Selling on Ebay question

By goldenboy232

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I've always sold games on either Craigslist or Pinside, but to reach a larger market I'm thinking about posting a couple of EMs on Ebay.

How does the fee work? How much do they take out? I can't understand the page that explains it very well. Thought veteran sellers here could give perspective/advice.

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I don't have experience with pins on eBay, but have sold lots of other things. Typical is ~10% eBay fees and then 3% to PayPal. eBay invoices you at the end of the month for all of your fees, while PayPal takes their cut immediately upon the sale.

#3 4 years ago

i took a damn near $200 hit on a playfield I sold on ebay - make sure you cover yourself price-wise.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from mettle64:

I don't have experience with pins on eBay, but have sold lots of other things. Typical is ~10% eBay fees and then 3% to PayPal. eBay invoices you at the end of the month for all of your fees, while PayPal takes their cut immediately upon the sale.

ebay also takes 10% of the shipping price.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Interesting! I tend to ship small items and always include free shipping so I was unaware. Glad to know that I'm not getting dinged when I roll shipping into the item price.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

what a scam ! 10% of shipping , ebay is worst then the UPS shakedown at the front door !

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from mettle64:

Interesting! I tend to ship small items and always include free shipping so I was unaware. Glad to know that I'm not getting dinged when I roll shipping into the item price.

Either way, you're still getting charged 10%, whether it's on the item price or the shipping separately.

#8 4 years ago

This is making me re-think Ebay. Maybe I'll just stick to my usual methods.

#9 4 years ago

Seems like most pins on Ebay are really just marketing posts, with reference to the seller's business.

I don't see Ebay as a great place to sell EM's. They are typically less than $1,000 and shipping is prohibitive unless it is a very desirable title. So who are you trying to reach?

You probably cover most of your market area with CL & Pinside already.

There are many FB groups for selling pins, have you looked into that?

#10 4 years ago

Last I checked you'll be paying out closer to or above 15% of the ending price because of the shipping price that gets integrated into the final value. For pins or anything that costs $$$ to ship, I think that's VERY unfair. say, for argument's sake you sell a pin for 1000.00 and add 300.00 for shipping. The final value fee is on 1300.00 NOT 1000.00 like it should be. I won't even get into the return policy that ebay FORCES on the seller...be very, very careful with this. You may want to consider other methods other than ebay.

#11 4 years ago

The benefit of ebay is a larger audience. All you have to do is figure in the fees to your asking price.

One other thing to keep in mind--if the buyer gets charged sales tax, paypal's 3% cut comes from sum of the total price + sales tax, not just the total price. So that's a bit more of a bite.

#12 4 years ago

Not to mention the reversal of your funds for up to 60+ days the second the buyer complains to eBay or PayPal about "fraud", "misrepresentation" etc...

Many many posts on here about how out of hand eBay has become for the sellers.

#13 4 years ago

Without having all the figures, (others are covering that) ebay is sucking all the fun out of selling anything. Fees up the wazoo, and the paypal fee too. Still you do have a big audience. I use it sometimes for parts and things. I like it when someone sees my ebay ID dozer1-2003 and figures out I am here and PM's me. That's awesome when it works out.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

120 days now.

DAMN, I got lucky, my last one was only held for about 50. Was only for $180.00 however.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

DAMN, I got lucky, my last one was only held for about 50. Was only for $180.00 however.

It's not held for that long--it's just the refund/dispute window that is open for that long.

#17 4 years ago

They take a big chunk, then if you use paypal they also take a chunk. Use salescalc to figure out your estimate sales, costs and profit etc. Just google it "salescalc" and type in the correct info,

hope this helps.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from luch:

what a scam ! 10% of shipping , ebay is worst then the UPS shakedown at the front door !

They do that because sellers were artificially inflating the shipping cost while reducing the item cost to avoid fees. Sellers were listing items at $1 with $49 shipping so they pay basically no fees on their sale of a $50 item.

#19 4 years ago

Count on 15-20% lost to fees and shipping.

They do charge based on the final value w/ shipping...but their shipping portal usually has a discount that obfuscates that component of the fees.

#20 4 years ago

It's a machine not a part. So most likely the buyer will arrange their own shipping outside of Ebay. There won't be any fees on that.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

It's a machine not a part. So most likely the buyer will arrange their own shipping outside of Ebay.

It's possible, and the most convenient... but eBay system is pretty aggressive about isolating contacts.

You will have to list a shipping option, or include shipping or list as pick Up Only.

#22 4 years ago

That may be true. My experience have been items that have been listed as pick up only. That doesn't mean a shipping company can't do the pick up. Some ads list pick up only but mention in the description if they are willing to work with a buyers shipping company. Putting the shipping responsibility on the buyer not something that is included in the sale.

#23 4 years ago

I only use feeBay to sell small items with little to no risk, such as movies, clothes, etc. With pinball machines and arcade related stuff, I stick to the local group. Atleast I meet the person who is buying it and discuss the machine with them. Cash in hand always beats having to pay the internet leeches.

#24 4 years ago

I sold a pin on ebay many years ago to some guy in Canada and I agreed to wait a few weeks to give him time to come get it. He paid for it right away and a month turned into several months and I still had it here, no time to come down here and get it even though it was part of a vacation he was going to take supposedly. After 4 months I still had it here still totally paid for and he tells me he didn't have time to get it because he just got back from a vacation in Florida. I'm no whiz at geography but I'm roughly somewhere between Canada and Florida... At that point I just refunded him and ate the fees. What really gets me is he was more disappointed that he couldn't still come to get the game from me since he still wanted it. I was more concerned that I had this guys money and the thing he bought from me that he refused to come to get. That was my last ebay pin sale. Good luck!

#25 4 years ago

Also, keep in mind that if you are selling high dollar pins, many pins, or just a lot of items in general, paying for an eBay store can significantly reduce your fees (at least, if the items sell). A Basic store subscription is around 28 bucks if purchased month-to-month but you get double the free insertions, the eBay specific fees per item drop from 10% to 4.915%, and the max per item fee paid drops from $750 to $350.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

This is making me re-think Ebay. Maybe I'll just stick to my usual methods.

I have sold 3-4 games via ebay...every one I think the person messaged me and we did a deal outside of ebay. I basically use it as an ad. Is that terrible? I pay tons of fees and have a store subscription so I give them plenty of cash.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Is that terrible?

Justify it however you want, but technically.... Yes. Use Facebook or CL or LetGo or the million other apps/sites available if you want to post items for sale and not pay the fees. eBay fees are the price you pay for getting your item in front of a large buying audience and not having to make a face-to-face sale. Inserting listings on eBay just to use them as a vehicle for your ad to sell outside of eBay not only takes legitimate sales away from eBay, but also promotes shitty buying and selling practices and turns other people off from using it. I hate when I see something I'm interested in, start watching it, and then it magically just disappears or the listing is ended. More often that not, this is why.

Might be good for you and the buyer in that particular circumstance, but fee avoidance just helps drive higher fees....then people bitch about the fees and try harder to avoid them.

Kind of like how everyone sneaks candy into a movie theater but then also complains how the theater charges $5.50 for a $1.50 pack of Sour Patch Kids....

#29 4 years ago

The allure of ebay as a buyer is the no interest paypal. Pretty much anything is 6 months zero interest. Seen some games at 24 months no interest.

I try to keep cash for pins but house projects zap that fund. Realistically a 1500 or less game I can swing whenever. Yet a 2500-4k game I gotta sell off a game/save/take on a side job and hide money before it gets alloted to house stuff.

If sellers on market place/facebook/etc would take paypal I'd gladly pay the 3% fee to grab a pin at no interest for 6 to 24 months.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Kind of like how everyone sneaks candy into a movie theater

Guilty of that when I was a kid. There used to be a 3 screen movie theater in walking distance when I was a kid, and I cut the lining of a jacket to fit all kinds of colas and cracker jacks in.

In much later years I was asked if I was interested in buying that movie theater. I was told you do not make anything on the movies, you make your money off the concession stand. I said hell no!

Anyway I used to be big time into Ebay, but Amazon just became easier for me as a seller of music and movies and for a while books also.

For the last maybe 10 years actually my friend has been using my ebay account to sell his stuff, and sometimes list something for me as a favor back. I basically just walked away from my ebay account with over 25k positive feedbacks vs 5 negatives.

Ebay buyers are more pain in the butt buyers than Amazon buyers, but now Amazon fees are also through the roof, and to do anything new there I would have to jump through hoops.

I am done with ebay. If and when Amazon gets to be even more of a pain in the butt I will be done with them also.

I have a 20+ year history with ebay and Amazon. Some history with CL, but nothing as expensive as a pin.

I can 100% say, just because ebay has a larger audience, that site is the worst as far as possible headaches for a seller.

Instead of trying to get top dollar and possibly end up with tons of headaches and money lost, just use Pinside, and post the game for a decent deal.

The last game I sold on Pinside was a AC/DC prem VE. I was done with it and ready for something else. At 5500 it went fast locally.

A good price will sell fast locally, and for me anyway, not worth the headaches and fees to try to get top money for a pin.

#31 4 years ago

To be fair, they contact me and have cross referenced and figured out it’s on CL as well...so I am using CL as suggested—just have it on ebay as well. Also pay subscription for a store on ebay so it’s hardly as ominous as it’s made out to be. I think I’ll sleep ok knowing I avoided fees on 3 items...and pay fees on around 1200 other items a year.

#32 4 years ago

I love eBay, our sole source of income has been from selling on eBay (among other platforms) for over 15 years now. I don’t sell pins, or anything especially expensive, via eBay

You can get the same exposure without the hassle via Facebook Marketplace. Join groups like “pinball for sale” and any local-to-you pinball groups. Post one for sale ad on the marketplace and select your pinball groups when it asks you where you want the ad to be seen.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Justify it however you want, but technically.... Yes. Use Facebook or CL or LetGo or the million other apps/sites available if you want to post items for sale and not pay the fees. eBay fees are the price you pay for getting your item in front of a large buying audience and not having to make a face-to-face sale. Inserting listings on eBay just to use them as a vehicle for your ad to sell outside of eBay not only takes legitimate sales away from eBay, but also promotes shitty buying and selling practices and turns other people off from using it. I hate when I see something I'm interested in, start watching it, and then it magically just disappears or the listing is ended. More often that not, this is why.
Might be good for you and the buyer in that particular circumstance, but fee avoidance just helps drive higher fees....then people bitch about the fees and try harder to avoid them.
Kind of like how everyone sneaks candy into a movie theater but then also complains how the theater charges $5.50 for a $1.50 pack of Sour Patch Kids....

Boo hoo hoo. They have progressively raised their final value fees and provided a shittier product with less seller protection over the years.

I once had a pin listed for $6000. I get an email from someone local asking if they could come look at it and they supplied their phone number. I had it listed on clist and Mr pinball classifieds as well. The guy that emailed me never came to look at it. I ended up selling it through pinside or Mr pinball, I forgot which. I ended the item on ebay. They ding me with $600 final value fee and insisted I sold it off ebay. Fortunately someone on pinside posted the fine print of the user's agreement and I had to threaten arbitration and supply a ton of documentation showing the person that contacted me didn't buy it. I finally got a refund. It was a nightmare. Ebay is a monster corporation that doesn't give a shit about you. Funny to see so many people committed to them. I have over a quarter million dollars of sales on eBay. I sell trinkets periodically but cut back drastically.

#34 4 years ago

I bought my first pin on e-bay, but I would never sell one there. After finding out the cut that e-bay took from the seller and the delay in payment, I felt the seller was unfairly cheated out of what I paid. I would never buy another pin on e-bay although I do buy and sell on e-bay fairly often.

#35 4 years ago

Here in the UK they often have Promo selling weekends , lately its been every other weekend ...£1 maximum selling fee. Most pinheads wait for those before listing pins/big ticket items

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Boo hoo hoo. They have progressively raised their final value fees and provided a shittier product with less seller protection over the years.
I once had a pin listed for $6000. I get an email from someone local asking if they could come look at it and they supplied their phone number. I had it listed on clist and Mr pinball classifieds as well. The guy that emailed me never came to look at it. I ended up selling it through pinside or Mr pinball, I forgot which. I ended the item on ebay. They ding me with $600 final value fee and insisted I sold it off ebay. Fortunately someone on pinside posted the fine print of the user's agreement and I had to threaten arbitration and supply a ton of documentation showing the person that contacted me didn't buy it. I finally got a refund. It was a nightmare. Ebay is a monster corporation that doesn't give a shit about you. Funny to see so many people committed to them. I have over a quarter million dollars of sales on eBay. I sell trinkets periodically but cut back drastically.

Could not agree more with this^^ Ebay has ALREADY raised their fees to the point of absurdity...maybe it's because of abusers to the system, maybe not--I don't really care since I always adhered to the rules. The system they implemented is terrible. It is downright hostile, but it's a free market and one can choose NOT to use them. I am among that mindset after getting repeatedly screwed over by them and their fucked-up policies to actually PROTECT the scammers. If I advertise a pin an ebay and it sells elsewhere who the hell are they to impose a fee on me because they "suspect" i may have sold it to skirt fees. Do yourselves a favor and stop using ebay. You'll sleep better, trust me.

#37 4 years ago

I've listed 4 games in the last 6 months on eBay with the disclaimer "machine is for sale locally and seller retains the right to cancel this listing at any time". None yet have sold there. Once a smart buyer looked at my local CL, and contacted me thru there and saved $$. 2 others sold within 3 days, here and one on CL. Currently have a Paragon listed, $300 more than it's listed here. 155 hits and 8 people watching in 2 days. eBay did just offer 30% off final value fees on items in "Collectibles" over $500, so that's a decent discount.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I once had a pin listed for $6000. I get an email from someone local asking if they could come look at it and they supplied their phone number. I had it listed on clist and Mr pinball classifieds as well. The guy that emailed me never came to look at it. I ended up selling it through pinside or Mr pinball, I forgot which. I ended the item on ebay. They ding me with $600 final value fee and insisted I sold it off ebay.

An easy way to deal with this situation is once you have a deal with someone locally just jack the price way up on ebay (to the point where no one will even think about it) and let the auction end by itself.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-on-ebay-question?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.