Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1486ED38-8071-4CA9-8876-AEBF442C5986 (resized).jpeg
    110636716_1800x1135_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20200310-210901_eBay (resized).jpg
    20191006_124204 (resized).jpg
    pin4sale (resized).PNG
    0AD7E3DD-56CE-4A76-BA3C-445F4E2F4B65 (resized).png
    85097316_10219169862494955_8171055283548717056_n (resized).jpg
    selling (resized).jpg
    damn judge (resized).jpg

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 4 years ago

I always find it interesting and a bit annoying when I read a sellers opening statement that reads as..”I don’t really know if I want to do this”, “this hurts me to do”, or “it pains me to do”, etc. why do people have to justify a sale? Sell or don’t sell your machine. Any reason you have is no ones business and we honestly don’t care. If there is a buyer interested then fine. If not move on. Just find this hilarious, like they’re fishing for a higher price by letting you feel they don’t have to sell it

#2 4 years ago

I find people complaining about wording in marketplace ads annoying

#3 4 years ago

Would it sell faster if they said "I hate this boring ass game it was a waste of money so I need to find a sucker fast!"? Sometimes people run out of real-estate and truly do need to unwillingly sell a game for an unforeseen opportunity.

#4 4 years ago

Perhaps it is true. I have sold games that I definitely did NOT want to sell.

#5 4 years ago

I get people sell when they don’t want to. I just don’t need your damn life story. It’s business, sell it or don’t

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Would it sell faster if they said "I hate this boring ass game it was a waste of money so I need to find a sucker fast!"? Sometimes people run out of real-estate and truly do need to unwillingly sell a game for an unforeseen opportunity.

Someone recently did post an ad with this
    Method. If I was in the market I’d buy from him for sure. It was great honesty!

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

I get people sell when they don’t want to. I just don’t need your damn life story. It’s business, sell it or don’t

Sales are built on stories. I have been in sales for over 25 years.

I guess you can just NOT buy their product (s)....

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

Read a few FS adds. If the seller does not give Some reason they are selling the First question always asked is "Why are you selling it!" Not sure how this could be so annoying really?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Sales are built on stories. I have been in sales for over 25 years.
    I guess you can just NOT buy their product (s)....

yes i get that. But please don’t tell me I’m testing the waters or I really don’t know if I want to sell it. So why are you listing it for sale?

#10 4 years ago

"Business "?? Sorry Sunshine but this is anything but a business for me...

Quoted from Breger1:

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

I just don’t need your damn life story.

I was borned in a hospital. Abandoned at birth. Raised in a meadow by a family of beavers. Each day we set out to build.............. Ooops. Sorry. I was going with my dam story.

LTG : )

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

Someone recently did post an ad with this
    Method. If I was in the market I’d buy from him for sure. It was great honesty!

Yes that was Matt. His honesty Opinions of the game more than likely cost him several hundred dollars as he Openly showed how badly he wanted to get rid of the game. Not the smartest sales strategy in my opinion.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Read a few FS adds. If the seller does not give Some reason they are selling the First question always asked is "Why are you selling it!" Not sure how this could be so annoying really?

Like TBL. No reason needed, you want to make a profit we get that and it’s your choice

#14 4 years ago

I think what you getting at it is "feelings". I'm in the wheelhouse of I don't care what you fell but apparently I'm in the minority now. People want you to know the emotional investment you have and what it means to them so you understand how important this game is. Now, I have a friend who moves games like a good used car salesman. So buying a game for him has no emotional investment and it has cost him not only some sales but some purchases because the person wants to know that the game is going to as good home. No one wants to sell a game and see it up for sale a week later for hundreds if not thousands more. That's why you get the "really don't want to sell" crap.

I'm personally fine with a little back fill on the game, where you got it or how long it sat in a little old lady's basement. Gives me an idea what's wrong or needs to be fixed. My grip is the cut and paste right from Pinball Database or whatever other original sales add is out there. I can fricking read people.

#15 4 years ago

I hate it when people say the goodie bag is still stapled inside the cabinet. Like this makes the machine better or worth more. Lol.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I hate it when people say the goodie bag is still stapled inside the cabinet

After reading that here forever, the first time I was ready to get rid of a game I used it. It did not help.

Low price moves a game I am ready to be gone. I care less if someone else makes a profit off me, if I am in a hurry to move a game out. This is my entertainment, not a business, so not trying to profit anyway.

Just having games here, with cheap beer, no driving anywhere, means a lot and saves a lot.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Breger1:

I always find it interesting and a bit annoying when I read a sellers opening statement that reads as..”I don’t really know if I want to do this”, “this hurts me to do”, or “it pains me to do”, etc. why do people have to justify a sale? Sell or don’t sell your machine. Any reason you have is no ones business and we honestly don’t care. If there is a buyer interested then fine. If not move on. Just find this hilarious, like they’re fishing for a higher price by letting you feel they don’t have to sell it

Perhaps it's a way to say "I'm bored with this game but I don't want you to think it's a boring game because I really want you to buy it."

It's a positive review wrapped in a sales pitch with a bit of urgency thrown in. "Get it quick before I change my mind."

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Exactly. How is saying something like "hate to sell but need space" a life story? People want to know why you are selling, if anything is wrong with the game, and if you took good care of it. A good seller will communicate these things. Bad seller will just throw up a few blurry pics from 20 feet away with little to no information.

#19 4 years ago

People say it because they are politely telling you not to lowball them.

Two options
    1- "Don't waste my time with a lowball offer"
    2- "I really hate to part with this game"

Some people may prefer #1 but most people see that as someone being needlessly gruff and communicates that they may be tough to deal with.

#20 4 years ago

I agree with Breger. It is somewhat annoying when sellers post a pin for sale with tentative language such as:

"I'm contemplating maybe selling this game"

"I don't really want to sell this game"

Etc etc

Either it's for sale or it's not. Acting like it's not, when it clearly is, for some perceived upper hand in the negotiations is annoying. If you truly don't want to sell it then don't even bother with the ad.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I hate it when people say the goodie bag is still stapled inside the cabinet. Like this makes the machine better or worth more. Lol.

You mean I can go ahead and unstaple mine?

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

It will be worth less!!

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

It will be worth less!!

Man, I better not risk it. I've always wondered what was in there though . . .

#24 4 years ago

Man, I better not risk it. I've always wondered what was in there though . . .

Jokes on you, mine always contain rare gold coins that sell for way more than the machine.

#25 4 years ago

Those are some of the words used when someone is going through a divorce

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

After reading that here forever, the first time I was ready to get rid of a game I used it. It did not help.
    Low price moves a game I am ready to be gone. I care less if someone else makes a profit off me, if I am in a hurry to move a game out. This is my entertainment, not a business, so not trying to profit anyway.
    Just having games here, with cheap beer, no driving anywhere, means a lot and saves a lot.

Yeah, I think for people with smallish collections that don't buy and sell pins all of the time it makes some sense to not sweat pricing a game under market value and seeing it sell quickly. Plus, it helps the people that buy and sell pins all the time. A win/win. If it cost me 50/100 a month to have owned a pin when all is said and done, I'm fine with it. Now if multiplied that by five pins it would be a different story.

#27 4 years ago

Save the staple and the bag.

#28 4 years ago

I hate "Minty mint". It just makes me want to slap the shit out of them.

#29 4 years ago

Tasteful mods

#30 4 years ago

When a buyer asks, "Why are you selling this?" the correct answer is none of your F**KING business.

What is a good answer to that question? My family is broke and I need money? I'm dying and have to sell stuff so the wife isn't stuck with it? The game is boring as can be?

People need to look at the item and then decide if they want it for that price. Nothing else matters but it is important to be honest and disclose any problems or flaws.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Tasteful mods

Hah this one def. goes two ways... one is blue LEDs in the GI and poorly 3D-printed dolls. Conversely, sometimes it's a color DMD, LED OCD, invisiglass etc...

I'm OK with personal asides about being out of space and missing it or whatever.

If I see NO LOWBALLERS NO SCAMMERS and other misc. angry all caps cautionary advice I probably won't bother reaching out.

Also: "I SPENT $1500 DOLLARS HAVING THE WORLDS GREATEST TECH CHANGE A COIL SLEEVE AND SHOP IT OUT" is another fun one.

Words aside, it's the blurry glass-on pictures in a dark room with the game turned on that are the WORST! Stop doing this.

#32 4 years ago

I hate when people say just testing the waters and try to sell it for $2000 over market value. We would all test the waters and take 40% over what a machine is worth.

#33 4 years ago

“Extremely rare, highly collectable”, “not nearly enough produced”, “fine, hand rubbed, Corinthian Leather”, “only played two times a year on my aniversary and birthday”, “ from a smoke-free, pet-free home”, “replaced the balls every 200th game”, “minor flaking of the BG”, “barely noticable 4 inch gouge in the flipper area”, “once owned by <insert celebrity name here>”, “has minor issues that don’t affect gameplay”, and a whole lot more...

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

“Extremely rare, highly collectable”, “not nearly enough produced”, “fine, hand rubbed, Corinthian Leather”, “only played two times a year on my aniversary and birthday”, “ from a smoke-free, pet-free home”, “replaced the balls every 200th game”, “minor flaking of the BG”, “barely noticable 4 inch gouge in the flipper area”, “once owned by <insert celebrity name here>”, “has minor issues that don’t affect gameplay”, and a whole lot more...

Actually, the "Smoke Free Home" one is something I do like to see, assuming it's true. A lot of negatives can come from a heavy smoker. Mainly the machine can stink to high heaven, and nicotine stains are awful to try and clean. Even just getting parts from a smokers house can trigger allergies for me when I open the box if the stink is strong enough.

-Hans

#35 4 years ago

Damnit Janet.

I'm stuck on Dams.

damn judge (resized).jpgdamn judge (resized).jpg
    #36 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Actually, the "Smoke Free Home" one is something I do like to see, assuming it's true

Thats the reason it bothers me, because most times, it is not true... but also, for a pinball machine, I’m more worried about roached pf’s and non-existant BG art that is laying all flaky at the bottom of the cabinet, because honestly, by the time I buy a used machine, it has seen every smoky bar and dive between Milwakee and Muskogee.

#37 4 years ago

"looks good for its age"...i.e. it looks like crap.

#38 4 years ago

My favorite:

"If it doesn't sell, then I'll just keep it"

#39 4 years ago

For every post you describe, there are 10 people asking why are you selling it.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

For every post you describe, there are 10 people asking why are you selling it.

Correct, and those people are even worse.

#41 4 years ago

When I sell a game, I like to put it in a new box. That way, when I sell it, I can ad the line "in new box" (INB)

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

My friend and I joke about this. We have nice HUO games. "but is it stapled, man? No? Ouch".

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I'm stuck on Dams.

R@RE ! L@@K ! D@M !

#44 4 years ago

I just put all my pins up for

FREE!

with $10000 donation.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from tdddddd:

My favorite: "If it doesn't sell, then I'll just keep it"

This one always gets me too. I guess they're worried that we'll assume it's going to Goodwill if they don't sell it by the end of the week?

#46 4 years ago

No tirekickers = seller is a dickhead

#47 4 years ago

"HUO since..." has been trending lately

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I've never actually have someone show up to buy/look at a pin and not purchase, but at the same time I load my ads up with photos and videos. I get the idea most people that post about tire kickers are the ones that post 3 fuzzy pictures from a night vision camera and don't disclose the issues while asking top dollar.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Meh. I'll happily have people think I'm a dickhead if it saves me 3 days and 500 pictures back and forth to ultimately end in some variation of: "well, let me check with the wife you know how that goes lolololol"..."I'll see when my buddy with a truck is available and let you know"..."I need to sell my game/donate plasma/hit the lottery/etc. this month and I should be able to get it"..."well with [insert holiday here] the budget is pretty tight".

Don't want to buy a game? Totally cool, but window shop on your own time.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I hate "Minty mint". It just makes me want to slap the shit out of them.

Game is "Mint" = you are blatantly lying and/or ignorant about the definition

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-statements-that-annoy-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.