You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cb470d5f55232eba581384d588ff504a84ca5f46 (resized).jpg
IMG_9329 (resized).JPG
noragrets (resized).jpg
IMG_4993 (resized).JPG
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Toying with selling my HUO LOTRLE. I've had a lotr since I first started this hobby 4 years ago. Bought one and a tron the same week. What a way to start this hobby. I was hooked immediately. My lotr just doesn't get the play it used to but I still do enjoy it when I get on it and of course guests like it. Any of you out there ever get rid of one you weren't playing as much but still ended up regretting the decision? Would like to hear some stories either way. Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

Oh yeah, sold mine 1-2 years ago and still regret the game...
I know I can buy one back... but at a higher price now.

#3 7 years ago

Nope. Sold mine to fund a Tron - best "trade" I could ever do. LOTR was a beautiful machine to look at, but I was tired of the 45 minute games. I'd destroy the ring twice in one game and still know I'd never make to Valinor. Nobody else was touching it, either, since I got a GOT LE. The dragon kicked Balrog out of the house.

#4 7 years ago

PS - I just saw another post by you regretting selling an RFM. You've got to move past that feeling and learn to let stuff go if you're not using it. Otherwise, you become a hoarder. Then you wind up on a TV show, or on the evening news when the fire department couldn't get to you because of all the pins in the way.

#5 7 years ago

I regret selling every pin I ever sold. But that said I needed to move on. There's only so much space and cash, and there's so many great pins I haven't owned.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Nope. Sold mine to fund a Tron - best "trade" I could ever do. LOTR was a beautiful machine to look at, but I was tired of the 45 minute games. I'd destroy the ring twice in one game and still know I'd never make to Valinor. Nobody else was touching it, either, since I got a GOT LE. The dragon kicked Balrog out of the house.

I sold mine to buy a Tron about a year and a half ago. I agree with you completely.

#7 7 years ago

Had one, love it for many years, sold it, and don't miss it. I let a friend borrow it for a year and enjoyed it when I got it back for a month or so, but there is a lot of pinball to play.

#8 7 years ago

I've had mine for 6 years and have considered selling it a few times due to it getting ignored as new games came in. Never was able to part with it. Ive also never have been a good enough player to suffer many 45 minute games. Those are rare for me. Maybe that's why better players burn out of it?

#9 7 years ago

Had a LOTR since I bought it NIB 10 years ago - sold it last year and got a Hobbit. The Hobbit still has the LOTR theme & Keith ruleset, but better cabinet art, better playfield art, better/higher quality sounds/music and a LCD.

Both are great games, but I haven't missed LOTR at all.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I regret selling every pin I ever sold. But that said I needed to move on. There's only so much space and cash, and there's so many great pins I haven't owned.

You might not say this if you owned a Cue Ball Wizard. :p Those call-outs drove me insane, and it had to goooooo.

#11 7 years ago

Anytime you're strongly considering a sale, you're ready to move on. You can always buy another one! The beauty of pinball is that there are so many awesome machines to own and explore!

#12 7 years ago

i dont miss my transformers le

#13 7 years ago

owned 2 LOTR now and sold both. I dont miss it one bit.

Reality is that it is a game that noobs are drawn to but over time many people progress away from it I have found.
Actually, every single local collector I know that has been in the hobby for over 5 years, owned a LOTR at one point and has since sold it off.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

PS - I just saw another post by you regretting selling an RFM. You've got to move past that feeling and learn to let stuff go if you're not using it. Otherwise, you become a hoarder. Then you wind up on a TV show, or on the evening news when the fire department couldn't get to you because of all the pins in the way.

yeah, not much regret on RFM really. It was a perfect HUO though and that is the only reason I mentioned that. Great thing about pinball is that regret is quickly remedied with a new game! Just curious about LOTR as it is in great shape also and obviously a classic.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Had a LOTR since I bought it NIB 10 years ago - sold it last year and got a Hobbit. The Hobbit still has the LOTR theme & Keith ruleset, but better cabinet art, better playfield art, better/higher quality sounds/music and a LCD.
Both are great games, but I haven't missed LOTR at all.

This. When I want a longer game I've been going to my Hobbit for a while. My current collection of GBLE, Met Pro, AFM, SS as other pins gives me plenty of GREAT gameplay when I'm wanting a kick in the pants quick or moderate game. My desire for longer games Hobbit has simply been winning out.

#16 7 years ago

I sold one a couple years back. I had it for several years. I liked owning it more than I liked playing it. It's a great game, but sometimes LOTR almost feels like a chore to play. I replaced it with a Williams IJ and do not regret that one bit.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

+1. Had for a long time but it was time to move it out. No regrets.

#18 7 years ago

Sold mine to get an ACDC pro. Do not miss LOTR.

#19 7 years ago

I should miss LOTR but I don't. It's awesome and a dream theme, but when you play for 3 years, you need to move on. Too long for others to play with you, so once you tire of it, it's outta there.

#20 7 years ago

Love my LOTR. Took Tolkien classes in college. Would never sell it.

#21 7 years ago

I have 5 games and I have never thought of selling my LOTR and I have even gotten to Valinor before. I gave up my favorite game of all time that I never thought I would sell to get it (STTNG) too.

#22 7 years ago

It's funny that hoarding was brought up in here. I bet there are a couple serious hoarders in this hobby.

That said I think I always had to be careful not to hoard in life, but I am sure a collector of various things. Less is more now, much more.

I love lord of the rings but I would also like a got instead, possibly or a hobbit.

The game is amazing Lotr but the have never experienced the game enough to have those crazy long games. Just a beatiful game though.

Blah blah blah am i making a point? Cheers!

#23 7 years ago

LOTR is a great game to play solo. Waiting on someone to finish their 30 minute ball can get annoying.

#24 7 years ago

Sold a minty HUO one with mods about 1 year ago with all of the vault hype. I wanted a vault...it hasn't come. I regret selling my LOTR. Especially since prices came up a bit more now.

#25 7 years ago

What keeps mine hanging on is how different the gameplay is in comparison to my other games. If I want an epic game if flip it on. Admittedly, it is one of my least played pins but it sure scratches that itch when I play it.

#26 7 years ago

Until I beat it, I won't sell it. I have come close to Valinor three times but just haven't been able to pull it off yet.
Plus, it is my wife's favorite pin. I don't usually go to that pin to start a game because I know that in the chance I have a good game, I will be there for an hour. I don't want to have to stop a good game because I ran out of time. Nowadays I rarely have the time to play a good game of LOTR.
I regret selling most of my pins, some more than others. It is natural I think. For me though, once I decide to sell, it is as good as gone.

#27 7 years ago

I sold mine back in 2009 and regretted it since, so much I purchased another one in 2016

#28 7 years ago

I will share a collector story.

I bought my LOTR in 2004 during the FIRST run. Sold it a year later for the same amount of money I paid for the game, notably $3200.

BTW, Stern games back at that point actually had mostly complete programming code, unlike today. HUGE important point.
I even helped Stern and Keith with some of the hangups based on design and code points, as Stern regularly accepted feedback by owners and operators to make corrections. I have not seen this willingness as much today.

Played the the living tar out of the game, achieved TABA many times, but finally achieved Valinor twice, but this was AFTER the code was added!

Never looked back.
LOTR stops having "just one more game" interest unlike other games from the period such as TSPP. Playing gets labored, and you don't want to play for over an hour.

Ultimately, it's just a pinball machine, not a relic.

Another reason it sold was due to to the "grainy art" of the period times in comparison to nearly ALL other games of the previous period up to 1999, and the Wal-Mart action figures.

No regrets.

You just know when it's time for a game to go, and when it should stay.
This is not necessarily a long term collector title.
There is a threshold.

Some games just get eventually moved on for others to enjoy.

#29 7 years ago

I'll sell mine when I beat valinor...So prob never

#30 7 years ago

Phone hiccups

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Toying with selling my HUO LOTRLE. I've had a lotr since I first started this hobby 4 years ago. Bought one and a tron the same week. What a way to start this hobby. I was hooked immediately. My lotr just doesn't get the play it used to but I still do enjoy it when I get on it and of course guests like it. Any of you out there ever get rid of one you weren't playing as much but still ended up regretting the decision? Would like to hear some stories either way. Thanks.

So Lotr was the first pin I ever bought. Owned it for 6-7 years before selling. Regretted selling it everyday I walked into my gameroom and it was not there. I then picked up a refinery LOTR LE about a year later. Played it for a week and remembered why I sold it. Long ass ball times + I've done everything there is to do in the game numerous and numerous times (except valinor only once). I tried setting it up super hard with 2 balls + 1 extra ball max and in the end, the candle has fizzled out.

LOTR will always remain a 'classic' and one of the greats in my book; FOTR, TTT, DTR, TABA are some of the best modes in pinball, but I hope to never play one, let alone own one, ever again.

So while you may regret it at first, it's more than likely just a memory of how much fun you had on it. But that fun and adrenalin can only last so long on a machine. Sell it, and move on. If you ever feel like you regret it, go find one to play to remin yourself that, 'yup played all there is to play on this pin and that's why I sold it.'

#32 7 years ago

I sold my first one and regretted it so bought another.

However at somepoint no matter how good a pin unless you have unlimited space and money I find I end up being done with a game and sell to buy something Ill play more.

#33 7 years ago

Selling my LOTR is what brought me to Pinside!

Had LOTR for eight years and was done with it. I had one game last two hours and more than I could count last an hour or more......that got old. Sold it 5 years ago and still don't miss it.

I've learned that I generally prefer more difficult games....and by difficult I mean short ball times not getting to the ultimate wizard mode. I have Zero games over 15 minutes on IM and I LOVE IT!

Sell it....get something new and don't look back. Since selling my LOTR in 2012 I've sold 15 other games and don't regret any. There are a few I might buy back some day.....but probably not. To many other pins to try.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

owned 2 LOTR now and sold both. I dont miss it one bit.
Reality is that it is a game that noobs are drawn to but over time many people progress away from it I have found.
Actually, every single local collector I know that has been in the hobby for over 5 years, owned a LOTR at one point and has since sold it off.

F'n noobs. GOSH

#35 7 years ago

I don't regret not buying one. I don't have time for this game. Takes too long to play. Too many others to play...

#36 7 years ago

i had one. it was fun. but i sold it. very long ball times. that is the part that make people either love the game or move on. at times i miss it but i havent missed it enough to buy it again.

#37 7 years ago

I sold my first one. Since I sold it they have come out with led OCD, color dmd and colored Titan rubbers. So I just bought another one and with all the upgrades she is here to stay.

IMG_4993 (resized).JPGIMG_4993 (resized).JPG

#38 7 years ago

One thing is for sure after this thread.

I need to own and get tired of a Lotr someday.

#39 7 years ago

Hoarding - Don't do it. Your family will be left with a mess that you would not wish on anyone -that's a tale for another time.

LOTR has long ball times and I notice that mine is set to reward an extra ball every 30mil, probably up to a max number of EBs. Not sure if that is default or was set by the previous owner who was kind of a pinball novice. (I beat their GC the night I brought it home.) Anyone recall if that is the default EB score?

Obviously, turning off extra balls should make the game times more reasonable.

Might as well sell it if your not playing it!

#40 7 years ago

I'm on my second LOTR, and I doubt I'll ever sell this one. Yes, I play it less than I used to, but it is still a great game. I've never had the "hour long games" that other complain about, but a 20 minute game isn't unheard of.

The cool part about LOTR is that even though I don't play it as much as I used to, every time I do I am reminded of everything I love about the game. Destroying the ring, or even better, a Super Jackpot callout from Gimli are the best.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Hoarding - Don't do it. Your family will be left with a mess that you would not wish on anyone -that's a tale for another time.
LOTR has long ball times and I notice that mine is set to reward an extra ball every 30mil, probably up to a max number of EBs. Not sure if that is default or was set by the previous owner who was kind of a pinball novice. (I beat their GC the night I brought it home.) Anyone recall if that is the default EB score?
Obviously, turning off extra balls should make the game times more reasonable.
Might as well sell it if your not playing it!

There isn't a default EB score. The game doesn't award extra balls at any point incremental on default settings. Definitely turn that off.

#42 7 years ago

Have had tspp and LOTR for 11 years and 4 years, respectively. They don't get as much play by me as the used to, but I do play occasionally. I won't sell either as I love the themes and when I do play, I love it. I don't care how long the ball times are, it's just flat out fun pinball. Those two games are among the best ever made in my book. When we have guests over, these are among the most popular.

#43 7 years ago

Just remember that many people go with the "No Regrets" philosophy for life. So they mentally never regret anything they did, so this philosophy / psychology helps them to feel better - IE: I never make a bad choice.

You may want to consider this when evaluating the responses.

#44 7 years ago

I sold mine and don't miss it. I just wasn't playing it much at all. The long ball times sucked the fun out of it for me.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Just remember that many people go with the "No Regrets" philosophy for life. So they mentally never regret anything they did, so this philosophy / psychology helps them to feel better - IE: I never make a bad choice.
You may want to consider this when evaluating the responses.

So LOTR sucks regardless of what anybody says, got it! Wish I had this crappy game in my collection.

#46 7 years ago

I regret selling every game too. If I had room I'd own them all. Except LOTR.....

#47 7 years ago

In a large 10+ collection I don't see how you couldn't keep it. In a smaller <6 collection I don't see how you could play it forever.

If you have a small collection and actually like to play them then there really is no such thing as a lifetime keeper. They all get old.

#48 7 years ago

"Ultimately, it's just a pinball machine, not a relic."

This is me. All games can come and go. STTNG was my ultimate theme, gone. AFM was my grail, gone. All of my games will probably go, just not all of them right now.

#49 7 years ago

noragrets (resized).jpgnoragrets (resized).jpg

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

So LOTR sucks regardless of what anybody says, got it! Wish I had this crappy game in my collection.

Not sure how you interpreted my post, but that's no where near what I was saying.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
$ 25.00
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.50
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-lotr-regret and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.