(Topic ID: 97625)

Selling a Pin & Tax

By Skins

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

So I have never worried about pin sales because the amount wired was small enough or it was in person cash deal. I'm supposed to get a very large bank wire and the issue of the Irs popped into my mind. Since it's so large, I'm afraid I have to pull out tax but my preparer says its 28% $&@$$&&!??

#2 9 years ago

Are you a member of the Tea Party?

#3 9 years ago

Are you selling a BBB?

#4 9 years ago

If questioned, just say your hard drive crashed and you lost all of your emails documenting it.

#5 9 years ago

You only have to pay tax on the gain, not the entire amount. So if you bought a pin for $7k and sold it for $10k, you are supposed to report $3k of income. That $3k is taxed at your highest tax bracket so if you are making $80k-100k a year 28% is probably right. You'd technically owe $840 in additional taxes. However you can write off any repairs or other money you put into the pin, plus transportation costs, etc.

Disclaimer: I am not a tax attorney.

#6 9 years ago

How long do you have to wait for a bank wire to be safely 'yours', it's not like Western Union or something right?

#7 9 years ago

Cash only

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

You only have to pay tax on the gain, not the entire amount. So if you bought a pin for $7k and sold it for $10k, you are supposed to report $3k of income. That $3k is taxed at your highest tax bracket so if you are making $80k-100k a year 28% is probably right. You'd technically owe $840 in additional taxes. However you can write off any repairs or other money you put into the pin, plus transportation costs, etc.
    Disclaimer: I am not a tax attorney.

Yeah, my problem in my tax guys eyes is since I bought them by cash I can't substantial a loss even though I am selling at a loss

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Yeah, my problem in my tax guys eyes is since I bought them by cash I can't substantial a loss even though I am selling at a loss

Well I mean even if there is no documentation of the purchase you should still be able to put a basis in. you could possibly track back ATM transactions or bank transactions for when you removed the cash when you bought it. If it were me (I file my own taxes anyways) I would put my basis at what I paid for the item even if I had no receipt. Only 1/3rd or less IRS filers are even audited.

My mother works for the IRS in enforcement. Most of the time the people they go after are businesses that withhold payroll taxes but then don't pay them quarterly (they keep the money and use it to float the business through bad times). Individuals selling pinball machines likely don't register high on their list. But again, I am not an attorney.

You don't always need receipts.
    http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/23/cohan-irs-tax-charitable-deduction-personal-finance-wood.html

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-a-pin-tax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.