Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by willhew
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0814.jpg
    IMAG0771.jpg
    IMAG0675.jpg
    IMAG0526.jpg

#1 11 years ago

Well, I have decided I am going to make a Hyperpin Table (My decision was made 10 minutes ago) I wanted to make it semi portable for moving and to store it when notin use. I will get a 42" TV and I am working on designing now, I have got a basic concept but need a few tips to get started. What is the best angle to have the playfield on for a "authentic" look. I am thinking on making it so I can change the theme on the walls of the cabinet by having movable walls. That way I can have an authentic theme when I really get into a theme. The headboard will contain the computer. My plan is to have the screen lower and have the headboard lower into the playfield area then latch into place. The legs are telescopic and have locking wheels. Any tips on the general design of the cabinet? Does anyone have a design of a traditional pinball cabinet I can adapt to this project?

Thanks,

Willhew

#2 11 years ago

I built a portable unit for a friend from scratch. When enclosed you would have no idea what was inside except for the black flipper buttons on the outside otherwise everything is contained inside. It not only plays Visual Pinball but also doubles as a 1 player MAME unit as well.

When the setup is broken down for transport the second monitor and mount attached under the lid next to the wireless keyboard/mouse combo just in case you need to do any sort of config changes or even surf the net since it is wifi ready too

IMAG0526.jpgIMAG0526.jpg IMAG0675.jpgIMAG0675.jpg IMAG0771.jpgIMAG0771.jpg IMAG0814.jpgIMAG0814.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Mike Wong is a PinMAME god.. I've seen his creations in person, they're amazing.

#4 11 years ago

Not into hyper pin but that is BAD A$$!

#5 11 years ago

Would you please be willing to share me up your design as that is AWESOME

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

Mike Wong is a PinMAME god.. I've seen his creations in person, they're amazing.

Thanks Brock and once i am done my P2K pinmame cab I will help you make yours from the donor SWE1 cab you picked up recently.

Quoted from willhew:

Would you please be willing to share me up your design as that is AWESOME

The design is a pretty straight forward square box enclosure and since you are making it from scratch build it around your playfield screen so it is a perfect fit and size. If you want to see more details check out the full build posted here:

http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8110

All the hardware used to make the case feel and look authentic was bought from from a company called Penn Elcom. I'm not sure where you are located but I bought direct from the Canadian distributor and have the contact info for the sales person who was great in helping me choose out just enough of each piece so there was not too much waste excess material. I changed my dimensions on him a few times and it almost seemed like he had a tool to calculate or maybe he has dealt with many customers building their own road case to spec.

Good luck and if you have any questions or need help feel free to shoot me a PM.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks am thinking that on the back of the headboard I will place another screen with controls for other games. Thanks I will post my progress here.

#8 11 years ago

Well that is pretty awesome. Reminds me of a friend I have in town, except he builds fightsticks.

#10 11 years ago

How many buttons do I need for the arcade part of it?

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

Yup, Mike is the s**t!
    I gotta get in line behind Brock for one of those sweet portable units
    I haven't played Donkey Kong in years!

PS.
    Mike, I got your SWE1 button inserts coming Monday.

#12 11 years ago

I guess I misunderstood you when you intially mentioned portable, I thought you wanted to be able to pack it up and bring it with you like the unit I made for my friend. I traded him my original PinMAME cab which he has setup at his shop where he spent most of his time. Sometimes he gets the urge to play and sucks to have to go to your work for your pin fix and he wished he could have another one at home. So I proposed the idea of building him a portable unit he could literally bring with him where ever he goes as long as he covered costs.

If you are going to build from scratch and keep with a more traditional cab I would go for a P2K style cab and cast the DMD reflection like this on the playfield glass. Here is a video of mine on a regular piece of tempered glass and the effect is pretty good.

Just FYI, if you want to save yourself a bit of work and money you can always find an empty donor cab and a de-cased 37" LCD can drop in there perfectly without any modification. If you want to go bigger like 42"-46" LCD then you might want to find a wide body donor cab so it can fit inside or else you can always remove the side rails and trim the sides of the cab so the LCD can sit on top and install the side rails back on.

I have been debating to spend $130usd on P2K buttons only but just can't justify spending that much and it's no wonder why they are always missing on empty SWE1 cabs along with the glass, lockdown bar and signature jpop shooter rod. I have zero wood working skills as you can see my friend Drano has to cut or CNC button inserts for me through his amazing work place. Must be nice to literally eat, sleep and breath pinball at home and at work bud!

Quoted from willhew:

How many buttons do I need for the arcade part of it?

Here are the buttons you will need for PinMAME

Left Shift = Left Flipper
    Right Shift = Right Flipper
    Left Ctrl = Left Manga Save/Function
    Right Ctrl = Right Magna Save/Function
    ENTER = Ball Plunger
    Z = Left Nudge
    / = Right Nudge
    SPACE = Center Nudge
    T = Mechanical Tilt
    1 = Start Button
    2 = Buy In/Extra Ball
    5 = Credit Up
    END = Coin Door Interlock Switch **
    7 = Exit Menu (service) **
    8 = Minus (service) **
    9 = Plus (service) **
    0 = Select (service) **
    F = Pull Up Flyer in Hyperpin
    I = Pull Up Instruction Card in Hyperpin
    ESC = Exit Table

That is 20 inputs I marked a "**" next to the ones that are optional and since they are not used very often or once in a while just make sure you have a keyboard handy. If you are using an IPAC it supports up to 32 inputs so that leaves you with 12 inputs free. So for MAME:

Joystick = 4 inputs (one for each direction)
    6 buttons = 6 inputs (assuming you go with a SFII button layout)

For other functions like Start and Credit Up you can share the same input or even physical button on your control panel. You will notice on my portable unit there are two joysticks, one is for MAME and the other is a dedicated 4-way for Baby Pacman which is one of my friend's holy grail games growing up. Both of the joysticks only use 4 inputs as I daisy chained each direction going to my IPAC.

If you are going for a 2 player MAME control panel setup you will probably want to go for the IPAC64 which can handle up to 64 inputs. Also make sure you get a keyboard encoder and not a game pad encoder. A game pad encoder does not register as physical key presses (such as the letter A or Left Shift Key) and you will need to run extra software such as X-padder or Joy2Key to map to a physical keyboard key. It makes setup in MAME more cumbersome because that means you will have to configure each game to work with your controls where as the IPAC comes with software that allows you to re-map all the inputs to match the MAME defaults.

Any other questions or if you are confused feel free to ask.

#13 11 years ago

I converted my old Rfm cabinet into a hyperpin for pretty cheap using a decased 37" tv. http://thebigboss.org/arcade/digitalpin.jpg

I was even able to use the speaker outputs on the tv to drive the internal speakers in the cabinet. The original glass reflects the Dmd. Works very well.

#14 11 years ago

I think I will change to have just a virtual pinball, then make a arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/semi-portable-hyperpin-table and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.