1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by brett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PASbeua.gif
    source.gif

#1 1 year ago

Good afternoon pinsiders. I am selling a game to another pinsider. I don't know him personally. I know paypal says it protects both parties, but I heard paypal can refund the money rather easily. Is there ways to be taken through paypal? ( I have a feeling, I know the answer) Not saying from this pinsider, I just wanted to know overall. I want to be fair and protect any fraud to all parties in any future sales both as the buyer and seller. Thanks.

#2 1 year ago

I wouldn't take paypal for anything over $250. It's just not worth the risks of a dispute or credit card charge back.

#3 1 year ago

NO PAYPAL. The buyer can dispute the transaction with Paypal and their judgement is sometimes goofy but most important - FINAL. I "might" use Paypal for a $100 hold the game if the buyer really wants it and there are multiple buyers.

Best is CASH. Safest is Escrow as Vid states. Next best might be a bank wire transfer. I did this recently when I sold my Big Bang Bar. Its safe and secure as long as the transfer fee has been taken. If one hasn't then it could be fraudulent. It was $6 for me to receive a transfer. Very easy to do for the buyer at his bank and is fast.

Read this thread and make it a favorite for future reference.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#4 1 year ago

Here is a recent incident where someone used Paypal friends and family and lost $5100

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/watch-out-for-scammers

#5 1 year ago

I wouldn't. Use facebook, no fees or chargeback risk to my knowledge.

#6 1 year ago

Is this Pinsider asking you to hold the game? If so, take a small deposit ($100) via Paypal, and cash upon pickup, or sell to the first person that can pickup with cash.

#7 1 year ago

I used friends and family to receive payment for a machine I sold to a pinsider I did not know. I told the purchaser that I would only take friends and family and would not accept payment through goods and services because they could dispute the purchase. It put the majority of the risk on the purchaser which they were a little uncomfortable with, but that was the only way I was comfortable. The purchaser sent the payment only after the shipper (fast Eddie) was onsite to look at the machine. Then I let the machine out of my house after the money was in my account through friends and family.

#8 1 year ago

Cash on the glass......it's the only way to go.

John

#9 1 year ago

I just bought a machine sight unseen from a dude in WI that I don't know with PayPal.
    1) How many errors are there in the above sentence?
    2) Some of yer guys glasses just caught fire didn't they?
    source.gif

#10 1 year ago

I’ve bought and sold with PayPal. No issues yet. If you deal with someone with a good reputation, I say go for it.

#11 1 year ago

I bought my TWD Premium (out of state) a couple years ago from Wiggy07 using PayPal. I can't recommend PayPal with all the scammers running around, but there are plenty of known, honest Pinsiders. Wiggy07 spoke with me on the phone before we made any arrangements, and of course there were no issues.

#12 1 year ago

I buy and sell with paypal friends and family ALL the time. Never had a issue.

#13 1 year ago

Friends and family only if I am selling.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Here is a recent incident where someone used Paypal friends and family and lost $5100
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/watch-out-for-scammers

I have used friends and family about a dozen times to sell a pin and have had no issues. The above link was to a story where seller didn't have the game to begin with and then sold it via Paypal. The buyers could not get their money back, which reinforces the notion that once you send money with friends and family, it is gone. Most people worry that person buying a game could receive the game and then charge back their purchase. With friends and family this does not happen. I intend to continue using it with people that have been around on Pinside a few years, even if I've never met them.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Is this Pinsider asking you to hold the game? If so, take a small deposit ($100) via Paypal, and cash upon pickup, or sell to the first person that can pickup with cash.

I agree with this. I offered $100 cash PayPal deposit as good faith that I would show up to purchase the game and pay in full for the balance with cash. It's a two way street guys - Sure, the seller doesn't want to get stuck, but as a a buyer I don't want to get stuck rearranging my schedule and making travel out to buy a game to find it gone.
    In all 13 of my sales and 18 buys, the deal is 95% done before someone gets in a vehicle....All that is left is to pick up pay on-site

#16 1 year ago

If it was someone I know and/or legitimately trust, I would prefer a check. I hate dealing with cash and going to the bank with the cost of pins nowadays. I can deposit a check over my phone - super easy.

#17 1 year ago

If it is a close friend or someone I've know and trusted for years then no problem. If it is someone named "Wiggy07" on an internet site, cash only. No offense Wiggy07!

Check with the guys who were trying to buy coin doors from someone Site Trusted in South Carolina. Guy had personal problems and kicked all Pinball activity to the back burner while he sorted out his drug and alcohol (I think that's what it was) issues. You don't want to send thousands of dollars and trust someone else's life decisions are also sound.

Won't ever be an issue 95% of the time if you do your due dilligence but you're still taking a chance.

#18 1 year ago

99.9% of Wiggys gots to pay cash 100% of the time.

#19 1 year ago

The issues with paypal extend beyond trusting the person you are selling/buying from. Paypal freezes accounts for all types of reasons, then you are jumping through hoops to try to retrieve your funds. Its ok for a deposit, but I wouldn't be sending anything you can't live without through paypal as atypical large transfers are one of their flags.

#20 1 year ago

Cash cash cash

#21 1 year ago

Using Paypal to sell a pin to someone you don't know is to risky for me.

PASbeua.gif

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from rtotans:

Good afternoon pinsiders. I am selling a game to another pinsider. I don't know him personally. I know paypal says it protects both parties, but I heard paypal can refund the money rather easily. Is there ways to be taken through paypal? ( I have a feeling, I know the answer) Not saying from this pinsider, I just wanted to know overall. I want to be fair and protect any fraud to all parties in any future sales both as the buyer and seller. Thanks.

A definite no from us. We have been stung before. Paypal look after themselves first, then the buyer. Paypal is fine if you know each other.

"I can use my credit card with paypal and pay no fees" response: Please just go to the bank and get a cash advance on your credit card. We will only accept cash.

Trustingly, we sold a car through Paypal. Buyer then got brother to say credit card was stolen. End of story Paypal took us to court, got their money back for their client and car was reported stolen. We got the car back from the police (stuffed) after they found it at the Buyers house and he lived with his brother. They got a free car to drive around in for 12 months. Paypal did not look after us at all.

#23 1 year ago

Honestly, I don't like to use any service that wants the percentage of money a company like paypal does. And then restricts access to your own money once it's in your account!

So I cut out the middle man and pay with cash whenever possible.

#24 1 year ago

Try zelle, so far on 3 transactions for me, no issues, max was 1500 though and they don't take a % !

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Cash on the glass......it's the only way to go.
    John

What john says

3 weeks later
    #26 11 months ago

Instead of starting a whole new thread about the subject, I just went to send a buddy a few bucks out of what I had in my paypal account, and when I hit the "send money" button, the "friends and family" option is no longer there and is no longer to be found anywhere on the website. Even though they still mention it in the help section, the instructions they give are not accurate.

What I had to do was hit the "more" option and the only way to do it was to send a gift card. Which seemed to work without any fees on either end.

#27 11 months ago

I don't usually use the website but it's still right there in the mobile app.

#28 11 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Instead of starting a whole new thread about the subject, I just went to send a buddy a few bucks out of what I had in my paypal account, and when I hit the "send money" button, the "friends and family" option is no longer there and is no longer to be found anywhere on the website. Even though they still mention it in the help section, the instructions they give are not accurate.
    What I had to do was hit the "more" option and the only way to do it was to send a gift card. Which seemed to work without any fees on either end.

I still see it on my account. I click money at the top. Then send or request money. After that i get a page that has send to friends or family button which sends me to this link ... https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/transfer/send Maybe login to your paypal account and then paste that link into your web browser. I just tried on a fresh tab and it brought the send to friends and fam page right up.

#29 11 months ago

I'm doing it on my PC at work trying both Firefox and Chrome and neither one will show friends and family at all. And I've done it several times including pasting that link. Used to work just fine. Now it goes directly to

Send money to-

And if I continue on gift or friends and family never comes up.

But if I hit the "more" button at the top right it does give the option of a gift card.

#30 11 months ago

I'm on the phone with them now (what a joy), and so far they have told me it's a known glitch in their system that they are working on. Been going on for a few days. They are putting me on the list of accounts that need to be fixed. lol

#31 11 months ago

It's OK to BUY a machine using Paypal.

But if you SELL a machine using Paypal, you are an idiot, plain and simple.

#32 11 months ago

Dude, I can't even use their stupid system to send my own money.

#33 11 months ago

I have done paypal friends and family multiple time with pinsiders with me as the buyer.

Unless I know you well from pinside and you have a long standing reputstion on this site you dont want to ruin I would allow to pay me the same way. But too be honest I made everyone pay with cash or cashiers check on big game purchases.

Dont do it unless your really sure about the deal.

#34 11 months ago

I did a wire transfer with another pinsider and all good. But as mentioned cash is king.

#35 11 months ago

Goods and service to buy. Ff to sell for me. Pinside Rep helps too.

2 weeks later
    #36 11 months ago

Let's just say... you say to a person send me as a gift or friends and family on paypal. When you receive paypal from someone you can't see how it was sent... for example was it friends and family, or a regular purchase? Am I wrong? Is there a way to see how they paid you?

#37 11 months ago
    Quoted from rtotans:

Let's just say... you say to a person send me as a gift or friends and family on paypal. When you receive paypal from someone you can't see how it was sent... for example was it friends and family, or a regular purchase? Am I wrong? Is there a way to see how they paid you?

You can tell by the transaction details, that’s sent with the confirmation.
    I usually use PayPal for purchasing and selling.
    I’ve never had an issue.
    Just use debit not credit, credit still charges the fees.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 129.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside