Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Selling a used pinball is fun”

• No, it's not 47 votes
      45%
    • Yes, I love it 21 votes
      20%
    • Who cares? 36 votes
      35%

(104 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oprah pinball murder (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    Screenshot_20220313-155651_Chrome (resized).jpg
    2A3257BE-FD60-4B03-BE0E-7055C57E53B9 (resized).jpeg
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

Are pinball people the most wishy-washy buyers in any hobby or is that just my observation? It's like buyers want me to talk them into buying my game over the course of 5-7 days of back and forth and back and forth messages.

You've only owned it for 7 months. Why are you selling so quickly?
    Even though your ad says FIRM Will you accept $_________ ?
    What did you like about it.
    What did you not like about it.
    It's a toss up between 2 games. Why is yours better than ________ pinball game?
    Can you find a pallet, rent a trailer with a ramp, buy a pallet jack, pack the game really, really, really well and take it to a freighter for me (for free)? I use XYZ freighters. You'll have to look and see if there's one near you... ok?
    Can I put a deposit to hold it until whenever I get ready to buy? What if I my wife says no next wekk, can I get the deposit back?
    Can you wait until next Tuesday for me to wire the funds. I'll need your checking acct number and routing number.

Buying or selling a pinball game shouldn't be difficult. You see the game for sale and decide you want it. Look at the pics. Ask a few questions, move money around if you need to pay electronically or go to the bank and get cash. Call Michelle at STi/Beltmann and set up the shipping OR take the seats our of your minivan and make a road trip.

#2 2 years ago

“Your ad has been up for 3 days now, so your price is obviously too high. So are you ready to accept my lowball offer?”

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Are pinball people the most wishy-washy buyers in any hobby or is that just my observation? It's like buyers want me to talk them into buying my game over the course of 5-7 days of back and forth and back and forth messages.
    It's a toss up between 2 games. Why is yours better than _______ pinball game?
    Can you find a pallet, rent a trailer with a ramp, buy a pallet jack, pack the game really, really, really well and take it to a freighter for me (for free)? I use XYZ freighters. You'll have to look and see if there's one near you... ok?
    Can I put a deposit to hold it until whenever I get ready to buy? What if I my wife says no next wekk, can I get the deposit back?
    Can you wait until next Tuesday for me to wire the funds. I'll need your checking acct number and routing number.
    Buying or selling a pinball game shouldn't be difficult. You see the game for sale and decide you want it. Look at the pics. Ask a few questions, move money around if you need to pay electronically or go to the bank and get cash. Call Michelle at STi/Beltmann and set up the shipping OR take the seats our of your minivan and make a road trip.

I seem to never have this experience, but i avoid FB marketplace, craigslist etc. Prefer to deal with reputable Pinsiders. I’ve been lowballed before sure but those convos end quickly. Never been asked why i was selling but the short answer would be “because i want your money more than i want this game” haha.

#4 2 years ago

Selling pinball machines is the easiest thing ever. If I don’t like the terms of the first buyer, I go down the massive list until I get to the guy with no conditions who comes with a truck, breaks it down himself and leaves without much chatter.

#5 2 years ago

Those are first time buyers. I only list on pinside. Every transaction I’ve done has been painless. Just price it right and be cool as a seller and you are good.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

I seem to never have this experience, but i avoid FB marketplace, craigslist etc. Prefer to deal with reputable Pinsiders. I’ve been lowballed before sure but those convos end quickly. Never been asked why i was selling but the short answer would be “because i want your money more than i want this game” haha.

I'm speaking of just my experience of selling on pinside... not FB or CL. I actually find FB and CL to be better since they are almost always local people and not tire kickers from 8 states away.

#7 2 years ago

Why are you wasting time with talkers? Make me an offer or fuck off. This is the biggest sellers market in history, no need to coddle buyers.

#8 2 years ago

Will you take half,I can get it cheaper at auction.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I'm speaking of just my experience of selling on pinside... not FB or CL. I actually find FB and CL to be better since they are almost always local people and not tire kickers from 8 states away.

You are pretty spot on... pinball buyers are super annoying.

I once had a guy come over with a flashlight and go over the game for a hour before passing on it for some arbitrary bullshit cosmetic reason. This mind you was a game that was about 30 years old at the time and un-restored.

I got to the point I would only deal with people i knew... but these days if you are looking to squeeze the most $$ out of your transaction be prepared to deal with every tire kicker/low baller and other moron out there.

#10 2 years ago

Sounds like your price is too high and are only attracting tire kickers. Never had a problem like you describe since I price to sell.

#11 2 years ago

Here’s what we get sometimes. Funny how anal some folks are

2A3257BE-FD60-4B03-BE0E-7055C57E53B9 (resized).jpeg2A3257BE-FD60-4B03-BE0E-7055C57E53B9 (resized).jpeg
    #12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

[quoted image]

What a douche flute

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

[quoted image]

Wow, that’s pretty pathetic.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

It's like buyers want me to talk them into buying my game over the course of 5-7 days of back and forth

This is on you. If they haven't made arrangements to pay for and pick up the game by the second message day one you are just wasting your time.

#15 2 years ago

Op, you have nerve!!!!

#16 2 years ago

Those idiots are out there ...I had a guy want to lowball me because he said he would have to rent a truck to come pick up the pin so he wanted to take 250 off the price ...I said no then he said he would give full price if I delivered it ....I said no ..told him the first one to come and pick it up wins ....sold it to another normal buyer ....then the stupid sob had the balls to msg me and ask what I sold it for.....that is Facebook for you ....

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Op, you have nerve!!!!

How so?

#19 2 years ago

Ohhh are you the guy who had the 40th elvira on CL for some crazy amount... $32k I think it was?! Yea, I kicked those tires for a bit via email until I realized you weren't interested in a fair offer or trade. I mentioned there were 3 or 4 other NIB elvira 40's on pinside for $1000's less. A seller can't be upset when someone kicks the tires of a grossly overpriced game. Sellers set themselves up for that with the high price.

If a game is priced right, there's no need to go back and forth for a week about a sale.

#20 2 years ago

Take your Kobe NBA, and your expert assessment, of my CL ads(game sold for asking price off of CL) and F yourself! YOU went back and back snarkily telling me that the 0% CC offer that I purchased the machine with, was about to expire, so I better sell to you, or I would regret my purchase... You are not only a cockasaurous rex, you are a limp, cockasaurous rex! Your speculation that the purchase was made on a CC, was about as lame and inaccurate, as your assessment of the pricing in general! You sure your last name is not Grizzard? What a tool!

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Take your Kobe NBA, and your expert assessment, of my CL ads(game sold for asking price off of CL) and F yourself! YOU went back and back snarkily telling me that the 0% CC offer that I purchased the machine with, was about to expire, so I better sell to you, or I would regret my purchase... You are not only a cockasaurous rex, you are a limp, cockasaurous rex! Your speculation that the purchase was made on a CC, was about as lame and inaccurate, as your assessment of the pricing in general! You sure your last name is not Grizzard? What a tool!

I don't know you from a hole in the wall. I see you're somewhat local though. I'm glad you sold your 40th elvira.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Will you take half,I can get it cheaper at auction.

As soon as something like that happens, the price doubles.

#23 2 years ago

Insert popcorn meme

#24 2 years ago

What ever happened to Tom Grizzard? Should of saved the emails we exchanged years ago, quite entertaining.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

[quoted image]

Get your emotional passport ready, cause you're going on a guilt trip!!!

What a lame ass way to try to make you feel badly for selling a game at market value. "When children are involved..." GTFO of here with that.

#26 2 years ago

I’ve had more issues with sellers than buyers frankly.

#27 2 years ago

My favorite is when I have a buyer whittle me down on price over messages then show up and try to get me to knock another ten percent off. I ended the sale right there the few times it happened.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Ohhh are you the guy who had the 40th elvira on CL for some crazy amount... $32k I think it was?! Yea, I kicked those tires for a bit via email until I realized you weren't interested in a fair offer or trade. I mentioned there were 3 or 4 other NIB elvira 40's on pinside for $1000's less. A seller can't be upset when someone kicks the tires of a grossly overpriced game. Sellers set themselves up for that with the high price.
    If a game is priced right, there's no need to go back and forth for a week about a sale.

You are funny. I will not post them but I should, because you are not only way off on the truth about the content of YOUR email solicitations, but the only reason they went on for 2 days(not a week but why let facts get in the way of a good fantasy), is because my first cordial reply that I would not take your offer, was met with YOUR CONTINUED EXPERTISE ABOUT HOW I NEEDED TO TAKE YOUR OFFER OR I WOULD BE DOOMED!

#30 2 years ago

Tell you what, heres a screenshot of the CL ad, to show your "accuracy" on details there. I need not go any further, since you crying to mods, already got me moderated in this thread! LOL...You have no clue of what you even said in the exchange, based on the inaccuracy, of your "facts" so far!

Screenshot_20220313-155651_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220313-155651_Chrome (resized).jpg

#31 2 years ago

If you can remember who had one for 32k, I shudder to think the abuse they got, based on your belligerent exchange with me!

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

You can counter with. " The only reason I'm selling my favorite pin is because a family member is facing dire consequences with health costs and may lose their house.

I'm sorry your kids won't have a nice Christmas. But maybe you could talk to them and in the spirit of Christmas contribute any money you were going to spend on Christmas and send to me so I can forward it to my relative. After all this will likely be their last Christmas and it would be nice to relieve some of their burden and worries.

I know you are a caring and generous individual and will help all you can.

Bless you and yours",
    LTG : )

#33 2 years ago

I try to remember that this is a hobby. If I’m getting stressed about it I’m doing it wrong.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

I try to remember that this is a hobby. If I’m getting stressed about it I’m doing it wrong.

I go by my golden rule. Anything worth doing is worth having fun.

Someone tries something wrong or crazy, they unleashed the kraken. Game on.

LTG : )

#35 2 years ago

I am a "no hassle" type of guy, but I can't promise I won't talk pinball. I love pinball. I eat, breath, and sleep pinball. If I am buying or selling...we will likely be swapping stories. Sorry, not sorry.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Get your emotional passport ready, cause you're going on a guilt trip!!!
    What a lame ass way to try to make you feel badly for selling a game at market value. "When children are involved..." GTFO of here with that.

Yeah, that guy pulled out ALL the stops and covered all the bases!

Kids, xmas, greed, low income, then wishing happy holidays at the end.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jack8765:

Insert popcorn meme

10-4

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I am a "no hassle" type of guy, but I can't promise I won't talk pinball. I love pinball. I eat, breath, and sleep pinball. If I am buying or selling...we will likely be swapping stories. Sorry, not sorry.

A good portion of my transactions have a tendency to end up taking a couple hours longer than they should for no other reason than the other person is stoked to talk about pinball.

#39 2 years ago

Candidly, if buyers are asking that many questions via email or text, it’s easy to move on and find a buyer that’s easy to deal with. It’s only when I’m asking top dollar and pushing the market that I get buyers asking a lot anyway. Other times when I want to move it and price as such…very easy. It’s a sellers market unless you’re (the royal “you” / me ) asking at the high end.

The worst is when a buyer says he’ll take it, you provide detailed commentary and 40 pictures and a video as you don’t want any surprises, agrees on price, then they show up and want to haggle “just because”. Nope. I’m sorry you drove here.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

If you think pinball people are wishy washers, I can tell you have never sold a Neo Geo cart or a collectible car !

#41 2 years ago

Sold a game yesterday.
    Buyer was great to deal with, and we were both (I think) very happy with the transaction.
    YMMV

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A good portion of my transactions have a tendency to end up taking a couple hours longer than they should for no other reason than the other person is stoked to talk about pinball.

I get that. Sometimes you wanna talk and other times you wanna sell a game and just get back to watching the Price Is Right. I don't wanna make a new friend every time I sell a pinball game.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Your sellers are probably cringing inside but out of niceness and having just made a profit, they're obligingly chatting up a storm with you. A buyer has to read the room.

Nah, most folks seem pleased to chat about a common interest whichever way the transaction is going.

It's not too difficult to tell the difference between someone who shows interest and wants to chat for a bit and someone who doesn't. Sure, some people just want to finish the transaction an get on with their day, but I'm happy to accommodate whichever approach the other person wants to take.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

This is why I buy NIB whenever possible and hold onto games for a long time before selling locally.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I get that. Sometimes you wanna talk and other times you wanna sell a game and just get back to watching the Price Is Right. I don't wanna make a new friend every time I sell a pinball game. I don't wanna stand around while you spend 35 mins putting 8 ratchet straps on the pinball game in my driveway.
    Your sellers are probably cringing inside but out of niceness and having just made a profit, they're obligingly chatting up a storm with you. A buyer has to read the room.

Well yeah no doubt read the room. Much to my teenage kids chagrin I can, and will, strike up a 10 minute conversation with any rando person at any time. But if I’m getting the “give me the money and gtfo vibe” that game will be out the door and I’ll be on my way in 5 minutes. But as a seller, I agree that the “why are you selling it?”, “I’ll take it but it’s gonna take me a week to get the money together”, “my wife…”, blah blah blah gets so old. Dealing with no nonsense “here’s a deposit, I’m on way” or repeat customers will always get my best price and my help hauling it out of the basement.

#46 2 years ago

I bought 2 games recently from an atlanta operator (“my parents basement”), and made the 2 hr drive down and picked them up in person. He was a super nice guy and when he was in my area with another pinhead picking up a machine in my area, i had them over to see and collection for a couple hrs before they headed home.

Ive made more friends sincejoining this hobby. I think most of us are nice guys and we all have pinball in common! Dont let the few oddballs ruin it for you.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from jake35:

I bought 2 games recently from an atlanta operator (“my parents basement”), and made the 2 hr drive down and picked them up in person. He was a super nice guy and when he was in my area with another pinhead picking up a machine in my area, i had them over to see and collection for a couple hrs before they headed home.
    Ive made more friends sincejoining this hobby. I think most of us are nice guys and we all have pinball in common! Dont let the few oddballs ruin it for you.

Oh totally. I’ve made many friends buying/selling games and always offer that if they’re ever in my area to message me and stop by to flip at any time. I also message guys before I’m listing games to see if they want them if I think it’s something they’d want or like, especially their old game. I’ve sold/traded a few games back to the people that I got it from

#48 2 years ago

Anyone who knows me knows I love to talk but on the "flip side" I hate wasting time. So I quickly filter out buyers from tire kickers and quickly pass over the tire kickers. Typically when selling a machine I find you get about 6 to 8 tire kickers before you find a buyer. What never made a lot of sense to me is why tire kickers waste their time or yours?

Once in a while something sells quick enough you don't have to deal with the "tire kickers" but normally that is part of selling so I just accept it. I think the key is to get good at figuring out who the buyers are and who is wasting your time.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Anyone who knows me knows I love to talk but on the "flip side" I hate wasting time. So I quickly filter out buyers from tire kickers and quickly pass over the tire kickers. Typically when selling a machine I find you get about 6 to 8 tire kickers before you find a buyer. What never made a lot of sense to me is why tire kickers waste their time or yours?
    Once in a while something sells quick enough you don't have to deal with the "tire kickers" but normally that is part of selling so I just accept it. I think the key is to get good at figuring out who the buyers are and who is wasting your time.

I’m just confused about why anyone would be a tire kicker? I think I’ve bought every game I’ve ever messaged someone about and can’t imagine wasting someone’s time when I wasn’t a legit buyer.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’m just confused about why anyone would be a tire kicker? I think I’ve bought every game I’ve ever messaged someone about and can’t imagine wasting someone’s time when I wasn’t a legit buyer.

Same. Don’t get it at all. You either want the game or not but it’s not so cut and dry for many it seems

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-a-used-pinball-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.