Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dynvox DY166-9A 4Ohm (resized).png
FResponse (resized).png
7425AA89-F33B-4529-852D-0E9858BD47EB (resized).jpeg
A2D330C4-62C8-49FB-968D-77D7C1F5CD1F (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi,

On a sys11 pinbot, I had to replace the speaker. The spare one I had was a 80w. Is there any means to balance more power to this speaker ? Raising the volumes also raises the BB ones. Unfortunately Pinsound is not made for that type of machines

Thanks

#2 4 years ago

Hi,

I guess you are talking about the sub? There is no balance available AFAIK, so this will require some additional parts to solve.

Even though the solution is right to add more power to get it louder, the power handling ability of the speaker doesn't really matter for how loud it plays.

The stat in question is its sensitivity (or efficiency - how the speaker converts power into sound). The sensitivity is standardized to be measured in dB (how loud it plays) at 1W power measured in the distance of 1m. Usually you see this in a speaker's stats like this:

Sensitivity: 90dB

The higher the value, the louder the speaker. Increasing the volume by 3dB doubles the power needed.

If the new sub is playing lower than the original, than it is less efficient and you need more power. You can get a ready to use solution from Pinwoofer for $90.

Alternatively you could go the DIY route with a line signal converter
(e.g. https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-35-Variable-Line-Converter/dp/B001EAWS3W/ref=sr_1_5)
and amp module
(e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Subwoofer-Amplifier-TPA3116D2-Amplifiers-subwoofer/dp/B01N0PXEN4/ref=sr_1_12_sspa)
costing between $20 - $100 intotal depending on the amp you buy.

#4 4 years ago

jimy_speedt you can check out out our website at https://PinWoofer.com and we also have a PinSide store.

If you take that DIY route keep in mind that you'll get full-range audio to the cabinet speaker. Our solution gives you extended bass because our amplifier has a built in low-pass filter that will maximize power transfer from the sound board to your cabinet speaker. Our kits are fully tested, completely compatible with any pin, and worth the extra money because they take all of the guesswork out of the project.

There is also a thread called "New Amplified Subwoofer Kits by PinWoofer" where you can read about some of the success stories.

We can ship internationally - happy to give you a quote!

Thanks!

#5 4 years ago

thanks for all the answers !

It is great to receive deep advices. I will keep my speaker, but yes I am open to the good solution. Let me have a look into it.

The pin bot is really special, you have much bass sound and I would like it to boom !!

thanks again for the detailed comments

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

thanks for all the answers !
It is great to receive deep advices. I will keep my speaker, but yes I am open to the good solution. Let me have a look into it.
The pin bot is really special, you have much bass sound and I would like it to boom !!
thanks again for the detailed comments

I would recommend posting a photograph of your cabinet speaker here, so I can be certain of your installation requirements.

Thanks!

#7 4 years ago

Here you are

7425AA89-F33B-4529-852D-0E9858BD47EB (resized).jpeg7425AA89-F33B-4529-852D-0E9858BD47EB (resized).jpegA2D330C4-62C8-49FB-968D-77D7C1F5CD1F (resized).jpegA2D330C4-62C8-49FB-968D-77D7C1F5CD1F (resized).jpeg
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

you have much bass sound and I would like it to boom !!

Just keep in mind there's a big difference between making it sound good and overloading it with retarded overblown bass like those that stuff the trunk of their cars with amps and subwoofers. Please don't do that. The speaker power handling for consumer stuff "80 watt speaker" means very little, the idea is that consumers do not understand the meaning of power ratings anyway so power ratings presented to them are usually tweaked for marketing purposes. I have a vintage Luxman receiver that puts out a very clean 33w per channel and it sounds wayyyy better than these ridiculous car systems.

#9 4 years ago

A sensitivity of 90dB is above average and rather good. Above 90dB is excellent.

I doubt that the original cabinet speaker was playing louder.

Of course you’ll get it louder with PinWoofer or a DIY amp solution. But I wouldn’t expect too much true “Boom” with the current setup in this machine (of course that is also a matter of perspective).
It will result in a quite dominant mid-high bass dominating the mix without any depth or sub bass. Some people like that, but it’ll sound quite unnatural.

A true and integrated “Boom” would require a bit more work like balancing the subbass (EQ), matching the signal to the back box and playing position (SPL mic or better REW and a calibrated mic), a bigger woofer or even array of woofers.

#10 4 years ago

I understand both of you. Actually the machine is not that much sophisticated is terms of sounds. say that I would like to get the feeling that the cabinet renders bass whereas today it is not obvious

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Here you are[quoted image][quoted image]

jimy_speedt you will get a nice bass boost on that title with the amp only option and using that speaker, and I am confident that the results will exceed your expectations. I've done many of these with 6" speakers and the boost is surprising.

However, let me highlight that for $18 USD more you can get one of our 6" dual voice coil speakers included as a kit with the amplifier, which means you have effectively two speakers in one and are able to utilize both of the amplifier channels. It makes a difference.

Either way I'm here for you and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from wawa777:

A sensitivity of 90dB is above average and rather good. Above 90dB is excellent.
I doubt that the original cabinet speaker was playing louder.
Of course you’ll get it louder with pinwoofer or a DIY amp solution. But I wouldn’t expect too much true “Boom” with the current setup in this machine (of course that is also a matter of perspective).
It will result in a quite dominant mid-high bass dominating the mix without any depth or sub bass. Some people like that, but it’ll sound quite unnatural.
A true and integrated “Boom” would require a bit more work like balancing the subbass (EQ), matching the signal to the back box and playing position (SPL mic or better REW and a calibrated mic), a bigger woofer or even array of woofers.

Note that the LPF -3dB cutoff is ~178Hz so the amp is delivered and reproduces mostly low bass. Sure, a larger cone will reproduce the lower tones more efficently but the 6" will be quite effective in creating a nice rich bass tapestry and will greatly improve the sound. Let's see where jimy_speedt goes with this and get his feedback.

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

FResponse (resized).pngFResponse (resized).png
#13 4 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Note that the LPF -3dB cutoff is ~178Hz so the amp is delivered and reproduces mostly low bass. Sure, a larger cone will reproduce the lower tones more efficently but the 6" will be quite effective in creating a nice rich bass tapestry and will greatly improve the sound. Let's see where jimy_speedt goes with this and get his feedback.
Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.
[quoted image]

You are right. I am not really concerned about the amp. Probably I am overcomplicating, it's a good speaker, but it lacks bass.
The dynavox drops steep below 70Hz and there is not that much jimy_speedt could do about it in the pin cabinet (beside probably EQing the signal).

I agree that it most likely will exceed his expectations, but with his speaker he will be ca. 6-7dB under the 6" Pyles at 50Hz. Looks like a quite audible difference to me. Not everybody is as crazy to get a good 30Hz, but the dynavox looks like it would need some support for lower bass frequencies.

dynvox DY166-9A 4Ohm (resized).pngdynvox DY166-9A 4Ohm (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/send-more-power-to-cabinet-speaker-?hl=wawa777 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.