1A33D621-EE56-4EB2-A384-C03C5482E003 (resized).png
6f6.gif
giphy.gif
6F578A46-83D6-4B4E-8FCA-7A1F983613EC (resized).jpeg
C0FC58C2-C942-4E1A-818C-16BC41C67177.gif
i-have-seen-the-light-i-have-got-the-answer.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 333 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 2 years ago

Here’s the facts of the case.
The seller had no room for a game as he was moving and got ahold of a mutual friend who asked if I was interested. I said I was and he had his movers deliver it to me.
Last week before our ice storm up in the northeast I put the check in the mail. He reached out to me tonight saying he never got the check and now wants the game back.
He now says the money is not important, he wants it back as he now has the room.
Do I need to worry about this.
I sold two games to buy his.
Now what?

A2769B87-FDAF-40F8-8C3C-51ED2ABB5F84 (resized).jpegA2769B87-FDAF-40F8-8C3C-51ED2ABB5F84 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Here’s the facts of the case.
The seller had no room for a game as he was moving and got ahold of a mutual friend who asked if I was interested. I said I was and he had his movers deliver it to me.
Last week before our ice storm up in the northeast I put the check in the mail. He reached out to me tonight saying he never got the check and now wants the game back.
He now says the money is not important, he wants it back as he now has the room.
Do I need to worry about this.
I sold two games to buy his.
Now what?
[quoted image]

Does he really not have the check? Sounds a bit sketchy. Also we all sell things we regret selling. Lesson learned the hard way

#3 2 years ago

One last item. I checked my bank account and the check was not cashed. I originally asked to Zelle the payment and he declined.

#4 2 years ago

I wouldn't do anything until he hands you the check back. Then let him arrange to have the game picked up.

LTG : )

#5 2 years ago

I love the game and do not want to part with it

#6 2 years ago

Bunch of grown ass children!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

I checked my bank account and the check was not cashed.

If you consider putting a stop payment on it. Check for how long it is good for. I ran into this years ago on a lost check. The stop payment was only good for six months. The bank reassured me they wouldn't cash a stale dated check. I pointed out that they once cashed my pay stub and not the check.

They said if I was worried, I could stop payment again. A round $12 at that time. There was no way to make it permanent. I said I know a way. They asked wht ? I closed the account.

LTG : )

#8 2 years ago

I think deal is done, regardless if he hasn't cashed the cheque yet. They could easily have gotten it, but not deposited yet.

You sold 2 games to get this one. Unfair to you honestly.

#9 2 years ago

Keep the game, you both made a deal and agreed on the terms.

You sent him payment for the game.i would keep it.

I sold games i wish i never did...

#10 2 years ago

If the game is in your possession then it’s yours.

#11 2 years ago

Deal is done IMO. Oddest thing to me is he let you get the game w/o him having a cleared check in his bank account.

#12 2 years ago

Finders, keepers….

#13 2 years ago

Ask for more money to make it right as you have to buy back your two games or find another example. With the inflation of pins it wouldn't be untrue to say it's worth more now than what you paid a week ago

#14 2 years ago

Completely up to you .If it were me and the person was being sincere ,I’d probably give it back after the check was taken care of .If that person was “insisting” I give it back, I’d tell them to go pound it .

#15 2 years ago

Possession is 9/10’s as they say. He has remorse fine, but you sold 2 games to make this happen as well so tell him to put an egg in his shoe and beat it

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Possession is 9/10’s as they say. He has remorse fine, but you sold 2 games to make this happen as well so tell him to put an egg in his shoe and beat it

Lmao

#17 2 years ago

What game is it ?

#18 2 years ago

If it’s a Punchy ,we’re talking a whole new ballgame .

#19 2 years ago

The hardest part is that you sold two games to get this one so if you let him have the game back, you're now out two games. Granted, you have the money from the sale of the two games and you'll get the money back from the game you bought but if you don't have another game you'd want then you're really out 3 games (the 2 you sold and the one you're now being asked to give back). I think I'd tell him that you're sorry but you sold games to get this one and that you're going to keep it. If you ever get to the point where you want to sell it, you can check with him first to see if he wants to buy it back.

Seller's remorse is a tough lesson to learn but you're in the right to keep the game if you'd like.

#20 2 years ago

Up to you. The deal was done, and you lived up to your end of the deal.

#21 2 years ago

Easy. Tell him you’re happy to sell him the machine back for $xxxxx. Whatever your new sell price is.

Then if he agrees stop the check payment and collect the difference and give him the machine. If not he can cash the check and move on

#22 2 years ago

How where you able to take possession of a game and then mail a check? I’ll try that next time I buy a game. And get laughed off the internet. Hah.

#23 2 years ago

reply " i have already bought parts for the game knowing it was coming, I will gladly sell you back the game but you need to buy the parts as well as I have no other need for them"

#24 2 years ago

Keep the game, you did your part… If the check was really lost you can square things with him by sending another check, or ACH/wire…

#25 2 years ago

If he had my cash I wouldn’t worry about a thing.
If he does have my check in his possession and says he doesn’t, then that’s another thing

#26 2 years ago

And how do you know he just wasn't offered considerably more than you paid "in case the first buyer doesn't come thru", which is something you can't verify, only he can so it's yours, hell I had divorce remorse 3 times and wish I'd had my first wife back but none of my subsequent wives would let me get her back.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from tomtest:

And how do you know he just wasn't offered considerably more than you paid "in case the first buyer doesn't come thru", which is something you can't verify, only he can so it's yours, hell I had divorce remorse 3 times and wish I'd had my first wife back but none of my subsequent wives would let me get her back.

Amazing point

#28 2 years ago

It is 1000% what Tomtest said, do not give the game back!

#29 2 years ago

If you really want this game - Your dog In this fight is that you sold 2 of your games to procure this new one. Doubtful you could get both back now so you would then be at a loss. I’d go with that and say sorry bud, deal was made.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from tomtest:

THIS. Offer to sell it back for $3000 more

#31 2 years ago
6DEEB6FC-5A60-47CC-853D-AD7026E01AE2.jpeg6DEEB6FC-5A60-47CC-853D-AD7026E01AE2.jpeg
#32 2 years ago

This is a lot of drama over a $325 project Raven

#33 2 years ago

PM Sent. Protect your ass first.

#34 2 years ago

We need a really good I want my game back meme.

These guys and girls look like they want their game back. Sort of.

E8DE5DED-00FC-4C48-9CCD-3FBC254D44E6 (resized).jpegE8DE5DED-00FC-4C48-9CCD-3FBC254D44E6 (resized).jpeg
#35 2 years ago

I would be worried AF. Him saying he doesn’t have the check feels like a problem. I would be curious to what friengineers perspective is.

#36 2 years ago

Keep the game.
Extremely sketchy they MAY have payment and now want the game back too. Could be setting you up.

#37 2 years ago

Sucks for him

#38 2 years ago

I would bet he has the check already. Regardless you sold 2 machines so you could purchase this one. You are under absolutely no obligation to return the machine. He should have offered additional money to you for you to return it to him in his offer. Let alone the fact that you probably cant get your two machines back from whomever you sold them to.

#39 2 years ago

Deal is done. You’ve already sent the funds and currently have the game. I’d love to get back the games Ive sold. I sold a NIB JJP POTC for $10,500. Sure wish I could get that one back. Once it’s sold, no going back

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from tomtest:

hell I had divorce remorse 3 times and wish I'd had my first wife back but none of my subsequent wives would let me get her back.

Are we just gonna let this slide without one single wtf? Haha. I’ve read this sentence five times and it gets funnier every time.

#41 2 years ago

Here’s a story. OP ghosted me on a package deal right before the holidays years ago. Kind of totally ruined my entire holiday plan that year. Whatever. I wanted to go from a single pin to many pins. OP and I seemed to have a deal in place to do just that… and then he ghosted me. It was a lesson learned.

What did I learn from that…? Have cash on the F’ing glass. Nothing else matters. Now OP is wondering about checks and seller remorse and whatnot. Further solidifies my lesson learned. Cash on the glass or you’re playing games.

#42 2 years ago

Had a chance to make room before he moved.

He can go pound sand.

#43 2 years ago

Boggles my mind that people bring stuff like this here.

You really can’t figure out what to do on your own?

#44 2 years ago

Put the game on the marketplace for 25% more than you paid and send him the link

#45 2 years ago

He should take your payment plus the savings on not paying movers to return it and just buy another one. It’s a pinball machine not a personal heirloom. I may ask someone nicely to buy the game back but would never expect them to agree.

#46 2 years ago

Transaction is done. Period. You have the game and you sent the check.

#47 2 years ago

This isn’t a close call, legally speaking. There’s a contract in place. Even if you hadn’t sent the check his remedy is really to force you to pay the agreed-upon money (specific performance) or to sue to break the contract and return the machine for your failure to perform (replevin). Keep in mind that I do criminal law, not contracts, and law school was decades ago. But it’s really that clear cut in any jurisdiction I’ve heard of.

So legally the machine is yours to keep so long as you make the funds available to him as agreed. The question is whether you want to do that. Is there an impact on your reputation in a community that you care about? Are you impacting future business, sales, purchases, or relationships? In other words, is being right and winning a worse position for you than giving up the game? That’s a question that only you can answer.

It’s likely a small claims case, regardless. (Well, hopefully that’s true.). If you present these facts to a judge in a small claims court it should be a very straight forward issue for the judge to resolve.

(While I’m a lawyer, this is not legal advice. Consult with a lawyer versed in your jurisdiction’s law before you decide how to proceed, if you want a true legal opinion. But damn, this seems extremely straightforward to me as presented.)

Edit to add: A couple of points. 1) Your sale of two machines to buy this one is important. This is “detrimental reliance.” Meaning, you relied on the contract to make a move that is otherwise harmful to you. If you give him the game back and he gives you the check, everything is not “all fixed.” You’re still out those two games. That’s a big deal. 2) As others have said, you can sell it back to him for what you think it’s worth, not what you paid for it. It could be a loss to you, or a profit. But I believe it’s your machine to sell, not his to repossess. And 3) I wouldn’t worry too much about the fact that he has your check. If you give the machine back, put a stop payment on it and move on. If he were to cash that check that would be theft/embezzlement. Relatively easy to make him pay in civil or criminal courts (or both). Most folks don’t just default to pure theft. Guys with movers and multiple pinball machines are even less likely to do so (and easier to recover money from). It if you suspect he’s planning to take the machine and your money, keep the machine. At least until he produces the check.

#48 2 years ago

Dude will get over it.

EDIT: Or maybe not, but that's not your problem.

#49 2 years ago

it's a done deal. the game is yours

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Are we just gonna let this slide without one single wtf? Haha. I’ve read this sentence five times and it gets funnier every time.

I didn't know how to say that politely, but.... Yeah. Lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lyme, NH
Machine - For Sale
Winnipeg, MB
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 333 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seller-has-sellers-remorse-and-now-wants-his-game-back?hl=luzur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.