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Energizer Lithium Ultimate's don't.

At least no cases so far. Plus they go inert when dead and you can toss them in your regular garbage.

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

There is always sense in starting a fight your can't win. The US wouldn't exist if people all thought this way. Go Vid go!

Classic extrapolation exaggeration.

If we were all optimists we'd still be trying to reach Harry Houdini on our ouiji boards.

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

Note to Vid. Mattster has spoken. The conviction conveyed in his words is a guaranty that you will fail. With wisdom like this there is no need to pursue anything out of the ordinary in the great all-knowing mind of the master-mattster...

I love when somebody responds to one of my posts exactly the way I would have responded had someone else said it.
    Thanks!

#77 8 years ago

Jordann just called me back from Energizer.

The seemed genuinely apologetic about this unfortunate occurrence.

They opened a case and gave me a case number.

They want pictures of the batteries in the board, the expiration date on the batteries, the amount of leakage on the board and the model # of the board. I was reminded to supply focused pictures.

They wanted to know if I thought I could clean up the "acid" or if the product was ruined (ruined).

They wanted to know the price of the replacement product ($300), and where I got the price from (K's Arcade website).

Once the pictures are reviewed, they decide on "repair or reimbursement".

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

If we were all optimists we'd still be trying to reach Harry Houdini on our ouiji boards.

That's the only way I can reach him lately.

#79 8 years ago

The last one of these stories was from an operator back in the '80's. He sent a Williams video game CPU board to Eveready with the batteries still attached. He got a nice form letter asking him politely what the H*LL did he send in. When he explained and sent them the address and phone number of Williams' Corporate offices so they could buy a replacement, they returned his board with a coupon for 4 free batteries with the 4 crossed out and 3 written in with a Sharpie. I told him that was a bit far fetched, so he took me into his office and showed me the letter and the coupon stapled to his wall.

ken

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

Classic extrapolation exaggeration.

and if we were all pessimistic sheep we'd still have a king...

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Once the pictures are reviewed, they decide on "repair or reimbursement".

You could tell them you will repair the board.... for $400.

#82 8 years ago

I have a couple dozen Williams system 3-7 MPU and Drive boards and many more Bally acid damaged boards $5.00 each Errr wait I mean $50.00 each and I'll provide the Energizer batteries. Just paypal to my name.

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

LOL. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and Energizer stands by their guaranty.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

LOL. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and Energizer stands by their guaranty.

They did not seem shocked by the $300 value of the board.

They said they want to take care of the matter quickly.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

All batteries will leak no matter what they say.

I've found that Eveready "Energizer" leak consistently more than any other brand. Sure other brands do leak too, but most often it's been Energizer ones I'm finding leaking. I refuse to use any Eveready or Eveready Energizer batteries in any of my things, especially in test equipment.

Costco's Kirkland Signature batteries leak alot as do Fuji brand.

The best thing a person can do is check your batteries often for signs of leaking. It's always helpful to write a date on the batteries when you first install them. I use a black Sharpie marker to write on the batteries.

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

I love when somebody responds to one of my posts exactly the way I would have responded had someone else said it.
    Thanks!

and you upvoted it. that's awesome!

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I use this
    south-park-s10e13c05-crank-prank-time-phone-16x9.jpgsouth-park-s10e13c05-crank-prank-time-phone-16x9.jpg

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I've found that Eveready "Energizer" leak consistently more than any other brand. Sure other brands do leak too, but most often it's been Energizer ones I'm finding leaking. I refuse to use any Eveready or Eveready Energizer batteries in any of my things, especially in test equipment.
    Costco's Kirkland Signature batteries leak alot as do Fuji brand.
    The best thing a person can do is check your batteries often for signs of leaking. It's always helpful to write a date on the batteries when you first install them. I use a black Sharpie marker to write on the batteries.

Better yet--don't use alkaline batteries at all. There are options for NVRAM, memory caps, remote battery holders, and coin cell battery holders. Any one of those is better than having on-board batteries known for leaking.

#89 8 years ago

Holy crap you might luck out on this one! If so... I'll put energizer in every game going forward...

#90 8 years ago

Batteries even leak before you open the package.

Leak_when_new.jpgLeak_when_new.jpg

#91 8 years ago

20150621-1757-7049.jpg20150621-1757-7049.jpg

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

Holy crap you might luck out on this one! If so... I'll put energizer in every game going forward...

No, don't put batteries in your games.

NVRAM is $6-8 nowadays. (before anyone else emails me http://nvram.weebly.com/ )

Sending boards back, waiting for replacements, changing batteries each Jan 1st......none of that is worth $15 of your time.

I'd rather be playing pinball.

#93 8 years ago

I would also cast a vote for energizer batteries being prone to leaking. I have had much better luck with duracell, personally.

#94 8 years ago

I have to keep AAs in my TZ, as opposed to a NVRAM, to keep the time on the clock. I keep a close eye on them.

I am interested in how this turns out.

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from TrainH2o:

I have to keep AAs in my TZ, as opposed to a NVRAM, to keep the time on the clock. I keep a close eye on them.

Of course there are a half dozen games that you might want batteries in.

Make SURE they are mounted in a remote holder, far from any circuit boards.

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No, don't put batteries in your games.
    NVRAM is $6-8 nowadays. (before anyone else emails me http://nvram.weebly.com/ )
    Sending boards back, waiting for replacements, changing batteries each Jan 1st......none of that is worth $15 of your time.
    I'd rather be playing pinball.

Nice, I figured it was a lot more for NVRAM!

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

Nice, I figured it was a lot more for NVRAM!

It used to be, lol.

#98 8 years ago

Wow those pics of batteries leaking in packages is wild . i notice that one pack has that pressure test strip on the side.

I am hoping that the glue sniffing garrunty fairy that knock up your daughter makes things all better.

But for the sake of everyones games and daughters just buy a quality product from
    http://nvram.weebly.com/

If you want an NV with a .. guarantee/warranty you should purchase the other guys (box o cow chips with your warranty stamped on the side).

#99 8 years ago

What's to stop anyone from claiming energizer batteries leaked and just throw in leaky ones into a crappy board that already got leaked on? Just curious..

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Energizer Lithium Ultimate's don't.

What should be said is all alkaline batteries will leak as they go dead. It is just a fact of the chemical nature of the battery. As Mike said, stating otherwise is marketing, plain and simple.

There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sending-battery-damaged-mpu-back-to-energizer/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.