Linked Games

Topic poll

“Seller's remorse”

• Yes 34 votes
    63%
  • No 20 votes
    37%

(Multiple choice - 54 votes)

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I got my first machine in Sep (Bally KISS)...got the fever and picked up a Mata Hari for $500 two months later. It had 3 new boards and I had to replace the solenoid board. It was filthy. I did a full shop on it, hand painted the cabinet and sold it. The game is one of my favs from high school and although my plan the entire time was to begin to buy neglected machines, restore and sell them, while accumulating enough $ for a Stern KISS Pro.

But when the buyer showed up, I had a strong tinge of regret. I thought to myself "You better keep good care of this machine after all of blood, sweat, and tears I put into the machine". I made a very good profit on the machine, but have other flippers had the same feelings after selling their first restoration?

#2 3 years ago

Hate selling most every game, but sometimes it has to be done.

#3 3 years ago

Uncle Pinball recently had an episode about pinball regrets!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1201796/episodes/7450681

#4 3 years ago

Every time I have had remorse selling it was ultimately because of price/value. Very few games are that rare that you can't buy another its just that some titles come along you can't buy for THAT price again.
Some selling regrets of mine, TX Sector, Rolling Thunder that I paid $100 for, VS Castlevania, and the Tempest that I traded for what at the time was "equal value" only to have the price sky rocket in the following years.

#5 3 years ago

Loooove TX Sector!

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

Every time I have had remorse selling it was ultimately because of price/value. Very few games are that rare that you can't buy another its just that some titles come along you can't buy for THAT price again.

This. Games I wish I could have back at the prices I sold them for as I would never pay current market prices: Scared Stiff and No Good Gofers

#7 3 years ago

No Egrets

#8 3 years ago

Just never sell anything and buy a bigger house! Problem solved

#10 3 years ago

I've never sold a game...for this very reason.

#11 3 years ago

Sometimes I'll miss a game I once owned, but thus far, that hasn't reached the point of regret.

Though I always to hope the new owner will enjoy the game and take good care of it.

The number of neglected games I've seen and rescued is just sad sometimes. A couple years ago, I picked up a Bounty Hunter from an outdoor tin shed with a dirt floor. Unfortunately, the cabinet was badly water damaged. Apparently, the owner just lost interest in it and didn't want it taking up space in the house anymore, so he dragged it outside where it got ruined in the shed. Surprisingly, the game actually still booted and flipped, so it wasn't because the game wasn't working. Unfortunately, the wood damage was too severe to be able to save, and it was parted out. I later found out that it was previously restored by a local guy a number of years prior since he recognized his work on it. I just hope none of the games I've brought back to life end up like that.

#12 3 years ago

Delt31 sold me a game and a while later regretted he gave me a discount, threatened to write a bad review if I did not pay him more.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

Delt31 sold me a game and a while later regretted he gave me a discount, threatened to write a bad review if I did not pay him more.

And???

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

If I could only get now what I sold it for then

#15 3 years ago

I regret selling my Cyclopes. I will never find another one.

#16 3 years ago

I regret selling my Tron.

#17 3 years ago

they never make just one game . you can always buy another again

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

they never make just one game . you can always buy another again

Lock Ness and Pinball Circus come to mind lol

#19 3 years ago

I just started last April and have 3 pins. I’m struggling with this now as I want something new .I need to get over the hump just can’t yet it’s gut wrenching ! Welcome to pinball I guess ?

#20 3 years ago

I blew out my basement so I would never experience such pain.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I just started last April and have 3 pins. I’m struggling with this now as I want something new .I need to get over the hump just can’t yet it’s gut wrenching ! Welcome to pinball I guess ?

It works well if you don’t get attached to pins. My friend has been in the hobby as long as me but he’s had way more pins than me even when never having more than 5 at a time. Because I keep my pins longer and hate to sell I don’t get to experience as many.

#22 3 years ago

Regretted selling my Tomcat. At the time I had spent so much time fixing it up, I just couldn't stand it anymore. Sold it and then couldn't stop regretting it. But ended up getting a fully restored and cleared one to replace it. On the other hand, sold my LOTR. Felt some regret after a few months. It was just so pretty. But found one on location. All it took was hearing, "the path of the dead!" to remind me why I sold it. After two very long games, I walked away leaving credits on the machine. I was at peace. I just played that game way too much when I owned it. I just don't need to play it again. So, seller's remorse cuts both ways.

#23 3 years ago

I miss games for sure, but I don't really regret selling any as my pinball money generally goes back into the hobby, so the games I've sold have been out of necessity to get games I wanted more. The one game I'd really like to have back is my Earthshaker, but I don't really think I miss playing the game as much as the idea of owning it, which probably means I don't need another one.

Quoted from Bandit78:

But when the buyer showed up, I had a strong tinge of regret. I thought to myself "You better keep good care of this machine after all of blood, sweat, and tears I put into the machine".

This I really have never felt. After a game leaves my house you can do what you want with it. Turn around and sell it for double the money or turn it into a decorative planter for the yard. Once a game is gone I generally never want to hear about it again ha.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

good thing I read these threads....

Bumper - very interesting that you sent me a pm last night asking for me to remove my feedback and you would remove yours about how you ripped me off.

I encourage anyone interested to read the feedback I left as I was taken by this guy very early on in my pinside days. He flat out lied to me about my Indy, saying it was a reproduced PF! I believed him and actually reduced the price by 500 as I thought I made a mistake. After doing research that day, I realized he ripped me off. I also made this clear to him later that day along with that week and left feedback timely as I realized this was his crooked plan all along.

As I told bumper this morning - once he pays me the $500 he owes me, I'll remove my comments as everyone makes mistakes, I always allow them to resolve it. Until then, I will continue posting that to protect others from working with people like @bumper.

My rep speaks for itself.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from crank:

I regret selling my Cyclopes. I will never find another one.

I had never heard of that one, but after following HEP’s recent restoration of one I was impressed. What a different and cool-looking machine.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

still bitter over $500 from 4 years ago?

#28 3 years ago

I've had seller's remorse after letting almost every single machine go. Not because of price, but because wouldn't it be great to keep them all! But ultimately, I realize I dont' have time or inclination to have to keep up with SO many machines. 6 or 7 is where I max out.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It works well if you don’t get attached to pins. My friend has been in the hobby as long as me but he’s had way more pins than me even when never having more than 5 at a time. Because I keep my pins longer and hate to sell I don’t get to experience as many.

I’m sure after selling one things will get better

#30 3 years ago

I'm in the "i regret selling them because I'd never pay current prices to get them back" club. Those include NGG and AFM.

Actually, that goes for just about every game I've sold - I sold most at market value but they've gone up so much I would have trouble buying the same game back at twice the price. Heck, I wouldn't pay $1000 for the Jet Spin that I sold for $350.

#31 3 years ago

Metallica
First new in box game I ever bought, sure I can get another...but that one was special

#32 3 years ago

Not really. You can look at the games I used to own and that's what I've sold in the last 25 years. Of those, about half were duplicate titles which means I still technically own one.

#33 3 years ago

I definitely have sellers remorse.

Sold my 12 pin collection when we sold our large home and bought a smaller condo.

Two years later, we decided to move out of California and bought a nice sized home.

I wish I would have at least kept my BM66 and TSPP.

Time to start over, I guess. Although I'm not a fan of the theme, Deadpool is hella fun and I'm thinking that may be my first purchase for the new place.

#34 3 years ago

Space and money makes me regret selling everything but biggest regrets:

KISS LE with Topper. Kiss is a good game, not a great one. Love the theme though. I finished everything in it before the last code update made it "easier". The fact that I'll have to pay $4K more than I sold it for means I'll never own it again.

Sweet loaded, LOADED Tron Pro.

NO REGRETS?
Dialed In LE (soulless game)
Ghostbusters LE (100% Ghostbusters, 0% fun)
Batman The Dark Knight (I'm convinced it was actually designed in the dark)

#35 3 years ago

I do....but again, I have had a smaller collection. Most importantly, the machines I later regretted selling were my first machines, and I completely rebuilt.
They weren't great games, but the amount of work and pride, made me have a personal connection to them. I still regret selling Hee Haw and Cyclone.
On the flip side, I had a Judge Dread for 11 months. Sold it later with zero remorse. Other then a few LEDS no real work went into it.

I would think if you have a large collection, and your not actively restoring, then you would have less regret in selling.

#36 3 years ago

I end up with seller's remorse nearly every time. I tend to get attached to things, which I know is completely irrational, yet it still happens. If I could, I would keep them all. But my reality right now is if I want something new, something usually has to go to help pay for it. I usually find some little flaw or quirk in the game to focus on and justify selling, only to regret it after a few months. I have bought games back a few times...in some cases even the exact same machine. It's a vicious cycle with me. Right now I am thinking of getting rid of one I already bought, sold, and bought back...and my likely replacement would also be a repeat. And the sad part is, I'm pretty sure at some point down the line I will miss this one again and be looking for another one. Terrible I tell you...terrible. LOL

I will say though, that is one of the beautiful things about this hobby. If you buy one you don't enjoy, or just need a change, you can sell pretty easily. If you regret a sale, you can always find another one. If you are smart about your buying and selling, you won't even lose much if any money doing so. So really, why not keep it fresh when the urge hits. For me the biggest regrets are probably the ones that I bought NIB that I know I will not be able to (reasonably) replace with another NIB. There is something a bit more special about the ones that were "all mine". But that is probably just another silly personal mindset.

#37 3 years ago

I am preventing this very thing from happening by not selling anything I currently have. I know I will regret selling anything in my current collection, but I have no space for all of them...just need a bigger house!

#38 3 years ago

I had it the first few I sold of selling my entire 12 pin collection. By the last one was not as big of a deal. And now that I am starting my collection up again I have found that excitement of the hunt for a new pin way exceeds the remorse of selling a current one and you can always require a pin like others have stated - as a matter of fact my new #1 is my old #12

#39 3 years ago

The right number of pins is always 1 more than you have!! I dont want to sell anymore. The cost to get them back is crazy these days. I have 3 more than I have actual space for in the gameroom. So, I have adopted the rotation system. When the gameroom needs something new, I rotate in a game from the storage room and fold something else up. That being said. The games I miss the most that I have sold off are EBD and Sopranos.

Mike

#40 3 years ago

I have been doing this crazy hobby since 94, I only ever regretted buying one games and selling one game. The one I sold I missed it right away, so much so I got another with in a couple of weeks. It is now bolted to the floor. So to answer your questions yep.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I end up with seller's remorse nearly ever time. I tend to get attached to things, which I know is completely irrational, yet it still happens. If I could, I would keep them all. But my reality right now is if I want something new, something usually has to go to help pay for it. I usually find some little flaw or quirk in the game to focus on and justify selling, only to regret it after a few months. I have bought games back a few times...in some cases even the exact same machine. It's a vicious cycle with me. Right now I am thinking of getting rid of one I already bought, sold, and bought back...and my likely replacement would also be a repeat. And the sad part is, I'm pretty sure at some point down the line I will miss this one again and be looking for another one. Terrible I tell you...terrible. LOL
I will say though, that is one of the beautiful things about this hobby. If you buy one you don't enjoy, or just need a change, you can sell pretty easily. If you regret a sale, you can always find another one. If you are smart about your buying and selling, you won't even lose much if any money doing so. So really, why not keep it fresh when the urge hits. For me the biggest regrets are probably the ones that I bought NIB that I know I will not be able to (reasonably) replace with another NIB. There is something a bit more special about the ones that were "all mine". But that is probably just another silly personal mindset.

Totally THIS. I have the same SILLY personal mindsets about things I have owned/own... its all in the mind. I have sold only three machines and honestly do not regret the transactions as each time has been an upgrade.

#42 3 years ago

FWIW if I find I am not playing a game (e.g. I have played it "enough") out it goes.

What is the worst case scenario? I pick it up again ; maybe pay less, maybe pay more? If I want it so bad to buy it again does it matter?

Realistically, either I want to keep a game until I die, or I want to play it to death, then move it on. And then do it again! The latter seems more fun. I tend to maybe buy/sell one game a year on average, so I am not some hyper trader.

But I am not a super hoarder either....

#43 3 years ago

I really regret selling the Dr. Who I had. I got it in a package deal with the intention to flip the Dr. Who since I thought I wouldn't have any attachment to the game. Turns out I really liked it, and I gave the buyer a nice deal on it too. Now I see what they are going for and have double regret!

#44 3 years ago

I haven't sold anything that I put a lot of work into yet. I imagine that will be hard. Only thing I currently have that I would even consider parting with is a beautiful Kings woodrail. Would have to be a trade for something I want more. But man, I'm sure that one would hurt.

#45 3 years ago

Havent sold any yet, but as long as I can find a place to play whatever I sold, I dont think there would be much regret.

#46 3 years ago

There all for sale! No personal attachment to any game ever except MMr LE. That game is what ignited my passion for pins as a teenager and i wouldnt have sold it if i didnt need money for down payment to buy a larger house for my family. Someday ill get another one...

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

There all for sale! No personal attachment to any game ever except MMr LE. That game is what ignited my passion for pins as a teenager and i wouldnt have sold it if i didnt need money for down payment to buy a larger house for my family. Someday ill get another one...

You couldnt sell your least favorite kid? Maybe your in-laws?

#48 3 years ago

For the longest time I thought I would never sell. Then I sold my first and man its awesome when a new pin comes in. I still think about it for a long time but once I decide it's time for a pin to go I have no regrets. Then it's all looking forward to what's coming next. I also find pins that are all dialed in and exactly how I want them kind of boring. I enjoy the fixing too much and they lose personality once there is nothing left to tinker with.

#49 3 years ago

I had trouble selling games at first, but a wise man once told me: "Sometimes it's nice seeing the hundreds come back into your hand".

#50 3 years ago

I’m not even a year into collecting machines so I haven’t yet experienced sellers remorse but I can understand it. Hot Wheels is easily my least favorite machine in my collection, like a 6/10 rating. For some reason odd reason I don’t see myself parting with it anytime soon, even tho no one in the house plays it much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seller-s-remorse?hl=guitarded and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.