5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jkleinnd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180923_174556 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Probably like many of you, the price and space requirements of pinball machines is, shall we say, prohibitive. I have my first machine which is an EM that I've brought back from the dead and it looks great (i.e. the artwork fits our "style"). We love the game, but now that we've worked our way up from EM to SS to 90's machines, we find it rarely gets played.

Since space is limited, for the foeseeable future I don't see us moving or being able to rearrange for a large collection. In addition, prices are really high for us, so it takes extra work and sacrifices to save for a machine.

I don't expect prices to stay as high as they are on EM machines, so if I were to sell it, I would have space and could put the money towards a newer machine. But there would be a hole where it was for a really long time, as the likelihood of finding a routed/players condition Creature from the Black Lagoon is very unlikely.

So would you sell while the market is hot, or enjoy what you have, even if it doesn't get played that often?

I hate sometimes that I get attached to things. I have every spare part to keep it going for generations, but what generation is going to want to play it once they've played a more modern game? (No offense to us EM aficionados!)

#2 5 years ago

I didn't think the market was up for EM's. Seem like most go for 400-700 range.

#3 5 years ago

Room is always an issue, as well as finances to say upgrade. It's not like you're selling the machine for quick cash to pay bills...so I say do some research on its condition and value and put it up for sale in multiple places for $250 more than what you want or need. That will either give you more than hoped or wiggle room to negotiate. GLWTS
    -Mike

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

I didn't think the market was up for EM's. Seem like most go for 400-700 range.

Lol, yeah, i feel like that's about as "hot" as the EM market will be!

#5 5 years ago

Wasn't trying to be rude. I have a 1964 Gottlieb Big Top (first 2 player add-a-ball for Gottlieb) that was my grandmother's. I got it working a few years ago. The paint is yellowed from its history in various bars before my grandfather (who I have no memory of) bought it for her. It still has carved letters and names from pocket knives. But, it means more to me than it's appearance. Thankfully the playfield and mechs are pristine and it works 100% But I like having the EM in my collection. What a difference it makes sitting next to the Hobbit! But, when kids come to the house, I put them on the Big Top first so they can figure pinball out. And you know what? They like it better because of the physical bells! Not to go long-winded (too late!), but one time when I sold a game, the buyer brought his 70 year old father with him. When he saw the Big Top he walked past everything else and wanted to play it. He started nudging it like crazy and the buyer was like, "Dad, stop it!" But he told his son to shut up because that is how we did it back in the day. Seeing that guy's face light up is still one of my favorite pinball memories...of course him ripping his son was pretty classic, too. Big Top is bolted to the floor for me...plus, it's too damn heavy to move anyway...lol.

20180923_174556 (resized).jpg20180923_174556 (resized).jpg
    #6 5 years ago

You'd be surprised. Players games change hands from time to time. Put an APB on a Players Creature and see what turns up

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

You'd be surprised. Players games change hands from time to time. Put an APB on a Players Creature and see what turns up

Thanks for the tip, I put the word out a awhile ago, but no leads (granted i was looking locally). The one my wife and I first played is still on route I think, so i was thinking of writing the operator a letter and saying when you're thinking of letting it go let me know.

Quoted from Crile1:

Wasn't trying to be rude. I have a 1964 Gottlieb Big Top (first 2 player add-a-ball for Gottlieb) that was my grandmother's. I got it working a few years ago. The paint is yellowed from its history in various bars before my grandfather (who I have no memory of) bought it for her. It still has carved letters and names from pocket knives. But, it means more to me than it's appearance. Thankfully the playfield and mechs are pristine and it works 100% But I like having the EM in my collection. What a difference it makes sitting next to the Hobbit! But, when kids come to the house, I put them on the Big Top first so they can figure pinball out. And you know what? They like it better because of the physical bells! .[quoted image]

Yeah, i do the same thing, but unfortunately it seems like we're not as social as we once were and most our company isn't into playing. But i totally get how you feel and love seeing people who have fond memories of EMs!

Maybe I'll just wait it out. If a Creature comes along and the space is needed I'll sell it then, and if the market tanks, I'll pack it up and save if for later or for a friend.

1 week later
    #8 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobwiley:

Probably like many of you, the price and space requirements of pinball machines is, shall we say, prohibitive. I have my first machine which is an EM that I've brought back from the dead and it looks great (i.e. the artwork fits our "style"). We love the game, but now that we've worked our way up from EM to SS to 90's machines, we find it rarely gets played.
    Since space is limited, for the foeseeable future I don't see us moving or being able to rearrange for a large collection. In addition, prices are really high for us, so it takes extra work and sacrifices to save for a machine.
    I don't expect prices to stay as high as they are on EM machines, so if I were to sell it, I would have space and could put the money towards a newer machine. But there would be a hole where it was for a really long time, as the likelihood of finding a routed/players condition Creature from the Black Lagoon is very unlikely.
    So would you sell while the market is hot, or enjoy what you have, even if it doesn't get played that often?
    I hate sometimes that I get attached to things. I have every spare part to keep it going for generations, but what generation is going to want to play it once they've played a more modern game? (No offense to us EM aficionados!)

What EM game?

#9 5 years ago

Fiesta by Playmatic. It's a really fun game, quick and easy to learn. My friends and family vote to keep it, my wife votes for it to go (but i think its because she currently has the high score and doesn't want to give me the opportunity to beat it!).

#10 5 years ago

I'm not sure how hot the market really is. "Fake" market.
    Alot of people asking for high prices, but I don't see the sales.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-a-sentimental-machine-while-the-market-is-hot- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.