Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by timab2000
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190408_182357 (resized).jpg
    20190408_182430 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190408-141922_Messenger (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

OK I got a question for everyone... when selling a game on pinside, or anywhere for that matter, what are some of the do's and don't as far as listing the ad?

Some of you know that I get a little frustrated about the word "Restored" being used for a game that has been clearly drugged down a dirt road, so you will never see that word in any ad that I post, however I am thinking about selling one or two of my games.

So any advice in advance, would be greatly appreciated before I post something. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

"Do" whatever you want and "don't" get pissy if people price police or otherwise complain about your ad.

#3 5 years ago

Best advice I would give that is OFTEN missed in adds is LOTS of Clear detailed photos. I like yourself don't really care about the story or the personal assessment of what is being sold. I am not buying those! Lots of pictures and answer the questions honestly. Easy!

#4 5 years ago

Good photos of the cabinet, playfield, circuit boards, inside the cabinet, and under the playfield. Make sure that the playfield photos without the playfield glass. Also, sometimes photos of the playfield without the power on can help show the artwork better without the glare from the lights. Make sure the lens on your camera is clean and free of grime/grease.

Describe any significant issues, damage, or wear spots.

List any extras/mods (colorDMD, LEDOCD, mirror blades, etc) or replacement boards in the game (ie, rottendog).

Optional: List what you've done to the game (replaced flipper parts, new drop targets, new coil sleeves, new translite/backglass, touch-ups, etc)

That's about it.

#5 5 years ago

Well as far as the price thing goes, it hard when you look to see what the average price is listed here on Pinside for a game, and they really do not tell you how they arrived at that price.

Do people that sell their games here tell pinside the true price for what they sold the game for or is there a little fuging that takes place to raise the prices overall. If that makes sense.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Make sure the lens on your camera

Cell phone pictures are no good??

#7 5 years ago

Nothing wrong with the words restored, HUO or undocumented HUO.

#8 5 years ago

When it comes to pricing you'll know in about 30 seconds if you've priced the machine too high...

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Well as far as the price thing goes, it hard when you look to see what the average price is listed here on Pinside for a game, and they really do not tell you how they arrived at that price.
    Do people that sell their games here tell pinside the true price for what they sold the game for or is there a little fuging that takes place to raise the prices overall. If that makes sense.

I send the exact price I sold the game for when completing the sale on Pinside. Why would I want to pump the price if I just sold the game?

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

They are fine. Clean the lens first.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Nothing wrong with the words restored, HUO or undocumented HUO.

I won't be using any of those.

Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

When it comes to pricing you'll know in about 30 seconds if you've priced the machine too high...

Around here that for sure, kind of funny though

#12 5 years ago

So...
    what 'cha sellin' and
    where 'ya at?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

So...
    what 'cha sellin' and
    where 'ya at?

Haven't decided yet and south of you in Iowa

#14 5 years ago

You don't have to add a forum topic along with your add. In fact, I usually don't because you cannot control what may become of that thread and Pinside will not delete the thread, even if it turns negative. Now, some folks may say that all publicity is good publicity, but I've seen add forums become toxic. If you decide to price higher than what you will accept just to see if there are any takers, then I would recommend you do not add a forum thread to that add. If are pricing within market archive range or below, then you should be fine.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Cell phone is fine. Just not a Flip phone with 1kb images. Any newer cell phone from this era will take as good a photo as most any fancy camera. Just take Many. The add does not charge by the photo and it answers 99% of the questions you are going to get.

#16 5 years ago

I posted 54 pics of a Who Dunnit earlier in year. Im pretty sure with that many pics it told the whole story. There are 6 sides to a box, so cabinet and head can easily be 10-12 pics.
    Glws!

#17 5 years ago

just list it already, people are ready to bitch!

#18 5 years ago

Don't say price is FIRM makes you sound like a DICK.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

just list it already, people are ready to bitch!

I don't know I'm pretty thin skinned

#20 5 years ago

Both machines I've sold on pinside have been bought by first time pin buyers (an AFMrSE and WCS). Both told me that the deciding factor in purchasing my machine over another's was them feeling comfortable that I had disclosed everything that was wrong with the machines (not much), and was willing to answer questions.

I think that adding a youtube video walkthrough of the machine can also be a deciding factor for individuals. Here is an example of what I thought was a good ad (I'm biased) https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/74058

Remember that most people looking for machines are going to be browsing by new, and you will have a ton of interest in what you post in the first 24 hours, and then it will drop way down. When was the last time you looked at the 1 month old ads in your area.

Since you have a bunch of followers on this post you can always post a sanity check on pricing within this thread. If you don't know, you could PM others as well.

Good luck!

#21 5 years ago

Since I see this mistake made often (and I don't mean to single you out specifically):

It's supposed to be "ad", not "add".

Ad is short for advertisement.

Add is a verb; to join, unite, sum, combine, etc.

#22 5 years ago

People tend to get whiny if they feel it is overpriced, and there are always people that seem to be "triggered" by certain words for some reason.

I suggest just giving good Pics and forgetting about other peoples random comments. Either they are a buyer or not. If they aren't buying, they are just wasting your time.

#23 5 years ago

Number 1 on the don’t list-
    Do not try to sell a pin for Kaneda.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-batman-66-sle#post-4926867

#24 5 years ago

In addition to showing photos of the most flattering parts of the machine, show photos of the worst parts of the machine as well. No one wants to buy a pin that looks great in photos only to find that everything NOT shown in the photos is worn, scratched, rusty, dirty, or broken.

#25 5 years ago

Respond to people's questions and offers no matter what. And if they want more pics give them more pics. Do not ignore them. Yeah you are going to get a crap ton of tire kickers that are annoying and will waste your time but my biggest pet peeve is sellers who don't reply. What is worse is when you are discussing a deal they disappear on you yet are still selling the machine days later.

If you don't want to deal with me just say so and I will move on but don't ignore people.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Since I see this mistake made often (and I don't mean to single you out specifically):
    It's supposed to be "ad", not "add".
    Ad is short for advertisement.
    Add is a verb; to join, unite, sum, combine, etc.

Like a price police isn't bad enough now you got the spelling police funny

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Like a price police isn't bad enough now you got the spelling police funny

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #28 5 years ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Respond to people's questions and offers no matter what.

I think that is pretty good advice. I hate when someone is selling something and they do not respond to a question about what they are selling. You never really know who is a serious buyer and who isn't. So why not respond to all.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Respond to people's questions and offers no matter what. And if they want more pics give them more pics. Do not ignore them. Yeah you are going to get a crap ton of tire kickers that are annoying and will waste your time but my biggest pet peeve is sellers who don't reply. What is worse is when you are discussing a deal they disappear on you yet are still selling the machine days later.
    If you don't want to deal with me just say so and I will move on but don't ignore people.

Ha - this is funny because it's the exact opposite of how I have approached things , especially on Facebook and CL. I don't ship games, so maybe that's the difference, but I usually post a few pictures and then say if you are interested just come look at it and we will go through the game together. This usually weeds out the tire tickers pretty fast. I also stop responding once I hear something like "let me check the budget/check with the wife/borrow a truck" etc. etc. etc., you're never going to sell a game to those people. If you want 300 pictures of a game you're just tire kicking on you can come get them yourself and waste your own time. I sold a 60-in-1 multicade a few months ago on FB and someone asked me if I'd pull the game out so he could see the monitor wiring because he was a serious buyer. I asked him for a $5.00 PayPal deposit to hold the game for him and never heard from him again. Legit questions are one thing but picture collectors get old realllllllllly fast.

#30 5 years ago

Make sure you don't add too much info to your add. Also, list multiple adds for those with ADD. Remember, always check your spelling in all your adds.

#31 5 years ago

I’ve sold a couple (or 20 something lol) of games on pinside. The same whiny people complain about the same meaningless things all the time. I wouldn’t worry about it honestly. Unless, let’s say you’ve crapped on other people’s ads at some point for using words like restored or HUO....

I’m just kidding of course. I’ve never had a negative ad or an ad turn toxic. I always list in a forum topic. Machines speak for themselves. Describe things thoroughly and take good pics. I always overdo the cons and try to always be as honest as possible. It’s a small community and most of the people I deal with are repeat customers.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Remember, always check your spelling in all your adds.

Awesome!

Is there a limit on how many pictures Pinside will let you post?

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Awesome!
    Is there a limit on how many pictures Pinside will let you post?

Not that I'm aware of.

#34 5 years ago

Ask a price WAY above what you see the average is on PS so your ad will get lots of traffic calling out your price point.

#35 5 years ago

I've posted for sale (and purchased too) and successfully sold quite a few machines on here. Try and be as transparent as you can and be honest with everything like was mentioned about the pics. The good and bad. Price police/pumpers will always be there but if you really want to sell, do the research of what they actually sell for and price accordingly. If the game has some issues that I can fix, I fix before I sell it or list it. Machines that are price fairly will sell with a few exceptions of course.

Basically, I try to make my for sale ad show what I would want if I was looking for the game showing the honesty of what is working, what isn't, and what bothers me that isn't perfect on it.

Good luck!

#36 5 years ago

Remember, the more of those Price Police People that show up, the more exposer your ad gets!

#37 5 years ago

Close up “Glass off” pics with and without lights on is often missing in ads.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Ha - this is funny because it's the exact opposite of how I have approached things , especially on Facebook and CL. I don't ship games, so maybe that's the difference, but I usually post a few pictures and then say if you are interested just come look at it and we will go through the game together. This usually weeds out the tire tickers pretty fast. I also stop responding once I hear something like "let me check the budget/check with the wife/borrow a truck" etc. etc. etc., you're never going to sell a game to those people. If you want 300 pictures of a game you're just tire kicking on you can come get them yourself and waste your own time. I sold a 60-in-1 multicade a few months ago on FB and someone asked me if I'd pull the game out so he could see the monitor wiring because he was a serious buyer. I asked him for a $5.00 PayPal deposit to hold the game for him and never heard from him again. Legit questions are one thing but picture collectors get old realllllllllly fast.

Sometimes, deals are made when it's not feasible to come see a game and pass on it (a several hour trip is the main reason) hence asking lots of questions or requests for photos. If you've done a good enough job describing the item for sale and provide all of the pictures needed, then you wouldn't get so many requests for more pictures. Usually, if you can do this for the potential buyer, when they arrive, you will have already agreed to a purchase price, given that you as a seller are honest in your description with said buyer.

#39 5 years ago

Main things to consider when posting ads:

Be descriptive of your machine. Most people don't care about the why. They just want the details pertaining to the machine.
    Post clear pictures, with a clean camera lens, in GOOD lighting.
    One of each side of the cabinet, coin door, and head.
    If it has a backglass, post a picture of the back of the backglass.
    I post at least 1 picture with the game on in full view.
    With the glass off and game off, I divide the playfield into lower third, middle third, upper third. I include extra pictures of any areas with wear spots.
    At least one picture of the inside of the cab and underneath of the playfield.
    Pictures of each individual board.

If you're priced right and you have a detailed description with clear, well-lit pictures, then you shouldn't have any issues selling your machine, having a forum topic opened on it, or having anyone requesting more pics.

#40 5 years ago

#1 ---> Ensure the discussion forum option is disabled for the for sale ad.
    #2 ---> Ensure PinSide email is enabled to respond to offers.
    #3 ---> Conduct PROPER research on game value before placing the ad.
    #4 ---> Provide good quality photos and identify discrepancies.
    #5 ---> Know if you are "firm" or "OBO" and don't phish.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

average price is listed here on Pinside for a game, and they really do not tell you how they arrived at that price.

Average price is all prices added together divided by the number of prices. Obviously it's only as accurate as the data used so if sellers are telling Pinside low numbers to pay less in fees the numbers will be low.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Describe any significant issues, damage, or wear spots.

This one is important to me: if the seller names all the cons of the game and includes photo's of them, he/she comes across reliable. Other than that just include as much (clear) photo's and as much information as you can.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

so if sellers are telling Pinside low numbers to pay less in fees

Pinside fees are based on game title and do not take into consideration what the game sold for. Same fee for the title regardless of whether it is “restored” or a project

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Sometimes, deals are made when it's not feasible to come see a game and pass on it (a several hour trip is the main reason) hence asking lots of questions or requests for photos. If you've done a good enough job describing the item for sale and provide all of the pictures needed, then you wouldn't get so many requests for more pictures. Usually, if you can do this for the potential buyer, when they arrive, you will have already agreed to a purchase price, given that you as a seller are honest in your description with said buyer.

I can concede that point in some cases like long distances. Maybe its because I also list stuff on the local FB groups that I just get tired of having the same conversation with 30 people who just like the idea of buying something but don't actually want to buy something. For every legitimate buyer I come across I get 15 messages like this...I'm just venting at this point ha!

Screenshot_20190408-141922_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190408-141922_Messenger (resized).jpg
    #45 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I can concede that point in some cases like long distances. Maybe its because I also list stuff on the local FB groups that I just get tired of having the same conversation with 30 people who just like the idea of buying something but don't actually want to buy something. For every legitimate buyer I come across I get 15 messages like this...I'm just venting at this point ha![quoted image]

I guess we know who wears the pants in Nick's relationship.

#46 5 years ago

timab2000 What game are you looking to sell?

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I guess we know who wears the pants in Nick's relationship.

The funny part is that's probably what he just uses as an excuse to window shop. Like "oh these ladies have us by the balls amitite fellas lolololol!!!" I haven't even sold that many games in my time in this hobby and 95% of people asking about them get buyers remorse before they even buy and just make up something like that so you won't blacklist them.

#48 5 years ago

Wonder if it's the same Nick? This guy claims to have gotten wife approval after a day and a half and then he blew me off completely. I'm glad that he did blow me off though because the guy that got the game was completely psyched and appreciative. I would love to have put his screen name but people will figure out who he is soon enough if he keeps up with the bullshit

20190408_182430 (resized).jpg20190408_182430 (resized).jpg20190408_182357 (resized).jpg20190408_182357 (resized).jpg

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Wonder if it's the same Nick? This guy claims to have gotten wife approval after a day and a half and then he blew me off completely. I'm glad that he did blow me off though because the guy that got the game was completely psyched and appreciative. I would love to have put his screen name but people will figure out who he is soon enough if he keeps up with the bullshit
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Ha! Based on location I'd guess not but who knows. In retrospect my original post probably made me sound like I half ass trying to sell stuff which isn't really the case, just more that you can usually sniff out a serious buyer without needing 300 glamour shots of a game.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

timab2000 What game are you looking to sell?

I am thinking about letting go of my Xenon and Gold Ball

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-a-pinball-machine-on-pinside-?hl=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.