Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Selling a used pinball is fun”

• No, it's not 47 votes
      45%
    • Yes, I love it 21 votes
      20%
    • Who cares? 36 votes
      35%

(104 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oprah pinball murder (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    Screenshot_20220313-155651_Chrome (resized).jpg
    2A3257BE-FD60-4B03-BE0E-7055C57E53B9 (resized).jpeg
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago

I think the reality of having to hand over their money outreaches their desire of ownership of said luxury item. At that point any reason seems justified to change one’s mind.

Buyer needs to be very sure of purchase or needs a bit of consolation that seller isn’t gonna point and laugh right after money handed over.

I get it. Each buyer is different. I try to accommodate and make the experience the best it can be for them; after all they’re also buying a tiny bit of your story with the sale.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Why are you wasting time with talkers? Make me an offer or fuck off. This is the biggest sellers market in history, no need to coddle buyers.

This guy is spot on, dead nuts, accurate about the pinball market right now. Whatever you are selling it for, sell it for more. Lol.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Same. Don’t get it at all. You either want the game or not but it’s not so cut and dry for many it seems

I've almost always bought the pin I've contacted a seller about. One time I backed out because I found out my dog had cancer and I was stressed and didn't know what was going to happen. Any pin funds at that point were going to try to save my dog. Shit happens

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Here’s what we get sometimes. Funny how anal some folks are
    [quoted image]

What machine was this? Dying to know.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A good portion of my transactions have a tendency to end up taking a couple hours longer than they should for no other reason than the other person is stoked to talk about pinball.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nah, most folks seem pleased to chat about a common interest whichever way the transaction is going.

Seems the minimum time for any transaction is one hour, even if the pin is ready to go in the garage with an easy load and you need to be somewhere. I might have had one or two "lets get the pin and get the hell out of here" but mostly I enjoy meeting with someone, maybe learning a little bit of the history of the pin, sharing a common interest with someone that I don't have to explain the difference of an em and a SS.

#56 2 years ago

I don’t have any problem taking extra pictures or explaining additional details to a serious buyer when working in a deal. But there’s a big difference to someone asking legit questions and someone wasting time.

My favorite buyers are the ones who seem confused and ask which ad you’re talking about, but then proceed to lowball while trying to sweet talk you via email. Wtf, it’s like some guys are just on marketplace fishing for deals on anything.

#57 2 years ago

I had a TAFG for sale once. Two guys show up to look at the game. They took one look at it and then just started playing all my games! After half an hour I had to run them off. They weren't even tire kickers. I should have let them play for another half hour, then hit em up for twenty bucks each!

#58 2 years ago

Haven't encountered any of the buyers in your area I guess. I list something for sale and I get serious potential buyers. Of course I get the lowball offers, but those just get deleted and not replied to. The people who ask, "what's your best price?", get replied with "Make an offer and find out."

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I am a "no hassle" type of guy, but I can't promise I won't talk pinball. I love pinball. I eat, breath, and sleep pinball. If I am buying or selling...we will likely be swapping stories. Sorry, not sorry.

Ya, talking some never hurts…last game I sold, after it was loaded up, the guy asked me what my favorite game owned was, I said Ngg, then he said he had one too many years ago from a trade, then I said wait, did you trade a CP for it, then he got quiet…eyes got wide and we both exploded into laughter that it was us who made that trade some 17 years ago

#60 2 years ago

I just don't sell games. Makes it easier that way.

#61 2 years ago

These are great stories that all could have ended early with no reply or a simple “No”.
    No is an answer.
    No is a complete sentence.

I personally enjoy chatting pinball and usually deal with similar people. I’ve had a lot of success buying and selling pins. In my view, the seller sets the price, the payment form and terms of pickup/delivery. If the buyer negotiates something that is agreeable, that’s fine with me.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’m just confused about why anyone would be a tire kicker? I think I’ve bought every game I’ve ever messaged someone about and can’t imagine wasting someone’s time when I wasn’t a legit buyer.

Spending several thousand dollars on a toy is still a big deal to most people, especially non pinheads.

I remember holding the cashiers check for the first NIB game I ever bought and almost changing my mind - damn that was a big number when I saw it in black and white! More than I'd paid for most of the cars in my life.

#63 2 years ago

Having gone through the ringer with Craigslist and Facebook, selling almost ANYTHING is a fricking nightmare any more. Facebook makes it so easy to just pop “available?” Into a message, then it’s like 15 clicks to actually check. I don’t even respond unless they write a genuine statement or question. And as with most things, if the buyer has no clue, they think pinballs and video games should be $100-200, certainly no more than $500. Wasted 2 weeks of my life on that, never again. There are no deals, at least for the time being, and I’d rather deal with a Pinsider who at least has their head in the game.

Seriously thinking about just liquidating and getting back in some day later on.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

These are great stories that all could have ended early with no reply or a simple “No”.
    No is an answer.
    No is a complete sentence.

I agree 100%. Of course, they'll think you're a horribly rude asshole for being so direct and honest. "Oh the humanity!"

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from jake35:

ACDC

#66 2 years ago

Can you legally tazer people who ask about shooter lane wear or playfield dimpling? I may move.

#67 2 years ago

I'm kinda surprised how impatient and put out a lot of folks seem to be when selling a game.

The expectation that someone buying a used game should just make an offer or shut up is ridiculous. It's a two way street. Buyer wants to get a sense of the seller.

There is also a difference in buying / selling an unrestored older game vs an overpriced newer game.

You are selling yourself as much as you are selling the game so that a buyer feels comfortable. He's the one handing over the cash.

Getting irritated and impatient with questions or requests for pics is a sign of a lousy seller.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Sold a game yesterday.
    Buyer was great to deal with, and we were both (I think) very happy with the transaction.
    YMMV

I was that guy and yes, it was a smooth easy awesome transaction. all depends on the person buying and selling. if you want the game and see the value in it, buy it. don't be a douche

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I get that. Sometimes you wanna talk and other times you wanna sell a game and just get back to watching the Price Is Right. I don't wanna make a new friend every time I sell a pinball game.

The last pin I sold, the guy and his wife stuck around on the deck and had a couple of beers. My son stopped by and later asked me , why I'm having a couple of beers with someone that I don't know just because I sold a pin. The couple were good people and we had something in common. I haven't seen them since the sale..It doesn't mean you open yourself to a lifetime friendship...it's just a appreciation of the hobby..and those who are a part of it...get a life.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

[quoted image]

Hmmm. So it is my responsibility to cover everyone else's financial shortfall when it comes to them prioritizing the purchase of a luxury item from me? So much wrong about this, it's not worth the effort detailing it all.

On the other hand, I'm going to the Lamborghini dealership today to inform them they must provide me with a same year model Aventador for an even exchange with my 370Z (after all, they are both sports cars), and if they refuse then I'll guilt them into it by letting them know they are crushing the dreams of my son - those greedy, heartless, capitalists pigs.

As it relates to my personal experience, I've purchased three used pins for myself and sold one (one via Craigslist and the others via Pinside). In every case the experience was positive. Most of the details were worked out in advance over the phone, the pricing was agreed upon pending in-person inspection, and in my situation (buying or selling) help was provided loading the pin into the transport vehicle.

#72 2 years ago

When picking up a machine (or getting one picked up), I usually end up having a conversation with buyer/seller as everybody involved in this hobby tends to be passionate about it.

Some of the conversations are shorter than others, as you may or may not have enough in common, or your passion levels aren't the same . Most people are respectful enough to figure it out. If not, a polite exit works.

Just like in everything else, there are people that are nice, those that are "all business", and those that are jerks.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Seriously thinking about just liquidating and getting back in some day

Best I can do is $2200. You're too far away, have to rent a truck, pay for gas. I'm really doing you a favor clearing that space and helping you save on your electric bill. Can you have them loaded in 30 min while I have a beer when I get there?

#74 2 years ago

I offer anyone who buys a game a beer and to chat/play for a bit. I don’t sell enough that this becomes burdensome. I have met some nice people doing this (buying and selling). I don’t particularly enjoy negotiating but if you are prepared with your sale add then it will makes things easier.

Sometimes, the seller could even make things easier with better pictures and answers to commonly asked questions all ready answered in the add. It isn’t like the usual questions ever change. Also, this hobby is filled with sharks (as well as good peeps) so it is wise to ask questions, no? Any of us ever bought a misrepresented pin? So I ask questions when buying and expect to answer when selling and while I agree that it is a sellers market, I try my best to be friendly and answer. This is a huge outlay of money especially for Newbs and many people need to be comfortable with it. However, I simply don’t respond to continued tire kicking and unreasonable requests.

Why are you selling is a common question (especially if you sell it quickly after buying it). Just have it answered in your add. Has anybody ever answered with, “I am selling it because I discovered that it is a POS basket case for which I overpaid and want my money back plus money for time invested to discover this”?

It is easy to sell right now but I like to keep the conversation positive because you never know when the person you are dealing with might have something you are looking for in the future. Small community. Also it is a hobby so I try to keep it fun and not let the idiots ruin it.

#77 2 years ago

When I started buying pins and a seller would offer to let me try other games while i was there I would sometimes play a couple balls but wasnt sure if I was staying too long and wearing out my welcome.Now I feel maybe starting a game and not finishing it is rude on my part.Now I really appreciate someone offering to share with me.All bidding aside.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:Best I can do is $2200. You're too far away, have to rent a truck, pay for gas. I'm really doing you a favor clearing that space and helping you save on your electric bill. Can you have them loaded in 30 min while I have a beer when I get there?

Haha, at least you didn't write "Still Available?" ask me if I can knock off $500 off the price if you help me load the game into your truck

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

[quoted image]

This also reminds me of all those home shows my wife watches. She loves it when potential buyers write personal letters about their lives and why they want to buy the house. I mentioned once that I thought that was silly. I don't need to read a letter to choose the buyer of my house. Rather, all I need is to sort the offers from largest to smallest and choose whichever one comes out at the top of the list. Whatever their story is, this is the one that touches my heart the most.

I must be a callous dream crusher for thinking this way - good thing I don't care what strangers think about me.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

I had a TAFG for sale once. Two guys show up to look at the game. They took one look at it and then just started playing all my games! After half an hour I had to run them off.

Best have the game for sale somewhere else. And any other pins turned off.

LTG : )

#81 2 years ago

I don't know these people and with games changing hands for big $ these days. It is setup in the garage and the price will never go lower. If your annoying I wont sell to you. You knew the price tag before you showed up.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I'm kinda surprised how impatient and put out a lot of folks seem to be when selling a game.
    The expectation that someone buying a used game should just make an offer or shut up is ridiculous. It's a two way street. Buyer wants to get a sense of the seller.
    There is also a difference in buying / selling an unrestored older game vs an overpriced newer game.
    You are selling yourself as much as you are selling the game so that a buyer feels comfortable. He's the one handing over the cash.
    Getting irritated and impatient with questions or requests for pics is a sign of a lousy seller.

Maybe in a buyers market but if someone is acting like a pain, I just say no deal and then another buyer will come along with cash. It's that easy. Some people are overly anal and I rather not deal with them. Just a personal choice. If you ask for a million pics it just means you're most likely a complete pain in the ass. If someone asks for a video of the game playing and all aspects it's an instant pass for me.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Maybe in a buyers market but if someone is acting like a pain, I just say no deal and then another buyer will come along with cash. It's that easy. Some people are overly anal and I rather not deal with them. Just a personal choice. If you ask for a million pics it just means you're most likely a complete pain in the ass. If someone asks for a video of the game playing and all aspects it's an instant pass for me.

Obviously you go with the easiest transaction if you have multiple interest.

My point is that a certain amount of tolerance is required when selling a game.

A lot of these comments sound like people have little understanding of the public.

It's not too reassuring if a seller is too inconvenienced to answer questions or send pics because they think it's a pain.

#84 2 years ago

I was selling a game a few weeks ago and had this exchange with someone:

"My wife just passed in October of last year and really shouldn't buy another game but swore I would get another xxx if I could afford it and ironically my budget is exactly 3200 for my next game."

No idea WTF his wife dying has to do with my pinball. But I just wanted the project out of my workshop, so I agreed. He's ecstatic and said he'll let me know when he can come get it....only a few hours away.

Didn't hear from him for a week after that. I didn't message asking if he still wants it because if he can't be courteous to me, why would I respond in kind? I sold it to someone else for 3600. Fuck that guy and making me waste a week with the game still in my workshop.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Obviously you go with the easiest transaction if you have multiple interest.
    My point is that a certain amount of tolerance is required when selling a game.
    A lot of these comments sound like people have little understanding of the public.
    It's not too reassuring if a seller is too inconvenienced to answer questions or send pics because they think it's a pain.

It really depends on the market. Right now it's so hot you don't have to have tolerance. It can be a lot of work selling a game and taking pictures and describing it etc. I want the buyer to feel comfortable but asking tons of questions and requesting tons of pics and vids typically is a red flag to me. I want them to come check out the game and make sure they're ok with it and I will be very patient during that process. I just don't care for buyers that have unrealistic expectations as it just leads down a path of the deal falling thru or the buyer not being happy because their idea of nice doesn't match yours.

If the game I'm selling is 20 miles away and a buyer wants more pictures I will comply when I plan on making the trip the next time. If someone else comes along and says they will take the game with the pictures presented I will give the option to the original buyer to take it as is but will gladly sell to the other buyer. Why would I bend over backwards to accommodate a more needy buyer?

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from jake35:

Of all the games to make the kids' "best christmas ever" lmaooo

As someone who has had THE BEST time playing pinball with my kids, I know the kids do genuinely enjoy it, but what they're really enjoying is our time together engaging in a fun, shared activity. It wouldn't have to be pinball. It could be almost anything. The ACDC was 100% about what that dad wanted, not the kids, what a tool!

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

This also reminds me of all those home shows my wife watches. She loves it when potential buyers write personal letters about their lives and why they want to buy the house. I mentioned once that I thought that was silly. I don't need to read a letter to choose the buyer of my house. Rather, all I need is to sort the offers from largest to smallest and choose whichever one comes out at the top of the list. Whatever their story is, this is the one that touches my heart the most.
    I must be a callous dream crusher for thinking this way - good thing I don't care what strangers think about me.

Quoted from PoMC:

I was selling a game a few weeks ago and had this exchange with someone:
    "My wife just passed in October of last year and really shouldn't buy another game but swore I would get another xxx if I could afford it and ironically my budget is exactly 3200 for my next game."
    No idea WTF his wife dying has to do with my pinball. But I just wanted the project out of my workshop, so I agreed. He's ecstatic and said he'll let me know when he can come get it....only a few hours away.
    Didn't hear from him for a week after that. I didn't message asking if he still wants it because if he can't be courteous to me, why would I respond in kind? I sold it to someone else for 3600. Fuck that guy and making me waste a week with the game still in my workshop.

I've seen the story + buy & flip tactic happen so many times. Unfortunately, it's a tactic that works.

Anytime someone tries to tell me a story to lower the price, I just plug my ears until I hear a price I like. The story is irrelevant to the price I want and I won't be swayed by it.

#88 2 years ago

Reading this thread, I gotta say I feel really lucky about the Whirlwind I bought just under two weeks ago. It was my first purchase, aside from $150 I spent to buy an EM project. I was nervous, but I didn't hassle the seller with a bunch of questions. However, my constraint was that I didn't have room in my schedule to go pay and pick up the pin for the better part of a week. In the intervening time, the seller got several offers of a couple hundred over the asking price, but he held onto it for me until the day we had agreed on. I would have done the same, but I wouldn't have been surprised, or even blamed him honestly, if he hadn't. I mean, craigslist is full of time-wasters, so the fact he held his game for almost a week, with no more assurance than a craigslist email... like I said, I feel lucky!

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

but he held onto it for me until the day we had agreed on.

at least you didn't back out on the later date you agreed on. Then, the seller would have lost those 2 higher price offers AND you backed out. So, he's back to square 1. It happens all the time which is why many sellers won't "hold" a game... even with a deposit. "Sorry my wife said I can't buy it. I know it's been 6 days but can I get my deposit back?"

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

Reading this thread, I gotta say I feel really lucky about the Whirlwind I bought just under two weeks ago. It was my first purchase, aside from $150 I spent to buy an EM project. I was nervous, but I didn't hassle the seller with a bunch of questions. However, my constraint was that I didn't have room in my schedule to go pay and pick up the pin for the better part of a week. In the intervening time, the seller got several offers of a couple hundred over the asking price, but he held onto it for me until the day we had agreed on. I would have done the same, but I wouldn't have been surprised, or even blamed him honestly, if he hadn't. I mean, craigslist is full of time-wasters, so the fact he held his game for almost a week, with no more assurance than a craigslist email... like I said, I feel lucky!

I know I've left some money on the table before, but I've done similar and had similar done to me. If I set a price and have a verbal agreement with some conditions (e.g. time, payment method, etc.) then that is what I stick with even if someone else offers more. Not going to judge others for doing things differently, but I think this is the best way to treat people.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Best I can do is $2200. You're so far away. I'll have to rent a truck and pay for gas. Can you loaded it in 30 minutes when I get there while I have a beer?

Do you do all that for the customer when you sell a game? Can I buy from you?

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I know I've left some money on the table before, but I've done similar and had similar done to me. If I set a price and have a verbal agreement with some conditions (e.g. time, payment method, etc.) then that is what I stick with even if someone else offers more. Not going to judge others for doing things differently, but I think this is the best way to treat people.

I’m the same way, but admittedly got burned once. A guy offered me more and I told him no, that it was already sold and was being picked up by another buyer on the weekend. The first buyer then backed out. I contacted the second guy and offered the game to him at the same lower price agreed upon by the first buyer and he thought I was playing some shady game with him which made no sense since I was offering the game to him at a lower price than he was willing to pay. The second buyer was willing to overpay for a game in order to screw over an earlier buyer, but once he heard the other guy didn’t want the game, he lost complete interest in it. WTF?

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

It really depends on the market. Right now it's so hot you don't have to have tolerance. It can be a lot of work selling a game and taking pictures and describing it etc. I want the buyer to feel comfortable but asking tons of questions and requesting tons of pics and vids typically is a red flag to me. I want them to come check out the game and make sure they're ok with it and I will be very patient during that process. I just don't care for buyers that have unrealistic expectations as it just leads down a path of the deal falling thru or the buyer not being happy because their idea of nice doesn't match yours.
    If the game I'm selling is 20 miles away and a buyer wants more pictures I will comply when I plan on making the trip the next time. If someone else comes along and says they will take the game with the pictures presented I will give the option to the original buyer to take it as is but will gladly sell to the other buyer. Why would I bend over backwards to accommodate a more needy buyer?

Totally agree. The picture collectors and "check with the wife" people never come buy anything. If you're serious you'll send a deposit or come see the game in person. I have no problem with window shoppers but do it on your own time. With demand the way it is now I haven't had a problem selling/trading anything with minimal back and forth. If you're not interested enough to come check it out, you're not interested enough to buy it.

#94 2 years ago

I personally can’t stand selling a pinball machine but I only ever tried about 20 years ago (and failed because no one wanted to buy my super nice IJ back then for the typical price).

It’s big, bulky, heavy and made of a million pieces that can fail, one wrong move and the cabinet gets scratched or chipped.

Just a headache dealing with potential buyers.

Fast forward to 2022: WTF? These are now $10k+ items??? So now you have to deal with people who rightfully expect a flawless machine given the massive amount of money involved and then you have to be comfortable dealing with total strangers and $10k, $15k or more?

No thank you. I don’t want to end up on an Oprah episode about pinball murders.

I’ll keep my machines. While I would never buy them now for the going rate, the potential cash from a sale seems attractive. Selling them would be way too much hassle. And I do like playing or looking at them.

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

I personally can’t stand selling a pinball machine but I only ever tried about 20 years ago (and failed because no one wanted to buy my super nice IJ back then for the typical price).
    It’s big, bulky, heavy and made of a million pieces that can fail, one wrong move and the cabinet gets scratched or chipped.
    Just a headache dealing with potential buyers.
    Fast forward to 2022: WTF? These are now $10k+ items??? So now you have to deal with people who rightfully expect a flawless machine given the massive amount of money involved and then you have to be comfortable dealing with total strangers and $10k, $15k or more?
    I’ll keep my machines. While I would never buy them now for the going rate, the potential cash from a sale seems attractive. Selling them would be way too much hassle. And I do like playing or looking at them.

If it makes you more comfortable, I will buy your IJ for 500 bucks so you won't have to worry about the massive amount of money involved, and I'll even move it too!

#96 2 years ago

I’ve never sold a pinball machine, but have sold a few collectible cars.
    As soon as the putz mentions his wife, I know that we will never speak again and I’m left to wonder why he wanted to waste my time.

#97 2 years ago

If you are selling a used game to a serious buyer, someone who really likes pinball or is familiar with the hobby, it is usually low stress. Occasionally I get someone who thinks they are a pricing authority and tries to "pin-splain" why my price should be lower without actually making a cash offer (this is the type of person who usually doesn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, but likes wasting other people's time). Then I move on to the next buyer and in this market you will usually get your asking price. Occasionally I'll knock a few hundred off the price if the person is easy to deal with or a friend.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

oprah pinball murder (resized).jpegoprah pinball murder (resized).jpeg
    #99 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've seen the story + buy & flip tactic happen so many times. Unfortunately, it's a tactic that works.
    Anytime someone tries to tell me a story to lower the price, I just plug my ears until I hear a price I like. The story is irrelevant to the price I want and I won't be swayed by it.

And most people call that greed which is a similar tactic. Like how dare you sell something for market value and not give it away.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

I don’t want to end up on an Oprah episode about pinball murders.

I must have missed that episode of Oprah. When did it air? Is it available on Tubi?

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-a-used-pinball-game/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.