1A33D621-EE56-4EB2-A384-C03C5482E003 (resized).png
6f6.gif
giphy.gif
6F578A46-83D6-4B4E-8FCA-7A1F983613EC (resized).jpeg
C0FC58C2-C942-4E1A-818C-16BC41C67177.gif
i-have-seen-the-light-i-have-got-the-answer.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 333 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Agree here. I haven't had to do it but am always prepared to leave with nothing.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-power-to-just-walk-away

#252 2 years ago

Embryonjohn, your buddy that was the intermediary - he didn't get all caught up in this, did he?

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Agree here. I haven't had to do it but am always prepared to leave with nothing.

Always keeping your expectations low helps! This becomes easier/more common as the years pass.

#254 2 years ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

I hate that shit.

That and when you sell a game for say $2,000 and offer $1950

Frankly I’d have more respect if they tried 1700 or 1800 and split the difference.

#255 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

That and when you sell a game for say $2,000 and offer $1950
Frankly I’d have more respect if they tried 1700 or 1800 and split the difference.

Read the book called “never split the difference”. It is an excellent guide for negotiations.

#256 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Embryonjohn, your buddy that was the intermediary - he didn't get all caught up in this, did he?

I’ll find out this evening.
Ugh…

#257 2 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Had a chance to make room before he moved.
He can go pound sand.

Nice NGG callout!

#258 2 years ago

What ended up happening?

#259 2 years ago

The suspense is killing me!

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Transactions can be weird sometimes. Had a game for 2600. Buyer came out happy with the condition. Says hell take it for 2600. I agree. He puts 100.00 deposit down payment.He comes back with a trailer. Looks at game closer and asks if I would take 2k for the game instead.
I told him no. He still took the game at 2600.
That was a first time I had someone try to negotiate a lower price after leaving a deposit.

Same BS happened to me. Listed a game here for $2500. Had multiple inquiries. 1st person asked my best price. $2500 I said, there are several after you. "OK, I'll take it". Buyer drove 5 hours one way to get it. Played multiple games, and said "exactly as I expected". "What's your best price?" Me thinking "WTF?". I told him it was $2500 or drive home. He paid, but I was shocked.

#261 2 years ago

Some people really get off on negotiating period.
Even if it’s for a small amount of money, it’s like they feel they’ve manipulated you and it gets em off.

#262 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Even if it’s for a small amount of money, it’s like they feel they’ve manipulated you and it gets em off.

Yup!

#263 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yep, I drove four hours to a guy's house one time to look at a game, saw some things that weren't disclosed and thought "what the f@#$ am I gonna do, drive four hours back home empty-handed?" If the problems had been major I guess I would have but I didn't even try to change the deal, maybe I should have but as you said, I have very little negotiating power at that point.

I actually did that with a couple cars. Pics on everything looked great. Got there and one car wasn’t even the car I was sent pics of. The other had undisclosed frame damage and body filler that could be identified through the “fresh paint.”I told the guy no deal after driving two hours with a stacker trailer and check in hand. Was so pissed at the audacity of the dude.

#264 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Well, I know I love negotiating, at least when it comes to cars and pinball machines. But it's not because I "get off" on manipulating the seller. It's because I pride myself on being an informed buyer, and I love getting the best deal possible.

I'm often amazed by the amount of money that people blow day in and day out, that they could save if they just did some research and practiced better decision-making.

That being said, I wouldn't ever try to price gouge a seller once the deal was made, unless something was really wrong with the machine that wasn't disclosed, or that was misrepresented.

#265 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

To me, people that try to renegotiate after they said "I'll take it" are douchebags. It's a dick move and shows you are someone I won't sell to again if that possibility ever happens.

#266 2 years ago

I always make sure price is agreed on before I go pick up something OR before someone comes over. Especially before I have someone come over to buy something. I’m a guy not a store. If we agree to 100, don’t offer me 99. If you don’t want it at 100 then no offense taken… but 99 isn’t gonna work.

I had someone buy a guitar from me for 6k. After they got it they complained it had more swirl marks than they wanted. They said that if I refunded 200 they would be satisfied. I told them to ship it back and I’d be happy to give them a full refund. They asked for 200 again and said that they had to put time into removing the swirls. I offered to take it back again. Didn’t see it again until they posted it for sale online for 3000 more than they paid. I didn’t care about the reselling…. But the trying to extract more $$$ from me wasn’t cool.

Time has value…. I try not to waste it. Hopefully people respect that concept mutually. But they don’t.

#267 2 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

To me, people that try to renegotiate after they said "I'll take it" are douchebags. It's a dick move and shows you are someone I won't sell to again if that possibility ever happens.

In some cases I won’t even sell to them when they do that. Price just went up. GTFO please…

#268 2 years ago

I had a guy agree on a price for a pin after seeing a zillion pics. I moved it out to the garage, set it up for him to play where he was comfortable (due to covid) and he came as scheduled. I spent about 45 minutes showing him all the improvements and letting him play. He said it was even nicer than he thought it would be and proceeded to offer 800 less than agreed upon price. He said that was all he had.
What a waste of both of our time. Had to move it back in, set it all up and try not to punch the wall.

#269 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I had a guy agree on a price for a pin after seeing a zillion pics. I moved it out to the garage, set it up for him to play where he was comfortable (due to covid) and he came as scheduled. I spent about 45 minutes showing him all the improvements and letting him play. He said it was even nicer than he thought it would be and proceeded to offer 800 less than agreed upon price. He said that was all he had.
What a waste of both of our time. Had to move it back in, set it all up and try not to punch the wall.

That sucks. Completely sucks. I only sold one in the garage during early covid. Luckily no issues, but it's crazy to think that I actually wore surgical gloves during a pinball sale.

#270 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

There is nothing more frustrating than that. I don’t know why people think they can get away with it. Somebody’s mother didn’t teach them how to be a good person.

On the other end of the spectrum, I had someone give me a deposit for a game to hold it for them. They decided they didn’t want it. I offered to give the deposit back but they insisted I keep it. That’s something I would do. I donated it to charity. Game sold full price 10 min later to the next one on the list.

#271 2 years ago
Quoted from jid:

Didn’t see it again until they posted it for sale online for 3000 more than they paid. I didn’t care about the reselling…. But the trying to extract more $$$ from me wasn’t cool.

I totally would've bombed that guy's email or phone number with messages pointing out that he wanted a refund, but he's willing to gouge the sh@)$&!t out of someone for more, just because he polished the f'ing thing? Literally this guy is the guitar equivalent of a snap-rag-flipper.

#272 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I'm surprised that you didn't punch him. Nevermind the wall.

#273 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Dun Dun Da-Today on Judge Judy...Guy sells rare pinball machine and has sellers remorse and does not want to cash the check.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Why is Jim Harbaugh on Judge Judy?!

ADB3FDD1-B196-4E41-BB42-D2E8804195C8 (resized).jpegADB3FDD1-B196-4E41-BB42-D2E8804195C8 (resized).jpeg
#274 2 years ago
Quoted from SketchyMcDuff:

Why is Jim Harbaugh on Judge Judy?![quoted image]

Evidently he wants his game back...

#275 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Evidently he wants his game back...

Or he is trying to claim a super bowl ring he bought at a pawn shop……

#276 2 years ago

Whenever you send a check, make sure you have tracking on it.

#277 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Whenever you send a check, make sure you have tracking on it.

And never send it USPS...even with priority and tracking. No BS: My "priority" LZ deposit check took two weeks to get to my distro, so I had to send another one FedEx, which was tracked and got there in 2 days. Exact same thing just happened to my friend on a Rush deposit check. In both cases, FedEx lapped USPS, even with a two-week head start. USPS is pretty useless now, and any other service is worth the extra $10-$20 for peace of mind.

#278 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And never send it USPS...even with priority and tracking. No BS: My "priority" LZ deposit check took two weeks to get to my distro, so I had to send another one FedEx, which was tracked and got there in 2 days. Exact same thing just happened to my friend on a Rush deposit check. In both cases, FedEx lapped USPS, even with a two-week head start. USPS is pretty useless now, and any other service is worth the extra $10-$20 for peace of mind.

That's funny as FedEx usually sends things thru USPS

#279 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Oh man is that brutal. My wife wonders why I drag my feet selling games sometimes and this is why. I get anxious if I hit some traffic and am 15 minutes late going to pick up a game. I just can’t imagine ever stringing someone along or tire kicking, much less doing something like this. So listing a game and wading through all the bullshit is my least favorite part of this hobby by a mile.

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

That's funny as FedEx usually sends things thru USPS

Not when you pay for FedEx to take it on their trucks. That's the cheap ass option when they hand it off. And aren't you thinking of UPS Smartpost?

#281 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not when you pay for FedEx to take it on their trucks. That's the cheap ass option when they hand it off. And aren't you thinking of UPS Smartpost?

FedEx does SmartPost, too. And it suuuuucks. 10 days to make the handoff and for tracking to pick up from FedEx to USPS. It would be faster to send it by paper plane.

#282 2 years ago

Not a pinball story, but I went to buy a 10 year old BMW convertible advertised in “excellent” condition.

I go to test drive it and the first thing I check was the powered top. The owner asks me what I was doing because it’s raining out. I said, it’s a convertible, I’m testing it. Long story short, neither owner could get get the top to open or close. Other then this problem, the car was fine, but even if the top worked it wasn’t in “excellent” condition. It had some door dings and stuffs that could be easily fixed. I was like whatever, it’s a 10 year old car. Anyway, the owner said he would have his mechanic fix the top and I agreed to purchase the car contingent on the top being fixed. He said no problem give me until the end of the week.

I left a $500 deposit. The week goes by and I didn’t hear a peep. When our agreed upon date arrived, I said I was going to the bank to get the check and asked if he had the top fixed.

He said, “no, he wasn’t fixing it because there’s nothing wrong with the car and it’s in “excellent” condition.”

I was like WTF, but I didn’t really say anything or argue. I said ok, I’m canceling my check. His response was he’s keeping it because he held the car all week and someone else wanted it after I put a deposit down.

I’m like bro, there are so many things wrong here. 1. You’re advertising a 10 year old convertible as “excellent” condition, but the power top is DEAD. How is that in excellent condition? 2. You’re trying to say the car runs fine, but I consider the power top a significant mechanical component on a convertible! 3. If you look up “excellent” condition on any car buying site, your car doesn’t fit into this category. 4. Hell, it’s not even “very good” condition.

He doubled down and didn’t even want to have his mechanic look at it to see if it’s a simple fix.

He ended up saying he would sell it to the other couple because they really wanted it. I said great, I hope you’re more honest with them then you were with me and disclose to them that the top doesn’t work. After all you advertise and continue to claim there’s nothing wrong and the car and it’s in “excellent”condition.

I canceled the check which was good for a year and never heard about it again.

This happened 4 years ago and it still fires me up when I think about it. What the hell is wrong with people?!?!?

#283 2 years ago

As much as I like reading peoples stories and leaning from their experiences…

Am sure I am not the only one here that likes to read how the story of the OP of this topic ( embryonjohn ) ended.

#284 2 years ago

I have nothing to report. Every morning I check to see if the check has been cashed and it hasn’t. I’m just waiting for this to end.

#285 2 years ago

Turn the tables …..Cancel check and show up by his place with a routed Thunderbirds and demand 500 for your troubles .

#286 2 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

I have nothing to report. Every morning I check to see if the check has been cashed and it hasn’t. I’m just waiting for this to end.

Has your mutual friend/acquaintance chimed in with any advice?

#287 2 years ago

A routed Thunderbirds ! Hahaha.

#288 2 years ago
Quoted from jid:

On the other end of the spectrum, I had someone give me a deposit for a game to hold it for them. They decided they didn’t want it. I offered to give the deposit back but they insisted I keep it.

That's what I do as a buyer. I've bought several games a long distance away, 5 or 6 hour drives one way, that I couldn't go pick up immediately, maybe because it was the middle of the workweek or something. I'll send a deposit of a hundred bucks or so and tell them if for any reason I change my mind they can keep it. I've never not bought the game.

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

A routed Thunderbirds ! Hahaha.

Q: What's the difference between a routed Thunderbirds and a NIB Thunderbirds?

A: About 5 plays

#290 2 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

It has ended. He basically said "ok" and don't cash the check. Means "when he gets it" (more like gets around to it) he will cash it. Or, he will contact you and ask for another one. Maybe he is just delaying while he lays in the fetal position crying about his game.

#291 2 years ago

What was the game?

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

What was the game?

Scroll through the thread or go through image gallery at the top of every page.

LTG : )

#293 2 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

What was the game?

Williams Official Baseball pitch and bat.

#294 2 years ago

May I just say that this is the first time I've posted in this thread?

/faved

#295 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Q: What's the difference between a routed Thunderbirds and a NIB Thunderbirds?
A: About 5 plays

The one at PHOF gets lots of morbid curiousity plays.

#296 2 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Please don't leave us hanging like so many reddit "I found a safe" threads.

#297 2 years ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

Please don't leave us hanging like so many reddit "I found a safe" threads.

The third party “always knew him to be a little strange”’and didn’t care.
As of tonight the 6k check still isn’t cashed.
I check every evening to see if he deposited it cause I need the is closed out too.
Thanks for the interest and support.

#298 2 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

This must be how you feel cause that's how I'd feel.

QSS

#299 2 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

The third party “always knew him to be a little strange”’and didn’t care.
As of tonight the 6k check still isn’t cashed.
I check every evening to see if he deposited it cause I need the is closed out too.
Thanks for the interest and support.

Can you close out that bank account?

#300 2 years ago
Quoted from jid:

Can you close out that bank account?

Why would he do that? He owes the guy the money.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lyme, NH
$ 8.95
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
Cabinet parts
$ 7.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Unisex
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 333 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seller-has-sellers-remorse-and-now-wants-his-game-back/page/6?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.