Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by EMPins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I currently have a lot of woodrail pinball machines I originally bought to part out listed on eBay. All are from Silverman's Auction a few months ago. My plan was to part these out over the Winter but a recent pulled hamstring and other health issues will not allow me to proceed as planned.

All machines are missing backglasses but I figured other parts would help other machines live on. Anyway - today I got an email from a guy wanting to buy all of them to make coffee tables. I have mixed feelings. I would love to see my trailer empty but selling these to be made into tables will not get parts to people who could use them. I am just not sure selling these to become tables is the right thing to do?

Anyway - I was just wondering what you guys thought. I would love to save all pinball machines but some stuff just isn't worth saving. Normally I make that stuff into parts to help other machines live on. But making these into coffee tables does not accomplish that. So I am really torn if I want to sell these to him.

#2 9 years ago

Please do NOT let them be coffee tables.

#3 9 years ago

Oh heck no.

These pins are part of history. Once they're gone, they're gone forever.

If they aren't worth saving, at least let them give life back to other machines that are worth saving.

#4 9 years ago

Whatever you have to do man.

I'm cleaning out my space and just today had to make some hard choices. Stuff got thrown out.

All the people clamoring for you to preserve this stuff can make an offer. If you have a chance to clear out your space AND make some dough go for it. And not that it matters, but given the condition of these games they probably have a brighter and more rewarding future as coffee tables than as pinball machines.

#5 9 years ago

they are already missing backglasses, so they have lost much of their character

at least as coffee tables they will be kinda saved

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

they are already missing backglasses, so they have lost much of their character
    at least as coffee tables they will be kinda saved

I certainly can see both sides of this. We love our games. Food for thought though.
    Look how many old historic buildings or mills now breathe new life as loft apartments when they were close to being demolished. How many cars have chopped and now are living a new life as part of a bar or restaurant. No one wants to see these games demolished, however as a table they could potentially see a new extended life. Hell, I might even be interested in buying one. Could be a cool piece to add to my decor.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All the people clamoring for you to preserve this stuff can make an offer.

+1

List the pins here, wait 1-2 weeks and see which ones will be picked up for revival.

#8 9 years ago

eBay item number:

Below is a list of machines I think are in the trailer. About half are pre-flipper and all are missing backglasses. Some are otherwise fairly complete and others have some parts missing.

Machines I think are available to choose from include:

1947 Marvel Oscar
    1940 Exhibit Pylon
    1946 Surf Queens
    1946 Williams Smarty
    1949 Chicago Coin Super Hockey
    1940 Chicago Coin Fox Hunt
    1948 Chicago Coin Temptation
    1949 Gottlieb King Arthur (BODY ONLY)
    1947 Keeney Cover Girl
    1957 Willaims Naples
    1954 Bally Big Time (25 hole flipperless) only 25 hole or bingo in the lot
    1947 Nevada (BODY ONLY)
    1946 Exhibit Fastball
    1949 Exibit Playtime (BODY ONLY)
    1948 Gottlieb Ali Baba
    1948 Genco Trade Winds (BODY ONLY)

I never thought about it or I would have included a poll on this post. I did tell the guy that was interested if I made a deal with him I would want to save some of the under playfield parts as well as parts out of the heads if we were to make a deal on the lot of machines. So at least some of the parts would still be available to save other machines.

Quoted from jlm33:+1
    List the pins here, wait 1-2 weeks and see which ones will be picked up for revival.

#9 9 years ago

This is a tough one as I hate to see machines permanently "retired". Realistically without backglasses (and lack of a specific repro or lucky find in the wild), these really need to find matching machines with backglasses in order to keep that title alive. Unfortunately, that makes them parts machines anyway.

Maybe a good compromise would be to strip the heads, cabinets, partial plastics & bumper cap sets, and under playfield parts. The guy probably doesn't want any of that anyway, and other games can be rescued with those parts.

#10 9 years ago

P.S. Well, you beat my post by 2 minutes but glad to see we are on the same page. I have Fastball and would love to get that one, but have to go with the classic - "wish I was closer".

I also had a Surf Queens at one time. That was a cool playfield that I'd like to have back. My first ever attempt at attaching a link, so hopefully this works...

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2462&picno=2341

#11 9 years ago

Skip

I am in the same boat as you, I have a number of parts woodrails from the same Morphy auction.
    my thinking is some of these just can never be restored, and what better way to honor them as a coffee
    table, or some pin related furniture. Sure beats them sitting in some shed for years providing housing to a all sorts of vermin over the years!! That's how I was told most of them were strored. Some of these playfields actually held up well and would make great art

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from TallGuy:

Maybe a good compromise would be to strip the heads, cabinets, partial plastics & bumper cap sets, and under playfield parts. The guy probably doesn't want any of that anyway, and other games can be rescued with those parts.

+1
    I really like this idea. The guy gets coffee tables made with some "character", preserving the ghost in the machine in some form at least. Certainly you would not need under playfield parts, steppers for a coffee table anyway. All that would do is make it heavier. Then you could sell off the stripped parts, or if you don't want the hassle of selling the parts off yourself, donate them to someone who could take to a show, or perhaps donate to the PHOF. Eventually some of the parts might save some other machines.

#13 9 years ago

I have been a woodrail guy for years and have owned some of the great ones. The market has been diminishing for woodies (no new info here). None of the titles you have listed are going to be in demand. I would recommend the sale. Better to become a coffee table than to end up in a dumpster.

Good luck.
    Harry Irvin

#14 9 years ago

I Actually doubt Mr Coffee Table would be interested if seller stripped plastics and caps.

All the pinball coffee tables I've seen had that stuff under the glass

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I Actually doubt Mr Coffee Table would be interested if seller stripped plastics and caps.
    All the pinball coffee tables I've seen had that stuff under the glass

I agree 100% with you on this and I wouldn't even consider taking anything off the top of these machines if I was going to sell them to be made into tables. But I figure a good bit of the under cabinet stuff could likely be salvaged before I sold them to him.

If it wasn't for a screwed up leg right now I would just keep all of them and part them out a little at a time and before parting them out I would take several pictures of each and list them one at a time just in case anyone wanted one of them to restore. But right now I am dealing with a torn hamstring, a bad knee, and some other issues so I can't move machines. I was hoping to get trailer empty for Spring so selling them as a lot seems like my best bet.

#16 9 years ago

There are plenty of pinsiders in the PA area. Would you be open to someone helping out with photos and whatnot?

(Disclaimer: I'm not in the PA area)

#17 9 years ago

If leg keeps improving I think I'll be OK to get photos and stuff in a couple weeks. At that point I'll do what I can to sell as many machines to people who want to try to save them. But for now I have the listing on eBay up as a "lot of machines" since I knew it was going to be at least a month (when I listed them) before I was going to be able to do anything with them (hamstring is normally 5 or 6 weeks to get better).

I am 60 this year & I have never asked anyone for help my entire life. I figure if I can't do it myself I shouldn't be doing it. Kind of old school I guess.

I really hate asking for favors even though I do other people favors all the time. I love helping people but never expect anything in return and hate the thoughts of asking for a favor since I'll be OK to hand things myself shortly. But it isn't a bad suggestion!

#18 9 years ago

Ali Baba is now spoken for so one more lives on. That now makes 5 of the 22 machines I originally purchased that will be fixed up instead of being made into parts or tables. So at least I saved 5 from certain death and there is still hope a few more might be saved!

Any other interest let me know ASAP before I decide to just sell the lot for Coffee Tables.

#19 9 years ago

Good to hear that Ali Baba lives! I would be interested in Fastball if anyone is traveling from PA to Michigan and could give it a ride.

I do want to clarify that I previously mentioned PARTIAL plastics and bumper cap sets. I agree that the tables need those in general, but he probably wouldn't want any that would be incomplete.

Most importantly, good luck with your recovery! It's amazing how much we take for granted, especially when it comes to our health. Get better soon!

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from TallGuy:

Most importantly, good luck with your recovery! It's amazing how much we take for granted, especially when it comes to our health. Get better soon!

It is funny you made the comment about taking for granted when we are doing OK health wise. I say the same thing all the time.

I have had bad knees since I was a teenager and about once every couple years I am down for a few weeks with a knee issue. But right now I have an infected toe on my left foot and a bad knee & torn hamstring on my right leg so it is really tough getting around. If I favor my left leg the toe gets worse and if I try to favor my right leg I feel like I am going pass out from the pain. Nothing worse than not being able to walk!

I am a big guy but I am super active and the sitting around is killing me. But at least things are improving every day and I hope next year will be much better than this year as been for me with my feet & leg.

At least next year I will not have to all but kill myself emptying out two houses my hoarder father-in-law filled with junk. Since he passed away I have filled 5 thirty yard dumpsters with garbage after we gave about the same amount of decent stuff to charity. So in 2015 I will not be abusing my body cleaning up a mess someone else made. We knew the day would come that I had to pay for his hoarding and this Fall that day arrived. Now all I need to worry about is cleaning up some of my own messes once I get to a point I can walk again.

#21 9 years ago

Who is buying these coffee tables??? You see them for sale but does anyone know of anybody who has one???

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

Who is buying these coffee tables??? You see them for sale but does anyone know of anybody who has one???

I was kind of curious about that also. But considering the work involved to make a nice one and cost of playfield or machine used to make it plus other materials I would think you would have to charge $300 or more for one just to break even?

So my guess would be high end designer type people might be putting them into high end designs. I doubt it would be "normal" pinball guys buying them. If you watch some of those house shows on TV people will pay crazy prices if a designer tells them they must have it.

#23 9 years ago

My suggestion would be to keep them in the trailer & take to Allentown show in the spring.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

My suggestion would be to keep them in the trailer & take to Allentown show in the spring.

My biggest issue is I need the trailer empty at least two months before Allentown and have no place to store these once weather breaks in the Spring. When I bought them I had hoped to take them to York this Fall but York Show was the same weekend of my mother-in-laws funeral so that plan was quickly derailed. Plan "B" was to part them out this Fall & Winter but my leg issues put an end to that. So here I am going into Winter and machines still just sitting.

The good thing is I have had several emails wanting to purchase all of them as a lot and my bottom line price has worked for all 3 potential buyers. The bad news is all 3 buyers are over 8 hours away (in 3 different directions) and none of them can justify the cost of coming to get them. So now I am thinking about trying to meet one of them half way once my leg is a little better but I am still hoping for a local sale before I resort to driving 7 or 8 hours to meet buyer 1/2 way.

I am looking to sell them cheap so that helps. The bad thing is the central PA area was flooded with hundreds of machines from Silverman's collection in the past few months so a local sale is highly unlikely.

I am sure something will work out with these machines but for now all I can do is wait and see what direction things go. Since my leg is getting better every day my next step will likely be trying them one at a time on eBay and seeing what happens. But I am still really hoping to work a deal with someone on the lot just to get my trailer back. I am tired of renting trailers when I own one I can't use!

#25 9 years ago

That's cool that you've managed to get at least 5 games into hands that'll fix them up, even with your injured leg. Best of luck with the rest!

If I was local, I'd help unload and document (and probably pick up a project or two.)

1 week later
    #26 9 years ago

Did you or one of your or one of your friends happen to buy the lot 232 Chicago coin Miami body only?
    It went for $38 bucks. I bought the while game but
    Missed bidding on the body only for some parts.
    Just wondering if you got it.

#27 9 years ago

EMPins - I didn't get that one but you might want to check with "80spit" here on pinside. He bought a good many machines also. If he didn't get it he might be able to suggest other people to check with. I only knew a couple people at the auction and neither of those bought many machines (just a couple specific machines for their collections).

Another guy that bought a bunch of machines - I don't know his name - is one of the guys that sets up at Allentown in the flea market. Maybe 80spit would have contact info - I don't - for that guy. I know he is from PA but that is about all I can tell you about him.

From memory it seemed like about 4 or 5 guys bought about 1/2 the machines at that auction so you might stand 1/2 a chance of tracking it down. Wish I could be more help but maybe 80spit can send you in the right direction.

#28 9 years ago

I know I didn't get it. I only bought pins with heads at the auction and the last lot of 30 we got, they were a mixed bag. but not lot 232 sorry. I really did not know many people there either, other than Skip and we met up after the sale. There was one guy who bought a crap ton of them, I belive he is the guy you see at Allentown. After the sale, I talked with a bunch of guys, but mostly guys who bought until there ride was full! Sorry can't help out either

#29 9 years ago

Thanks guys, it will be interesting to see what shows up at Allentown this spring.

I bought 12 machines I think. Most were for friends since I had the cargo van. The ones I wanted all sold for more then I was willing to spend. But of the ones I did buy at least they will be restored. The majorettes was the best score and it now has a new Ron Webb glass in it and it's back to all its glory and being played again.

There was honestly so many parts games it was hard to even figure out what I would have wanted to even try and tackle. And I already have a que of games to deal with at home so that limited the buying some.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-bulk-lot-of-woodrails-guy-wants-to-make-coffee-tables and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.