3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brainmegaphone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 3 years ago

Advice threads like these are tough because no one fully understands your situation (how badly you need/want the cash flow/tax consequences of converting your house to a rental property/etc). Also determining whether you want cash in hand today versus cash flow in the future is other context we do not have. Make sure you consult your accountant FIRST before you rent out because you can't undo something like that from a tax perspective. Be aware the the sale of your primary home versus a home for income purposes has different consequences that need to be considered by you or your professional.

If you want to keep the house because you like it / have attachment and think you will one day go back to it that influences your decision. If you never plan to move back and just can't bring yourself to sell it that also influences your decision. If it is a pure cash flow move that is fine as well but a *completely* different analysis.

As for anecdotal renting comments--

Life is short and I never want to deal with a rental property again personally. For some years I rented my condo out hoping the value would increase over time and then eventually I sold it just to avoid aggravation. I had top notch tenants and the condo association did a lot of the work on exterior matters but it still was work for me. When an appliance broke I felt terrible and dropped everything to get it fixed, etc.

I charged about 10-15% below market rent and got my pick of tenants because the place was nice and priced so well. Seeing people's credit reports is eye opening. Depending on the area you rent many people who rent do so because they can't afford to buy. In my area, people will pay [FOR EXAMPLE] $1,000 a month to rent a place that they could buy/mortgage for only $750 a month but their credit prevents this. Therefore your main customers are almost automatically a financial risk to you.

Friends made fun of me because I was renting a place for a few hundred less than I could otherwise get. Meanwhile they charged top price for crappier places but constantly had to evict and deal with damage. I am sure I came out better in the end financially but even if I left a bit on the table who cares?

My rental was cash flow positive (had small mortgage which was covered and all other expenses covered with some money in my pocket each month). Regardless the day I sold that place it was like a huge monkey off my back. Some people are cut out to deal with owning real estate and others are not. I had minimal aggravation but still don't want to own property others are living in.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brainmegaphone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sell-it-rent-it-or-airbnb-it?tu=brainmegaphone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.