Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index.jpg
    2D93E4E4-4577-4601-8DBA-2AC2CBE198D0 (resized).jpeg
    02c95cbee1824ec5ae1db38337e733ef (resized).jpg
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I've been pm'ed several times by brand new Pinsiders in the last week about a few machines I have for sale.
    The latest one joined yesterday,donated today,and wants me to ship a pin across the country.
    Seems odd to me considering were only 7 hours into today....
    Be careful guys.

#2 6 years ago

Well I can see where you might get concerned but, I'd give them the benefit of a doubt until they prove otherwise. Don't get me wrong you have every right to be skeptical and should take any and all precautions if and when you deal with them.

#3 6 years ago

It's rediculous and the same has happened to me as well. I'm not giving anyone the benefit of anything. If they can't come pick the game up and pay with cash, screw them.

#4 6 years ago

Just watch how they’re paying? A sale is a sale as long as you have cash on hand without possibility of a charge back.

#5 6 years ago

Check out Escrow.com

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

It's rediculous and the same has happened to me as well. I'm not giving anyone the benefit of anything. If they can't come pick the game up and pay with cash, screw them.

Like I said be leery, be cautious, you have every right to your view, and I agree that it is strange but, as someone else said protect yourself if you do business whether it's local (pick-up) or shipping.

#7 6 years ago

I won't be taking PayPal I can tell you that...

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

Check out Escrow.com

Has anybody here ever actually done a pinball deal with escrow.com?

I see lots of people suggest it but I can't believe it's actually ever happened. I know I wouldn't be interested in an escrow.com deal.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Well I can see where you might get concerned but, I'd give them the benefit of a doubt until they prove otherwise. Don't get me wrong you have every right to be skeptical and should take any and all precautions if and when you deal with them.

We've had a problem with scammers signing up for new accounts then PMing people about buying or selling.

Elevatorman Can you PM me any info you have on the suspicious accounts?

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

We've had a problem with scammers signing up for new accounts then PMing people about buying or selling.
    Elevatorman Can you PM me any info you have on
    the suspicious accounts?

I just did ForceFlow

Thanks sir

#11 6 years ago

To the Mods:

Have any proactive controls been put in place to try and minimize scammers? Previously, I suggested, preventing new members from posting in the marketplace (and maybe even PM'ing) for a few months and a minimum number of posts, until everyone can see their posts to see whether they are true pinheads and have any knowledge whatsoever about the hobby.

Another suggestion is that they write a paragraph or two about why they want to join pinside, how many pins they have, which games are their favorites, etc. and this has to be reviewed and approved by the mods before activating their account. It should be easy to tell a true pinhead from a scammer with no knowledge of the hobby.

Of course I realize no system is fool proof, but I think this would at least cut down on a majority of scammers.

#12 6 years ago

Someone wanted to use Escrow.com. If you read it they can hold your money until the buyer says it's ok. Looked like a way to get screwed out of pin and cash on the sellers end just like PayPal. Bank transfer is the only protection a seller has IMO. Doesn't seem to be any replacement for cash and carry. Thanks for the heads up and good luck.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

To the Mods:
    Have any proactive controls been put in place to try and minimize scammers? Previously, I suggested, preventing new members from posting in the marketplace (and maybe even PM'ing) for a few months and a minimum number of posts, until everyone can see their posts to see whether they are true pinheads and have any knowledge whatsoever about the hobby.
    Another suggestion is that they write a paragraph or two about why they want to join pinside, how many pins they have, which games are their favorites, etc. and this has to be reviewed and approved by the mods before activating their account. It should be easy to tell a true pinhead from a scammer with no knowledge of the hobby.
    Of course I realize no system is fool proof, but I think this would at least cut down on a majority of scammers.

Yes, there are several roadblocks in place. However, scammers are clever, and it's a cat-and-mouse game to keep them out. On the other hand, if there are too many speed bumps in the way for new legitimate members, they would be less likely to join and participate.

#14 6 years ago

Cash-n-Carry
    I'll help carry too....lol
    Thanks Forceflow for looking into it

#15 6 years ago

No need to lose a sale....there are plenty of ways to protect yourself. If the seller doesn't want to do any of them, that's the Red Flag...

#16 6 years ago

I had similar contact with Pinsiders from outside the US that I felt were a bit sketchy. A few were really pushy to quickly ship. I asked one a few questions and they "disappeared". Maybe they are legit but maybe not. Be careful out there.

Hi I’m interested in this spooky pinball
    Are you able to pack it up and ship it direct to jersey jack Pinball for me
    Jersey jack will handle the shipping to the uk for me
    Thanks

Do you have a phone number for Jack. I need to ask him a couple shipping questions.

Thanks,
    Mike

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I had similar contact with Pinsiders from outside the US that I felt were a bit sketchy. A few were really pushy to quickly ship. I asked one a few questions and they "disappeared". Maybe they are legit but maybe not. Be careful out there.
    leeriley
    Hi I’m interested in this spooky pinball
    Are you able to pack it up and ship it direct to jersey jack Pinball for me
    Thanks
    Lee,
    Do you have a phone number for Jack. I need to ask him a couple shipping questions.
    Thanks,
    Mike

The account doesn't have any of the usual red flags.

The shipping request does seem a little odd, though.

#18 6 years ago

Sounds like a scam to me.

#19 6 years ago

I have had a couple people (almost always in CA) looking to buy my Astro and have it shipped. No request for additional photos or information, just that they are anxious to pay and can have it picked up ASAP.

#20 6 years ago

My first clue to a shady buyer/seller is one that will not converse over the phone....call me old school, but I like to talk to a person with a transaction as large as most of these are (as the buyer or seller)

#21 6 years ago

"CASH on the GLASS" is the only no risk transaction. If I can't sell a machine that way it stays in the collection. Sooner or later there is always someone looking for a title locally so I have never had a machine that didn't sell. Some took a few months and others sold same day as listed but over time everything I have ever had for sale has sold.

Why take the risk of shipping?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from ulmpharmd:

My first clue to a shady buyer/seller is one that will not converse over the phone....call me old school, but I like to talk to a person with a transaction as large as most of these are (as the buyer or seller)

Interesting...I dislike talking on the phone and by far prefer texting. Everything is in writing, there are no misunderstandings.
    I sold 30k worth of games the last 2 months and never spoke to a single buyer until they were at my house.

#23 6 years ago

I think the shady comment is in regards to shipping buyers, not guys coming to your house to pay cash and pick up.

If they are local, it doesn't matter, if not a phone call is one way of filtering out scammers.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I see lots of people suggest it but I can't believe it's actually ever happened. I know I wouldn't be interested in an escrow.com deal.

I've used it before, twice in fact. There's a fee involved, but it greatly reduces the risk for both the buyer and seller.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have, sold AMH game to a person in Texas. Buyer puts funds into Escrows account. When verified Escrow.com notifies seller to okay to ship. Tracking number is needed. Buyer notifies Escrow.com item has been received. Escrow.com transfers funds to your bank account. Escrow.com does charge a fee for this service.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

I have, sold AMH game to a person in Texas. Buyer puts funds into Escrows account. When verified Escrow.com notifies seller to okay to ship. Tracking number is needed. Buyer notifies Escrow.com item has been received. Escrow.com transfers funds to your bank account. Escrow.com does charge a fee for this service.

What happens if the buyer gets it, and then never says they got it?

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

What happens if the buyer gets it, and then never says they got it?

Presumably they would be signing with the shipping company when they receive it, so there would be proof either way. And if there is damage by the shipping company then hopefully you bought insurance through them.

#28 6 years ago

Nothing is foolproof, even buyers coming to your home that you don't know can be risky.
    I've heard of folks getting cased out by tire kickers that end up breaking in and stealing games when they are not home.
    Ok, it may sound paranoid but it had happened...

I try to only sell to people I know at least a little, or that have a good rep already or have common friends that can vouch for them.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Presumably they would be signing with the shipping company when they receive it, so there would be proof either way. And if there is damage by the shipping company then hopefully you bought insurance through them.

If buyer claims there was undisclosed damage, wants a refund, or tries to pull any funny stuff, they have to ship the item back to the seller AT THEIR COST and they cannot get their money back from Escrow until Seller confirms it was indeed shipped back.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Interesting...I dislike talking on the phone and by far prefer texting. Everything is in writing, there are no misunderstandings.
    I sold 30k worth of games the last 2 months and never spoke to a single buyer until they were at my house.

I can usually judge crazy over the phone. Texting is harder to get the crazy vibe.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from moonduckie78:

If buyer claims there was undisclosed damage, wants a refund, or tries to pull any funny stuff, they have to ship the item back to the seller AT THEIR COST and they cannot get their money back from Escrow until Seller confirms it was indeed shipped back.

So why would a buyer agree to escrow.com? Sounds as bad as paypal, or worse.

#32 6 years ago

I just wouldn't deal with shipping unless users here could vouch for the buyer.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, four times.

I've used it many more times when buying high-end audio equipment.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know I wouldn't be interested in an escrow.com deal.

That's because you can't understand how it works.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Someone wanted to use Escrow.com. If you read it they can hold your money until the buyer says it's ok.

Exactly. The buyer has 48 hours to inspect the game.

If the buyer does not arrange for return shipping before 48 hours, the money is released to the seller automatically.

Quoted from Buzz:

Looked like a way to get screwed out of pin and cash on the sellers end just like PayPal.

Nope. Not at all.

With Paypal, the buyer has 120 days to reverse the transaction - and the SELLER has to pay for return shipping.

With Escrow.com the buyer has 48 hours to return the game, after that time expires, it's his forever.

Quoted from Buzz:

Bank transfer is the only protection a seller has IMO.

There are a few great ways to do the bank transfer scam, read the ripoff guide.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yea...I agree on liking something in black and white, but I still prefer to get a feel for the person on the phone as well.

#36 6 years ago

I have sold lots of shipped games. I have had buyers buy with just a phone conversation and pictures. I haven't had any problems with PP shipping damage, unsatisfied buyer, ect... For local sales, there are folks that are so paranoid that they wont sell a game to stranger! They will not use CL because they do not want anyone coming to there house period. Now I know there is a certain amount of Hoopla that goes with selling on CL, tire kickers, guys that just want to play your game, Looky Loos, die hard Bargain Hunters, people that just stand you up, weirdos, wasteoids, people that want you to deliver and set up for free (and not getting paid til you do....

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

These aren't the Pinsiders your looking for. You don't know the power of the darkside! Never text.

#38 6 years ago

I used escrow.com for a $90k car. Yes they are reputable

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

When in doubt do both. Have a phone call and then confirm the details in a text.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from ulmpharmd:

i have anxiety about talking on the phone to people i do not know. if i do this for a sale i must really want the game. having said that i have talked to multiple people over the phone about sales.

#41 6 years ago

As someone who's worked with gov't contracts and such, I too dislike verbal communication. I want to see it all in writing, because 99.9% of the time, weeks, months, years later I'll need that information to prove that - I did my part.. they didn't do their part.

#42 6 years ago

I don't sell often, but when I do, I prefer to sell at shows. Well, I've only done it at MGC (thrice). I get to share pinball with the masses, it gets me into the after party, I don't have strangers checking out my house, and the deal is done in person, for cash, within a limited time window and in a safe, crowded place.

Since I post what I'm bringing in the pre-show threads, I do get my fair share of tire kickers that send PMs trying to get me to sell before the show, but what fun would that be...

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Thanks

If Jack were handling the shipping, he'd know Jack's phone number.

Run Run Run Run

LTG : )

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Run Run Run Run

100% agree!

#45 6 years ago

IMHO If you are a big seller and are successful you communicate in almost every way. Email. text, phone, in person, drive by, hand signals, different languages, different dialects.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

When in doubt do both. Have a phone call and then confirm the details in a text.

This is best...

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Run Run Run Run

Thanks Lloyd! I figured his lack of response after that was an indicator.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Run Run Run Run

LOL

that's a good point

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I used escrow.com for a $90k car. Yes they are reputable

what car cost 90k - just curious

#50 6 years ago

Am I the only one who is terrified of Vid?? Great advice as always. Thank you.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sellers-beware-1?hl=dee-bow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.