Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bigehrl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I’d like to know if I’m being reasonable here.

Yesterday I sent a Pinsider an email in response to an ad for a game for sale. Well over a day later I have not received a response (yes, the seller had checked in since I sent the email).

As a buyer I am left hanging. The game may have been sold (although the ad is still up and there is no indication of a pending sale) or I may be down the line (I could be second or twentieth). Either way it would be good to know so I could move on to other opportunities.

Is it asking too much for some response from a seller within a day?

#2 3 years ago

Its reasonable that you get a response fairly quick no matter what. Just send something. "Hey thanks for reaching out but you are __ in line and it looks to be sold". "Hey I'm waiting to see what other offers I get....." I routinely get no response......

#3 3 years ago

It's usually the polite thing to do, but for one reason or another, it doesn't always happen. Sometimes a flood of responses can be overwhelming to deal with if you're not accustomed to it.

If the game was listed with a bargain price, I would probably consider the game gone and move on to other things.

#4 3 years ago

Happens all the time. Some folks are great about response time and keeping their ad updated, and others don’t give a shit. If you haven’t heard after a day or two, forget about it and keep on looking.

#5 3 years ago

Note: Messages that say "I would like to buy this game at your asking price, how can we make this happen?" are more likely than messages like "Do you still have it?" or "I'm interested, how long have you had the machine?" to be responded to quickly.

In any case, people do have lives, sometimes I won't get a message back for a few days. Beyond that I figure it's sold, the seller doesn't like me, or the seller has decided to keep it and I forget about it. Plenty of games out there.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Note: Messages that say "I would like to buy this game at your asking price, how can we make this happen?" are more likely than messages like "Do you still have it?" or "I'm interested, how long have you had the machine?" to be responded to quickly.
    In any case, people do have lives, sometimes I won't get a message back for a few days. Beyond that I figure it's sold, the seller doesn't like me, or the seller has decided to keep it and I forget about it. Plenty of games out there.

Agreed. Usually I ask about availability before moving into questions about condition and such but in the future will try to combine the two.

Looking back at my previous inquiries I found that in most cases I received a reply within a few hours whether it turned into a deal or not. When it turned out to be longer the seller usually had a good reason.

As you and others said there are other games out there. Time to move on.

#7 3 years ago

There was a Last Action Hero project listed here yesterday that I sent a PM on..... never heard anything, but saw the game on its way home later with its new owner in the "What did you bring home today" thread. I didn't think anything of it, because in my experience on here, if you don't get a response within the first 8 hours, the game is already sold.

Honestly, if the game wasn't sold, and the seller took more than 48 hours to get back to me on a listing that he/she listed, I most likely wouldn't be interested in the game at that point anyways. If you are actively selling a game, you should be actively responding to inquiries.

#8 3 years ago

Bottom line, a lot of people have no regard for anyone else but themselves.

#9 3 years ago

Sellers that doesn't reply "reasonably fast" is automatically abandoned in my book. I don't have time and energy for such hassle. Good communication is super important for a good deal.

#10 3 years ago

Please keep in mind that some, especially older folks, might only check messages once a day.
    And things might come up that delay that once in a while.
    Sometimes things can't be instant.
    Also, it looks like there is currently an issue with PM forwarding.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/microsoft-hosted-e-mail-problems-hotmail-live-outlook

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from schwism:

it would be good to know so I could move on to other opportunities.

You can move on whether you get a response or not. If you leave yourself hanging, waiting on another person to take action that’s your choice.

I’ve stopped making plans based on other people doing what seems reasonable because they are flaky most of the time.

One tactic I find helpful is make it clear in my message that my offer is time sensitive.
    ‘Hi, I’m want the table. If I hear back from you by Xxxx we’ll make a deal.’

But even that isn’t necessary. Sellers are dealing with flakes on their end too. Just move on and if you eventually get a response say no thanks.

#12 3 years ago

You guys gotta treat offers like a girl you matched with on tinder -- or for you older folks -- a girl you met at the malt shoppe:

Make a move, see what she does. If she's interested, she will get right back to you. If she's not interested, she'll either tell you or ignore you. She knows she's "all that". She knows she has the goods and is well aware that you're making a move. If you're a good catch, she'll let you know immediately. Her actions mean everything.

The seller saw your post and didn't respond? Move on.

PS: As a seller, I make sure I respond to each and every message when I can. But sometimes I get 25 responses in two hours and I sometimes lose track.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

But sometimes I get 25 responses in two hours and I sometimes lose track.

You sound hot. Which way do I swipe to buy games from you? LOLOL

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

You sound hot. Which way do I swipe to buy games from you? LOLOL

#15 3 years ago

Did you send him another message?

#16 3 years ago

Depends on the message and the sellers life I assume. I had a game listed for trade pretty recently and received a high volume of messages so I just was on the other side of this coin.

I listed what games and manufacturers I was interested in trading for, and specified I wasn't selling...lots of cash offers and trade offers for games/manufacturers I didn't have listed. I didn't want to ignore these, so had to spend time going through them all and saying thanks but no thanks.

Also got alot of messages with requests for more pictures, video, can I talk on the phone, etc. I work during the day, have a 4 year old, and we are working on a kitchen remodel currently. I tired to respond to these as best I could, but keep in mind people are asking me these questions before I even know what their offer is. Now I need to spend time doing all that before I even know if I'm going to be interested. Alot of those people will never respond again and are just picture collectors.

I list games on FB too to reach a larger audience. If you ever list games there you know they tend to get alot of interest. Now I've got messages from two places to respond to. If it's a weekend, chances are I'm not glued to my phone and out running errands, playing with the kid, etc. The people that I prioritized responding to were the ones that said "I have a game you are interested in trading for and I am interested in making a deal this weekend".

I'm not trying to frame this up as "poor me" but more that GENERALLY people are probably not ignoring you on purpose. They probably have stuff going on or just took the path of least resistance.

#17 3 years ago

people sell machines for an infinite variety of reasons and with an infinite range of motivation. your best bet to get a good game at a reasonable price that makes you feel satisfied after all is said and done, is to always have the mentality that if it happens, it happens. if it doesn't, it wasn't meant to be. life is long and full of plenty more opportunities that just haven't presented themselves to you yet. no need to rush or concern yourself with the one in front of you right now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seller-responsiveness-?hl=truthdivides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.