Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by damadczar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you trade 2 (or more) for 1?”

• Hellz yes! Quality over quantity. 46 votes
      74%
    • That's crazy! Quantity over quality. 7 votes
      11%
    • I don't understand the question... (Hoard and never surrender) 7 votes
      11%
    • You mean you can keep them? (hard core flipper...) 2 votes
      3%

(62 votes)

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I've toyed off an on with the idea of selling 4 of my pins to get 2 higher-value pins... to get games I *really* want.
    Anyone done this and have regrets?

I know some folks rotate through pins and just churn and burn, but I'm more of a collect and hold kind of person, but I don't have any money really for any more pins right now.

Thoughts? Have you done it and no looking back? Or do you regret it?

#2 5 years ago

Get the games you want. It cool to have more games I guess but you should get the ones that make you happy.
    They'll be more games in the future...always are!

#3 5 years ago

I sold 3 to get WoZ. It was worth it.

#4 5 years ago

For me it would come down to playability and longevity. I've been in the hobby long enough and have sold off enough games to know what I will play and not get sick of. Its nice to have more expensive games, but if they just sit there as bling whats the point? My grail is AFM but i'll probably never own it because its just way too expensive for what I will get in return. On the other hand I also sold my WH20 years ago and have been pining to get one back so regret in getting rid of a game you may be sick of right now but ultimately realize you made a mistake and want it back.

#5 5 years ago

This is a great question. From another angle- if you are a collector/ hoarder (like me) more than a flipper and your primary goal is to maximize long-term boredom defense- are 2 or 3 decent, but "lower ranked" titles better than owning 1 holy grail A title? I say yes in principal... but with all kinds of exceptions, eg. 2 or 3 EM's maybe wouldn't cut it against a WOZ, space is always an issue, cost has to be neutral, and there's no accounting for taste.

#6 5 years ago

I tend to sell the higher priced games to get something good.

#7 5 years ago

Ive done the opposite. I sold my more expensive pins and have bought some cheaper pins. Id definitely pick quantity over quality. Had dialed in and hobbit, but they’ve weren’t getting enough play to justify their higher cost. I bought a few cheaper pins and still have enough money left to buy a stern pro. Would you rather play one really nice new pin or have he option of three older pins?

#8 5 years ago

best way to upgrade, start small and let it grow!

#9 5 years ago

I did a two for one and I ended up trading the one within months. Just be certain you want the pin. I was not sure about it, but did the trade and it was dumb in the end.

#10 5 years ago

i sold a batman forever and then traded my bride of pinbot with some of that cash for a stern star trek. would do it in a heartbeat again.

#11 5 years ago

I only regret a 1 for 1 . my CV for Jasonpaulbauer pinside members IM he made out as IM originals were 6 k at the time, I was somewhat fortunate but sad sold to a friend for the 6 k , which he could never get back due to the release of IM vault Ed .. So it caused another to dread pinball deals .. Happens

#12 5 years ago

I've been considering selling two greats in my Metallica and acdc in order to get a jjp potc. Tough call. I play Metallica the most, and it's tough to part with it, but I want something new. I would suggest if you're not itching to play your current games, then definitely sell for something new. I'm on the side of quality over quantity.

#13 5 years ago

I traded 2 for 1 breaking a rule I established early on in my collecting.I think I did the right thing, not sure yet.I can always sell my Luci for something new down the road.Toy Story or Willy Wonka.I love my DI

#14 5 years ago

I’ve thought about it myself recently, I’ve sold several and traded up one at a time but not a 2 for 1. Your’ current collection is full of games I’d like to own!

#15 5 years ago

Get what you want. I traded 3 machines for 1 a couple of months ago. I’m still happy with my decision as I acquired a machine I had wanted for years.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I've been considering selling two greats in my Metallica and acdc in order to get a jjp potc. Tough call. I play Metallica the most, and it's tough to part with it, but I want something new. I would suggest if you're not itching to play your current games, then definitely sell for something new. I'm on the side of quality over quantity.

I certainly wouldn't do that.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I certainly wouldn't do that.

It's tempting to want to mix things up, but these are two pins that I just can't seem to let go. I seriously play Metallica nearly every night still after a few years of ownership.

#18 5 years ago

I did a 4 for 1 for MM. As much as I love the games I traded I haven't looked back.

#19 5 years ago

Sold a Bally Space Invaders (fully working worn PF), my 2nd Xenon (working project game) and a nice non-working Gottlieb Show Boat to buy a really nice Centaur. More than glad I did.

#20 5 years ago

I sold 5 games in order to buy my Star Trek premium and I have zero regrets.

#21 5 years ago

In general I agree with you guys that say quantity over quality, and that 2 or 3 B titles are better than a single A title.

I like shorter game times and hard to master pins, and I've always felt that having more in the collection is better than just a few, due to the boredom factor.

But there's also theme and grail type status. I've always wanted a TZ. Figured I could sell my Shadow and T2 and buy a TZ.
    I've loved Twilight Zone (the tv show) forever, and I truly enjoy playing the game (the few times I've played it).

I argue with myself that this would be for the better, esp b/c T2 are a dime a dozen. But it was a my first pin, and holds sentimental value. But I am kind of tired of playing it.... don't fire it up much, you know?

And Shadow... well, I love Shadow. But I'd probably love TZ more. I dunno.

#22 5 years ago

I would trade TS and T2 for TZ and never look back. You can always find another T2. I understand your thought process, though. I will probably never get rid of my FT for the same reasons. It wasn’t my first game, but it was my first good game. I put a ton of work into it and my friends and family all love it more than anything in my collection. In the end you have to do what makes you happy.

#23 5 years ago

Tough decision and I’m generally a quantity over quality person for the variety and keeping things from getting stale.

I’ve recently contemplated getting rid of 2 to get a mmr or a used mmr and a cheap machine.

Can’t figure out what I’m willing to let go other than Metallica.

#24 5 years ago

Pretty sure I win...I did a 6-for-1 trade about six years ago now. I miss a couple of them once in awhile, but no regrets. I still have the 1.

#25 5 years ago

Poll add, b/c folks like polls.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from damadczar:

I like shorter game times and hard to master pins, and I've always felt that having more in the collection is better than just a few, due to the boredom factor.

Same.
    You need 2/1 for IM or a few early SS in your life.
    That’s Iron Man, not Maiden.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Same.
    You need 2/1 for IM or a few early SS in your life.
    That’s Iron Man, not Maiden.

I can agree with adding a few more solid state pins... I've got several listed in my Wish List. Definitely dig the subtle mastery involved in some of those early solid state pins.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spagano314:

I would trade TS and T2 for TZ and never look back. You can always find another T2. I understand your thought process, though. I will probably never get rid of my FT for the same reasons. It wasn’t my first game, but it was my first good game. I put a ton of work into it and my friends and family all love it more than anything in my collection. In the end you have to do what makes you happy.

I would NEVER trade those two for a TZ...TS is an amazing machine with great flow, T2 is also a fast flowing machine . TZ is a clunkfest and described as a "stop and go" game... completely different feeling than those two you have. Make sure you enjoy those types of games before you trade.. Id never own a TZ.

#29 5 years ago

I'd go both ways. I don't think I'd ever sell my TNA but I'd trade the Paragon for a player's game and a bingo

#30 5 years ago

Because you have 7 games you can keep a variety and still do a 2fer and still end up with 6 games. Even a 3 for 1 and still have 5 games. I think you are smart to begin upgrading to the games you really want. Then as you find more money, buy another B/C title and work your way back up to 7.

If you had only 3 games and wanted to sell for one, I would say no. The minimum collection size IMO is 3. You play more because you can move to something different. Also for friends and family to play at the same time.

#31 5 years ago

Yes, if you can afford to do it.

#32 5 years ago

Opportunity to sell a very nice Last Action Hero and a players High Speed for a Stern Star Wars.

Yes or no?

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Murphelman:

Opportunity to sell a very nice Last Action Hero and a players High Speed for a Stern Star Wars.
    Yes or no?

Yes imho especially if your going to the premium SW.

#34 5 years ago

Out with F14, D&D, spring break, and tee’d off.

In with GoT Pre.

No regrets.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Murphelman:

Yes or no?

In a heartbeat. I'm assuming pro if it's a straight trade, and that's about even value. LAH and HS are both decent games, but SW is awesome, including the pro. It took me a little while to warm up to it, but once I got to know it, it has quickly become one of my all time favorites. If it's a premium, jump fast, and that's a great deal for you.

#36 5 years ago

Just because a game is expensive or considered an 'A' title, does not automatically mean it's going to be better than a cheaper 'B' pin. Any pin can get old at home - even good ones. If it gets to a point were you just don't play then maybe it's time to move on. If you are getting a game you really want, I don't see how you can go wrong. If you are taking a chance selling a game you know you like for a game you barely played then I wouldn't do that. I also wouldn't jump on an expensive game unless you have played it a bunch.

I basically traded two games do get my TZ. I probably overpaid but zero regrets. TZ has always been one of my dream pins and it feels good to have one in my home. It's nostalgic and a pin I know I love playing since I have played it a bunch. I hate letting any pins go but truth was I just didn't play them that much. I don't have a lot of room or big spending money so gotta let some of them go.

#37 5 years ago

i have buyers AND sellers regret almost every game. More sellers regret. But lately I've sold "better" games to get "lesser" ones (Sold BoP to get Sorcerer and Space Station) and been happy. Sold my AFM just before the remake was announced, so got top $$$ but miss the game at times. I'll never replace it because I paid a fraction of the replacement cost, but nice having that "A" list title in the group.

Just the same, I hesitate to sell my A and B list games any more because I don't want to devalue my collection. And, I admit it, it's cool having "A" list games.

So basically I've just been finding more space in the basement...

Back to your dilemma though - if you really like the game you're trading for, you'll be happy. That's the short answer.....

#38 5 years ago

I believe they call it menage a trious.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Murphelman:

Yes or no?

I wouldn't. Keep the High Speed and throw in cash.

#40 5 years ago

Honestly, you are chasing something that you will never achieve. There is no such thing as a keeper. There is no such thing as a game that is so timeless, it will be fun forever. There is no such item that will hold your attention so well that you will never let it go. The sooner you realize this, the happier you will be. Don’t ask this question because you have already answered it yourself and no one here can help you. Follow your gut.

You will realize the ones that belong with you and they are reasons that only you will realize and appreciate.

I’ve sold a lot of games. They are just games and many many things are more important.

#41 5 years ago

Well said.
    I nominate you for Pinside Chaplain.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Honestly, you are chasing something that you will never achieve. There is no such thing as a keeper. There is no such thing as a game that is so timeless, it will be fun forever. There is no such item that will hold your attention so well that you will never let it go.

Wow. I couldn’t disagree more, such a depressing point of view. There are many items in my life that I am content with. Things that I feel are timeless and forever fun.

Don’t you have anything that you truly love?

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Honestly, you are chasing something that you will never achieve. There is no such thing as a keeper. There is no such thing as a game that is so timeless, it will be fun forever. There is no such item that will hold your attention so well that you will never let it go. The sooner you realize this, the happier you will be. Don’t ask this question because you have already answered it yourself and no one here can help you. Follow your gut.
    You will realize the ones that belong with you and they are reasons that only you will realize and appreciate.
    I’ve sold a lot of games. They are just games and many many things are more important.

My BSD says otherwise.

4 weeks later
    #44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Wow. I couldn’t disagree more, such a depressing point of view. There are many items in my life that I am content with. Things that I feel are timeless and forever fun.

I agree, some of my pins will never leave and if that means I’ll miss out on some newer pins that’s ok.

#45 5 years ago

I struggle with this. I want more or different games, but have nothing I want to part with. I let my tspp go and I'm fine with it. Miss it some, but have a Camaro iroc instead of it and don't regret it. I'm really wanting a jjp potc, and I know the next 3 jjp titles I'll want. I have room for a few more games, but not the money. I totally wish I could let go of something, but I truly enjoy each game I own. First world problems I guess.

#46 5 years ago

We just want something for pin #2 but I can't figure out what it should be. I think JJP Potc looks great, but I won't spend that much on a single pin. Looking at huo sterns currently.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Don’t you have anything that you truly love?

Love is a human emotion that you can’t share with inanimate objects. So to answer you question on “Anything”, no. “Anyone”? Certainly!

#48 5 years ago

Quality over quantity. I'd rather have one fun pin with lots to do, over a bunch of boring simplistic ones.

However, I own both Shadow and TZ and I would keep Shadow all day long over TZ... in fact I've been meaning to sell TZ but don't want to deal with rando buyers.

#49 5 years ago

Two B titles will always be better than one A title, but two C or D titles cannot compete with an A title.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Two B titles will always be better than one A title, but two C or D titles cannot compete with an A title.

Equation form:

1) 2B > A
    2) 2(C + D) < A

Solve for A...
    A = Expensive

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selling-2-for-1-any-regrets?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.