(Topic ID: 312391)

Selling a pin - good enough to sell, or keep going?

By MtnFrost

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MtnFrost
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

So curious how you decide when to sell - I have a Centaur with a lot of work and new PF, etc., thinking of trading or selling. The only things left to address on it, I want to get a new BG, and the weird and mostly useless gate out of the shooter lane is missing.

So do you always fix everything and make it perfect before selling, or do you decide at some point, good enough?

#2 2 years ago

Good enough.
Seems like everyone now is addicted to buying as much shit as possible for a machine, so they're probably happy to buy the BG themselves.

#3 2 years ago

In this market, you can take a dump on the playfield and it will sell for top dollar.

#4 2 years ago

You can't please all buyers. Telling someone a game is "good enough" will always be subjective.

I remember selling a game I had for a very short time. I told the buyer "it looks good, but, I don't know anything else. I haven't dug into it at all."

I was later told that I "oversold" the game. Long story short: some people won't be satisfied, no matter how you present a game.

#5 2 years ago

There are alot of people out there that want a project. The more doable the project is, the more people will be interested in it. There are also lots of people who prefer "lesser pins".

#6 2 years ago

Unless you are trying to do a full restoration, I say "good enough" and sell it as it currently is.

#7 2 years ago

Price it what you would price it with a new BG. Then subtract the cost of the BG from it. Or vice versa. Just be upfront about it.

#8 2 years ago

Funny topic. I had done virtually everything on a Bally Rolling Stones. New: Backglass, blue powder coat legs, cabinet paint, full Alltek boards, Blue LED displays, plastics, posts. But I didn't touch up the playfield as it was worn.

I got so much abuse on the playfield not being done, I had to use the vinyl overlay with clear to complete it. (CPR was not ready at the time.)

I was finally able to sell it, but reduced what I wanted out of it (due to the overlay.)

I guess my mistake, I should have held onto it now and demanded a exceedingly high price.

#9 2 years ago

I've been thinking about this very same topic with my Surf 'n Safari. I've installed almost all LEDs on it, cleaned most of the playfield, but never did a full teardown. Still has some dirt trails on the plastic slides and the shooter lane, etc. Everything works on it except for one of the slingshots occasionally triggering a few more times than normal. I also installed a cliffy outhole protector because the wear was nasty in this one spot.

Basically, I only did a partial shop job on it, and I'm not sure if I'll do a whole lot more on it.

I tried selling it last year but got a sour taste in my mouth after a potential buyer kept tire kicking me. He was saying his "friend" had a way better Surf 'n Safari, mine was a "below average" example, he would only ever pay X amount of dollars for it, etc. Dude, just say you're not interested and move on.

The point I'm trying to make is, if you're willing to be patient and also deal with tire kickers here and there, you should be able to sell your machine as is.

#10 2 years ago

As long as it’s advertised accurately and priced accordingly I’d say it’s good.

#11 2 years ago

Thanks all - like most of you, I am a perfectionist wanna-be when it comes to pins. I think I'll finish up and leave the BG upgrade to the next person. I know trying to find that missing gate is impossible. I don't have the equipment to make a replacement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-a-pin-good-enough-to-sell-or-keep-going and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.