Topic poll

“lotr or GoT”

• lotr 69 votes
    82%
  • GoT 15 votes
    18%

(84 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

Just looking for some advice. Small collection like lotr just im not that good to ever see end game on this machine. Wondering what they get for a pro GoT and if i should fund it with my lotr?

#2 8 years ago

Hell no! Don't sell LOTR to buy a GOT PRO. What the hell are you thinking?

#3 8 years ago

Get rid of jp and save up the rest? Definitely keep lotr as its loaded compared to got

#4 8 years ago

you should be able to trade a LOTR plus get some cash on top of it for GOT. But you are going to get 10X's more game out of LOTR than you will out of GOT.

I wouldn't even trade JP for GOT. JP is a better game as well.

#5 8 years ago

I only played GoT at expo this year did enjoy it but also dont have much time on it as well.

#6 8 years ago

That would be a big mistake.

#7 8 years ago

Don't do this. No.

#8 8 years ago

You guys speaking from experience with GoT?

#9 8 years ago

don't do it.... got is too new of a pin, too new on code, too many ?? factors.

lotr is top 5 stern of all time.... keep it!

#10 8 years ago

LOTR is a polished machine. Now is not the time IMO.

#11 8 years ago

I would wait and see before doing this. GOT is going to be around for awhile

#12 8 years ago

First thought would be - keep the LOTR, because it is an awesome machine... BUT it is also only just a machine.
If you have enough mileage on this, then maybe it is time to move forward and go for the next one. Why not GOT?

If you get a good price for your LOTR, you should be able to get a LOTR back again. But it is also sure that if you buy a NIB Pro, you will instantly lose some hundreds bucks just by opening the box.

If your LOTR is in an extraordinary condition which will be hard to find later, then you have to be sure you won't miss this gem. Everything else is just a matter of a reasonable deal. Good luck!

My collection has quite a "flow-rate" - I enjoy having something different - new challenges to be mastered
And sometimes they come back - it is also nice to welcome an "old friend" back again...

#13 8 years ago

Is space an issue? Get both!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

You guys speaking from experience with GoT?

I am. I played the shit out of GOT at expo. and I own LOTR and have owned several JP's.

#15 8 years ago

Joe you can come over one of these days and try my LE and see if you like it. The gameplay is different but similar

#17 8 years ago

Here's the problem with lotr. It's one of the best pins all time; however, the replay ability is low after owning it for a long period of time. At that point, it becomes a novelty collector item. So if you have endless space and funds, keep the lotr. If you've done all there is to do in lotr (except maybe valinor), then it might be time to move on.

I owned lotr for 6 years. The last couple years it was only played by guests and maybe once a month by me. When I sold it, I got depressed and missed it. I picked up an LE a couple years later and was ecstatic! ....until a week later. It was like yup, done all this before and still got it mastered for the most part. Opened the outlanes, put it on 2-ball, limited EBs and I was still having long games.

So once you beat the legend of Zelda, there's really no need to play it again except for the novelty and even then you'll get bored to death so eventually even the best story mode based pinball of all time grows tiresome and time to move on.

I prefer fast games, maybe not fast ball times, but fast action games. And GOT looks to be in that category. So if your tired of lotr, I say go for it. But play the pro and LE first and decide what you like cause those 2 models are so different from each other but get great reviews on both.

#18 8 years ago

I think LOTR has great longterm playability because it's damn near impossible to get to the ending. So you keep striving to try and see the ending. I've had mine since 2007 and I have yet to see it. I keep it on 3 balls, no extra balls for specials or score. And only extra ball given for tower prize or elf gift.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think LOTR has great longterm playability because it's damn near impossible to get to the ending. So you keep striving to try and see the ending. I've had mine since 2007 and I have yet to see it. I keep it on 3 balls, no extra balls for specials or score. And only extra ball given for tower prize or elf gift.

And how often do you play it? Like I said in my post, at some point this pin becomes more of a novelty collector classic than a pin worth having in a small lineup. You have a large lineup so selling lotr for a new faster non classic is probably not worth it.

#20 8 years ago

i probably play it more than any other game. Great game for single player but not so good for groups.

#21 8 years ago

Thanks Tom, wouldnt mind taking you up on that offer after holidays. Eskaybee very well put sir you about said it how I feel. Ty everyone for input so far.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Here's the problem with lotr. It's one of the best pins all time; however, the replay ability is low after owning it for a long period of time. At that point, it becomes a novelty collector item. So if you have endless space and funds, keep the lotr. If you've done all there is to do in lotr (except maybe valinor), then it might be time to move on.
I owned lotr for 6 years. The last couple years it was only played by guests and maybe once a month by me. When I sold it, I got depressed and missed it. I picked up an LE a couple years later and was ecstatic! ....until a week later. It was like yup, done all this before and still got it mastered for the most part. Opened the outlanes, put it on 2-ball, limited EBs and I was still having long games.
So once you beat the legend of Zelda, there's really no need to play it again except for the novelty and even then you'll get bored to death so eventually even the best story mode based pinball of all time grows tiresome and time to move on.
I prefer fast games, maybe not fast ball times, but fast action games. And GOT looks to be in that category. So if your tired of lotr, I say go for it. But play the pro and LE first and decide what you like cause those 2 models are so different from each other but get great reviews on both.

As they say, "Ignorance is bliss" I'm not a tournament player or even a very good player so I can play my LOTR over and over and over again. But yeah, sure mine has sat for a month or two between games. Other times I'm playing everyday.

#23 8 years ago

Thank you for that above post, eskaybee! Well put!

I think he highlighted the key here: the op has a small collection. He's been playing LotR with the choice of 2 other pins, not 30+ if Neo's or arcademojo's collections are accurately counted here on pinside. I tend to view pins as being similar to video games, as eskaybee referenced above. Op never made it all the way to the final stages of the game, but few ever do, as Neo pointed out. That type of epic quest is very appealing to *me*, and that's the reason I've begun considering GoT myself (and for a while was interested in getting an LotR but eventually moved on). I figure GoT has a lot of potential, and many love it even as it is. But as the code gets its updating and streamlining, i have a feeling this one could be something special. It's got the same programmer that turned ST into a much more enjoyable game (according to many here on pinside)--but with GoT, he's doing the code from scratch--this time it's *his* game (as far as i know, please correct me if I'm wrong). The layout may not be all that exciting to some, but it seems to be a proven strategy for Steve Ritchie--lots of flow, yagov kickback (or something similar, afaik) loops, ramps...i don't know if op is a fan of Steve Ritchie games or the GoT TV series/books but as a fan of both, I'm already sold on getting a pro (which would be my first ever NIB game... Just getting the funds and nerve together to take the plunge).

As we all inevitably experience with our games sooner or later, the challenge gets old whether you've conquered it or not. GoT offers a lot of interesting choices, allowing the game to be played a variety of ways. And as i said above, it seems as the code tightens up and gets its polish, this could potentially have a very high level of playability, as a LotR boasts with it's epic challenges. At very least, it would offer "newness" to the op--to shake up the collection a bit. As another post above noted however, op may not be able to get back such a nice example LotR as easily if they change their mind down the road. Certainly worthy of consideration. But if the op feels like their small collection has stagnated a bit, as i sometimes feel mine has, why not try something new? Plus if they get GoT soon, they can experience the rollercoaster of emotions as they experience the game amid the early adopters... Code updates, bugs and odd problems discovered/fixed, mods produced, watching the game evolve. That's a big part of what interests me, personally.

Please let us know what you decide to do, op.

#24 8 years ago

Okay...I own both (an LOTR and GOT LE). I wouldn't sell my LOTR, even for a GOT LE. They're both great games, but both SO different that I think you would miss LOTR no matter how much you loved GOT. Plus, the code is still in development for GOT so we don't really know how it'll all shake out at the end. Wait for a while. If GOT LE turns out to be viewed as a great game, you should be able to sell your LOTR and buy a used one for only a bit more cash down the road.

#25 8 years ago

OP: you sold a StarTrek?
Cause that's the closest title I can think of when comparing any pin to GoT.

#26 8 years ago

I also own both. And the LOTR is actually my second (it was gone about two years). I've only played about 10 games on my GOT (and about 25 times on location), so this is really a sparse opinion.

I wouldn't trade out my LOTR for GOT. I like GOT so far, but LOTR is a fine wine. LOTR is an exquisitely programmed gem of a game. Right now I'm working on finishing modes. I love DTR and the rush that goes with finishing it. And I'm even up to the occasional finishing of a Multiball.

That being said, someday it will get old for me. The modes won't thrill and I'll be bored with it. If you are at that point, move it and get GOT.

I have really high hopes for GOT. That's why I bought it. I dig the adventure aspect of it, and the ruleset was fun to me. I'm not sure if it will ever be a classic, but I already know LOTR is. I'd wait a bit before swapping them.

#27 8 years ago

Keep LOTR, sell High Speed and get GOT.

#28 8 years ago

I could NEVER sell LOTR

Questions like yours should result in a thread eject

The only people voting GOT are folks who want to buy your LOTR lol

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I could NEVER sell LOTR
Questions like yours should result in a thread eject
The only people voting GOT are folks who want to buy your LOTR lol

You said it buddy!!! Someday I will also own a GOT but not by selling my LOTR.

#30 8 years ago

After spending a few days on GOT pro I would say hell no.

The cheapest and ugliest game Stern has ever built. Shame too cause there was so much potential from the theme.

LOTR is one of Stern's best. If you're tired of it, trade it toward anything other than GOT.

#31 8 years ago

It all depends on how you like to play pinball. I had LOTR for about a year, played it a ton, but as time went on I realized I am not a fan of the long ball times. I wanted something brutal and fast. I have replaced it with an ironman and GoT. Life is too short, there are too many pins out there, so get what you want, play it, then move to the next! Only indy 500 and shadow will stay forever at my house.

#32 8 years ago

Normally I'd say hell no, but if you've played LOTR a bunch and grown tired of it, that changes things.
Guy above me is right--life is too short and there are a ton of titles.

For someone who has owned a bunch of titles but never either of these, I say no:
LOTR is utterly unique and gorgeous.
GOT is good, but not in the same class IMHO.

#33 8 years ago

Crazy talk!!!!!!

#34 8 years ago

Thanks alot guys yeah was just looking to shake up collection. But maybe ill try to dump JP and high speed and go for something else. Thanks again for all your input.

#35 8 years ago

If you are tired of LOTR, sell it. Get something else with a proven track record to replace it though. MET, ACDC, TZ, etc etc. Don't buy a new game that the code has yet to be finished. You might end up regretting it greatly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 25.00
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sell-lotr-for-got-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.