Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PersonX99
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

cb470d5f55232eba581384d588ff504a84ca5f46 (resized).jpg
IMG_9329 (resized).JPG
noragrets (resized).jpg
IMG_4993 (resized).JPG

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

I sold mine and have no regrets. While it was beautiful and played awesome, it lacked that "one more play" vibe.

#52 2 years ago

If its not getting played then theres no point to hold onto them imo since thats what they are made for. Ive gotten rid of many awesome pins that i didnt want to for something new. Never really regretted it after the new one took its place bc i enjoy keeping it fresh. You can always buy them again down the road if u miss them.

#53 2 years ago

I've been mulling this thread over throughout the day, mostly because I think I really loved my LOTR, and this thread has made me rethink why I sold it...and why I haven't even thought about it until this thread surfaced.

So I think I figured it out:

I really regret selling my Super Chexx, which I bought NIB and loved to play. Problem was, nobody would play it with me. So I begrudgingly let it go and replaced it with an ACDC premium in the spot where it sat. That game's so good that I haven't thought of the Super Chexx again (until this thread).

So that's the key: Find a game that you love even better than LOTR and put it in the slot where LOTR was. You won't even notice it missing anymore.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've been mulling this thread over throughout the day, mostly because I think I really loved my LOTR, and this thread has made me rethink why I sold it...and why I haven't even thought about it until this thread surfaced.
So I think I figured it out:
I really regret selling my Super Chexx, which I bought NIB and loved to play. Problem was, nobody would play it with me. So I begrudgingly let it go and replaced it with an ACDC premium in the spot where it sat. That game's so good that I haven't thought of the Super Chexx again (until this thread).
So that's the key: Find a game that you love even better than LOTR and put it in the slot where LOTR was. You won't even notice it missing anymore.

I guess that is part of the issue. Not sure what I'd put there. Tempting to get a DI or Alien just because they're new but I promised myself I wouldn't buy a NIB again and would wait for a pin to be out a bit so bugs can be worked out. Actually haven't given this a huge amount of thought and didn't think this thread would generate this much interest but I guess it is something we all think through when selling a pin.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I guess that is part of the issue. Not sure what I'd put there. Tempting to get a DI or Alien just because they're new but I promised myself I wouldn't buy a NIB again and would wait for a pin to be out a bit so bugs can be worked out. Actually haven't given this a huge amount of thought and didn't think this thread would generate this much interest but I guess it is something we all think through when selling a pin.

Well, you've got GOT Premium/LE on your list. Why don't you get a HUO one of those and put it in that slot. My wife and son in law were HUGE fans of LOTR, but after playing GOT once, my son in law turned to me, pointed to LOTR, and said "Sell that thing." Prices on GOT are insanely low right now because people just don't know how great it is, and how lasting it is in a collection.

#56 2 years ago

Funny you say that. Toyed with GOT many times but in some ways I like the pro version better even though here have been some great deals on LEs. I only have maybe 10-15 games or less on each so been wishy-washy (if that isn't already obvious )

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Funny you say that. Toyed with GOT many times but in some ways I like the pro version better even though here have been some great deals on LEs. I only have maybe 10-15 games or less on each so been wishy-washy (if that isn't already obvious )

Don't listen to the vocal minority. The pro, while fun, is missing half the game.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Don't listen to the vocal minority. The pro, while fun, is missing half the game.

You and I just disagree on this one. The only mitigating factor is that I bought GOT right after selling my WOZ, so I was a bit tired of the whole upper playfield thing. I picked the pro because I specifically didn't want that upper playfield. Now I will say the LE looks better, and the game is a screaming bargain right now. But I still like the pro better. I've played both, both are fun, but I'll stay with what I like.

Transformers, same thing, I always thought the Pro was the better game.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Done!

IMG_9329 (resized).JPG

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I played a pro at Pinball Life when the game first came out , but every other time I've played it's been an LE. I don't remember enough about the pro to say if I'd like it better than a LE/premium.

Like whichever version.

Other than theme, LOTR is nothing like GOT. I find my GOT LE to be a tougher game with the occasional really good game that allows you to get deeper in the game. LOTR is easier, with much longer ball times, but it has that epic quest feeling nailed.

I have a small collection, and I understand about not wanting to play it for months at a time and thinking I should replace it with something else. I had a TSPP and even though I'm a big Simpsons fan I couldn't have two deeper Keefer games in such a small collection and TSPP is gone.

If I were to move LOTR the only two games that come to mind that I would replace it with would be TZ or TWD.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

I sold mine and have no regrets. While it was beautiful and played awesome, it lacked that "one more play" vibe.

That almost needs to be in the ranking system. I'm really drawn to those games that you just keep hitting the start button on, again and again. That's not to say the other games are bad. I still like my JP for example, but it doesn't have that same feeling as BSD and TS. I'm not sure I have anything bolted to the floor; but those two are pretty close.

#62 2 years ago

I totally agree, the "one more play" feel should be part of the rankings. Some games have it some don't. Totally subjective but LOTR just didn't have it for me. Maybe due to the longer game times but I think there is more to it. What draws players to continue hitting the start button over and over? To lose track of time and have hours slip by without noticing. These are the machines I desire. LOTR was replaced with AC/DC Prem. and I have never regretted the decision.

#63 2 years ago

I'd keep a HUO LOTR LE.
LOTR are common as heck, but LEs are not.

#64 2 years ago

For collector education:

The only substantial aspect that makes LOTR LE "rare and unique" is an actual gold ink trimmed backglass which can still purchased via third party part suppliers for less than $300. I bought one as I am also a backglass collector, which there are a lot more valuable glasses than this one in the world, and they are not even all prototypes.

"Rarity does not make something valuable in upon itself, other market variables are required well beyond just hype."
- TBK

Production run of 250 machines in this case is inconsequential and another example of Stern attempts to generate artificial scarcity with little added value in comparison to the perceived market value of today.

Potential owners might as well get one of the other eight total runs for less cost.
It is the same game, same playfield (without the Walmart toys, ie less parts), same programming, same cabinet (with minor differences).
Yes, I recognize are other minor cosmetic differences included such as the brass trim, bolts, and legs.
The last part people could do on their own, if they are motivated and inclined.

Know what is is real and what is hype.

Paying $2000+ extra on top of the cost of a backglass for Gary Stern's signature and a $10 brass plaque is simply being uninformed, and no long term collector is going to be impressed as they know the differences.
The same people might be willing to buy stock in Zidware at this point and bail John out of his mess.

#65 2 years ago

I would buy the back glass just for the penis.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I would buy the back glass just for the penis.

I thought that was why the backglass was "collectible" in the first place?
The "Gandalf beard penis" VERY RARE!!! BUY IT NOW!
Don't worry if an owners installs really bright LEDs on a modified lighting backboard this will fix that right up.

cb470d5f55232eba581384d588ff504a84ca5f46 (resized).jpg

#67 2 years ago

It's really up to you. When I bought my LOTR I was going to buy an LE. Decided to buy the pro and another game for same price.
As many people have pointed out it's not a game for several people to play . it's a great game to play by yourself. My game will sit a few months without much play because everyone wants to play minute man games. However I really like the fact that it does do a great job of throwing you into the story. Hence the long ball plays. I do have a large collection and have the space to keep mine. Don't have any intention of ever selling it. I feel it keeps the lineup different since most my other pins are quick plays. One thing I can say is you probably won't get another LE for what you sell yours for so keep that in mind. However if your limited on space and only want to play quick games you might want to sell it.

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I thought that was why the backglass was "collectible" in the first place?
The "Gandalf beard penis" VERY RARE!!! BUY IT NOW!
Don't worry if an owners installs really bright LEDs on a modified lighting backboard this will fix that right up.

We can start a DICKBEARD thread to compete with another thread about "a man who is also a big game cat".

#69 2 years ago

Well, I will throw my useless opinion in to the discussion and say this... THE only premiums that Stern has released thus far containing extras that I actually feel are missing from the pro, and take away something significant from the game are...

Walking Dead Prem.
Ghostbusters Prem.

The rest of all the other junk Stern piles on is unimportant to me. It seems that Stern is finally starting to figure out that just because a game has bling and useless features does not always convince people to shell out more money.

#70 2 years ago

Well, I own one now and maybe for some people a person like me owning it makes it worthless or simply "worth less." Whatever. Seems there's a similar sentiment around original IronMan/IMVE, but curiously not AC/DC Luci (which is a relatively rare machine). It's like the unvaluable rare AC/DC.

At any rate RE: LOTR... I don't see the point of stepping on the necks of "noobs" just because they love the game. Kinda runs counter to trying to build up a love of pinball, including those running an operating business (cough cough).

Signed, another unworthy LOTR owner.

#71 2 years ago

i used to have one, sold it and i miss it.

i understand the game is not for everybody, to me lotr is a one player game, long ball time and i love it but yeah when i played with other players they didn't like it so much.
still (imo) the best game stern ever made, the rules is one of the best outhere.

will i buy a lotr ve if it happens, hell yeah!

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

We can start a DICKBEARD thread to compete with another thread about "a man who is also a big game cat".

Let's not forget about the WoZ penis with a hat on the playfield..... :p

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 219.99
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Alexandria, VA
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside