2B368B15-24D5-4C81-9FBB-913C6DC86472 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20210618-175149.png
Screenshot_20210618-162847.png
Screenshot_20210618-163408.png
Screenshot_20210618-155227.png
Screenshot_20210618-153043.png
77d5318b905cbfe802cafa46d0cd493e (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210618-145458.png

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 2 years ago

Hey folks need some input form you all. I recently posted a wanted ad on pinside for a Williams Indy. Someone reached out to me via my email not through the typical channel which is the pinside webmail.

First, have no clue how the seller got my actual email, second this seller is not on pinside.

Indy has been restored and the guy is asking 7500 which sets off alarm bells right there. The game from the photos looks like it’s barely been played post restore.

I talked to him on the phone and he sounds portugués has very broken English. According to his email and him, his name is Charles?

So…why I’m hesitant… I got scammed for 3k on a T2 two years ago and this is like deja vu. Started almost identical. The guy was good, created a proxy website made to look like a shipping site, photoshopped his passport, the whole 9 yards

Anyway, I noticed in the pics he had a SDTM shirt in the background when I asked if he followed them he just said yes… I ask what do you like about them? Response “oh I just kinda follow.” These responses are very short and do not elaborate at all.

The ringer he said he will not deal with PayPal. My response to that was I will only do the deal through PayPal because there is no way for me to validate any of his transaction history because he’s not on pinside or anywhere else online, this i get no buyer protection at all.

Lastly when I asked him who restored it he said he did not know and the previous buyer restored it. However there’s a big sticker on the lock down bar that says Pinball barn. Upon googling I come up with a domain that no longer has a site that was run by Dan Heatherly??

Attached some pics. Sounds too good to be true and my spidy sense tells me
This is a hoax.
0DD0DBE8-D333-4FB2-8F70-99B3AC9B6410 (resized).jpeg0DD0DBE8-D333-4FB2-8F70-99B3AC9B6410 (resized).jpeg2B305190-DD8B-45C2-BFD6-6C877350C9BE (resized).jpeg2B305190-DD8B-45C2-BFD6-6C877350C9BE (resized).jpeg2CB29C13-09D6-497A-9484-B2116A6C059F (resized).jpeg2CB29C13-09D6-497A-9484-B2116A6C059F (resized).jpeg79B8C1AD-940C-4C72-BB73-49077ACEE960 (resized).jpeg79B8C1AD-940C-4C72-BB73-49077ACEE960 (resized).jpeg91E662D9-CE86-40E6-97D9-794D3821D648 (resized).jpeg91E662D9-CE86-40E6-97D9-794D3821D648 (resized).jpegA06E3AEC-BA25-4F90-B3CA-132ECD550559 (resized).jpegA06E3AEC-BA25-4F90-B3CA-132ECD550559 (resized).jpegA80B278A-1CEA-4BB9-84DC-CC58F123EF8A (resized).jpegA80B278A-1CEA-4BB9-84DC-CC58F123EF8A (resized).jpegF36D504D-C166-4E6E-A038-D2F98D59A4F7 (resized).jpegF36D504D-C166-4E6E-A038-D2F98D59A4F7 (resized).jpegFE2F29E7-CFF3-4259-9037-7964B8DE2863 (resized).jpegFE2F29E7-CFF3-4259-9037-7964B8DE2863 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

Listen to your gut feeling...

#3 2 years ago

Im local to you and I would pass unless its a well known member here or a local with cash on the glass. Where theres smoke theres fire. Be patient run ads on pinside, cl and Facebook groups reach out to pinball league members. I know you can restore the shit out of pins. Be patient you will find the right one for you.
Harley D.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Hey folks need some input form you all. I recently posted a wanted ad on pinside for a Williams Indy. Someone reached out to me via my email not through the typical channel which is the pinside webmail.
First, have no clue how the seller got my actual email, second this seller is not on pinside.
Indy has been restored and the guy is asking 7500 which sets off alarm bells right there. The game from the photos looks like it’s barely been played post restore.
I talked to him on the phone and he sounds portugués has very broken English. According to his email and him, his name is Charles?
So…why I’m hesitant… I got scammed for 3k on a T2 two years ago and this is like deja vu. Started almost identical. The guy was good, created a proxy website made to look like a shipping site, photoshopped his passport, the whole 9 yards
Anyway, I noticed in the pics he had a SDTM shirt in the background when I asked if he followed them he just said yes… I ask what do you like about them? Response “oh I just kinda follow.” These responses are very short and do not elaborate at all.
The ringer he said he will not deal with PayPal. My response to that was I will only do the deal through PayPal because there is no way for me to validate any of his transaction history because he’s not on pinside or anywhere else online, this i get no buyer protection at all.
Lastly when I asked him who restored it he said he did not know and the previous buyer restored it. However there’s a big sticker on the lock down bar that says Pinball barn. Upon googling I come up with a domain that no longer has a site that was run by Dan Heatherly??
This is a hoax.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Tell him to kindly go fornicate with a cactus. He’s a scammer. Even if he’s NOT a scammer why would anyone legit be so damn fishy?

There are thousands of Indy’s out there. You don’t need the one from some weirdo scammer who knows nothing.

IF IT DOESN’T SEEM LEGIT WHY JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TRYING TO FIND ONE SPECK OF REASON TO BELIEVE HIM?

This mindset is baffling.

#5 2 years ago

I voted scammer. Sounds sketchy as shit.

#6 2 years ago

Seriously you are asking - IJ - for $7500 and you wonder if it’s a scam?

Price alone tells you it is…

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Seriously you are asking - IJ - for $7500 and you wonder if it’s a scam?
Price alone tells you it is…

Oh - color DMD, powder coated, spotless and it would go for $7500 and he reached out to you privately.

Don’t mean to be mean…IJ in the marketplace right now is listed over $11k

#8 2 years ago

Should have asked him which one he liked better: Pete or Rob.

#9 2 years ago

Not worth getting f'ckd.

There is a T-shirt on a mannequin thing, you should ask him what that is all about... LOL

#10 2 years ago

Totally legit dude buy with confidence

#11 2 years ago

So you didn't ask him how he got your email?

That would be my first question.

#12 2 years ago

Hahaha thanks for the responses ya’ll def gave me a laugh. Look I’m 99% sure it’s a scam just wanted to share and see what people thought. And yes as I said… 7500 for a restored Indy - RED FLAG. The part I didn’t mention… when I asked him where he came to that price “oh I just look at pinside median price”… my response “and you feel you game is of median quality? Look man this game is worth way more if it is what you say it is… hahaha he was stumped

#13 2 years ago

This is a hoax.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

On french forum I’ve heard some scams from there or sometimes, the pin was not as described at all kind of things. You are so far away from the seller, I would take the risk if I were you.

#14 2 years ago

I got scammed for 3k on a T2 two years ago

Because of this you shouldn’t have even had to start this thread. Run away.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Tell him to kindly go fornicate with a cactus. He’s a scammer. Even if he’s NOT a scammer why would anyone legit be so damn fishy?
There are thousands of Indy’s out there. You don’t need the one from some weirdo scammer who knows nothing.
IF IT DOESN’T SEEM LEGIT WHY JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TRYING TO FIND ONE SPECK OF REASON TO BELIEVE HIM?
This mindset is baffling.

People - even people who have already lost thousands in scams - somehow want to believe that someone is going to sell them a restored Indy worth north of $10K for $7500. There's zero percent chance that would ever happen.

#16 2 years ago

Ask for a pic of the machine with a post it note with their name on it + todays date etc. They wont be able to do it and will have an excuse why like "oh i'm travelling at the moment"

#17 2 years ago

yeah; trust your gut.
But if you really want the final answer; tell him you want it... but you want to pay cash on inspection.
My gut tells me he'll run or make excuses that he's out on a business trip and his friend his holding it for shipping or some such bs.

#18 2 years ago

Total scam! Here’s what I would do.. the next time you talk to him on the phone talk real quiet so that you know he’s listening very carefully and then blast a boat horn like this into his ear and hang up on him.

DC72F4EC-E0B9-41C0-8CA9-72CC39E76C1F (resized).jpegDC72F4EC-E0B9-41C0-8CA9-72CC39E76C1F (resized).jpeg

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

yeah; trust your gut.
But if you really want the final answer; tell him you want it... but you want to pay cash on inspection.
My gut tells me he'll run or make excuses that he's out on a business trip and his friend his holding it for shipping or some such bs.

^this^

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Ask for a pic of the machine with a post it note with their name on it + todays date etc. They wont be able to do it and will have an excuse why like "oh i'm travelling at the moment"

I know someone that is a genius with photoshop and would laugh at that request because it's too easy.
Take a live video with yourself around the machine explaining, showing condition and playing it...now that is hard to fake.
-Mike

#21 2 years ago

Scam- but, where is game?
Tell him your brother lives nearby and will come pay cash and get it.
One of us would do it for you. I would do it for you for free.

#22 2 years ago

Hahaha thanks for the responses ya’ll def gave me a laugh. Look I’m 99% sure it’s a scam just wanted to share and see what people thought. And yes as I said… 7500 for a restored Indy - RED FLAG. The part I didn’t mention… when I asked him where he came to that price “oh I just look at pinside median price”… my response “and you feel you game is of median quality? Look man this game is worth way more if it is what you say it is… hahaha he was stumped

99% sure?

dumb-and-dumber-theres-a-chance-gif (1).gifdumb-and-dumber-theres-a-chance-gif (1).gif
#23 2 years ago

He just sent me a video… still am yet to see a photo of his ID

#24 2 years ago

He just sent me a video…

Yes, please!

#25 2 years ago

Total scam.

The serial number is visible. Good ol' IPSND to the rescue: http://ipsnd.net/details.aspx?id=63758

Which led to stolen photos from here: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/87969

Case closed.

It's a near certainly that since a scammer was successful with you once before, they will keep trying to specifically target you--either the same scammer as before, or members of his group (scammers are rarely solo actors these days). You will likely be contacted periodically for the next several years, so keep your guard up. It might also be wise to change your contact info since you're now on a "list". I wouldn't be surprised if there's a profile in place about you and notes on what made the scam work on you.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Total scam.
The serial number is visible. Good ol' IPSND to the rescue: http://ipsnd.net/details.aspx?id=63758
Which led to stolen photos from here: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/87969
Case closed.
It's a near certainly that since a scammer was successful with you once before, they will keep trying to specifically target you--either the same scammer as before, or members of his group (scammers are rarely solo actors these days). You will likely be contacted periodically for the next several years, so keep your guard up. It might also be wise to change your contact info since you're now on a "list". I wouldn't be surprised if there's a profile in place about you and notes on what made the scam work on you.

1RUP.gif1RUP.gif
#27 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Total scam.
Case closed.

It's odd because I did a reverse image search on tinyeye.com and nothing came back.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

It's odd because I did a reverse image search on tinyeye.com and nothing came back.

Image databases hoover up a good deal of data, but for whatever reason, don't manage to grab everything. I'd guess only the popular stuff that is above a certain threshold gets indexed.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Image databases hoover up a good deal of data, but for whatever reason, don't manage to grab everything. I'd guess only the popular stuff that is above a certain threshold gets indexed.

or pinside's gallery methodology prevents effective indexing?

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

or pinside's gallery methodology prevents effective indexing?

Maybe--although I think I've gotten some image matches before.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe--although I think I've gotten some image matches before.

I have before as well. But this was before pinside went down a while back.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I have before as well. But this was before pinside went down a while back.

That's not it. I think I have an inkling of what it might be, but I'm not going to help teach the scammer by spelling it out.

#33 2 years ago

I won't say the one cliche' but will say the other. Cash is king and buy in person.

#34 2 years ago

Damned fine detective work there, @ForceFlow.

#35 2 years ago

Intertaining to read these threads but I gotta say, every time — if you have a thought of ‘should I make a thread to get opinions of if x sale is scam??’ 100% of the time the answer is yes, it’s a scam.

I appreciate the OP pretty much recognized this from his first post on this one. Interesting what forceflow says about getting put on a list. Seems like the scammers are on Pinside but now don’t advertise it because they’ll get flagged a scam? Better to keep doing it from a bunch of burner emails and keep the Pinside account low key just to pull photos and look at wanted ads. For sure if they linked your as to your email, there’s a profile for u of sone sort.

#36 2 years ago

When in doubt, don’t.

#37 2 years ago

ForceFlow amazing reconnaissance work sir! Wish there was a way to nail this turd burglar? So he doesn’t do this to someone else. As I said this was all too common. Also To some of you on this thread - I am not a completely nieve moron here - I was fairly confident this was a no go but wanted to share it. However criticism goes no where. Im thank for for you that added to the conversation and didn’t just bash me.

Here is the email he used: [email protected]
Name he Used: Charles Hings
Phone Number used: 321-273-8131

Maybe we should all text him lol

#38 2 years ago

That glossy shooter lane is worth $7,500 on its own.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Total scam.
Case closed.

Which also means this scammer is fully targeting pinside. I’m not sure I can say what I want to say without moderation.

#40 2 years ago

Also To some of you on this thread - I am not a completely nieve moron here

Your not but three (3) pinsiders did think this “Is this a possible legit seller”. Case Closed!

#41 2 years ago

That pin is prob worth 15k in this market.

If it’s too good to be true, don’t even give it a 2nd thought.

Only buy from established retailers or dealers and established pinsiders, this site has been going now for close to 10 years, so there is lots of data to go off of.

Getting scammed buying a pin or arcade cab sucks, most long term collectors have had it happen to them at some point in time.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from koops:

That sounds pretty trivial to photoshop though.

A friend of mine encountered someone trying to sell a Matrix, they did a videocall asking them to show different features, but the video was just a static photo and the scammer acted dumb on why he wasn't able to move the camera. Funny stuff.

#43 2 years ago

When I purchase long distance any longer now. I like to do facetime as it shows me the machine in question. It helps me, one to see the machine in operation and that they are a REAL seller!

#44 2 years ago

I texted him. No response yet. Would love to string him along and waste his time

#45 2 years ago

ForceFlow amazing reconnaissance work sir! Wish there was a way to nail this turd burglar? So he doesn’t do this to someone else. As I said this was all too common. Also To some of you on this thread - I am not a completely nieve moron here - I was fairly confident this was a no go but wanted to share it. However criticism goes no where. Im thank for for you that added to the conversation and didn’t just bash me.

No offense, but if you got scammed once, why would you even consider purchasing from any other than in person or a 100% trusted seller?

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

No offense, but if you got scammed once, why would you even consider purchasing from any other than in person or a 100% trusted seller?

Fool me once.........

#47 2 years ago

thank you for shining a light on this guy and tactic

#48 2 years ago

also hes not getting a text from me or email why give out a way to reach you

#49 2 years ago

Is it just me or is the scamming going up considerably? I mean I know the warnings on Mr pinball have been up for what seems like 30 years but maybe it’s that, plus an increase in demand via new faces?

#50 2 years ago

Sounds like a scam, but one way to flesh it out would be to ask for a pic of something not shown. Or ask for a pic that shows something proving it's current/real. If he balks then it is for sure BS

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 49.99
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 63.95
$ 85.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, OH
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
14,000 (OBO)
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seller-check-possible-scam-?hl=freddykaboodle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.