Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1486ED38-8071-4CA9-8876-AEBF442C5986 (resized).jpeg
    110636716_1800x1135_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20200310-210901_eBay (resized).jpg
    20191006_124204 (resized).jpg
    pin4sale (resized).PNG
    0AD7E3DD-56CE-4A76-BA3C-445F4E2F4B65 (resized).png
    85097316_10219169862494955_8171055283548717056_n (resized).jpg
    selling (resized).jpg
    damn judge (resized).jpg

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 4 years ago

In my experience, when the seller hasn't volunteered a reason he's selling, asking invariably brings the response "it's just time to move it on."

Which is a polite way to say

Quoted from RustyLizard:none of your F**KING business.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

"why are you selling" is a pretty legitimate question especially when buying something big ticket
    Imagine thinking of buying a house and you ask the Agent "why are they selling"

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I have often told people "That doesn't really matter."

It would if this question was asked in disclosure forms. If they're selling because the owners know the house needs 50k in foundation work and decided to omit that knowledge there may be legal concerns down the road.

Aside from that, asking why someone is selling is another way to spot scammers. Does the story change? Does it make sense? Its completely legitimate to ask why someone would sell a pinball machine. No reasonable answer is a huge red flag.

#103 4 years ago

For some odd reason, I get really attached to my machines. I actually do hate selling them. I haven't even played more than a couple games in the last couple weeks and I should sell some, but then I start thinking about "what a great pin it is". Even though it's not getting played.
    I had a helluva time even listing the ones I've sold. But then, when they sold, no regrets.
    Weird, I know.

#104 4 years ago

“The nicest [insert title here] you will ever see”.

0AD7E3DD-56CE-4A76-BA3C-445F4E2F4B65 (resized).png0AD7E3DD-56CE-4A76-BA3C-445F4E2F4B65 (resized).png
    #105 4 years ago

The worst for me, by far, is when people say 'Recently shopped, plays great!' or just 'Plays great!' and the flippers are WILDLY off..

Like one is limpy, the other a halfy, 1/4-1/2"+ off between them.. Seriously, how in the world can you not notice, how in the fk can you play like that? -The scary part is the collections and years these people have in this sh!t.., yet oblivious.. Just think how one of their 'fully shopped' pins must play?

Hard pass, no matter if it's fairly priced (which they're usually not..) - I can work around all the other usual BS mentioned in seconds after seeing the potato pics. Just wish there was a perma-drain for peoples market ads..

I'd post pics but not out to toss peeps under the bus.., I'll just continue to scream 'Fix Your F'n Flippers!' aloud when I see it every morning when I check the market.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

It would if this question was asked in disclosure forms. If they're selling because the owners know the house needs 50k in foundation work and decided to omit that knowledge there may be legal concerns down the road.
    Aside from that, asking why someone is selling is another way to spot scammers. Does the story change? Does it make sense? Its completely legitimate to ask why someone would sell a pinball machine. No reasonable answer is a huge red flag.

"Why are you selling?" is not on any forms. Sellers are legally obligated to disclose any issues they are aware of, regardless of why they're selling.

No such rules for pinball, so I definitely appreciate the pinball sellers who go out of their way to point things out.

Another classic "These go for x on Ebay"

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Asking to provide a reason to sell is what doesn't make sense in the first place ! Who cares why you sell it, what matters is what you sell and how much you sell it for.

Because its a simple conversation tactic to encourage sharing more information then they had previously

#109 4 years ago

Who cares about the f-ing "goodie bag" being stapled? Enough with the "goodie bag"!

#110 4 years ago

Outside of the higher demand titles (e.g lord of the rings or tron), people listing common used sterns produced from over last 10 years for a price that is either equal to, or above the price they paid for it new in box.

Depreciation is not a difficult concept

#111 4 years ago

"players condition." translation, the paint has worn off in several places, a bumper doesn't work, and the machine is now junk.

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Who cares about the f-ing "goodie bag" being stapled? Enough with the "goodie bag"!

As long as the tilt bob is still sealed in the bag, nothing else matters.

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

As long as the tilt bob is still sealed in the bag, nothing else matters.

Extra slingshot plastics ?

LTG : )

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Extra slingshot plastics ?

Only a sealed in the bag tilt bob tells me all I need to know about whoever I'm buying a game from. And if it ever got any serious play or not.

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stuieb84:

Outside of the higher demand titles (e.g lord of the rings or tron), people listing common used sterns produced from over last 10 years for a price that is either equal to, or above the price they paid for it new in box.
    Depreciation is not a difficult concept

...Wait, you are saying pinballs depreciate in value?

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

I always find it interesting and a bit annoying when I read a sellers opening statement that reads as..”I don’t really know if I want to do this”, “this hurts me to do”, or “it pains me to do”, etc. why do people have to justify a sale? Sell or don’t sell your machine. Any reason you have is no ones business and we honestly don’t care. If there is a buyer interested then fine. If not move on. Just find this hilarious, like they’re fishing for a higher price by letting you feel they don’t have to sell it

I like the stories or reasons. Maybe pins are different but if you are trying to sell me a car i want to know why?

Used car dealers get a bad name, and many times rightfully so, but no one lies like a man trying to trade or sell a used car.

I imagine a cash strapped pin seller might be willing to play with the truth. Just a little.

But pins, like cars, will get a free pass if they are the hot ones in the market.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I like the stories or reasons.

Here's a story not often told here-

"I'm getting rid of my wife. I really love her, but she is taking up space and I've got something new coming in. HUO, with some wear in the shooter lane. Needs new rubbers, and could use a wax. Best offer, but would consider trade+cash for any on my wish list. If not gone by Friday, price will be lowered substantially"

#118 4 years ago

UP FOR SALE IS MY SLIGHTLY USED LOADED MINTY MINT PINBALL ULTRA RARE PINBALL MACHINE ONLY 10000 OF THESE MADE EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER IT IS VINTAGE/ANTIQUE RECENTLY SHOPPED WITH ALL NEW RUBBERS AND MOSTLY WORKS 100% MOSTLY I'M NOT SURE I REALLY WANT TO SELL IT SO I'M TESTING THE WATERS AND IF IT DOESN'T SELL I GUESS I WILL KEEP IT AND BURY IT WITH MY CORPSE WHEN I DIE SRS INQUIRIES ONLY NO TIRE KICKING WINDOW LICKERS I KNOW WHAT I HAVE THE DUKE HIMSELF PLAYED THIS GAME AND LOVED IT YOU WILL TOO ALL IT NEEDS IS A LITTLE TLC AND IT PLAYS LIKE NEW MAY NEED LEGS BUT HAS BRAND NEW RUBBERS INSTALLED BY TECH WHO WENT THRU IT WITH FINE TOOTH COMB LOW PLAYS AND STILL HAS TILT BOB THESE ARE MISSING ON MOST GAMES WANT $7000 NO LOWBALLERS EASILY GOES FOR $7005 ON EBAY DON'T ASK FOR MORE PHOTOS I WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY AS IT IS PACKED IN A GARAGE ON A DEADEND FIVE HOURS AWAY LAST TIME I CHECKED ON IT THERE WAS A SQUIRREL IN THE CABINET BUT HE DOESNT EACH MUCH THIS PICTURE IS FROM WHEN I FIRST GOT IT I'VE SINCE SHOPPED AND CHANGED THE RUBBERS ONE FLIPPER DOESNT WORK ALL THE TIME PROBABLY JUST A FUSE AND BACKGLASS HAS A SMALL FLAKE MISSING CAN EASILY BE FIXED WITH SOME SPRAY PAINT HATE TO SELL THIS BUT HAVE A PENIS TRANSPLANT I NEED TO PAY FOR YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER LIKE THIS ONE THIS MACHINE IS HIGHLY COLLECTABLE COMPLETE WITH ORIGINAL BALLS
    pin4sale (resized).PNGpin4sale (resized).PNG

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

UP FOR SALE IS MY SLIGHTLY USED MINTY MINT PINBALL ULTRA RARE PINBALL MACHINE ONLY 10000 OF THESE MADE EVER. IT IS VINTAGE/ANTIQUE RECENTLY SHOPPED WITH ALL NEW RUBBERS AND MOSTLY WORKS 100% MOSTLY I'M NOT SURE I REALLY WANT TO SELL IT SO I'M TESTING THE WATERS AND IF IT DOESN'T SELL I GUESS I WILL KEEP IT AND BURY IT WITH MY CORPSE WHEN I DIE SRS INQUIRIES ONLY NO TIRE KICKING WINDOW LICKERS I KNOW WHAT I HAVE THE DUKE HIMSELF PLAYED THIS GAME AND LOVED IT YOU WILL TOO ALL IT NEEDS IS A LITTLE TLC AND IT PLAYS LIKE NEW MAY NEED LEGS BUT HAS BRAND NEW RUBBERS INSTALLED BY TECH WHO WENT THRU IT WITH FINE TOOTH COMB LOW PLAYS AND STILL HAS TILT BOB THESE ARE MISSING ON MOST GAMES WANT $7000 NO LOWBALLERS EASILY GOES FOR $7005 ON EBAY DON'T ASK FOR MORE PHOTOS I WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY AS IT IS PACKED IN A GARAGE ON A DEADEND FIVE HOURS AWAY THIS PICTURE IS FROM WHEN I FIRST GOT IT I'VE SINCE SHOPPED AND CHANGED THE RUBBERS ONE FLIPPER DOESNT WORK ALL THE TIME AND BACKGLASS HAS A SMALL FLAKE MISSING CAN EASILY BE FIXED WITH SOME SPRAY PAINT HATE TO SELL THIS BUT HAVE A PENIS TRANSPLANT I NEED TO PAY FOR THIS MACHINE IS HIGHLY COLLECTABLE COMPLETE WITH ORIGINAL BALLS

Is it ok with you if I copy paste this the next time I am ready to sell a game?

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Is it ok with you if I copy paste this the next time I am ready to sell a game?

What's it worth to you?

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

UP FOR SALE IS MY SLIGHTLY USED MINTY MINT PINBALL ULTRA RARE PINBALL MACHINE ONLY 10000 OF THESE MADE EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER IT IS VINTAGE/ANTIQUE RECENTLY SHOPPED WITH ALL NEW RUBBERS AND MOSTLY WORKS 100% MOSTLY I'M NOT SURE I REALLY WANT TO SELL IT SO I'M TESTING THE WATERS AND IF IT DOESN'T SELL I GUESS I WILL KEEP IT AND BURY IT WITH MY CORPSE WHEN I DIE SRS INQUIRIES ONLY NO TIRE KICKING WINDOW LICKERS I KNOW WHAT I HAVE THE DUKE HIMSELF PLAYED THIS GAME AND LOVED IT YOU WILL TOO ALL IT NEEDS IS A LITTLE TLC AND IT PLAYS LIKE NEW MAY NEED LEGS BUT HAS BRAND NEW RUBBERS INSTALLED BY TECH WHO WENT THRU IT WITH FINE TOOTH COMB LOW PLAYS AND STILL HAS TILT BOB THESE ARE MISSING ON MOST GAMES WANT $7000 NO LOWBALLERS EASILY GOES FOR $7005 ON EBAY DON'T ASK FOR MORE PHOTOS I WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY AS IT IS PACKED IN A GARAGE ON A DEADEND FIVE HOURS AWAY LAST TIME I CHECKED ON IT THERE WAS A SQUIRREL IN THE CABINET BUT HE DOESNT EACH MUCH THIS PICTURE IS FROM WHEN I FIRST GOT IT I'VE SINCE SHOPPED AND CHANGED THE RUBBERS ONE FLIPPER DOESNT WORK ALL THE TIME AND BACKGLASS HAS A SMALL FLAKE MISSING CAN EASILY BE FIXED WITH SOME SPRAY PAINT HATE TO SELL THIS BUT HAVE A PENIS TRANSPLANT I NEED TO PAY FOR THIS MACHINE IS HIGHLY COLLECTABLE COMPLETE WITH ORIGINAL BALLS
    [quoted image]

I think we can all just agree that this post won the forum

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

What's it worth to you?

Maybe a beer, because while I can use a lot of that as far as "minty mint", etc., I would still have to change/add a lot, because my game is way more rare than yours.

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I find people complaining about wording in marketplace ads annoying

I find people who type “I find people complaining about wording in marketplace ads annoying” very annoying.

#124 4 years ago

I can’t stand reading in an ad, “I’m in no rush to sell so if I don’t get my price, I’ll just keep it.”
    Seriously, what kind of tool says this in a for sale ad? Do you really think your doing me some kind of favor by selling me your machine? Lmao.

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

UP FOR SALE IS MY SLIGHTLY USED MINTY MINT PINBALL ULTRA RARE PINBALL MACHINE ONLY 10000 OF THESE MADE EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER IT IS VINTAGE/ANTIQUE RECENTLY SHOPPED WITH ALL NEW RUBBERS AND MOSTLY WORKS 100% MOSTLY I'M NOT SURE I REALLY WANT TO SELL IT SO I'M TESTING THE WATERS AND IF IT DOESN'T SELL I GUESS I WILL KEEP IT AND BURY IT WITH MY CORPSE WHEN I DIE SRS INQUIRIES ONLY NO TIRE KICKING WINDOW LICKERS I KNOW WHAT I HAVE THE DUKE HIMSELF PLAYED THIS GAME AND LOVED IT YOU WILL TOO ALL IT NEEDS IS A LITTLE TLC AND IT PLAYS LIKE NEW MAY NEED LEGS BUT HAS BRAND NEW RUBBERS INSTALLED BY TECH WHO WENT THRU IT WITH FINE TOOTH COMB LOW PLAYS AND STILL HAS TILT BOB THESE ARE MISSING ON MOST GAMES WANT $7000 NO LOWBALLERS EASILY GOES FOR $7005 ON EBAY DON'T ASK FOR MORE PHOTOS I WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY AS IT IS PACKED IN A GARAGE ON A DEADEND FIVE HOURS AWAY LAST TIME I CHECKED ON IT THERE WAS A SQUIRREL IN THE CABINET BUT HE DOESNT EACH MUCH THIS PICTURE IS FROM WHEN I FIRST GOT IT I'VE SINCE SHOPPED AND CHANGED THE RUBBERS ONE FLIPPER DOESNT WORK ALL THE TIME AND BACKGLASS HAS A SMALL FLAKE MISSING CAN EASILY BE FIXED WITH SOME SPRAY PAINT HATE TO SELL THIS BUT HAVE A PENIS TRANSPLANT I NEED TO PAY FOR THIS MACHINE IS HIGHLY COLLECTABLE COMPLETE WITH ORIGINAL BALLS
    [quoted image]

The subtle genius within this post is the ALL CAPS
    Brilliant!

#126 4 years ago

Some local guy always starts his craigslist ads with "From my private collection".

Wow, I'm just as impressed when someone makes me an offer that is "cash money"!

#127 4 years ago

If I knew just how far my U/D ratio would fall, I would list my Pinbot for sale, because, sweet lord have I got all the requisite shit to list an ad that would definitely piss just about everyone in this thread off...

#128 4 years ago

I fucking hate ads that says "replaced with custom apron cards or custom apron cards included"

#129 4 years ago

The “goodie bag” .. I could never understand that ... it’s not a classic car with “original floor mats “ . Goodie bag still stapled means you never pulled it , that’s it . I’m not impressed .
    ( Didn’t read thru the post , excuse me if it wasn’t mentioned)

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Super rare, only 7,500 produced!

I thought super rare was only 18,250 units (confirmed)

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I hate it when people say the goodie bag is still stapled inside the cabinet. Like this makes the machine better or worth more. Lol.

Ha! I once mentioned that as an after thought “selling point” when selling a HUO game. I was probably the fourth owner of that particular game. The game never had an issue and was in beautiful shape - well maintained, highly modded, etc.

The person I sold the game to was, upon getting the game home, a little miffed upon discovering that the goodie bag was not, in fact, actually unopened. It appeared that someone along the multi-owner journey had opened the goodie bag! This was news to me, because (shame ) I’d never actually checked. In fact, during my 5 years of game ownership, I’d never even touched the damn thing let alone examine it. It still had the manual in it, but the buyer was anticipating extra plastics or something.

I’ve opened maybe two goodie bags in my life, for my NIB games I guess, wanting to look at the manuals. Can’t remember what all was in them, but it wasn’t life altering and I don’t recall extra plastics. I think stuff like that came in the coin box?

Lesson learned! Don’t mention the goodie bag! Or, just ransack that fucker, enjoy the spoils, and lord that fact all over the new buyer!

#132 4 years ago

Raised in a meadow by a family of beavers.

Cool! You were born in Canada too

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Only a sealed in the bag tilt bob tells me all I need to know about whoever I'm buying a game from. And if it ever got any serious play or not.

Tilt Bob doesn't come in the stapled bag.

#134 4 years ago

"Minty fresh" and "LOADED!" the two I hate the most.

#135 4 years ago

dupe post

#136 4 years ago

Probably just a fuse

#137 4 years ago

I just want to know how many people started to twitch as they read that ad.

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

I can’t stand reading in an ad, “I’m in no rush to sell so if I don’t get my price, I’ll just keep it.”

“Price is firm” conveys the same point without the passive aggressive undertones.

#139 4 years ago

You don’t see this one any more but I used to love “last chance before it goes to eBay!”

eBay?! Sir, you wouldn’t dare!!!

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I fucking hate ads that says "replaced with custom apron cards or custom apron cards included"

I would wager you have never seen an ad that says "replaced with custom apron cards or custom apron cards included" as that would be redundant and illogical. One or the other, sure.

"replaced with custom apron cards" or "custom apron cards included"

#141 4 years ago

'Price can only go up in value' or 'It's a great investment'

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

The one word that really cheeses me off when I read it in all the bad ads is "RARE"... People think a run of 4k is a rare pinball machine. Or a run of 7k or a run of 14k is rare.
    That is the main thing that drives me nuts...
    And so what if a game is rare. Breakshot had a run of 1k and you still see it pop up for a very reasonable price quite often. Rare does not mean it's expensive.
    Same goes for antique or vintage.
    Then lastly... One thing I do not like is being lied to when I'm going to purchase a pin. I had one seller tell me he had all brand new plastics. And also the leg levelers(as the pin was on wheels... Yep wheels). I agreed to the price. But, when I got there. He didn't have the levelers and he didn't really know what plastics were... As he only had the yellow lane roll over plastics... But, those he couldn't even find(they're like a buck on every pinball site)... So While I told him, I'd need to buy new legs. I wanted a discount. Only 50 dollars. But, nope...
    I did buy the pin. And I'm happy with the purchase. And I couldn't get those wheels off, and I wound up just buying new legs for it. Funny thing is my brother says I was ripped off. But, I think the price was fair for the pin and condition, and also since the house was about 12 blocks away from where I live... Really convenient. So not a bad deal... Just don't lie to me,and tell me what you really have.

No need for a truck, you could just wheel it home

#143 4 years ago

I'm selling this for a friend....

That usually means every time you give an offer they need to "talk" to the friend. In reality, it's just a ploy to see what offers come in and keep everyone interested for a few extra days.

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You don’t see this one any more but I used to love “last chance before it goes to eBay!”
    eBay?! Sir, you wouldn’t dare!!!

You still see it. In fact, a recently listed "NBA - Kobe on backglass" pinside listing ended with that exact conclusion.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/85653

Was only $4850 Pinside price!

edit: found it for the very low price of $16,000

ebay.com link: 2009 Stern NBA pinball game KOBE BRYANT working 100 mostly LEDed

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I hear ya there. Didn’t you know that custom apron cards add at least $50 in value. Lol.

#146 4 years ago

I wish I would have screenshotted the ridiculous puffed up ad on one of the facebook groups recently for a Viper Night Driving. Seller thought she could ask something like $4k or $5k if she made the sales pitch sound like a sleazy used car salesman.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I would wager you have never seen an ad that says "replaced with custom apron cards or custom apron cards included" as that would be redundant and illogical. One or the other, sure.
    "replaced with custom apron cards" or "custom apron cards included"

This guy gets it.

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Tilt Bob doesn't come in the stapled bag.

It does come in a sealed bag, like he says. At least, that's how I found one in the HUO LoTR I picked up...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/156#post-4206852

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've only been asked that dumb question a few times in 20 years, but the answer is always "I would rather have money right now than this particular game."
    I suppose one could flip the script and demand to know why they are buying?

Sometimes questions are asked not for a specifically correct answer, but for the response to determine if you might be dealing with a bullshitter.

You'd be surprised how much information you can get from some sellers just by asking questions you consider dumb.

#150 4 years ago

duplicate

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-statements-that-annoy-me/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.