EMBYONJOHN ! HEAR ME NOW !
I work in heavy construction, a wretched hive of miserable blowhards and backstabbing scum. Picture sociopaths with engineering degrees, who take pride in being abrasive and aggressive. This little purse-swinging tiff that you're in is NOTHING, don't let it rattle you.
The seller is a complete tool and has no legal leg to stand on.
YOU HAVE MADE A LEGAL PURCHASE FROM THE SELLER.
HE GAVE YOU THE GAME ALREADY. (NOTE THE WORD "GAVE" IN THAT SENTENCE, PERCHANCE?)
You gave him payment.
THAT'S IT. THE DEAL IS OVER. You didn't "theoretically" buy the game. You legally purchased it.
He didn't AGREE to sell the game and then change his mind. He SOLD the game and then changed his mind.
Here's what you do:
If he says that he never received payment:
1. Send him an email stating that you sent him payment. But since the check seems to be lost, tell him that you will IMMEDIATELY CANCEL THE CHECK and issue him a NEW ONE, which you will send to him by REGISTERED MAIL.
2. Copy your friend on the email so the seller cannot claim he never got the email.
3. Cancel the old check and send a new check by Registered Mail. Registered USPS mail is the safest way to send mail, the CIA even uses it to send classified documents.
4. In your email, say that you have no intention of SELLING the game back to him. (Not "giving" it back to him.)
5. Tell him that if he wants to, you'll gladly meet him in court with your lawyer. DARE him to sue you. (He does not have a leg to stand on.)
6. Be aggressive. Tell the guy that's you've had enough of his BS and you'll chop the game up into firewood before you give it back. Make sure that he understands that you are hardnosed prick and he's going to get NOWHERE with this.
7. THE SELLER IS BEING AN *SSHOLE. YOU DON'T OWE HIM A THING. NOT EVEN POLITENESS AT THIS POINT. F*CK HIM, RIGHT IN HIS LITTLE F*CK FACE.
Stop worrying. The seller has made it plain to the world that he sold the game and changed his mind and now he's trying to wreck the sale. There is no judge in North America that would take his side.
Even if he has a lawyer send you a letter, all official-looking, tear it up and laugh in his face. People try to intimidate, but the law is the law.
Don't let people rattle you. They have no power over you that you don't have over them also.
Also, never forget this: ALWAYS CONDUCT BUSINESS IN A BUSINESS-LIKE MANNER. BECAUSE YOUR BEST FRIEND WILL TURN INTO AN ENEMY OVER MONEY.
Sometimes a guy will die without a will, and his family will be destroyed by the fighting over the estate. Literally never speak to each other again. All because the guy thought that his family of apple-cheeked, patriotic, agreeable, loving people would act like human beings to each other.
Meanwhile, a simple piece of paper dividing the estate up fairly would have left everyone happy and friends.
If you loan your brother money, get an IOU. Then everyone stays friends.
WHEN YOU PAY FOR SOMETHING USING THE MAIL, USE A TRACKING NUMBER AND A "SIGNATURE REQUIRED". It's worth the extra $7.00. Because people are d*cks.