Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1486ED38-8071-4CA9-8876-AEBF442C5986 (resized).jpeg
    110636716_1800x1135_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20200310-210901_eBay (resized).jpg
    20191006_124204 (resized).jpg
    pin4sale (resized).PNG
    0AD7E3DD-56CE-4A76-BA3C-445F4E2F4B65 (resized).png
    85097316_10219169862494955_8171055283548717056_n (resized).jpg
    selling (resized).jpg
    damn judge (resized).jpg
    There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I agree with Breger. It is somewhat annoying when sellers post a pin for sale with tentative language such as:
    "I'm contemplating maybe selling this game"
    "I don't really want to sell this game"
    Etc etc
    Either it's for sale or it's not. Acting like it's not, when it clearly is, for some perceived upper hand in the negotiations is annoying. If you truly don't want to sell it then don't even bother with the ad.

Hmm, not sure about that, or maybe there should be a separate forum. There are many pinballs which do not move in enough volume to really assess an accurate price. If someone is on the fence about selling one of these, I think it is perhaps mostly fear of price police. I'd still like to know if they are tentatively thinking of selling if the price is right, testing the waters, see what people will offer.. as a buyer, I'd rather wade through this, than not know about a tentative sale at all.

#52 4 years ago

When the ad starts,
    "Up for sale is this..."
    really tweaks me. I know I am being silly but.... (spoiler alert) I know it is up for sale. I am looking at a for sale ad!!!

#53 4 years ago

This is yet another thread on this site that makes me realize no matter what the subject, people are nit picky, self absorbed, and have it way too good. The only thing that bothers me about pinball for sale ads is the prices.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

"I hate this boring ass game it was a waste of money so I need to find a sucker fast!"

I think I might use this line in my next sale ad. Thanks Yelobird!

#55 4 years ago

Works 100% except for xyz - that ain’t 100% buddy

Works but needs xyz parts replaced, which I’ve included, will look great with the new ramps = Bailing on this project and trying to recoup my costs

Works great, but has issue with xyz, don’t have time to install the new part which is included = I’m bailing on this project and have no idea if the new part will fix this issue I’ve been struggling with for months.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

No tirekickers = seller is a dickhead

Quoted from grantopia:

Meh. I'll happily have people think I'm a dickhead if it saves me 3 days and 500 pictures back and forth to ultimately end in some variation of: "well, let me check with the wife you know how that goes lolololol"..."I'll see when my buddy with a truck is available and let you know"..."I need to sell my game/donate plasma/hit the lottery/etc. this month and I should be able to get it"..."well with [insert holiday here] the budget is pretty tight".

Anyone that's ever sold anything on Craigslist knows tire kickers are a pain in the ass. But adding "no tire kickers" to your posting is about as effective as adding "no money order scams." They'll come out of the woodwork regardless.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Anyone that's ever sold anything on Craigslist knows "tire kickers" are a pain in the ass. But adding "no tire kickers" to your posting is about as effective as adding "no money order scams." They'll come out of the woodwork regardless.

Well, I always like to put, "Please, no jerks," in my ad (sometimes in bold). This way I don't have to deal with jerks. I don't like jerks.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Anyone that's ever sold anything on Craigslist knows "tire kickers" are a pain in the ass. But adding "no tire kickers" to your posting is about as effective as adding "no money order scams." They'll come out of the woodwork regardless.

Very true, but at least it makes me feel like I gave it a shot ha. Usually asking for a deposit or just telling them they are welcome to come see the game in person is enough to make them stop.

#59 4 years ago

I put “no lowball offers or I’ll donkey punch your wife” in an ad on a 2nd amendment group and got suspended. They support the 2nd but not the first?

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Don't want to buy a game? Totally cool, but window shop on your own time.

that's what they're doing......

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

I put “no lowball offers or I’ll donkey punch your wife” in an ad on a 2nd amendment group and got suspended. They support the 2nd but not the first?

You should have threatened to shoot her instead.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from bitternerd:

When the ad starts,
    "Up for sale is this..."
    really tweaks me. I know I am being silly but.... (spoiler alert) I know it is up for sale. I am looking at a for sale ad!!!

^this^

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I've never actually have someone show up to buy/look at a pin and not purchase, but at the same time I load my ads up with photos and videos

Nope... just give it time...

#64 4 years ago

So everyone's idea of a "good" ad is:

Game
    Price
    Pictures

Because apparently anything that anybody writes will annoy at least somebody, even if that somebody is not buying the game. You guys are impossible. Can't use the phrase "up for sale" so that would exclude "I'm listing for sale" or "I'm selling." How about we reduce it to pictograms.
    selling (resized).jpgselling (resized).jpg

EDIT: am I turning into CrazyLevi ??!!!

#65 4 years ago

"why are you selling" is a pretty legitimate question especially when buying something big ticket
    Imagine thinking of buying a house and you ask the Agent "why are they selling"

Good answers would be
    "the kids are all gone and we're down sizing"
    or
    "we've out grown it and need a bigger place"

Bad answers would be
    "the walls are bleeding"
    or
    "mole people have breached the basement walls"

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

So everyone's idea of a "good" ad is:
    Game
    EDIT: am I turning into crazylevi ??!!!

No. For that you would have had to started with "That has to be the stupidest thing I've read on these forums."

#68 4 years ago

I know what I have

85097316_10219169862494955_8171055283548717056_n (resized).jpg85097316_10219169862494955_8171055283548717056_n (resized).jpg
    #69 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

"why are you selling" is a pretty legitimate question especially when buying something big ticket

Fucking A...so carguments weren't bad enough now we're having houseguments?
    Big ticket items like pinball machines and houses...wow.

#70 4 years ago

I've only been asked that dumb question a few times in 20 years, but the answer is always "I would rather have money right now than this particular game."

I suppose one could flip the script and demand to know why they are buying?

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've only been asked that dumb question a few times in 20 years...

I guess it's possibly OK as a talking point on a message board, like just being nice and wondering aboot a game you don't know much aboot?

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

now that is funny

#73 4 years ago

Super rare, only 7,500 produced!

#74 4 years ago

"Not in a hurry to sell"

"I know what I have"

"gently used"

#75 4 years ago

“I already have a buyer lined up so just listing this in case it falls through”

Or

“My wife ran off with the butcher leaving me to try and feed my 14 kids so I need to move this as fast as possible”

Or

“I just found out <Insert major life trauma here> So I need to pity guilt you all in to paying my inflated price so you can feel good about yourself”

Or

“0ne of only X machines built out of Y total manufactured with puce colored “Extra Ball” inserts”

Or

“Translite signed by 37 people from the last big pin convention autograph signing session”

Or

“Includes signed piece of toilet paper from the shit the delivery driver took in my bathroom after delivering my first NIB machine”

Or

“Includes every item ever possibly written, printed, or published on or about this machine in every trade magazine since it was debuted, including every non-pinball related gee-gaw that does or does not relate directly or indirectly to the theme.”

#76 4 years ago

If they ever make a "Grumpy Old Men 3" they should raid this forum for source material.

People ask questions when they are making a decent-sized purchase. I never ask a gumball machine "why are you selling the gumballs" but you can bet I will ask it if someone trying to sell me a used car. I don't care about the why... but I want to see if they are nervous... do they have a story... are they trying to pass off a lemon onto me?

#77 4 years ago

I'm annoyed when people don't tick the "Create Forum Topic" box. Especially when there is obvious shenanigans in the listing we need to berate @OP for.

#78 4 years ago

Why has no one created a for sale ad yet with all of these phrases listed?

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

Afraid they might sell something?

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

Now that would be funny

#81 4 years ago

Asking to provide a reason to sell is what doesn't make sense in the first place ! Who cares why you sell it, what matters is what you sell and how much you sell it for.

#82 4 years ago

I hate the whole, just gauging interest thinking about selling my *****
    If it's a pin there's interest just put it out there!

#83 4 years ago

When the seller just cuts the info from IPDB and pastes it as their ad.

Example:
    1993 Bailey Twilight Zone (yes Bally autocorrected to Bailey on this hypothetical ad)

Theme: Adventure - Supernatural - Licensed Theme
    Specialty: Widebody
    Notable Features: Flippers (4), Pop bumpers (3), Ramps (2), Dual left inlanes, "Rocket" kicker. Dual autoplunger/manual plunger arrangement. Maximum 1 buy-in ball per player (operator option).

Magnets on the main playfield are situated on the looping lane and catch the ball to aid in hitting shots into the camera and piano. They are not under player control.

If you are a pinball person, you know what the game does...if you’re not a pinball person you have zero clue what a “dual autoplunger/manual plunger arrangement” is anyways!

#84 4 years ago

I hate when people say "I just replaced the plunger tip" or some other 30 cent part. Drives me nuts!

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

I hate when people say "I just replaced the plunger tip" or some other 30 cent part. Drives me nuts!

How about when the list of features includes "vacuumed out cabinet"?

#86 4 years ago

Man, this might be the most pointless thread ever on Pinside. If you really want the game, you’ll buy it despite these “annoying” statements. If you don’t want the game, GTFO

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from erico201:

When the seller just cuts the info from IPDB and pastes it as their ad.
    Example:
    1993 Bailey Twilight Zone (yes Bally autocorrected to Bailey on this hypothetical ad)
    Theme: Adventure - Supernatural - Licensed Theme
    Specialty: Widebody
    Notable Features: Flippers (4), Pop bumpers (3), Ramps (2), Dual left inlanes, "Rocket" kicker. Dual autoplunger/manual plunger arrangement. Maximum 1 buy-in ball per player (operator option).
    Magnets on the main playfield are situated on the looping lane and catch the ball to aid in hitting shots into the camera and piano. They are not under player control.
    If you are a pinball person, you know what the game does...if you’re not a pinball person you have zero clue what a “dual autoplunger/manual plunger arrangement” is anyways!

You beat me to this one. I'm surprised it took someone so long to talk about it. I hate when the game is described as if no one ever heard of it before.

My other one is ALL CAPITALS. MY AD IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN ALL OTHER ADS.

#88 4 years ago

Cool. More cheap games for me.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Well, you might get some cheap games but the rest of us will sleep well knowing we held true to our for-sale ad principles! How well will you sleep? (this is very rhetorical)

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

From what I've noticed the "dumber" the sale ad with more useless information the higher the price.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

From what I've noticed the "dumber" the sale ad with more useless information the higher the price.

LOL....well you got me there

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

LOL....well you got me there

Believe me no one is bitching when there's actually a good deal! We've all sat through a load of crap when buying in person

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I was borned in a hospital. Abandoned at birth. Raised in a meadow by a family of beavers. Each day we set out to build.............. Ooops. Sorry. I was going with my dam story.
    LTG : )

Hey you. Quit chucking my wood!

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Hey you. Quit chucking my wood!

As a graduate of Beavercreek High School, I can not let people think woodchucks and beavers have anything to do with each other...

#95 4 years ago

"Unforseen emergency hammertoe surgery"
    That one really grinds my gears.

#96 4 years ago

The one word that really cheeses me off when I read it in all the bad ads is "RARE"... People think a run of 4k is a rare pinball machine. Or a run of 7k or a run of 14k is rare.

That is the main thing that drives me nuts...
    And so what if a game is rare. Breakshot had a run of 1k and you still see it pop up for a very reasonable price quite often. Rare does not mean it's expensive.

Same goes for antique or vintage.

Then lastly... One thing I do not like is being lied to when I'm going to purchase a pin. I had one seller tell me he had all brand new plastics. And also the leg levelers(as the pin was on wheels... Yep wheels). I agreed to the price. But, when I got there. He didn't have the levelers and he didn't really know what plastics were... As he only had the yellow lane roll over plastics... But, those he couldn't even find(they're like a buck on every pinball site)... So While I told him, I'd need to buy new legs. I wanted a discount. Only 50 dollars. But, nope...

I did buy the pin. And I'm happy with the purchase. And I couldn't get those wheels off, and I wound up just buying new legs for it. Funny thing is my brother says I was ripped off. But, I think the price was fair for the pin and condition, and also since the house was about 12 blocks away from where I live... Really convenient. So not a bad deal... Just don't lie to me,and tell me what you really have.

#97 4 years ago

I dislike it when someone spells immaculate correctly.

#98 4 years ago

I misread. Nevermind!

#99 4 years ago

Funny, I use all the hated phrases mentioned when I sell I game!
    Never had a problem!

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

I have often told people "That doesn't really matter."

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-statements-that-annoy-me/page/2?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.