2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by grantopia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

At risk of a barrage of down votes....(and at risk of this topic being already well-defined and its just me that doesn't know)

Why not charge a reduced market ad fee for pins that you ended up trading instead of selling? I suspect that the argument against this suggestion is: "you got rid of your pin and received equitable value in return thanks to pinside...pay the damn fee, cheapskate. ". That point is pretty tough to argue, but here it goes anyway...

- first off, it would not surprise me if a fair number of those that ended up trading don't end up paying any fee because they feel that their game 'did not sell'. (it was traded). If there was a trade fee, this would be black and white and Pinside would likely collect greater qty of fees.
    - sometimes (because we want what we want) you know your trade is a bad deal: your pin is undervalued, his pin is overpriced, there's considerable cash leaving your pocket, you're driving 10hrs....then you get hit with the full sales fee from pinside. in principle, I suspect pinsiders would feel better about paying a trade fee.
    - two pinsiders each with current ads simply trade their machines. No (or little money) changes hands. Seems that it would be reasonable for each of them to pay a trade fee. Paying two sell fees almost seems like double-dipping on a single transaction (or maybe both of them decide to not pay anything per my first bullet point).

So how about trade fee option that's 50-60% of the sell fee?

Anyway...let me know what I'm getting wrong.

For the record: every time I've traded from a posted ad, I paid my sell fee. So dont be too hard on me!

#2 2 years ago

I always think of it as more of a listing fee I guess (just speaking for myself), so basically paying to get your game in front of the audience here. I've also always paid the fee for games I've traded on here and treated it like a listing fee, not so much a successful sale fee.

Plus for all the repair help and knowledge I've gained here over the years I got no problem tossing them the few bucks for giving me the platform to get a game I want.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I always think of it as more of a listing fee I guess (just speaking for myself), so basically paying to get your game in front of the audience here. I've also always paid the fee for games I've traded on here and treated it like a listing fee, not so much a successful sale fee.
    Plus for all the repair help and knowledge I've gained here over the years I got no problem tossing them the few bucks for giving me the platform to get a game I want.

Unquestionably, Pinside is an incredibly valuable resource for the hobby, and I don’t mean for my suggestion of a reduced fee for trades to ultimately lower pinside’s cash flow. Perhaps I’m too pessimistic, but I suspect the majority of ads that end up as trades get shown as ‘did not sell’ and no fee is paid.

I bet there is some % for a reduced fee that…once black and white…would actually increase cash flow. Especially if that % was 100% and the fee was explicitly stated to be for whether your games sells or was traded…but maybe if that % was 50% it would still increase pinside’s cash flow?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from curban:

Unquestionably, Pinside is an incredibly valuable resource for the hobby, and I don’t mean for my suggestion of a reduced fee for trades to ultimately lower pinside’s cash flow. Perhaps I’m too pessimistic, but I suspect the majority of ads that end up as trades get shown as ‘did not sell’ and no fee is paid.
    I bet there is some % for a reduced fee that…once black and white…would actually increase cash flow. Especially if that % was 100% and the fee was explicitly stated to be for whether your games sells or was traded…but maybe if that % was 50% it would still increase pinside’s cash flow?

Maybe, but I assume they have done the math on these things. Unless you take the money up front, I assume you'll always have some people that don't end up paying when they technically should if you use the honor system.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-fee-and-trades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.