Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Skypilot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So Safecracker is my grail pin. I have incredible memories of it, and would love to have it. And now there's one for sale in New England and I am strongly considering selling some pinball machines I already have to get safecracker.

In the last four months I've gone from zero pinball machines to three, and from not being able to solder or really turn a wrench to an amateur pinball repairer.

The dilemma is I do not have the $5k or so to buy SafeCracker. Well, I suppose i technically do, but I am super risk averse money-wise. I keep 6 months of expenses liquid, in the bank, in case of emergency. I have no debt (no car payments, no mortgage, no credit card debt, no student loans). I have some money in retirement accounts but obviously those never get touched until I retire. I also have a small amount of money I'm saving for the eventual house some day (but that goal seems so absolutely far off, not sure if that will ever happen). Anyways, I would basically break my rules about safe money practices to pay cash for SafeCracker. Not by much, but it's the principle of the thing.

Or I could sell Pin*bot and Super Mario Bros to raise some cash towards the same. I am loathe to do this. Pin*bot is a piece of pinball history and a really important game. Super Mario is my first pin, and even though I hardly play it any more I really like having it. And when guests come over, that's the machine they all want to play. I think realistically I could get maybe close to $3k for the pair? Hard to say. Taxi is not going, though. I want to do the playfield swap and get my hands dirty with that one.

Or I could just wait for a beat up one. I know that SafeCracker is rare and finding one on route is probably impossible. But there's a small victory in not getting caught up in the pricing wars that's going on now.

What should I do? Maybe I need to take a break from buying and enjoy what I have for a little longer?

#2 11 years ago

I go with the philosophy that Pinball machines can be liquidated quickly. So If you have the cash use it(dont leave yourself strapped) .At worst case scenario,If forced to sell, you probably wont get your entire investment back ,but you won't loose your ass.

#3 11 years ago

Easy, Dip into your "emergency" fund. You can always sell your other pins if you need to. Pinballs are like money in the bank anymore.

#4 11 years ago

Screw your rules
Houses are overrated
Buy more pinball machines

(Though $5k seems a lot for a safe cracker)

#5 11 years ago

I saw a minty one sell on Pinside for $6k. This one has been off route and in a home since 2000, zero fade, no wear, etc. Seller's asking $5900, I'm thinking more like $5k. is that too high? I'd love to get it for 4k instead!

#6 11 years ago

Assuming you have a credit card correct?

Before I get flamed I'd like to say my wife and I have zero credit card debt..along with no car payments or debt other than a mortgage

Buy the game with the E fund. IF there was a legit 'emergency' can always use the CC immediately...and use the grace period of 30ish days to sell off a pin.

Then start building up you emergency fund again...which is actually your pin fund.

I think an emergency plan is much more important than an actual emergency fund

#7 11 years ago

You should probably be asking Suzie Orman and not a bunch of guys on a pinball forum. But I say use your emergency fund and buy it. Worst case scenario, an emergency hits before you're able to build your funds back up and you have to sell the game. Can't imagine it would lose any value in that amount of time.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Assuming you have a credit card correct?

No, as part of my obsession like 5 years ago I cut up my cards and went all 'Dave Ramsey' on my debt. Only a debit card.

I haven't checked my credit score in forever. I went through a short sale 2 years ago to get out of a condo that I took a huge bath on, so even though I have cash and am good with my money its likely my credit score would preclude me from getting a credit card.

#9 11 years ago

well, I think you know what Dave Ramsey would say if you asked him this question, right? If you went all Dave Ramsey before, I'd say don't stray from that path...

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from rad:

well, I think you know what Dave Ramsey would say if you asked him this question, right? If you went all Dave Ramsey before, I'd say don't stray from that path...

While I would agree that dipping into your reserve makes total sense, the above advise is the best you are going to get. Plan your work and work your plan. Build up to the extra cash and buy it when you can. Don't stray from the plan. It has worked well for you thus far. Don't stray now for a pinball machine.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Plan your work and work your plan. Build up to the extra cash and buy it when you can. Don't stray from the plan. It has worked well for you thus far. Don't stray now for a pinball machine.

Agreed. You made it this far into your life without owning a Safecracker. There will still be Safecrackers around once you've saved up enough money. Save up and pay cash. That how you live the rest of your life, so don't stray for your hobby. My 2 cents

#12 11 years ago

You probably wont miss SMB too much...

#13 11 years ago

Either save up or sell off what you don't play/want for the SC.

#14 11 years ago

You only live once. I like to spend and want immediate gratification. I'm pretty good with putting $ away monthly, maybe not as good as a few of my friends, and definitely not Suzy Ormon approved. I want to retire comfortable, but I also want to enjoy life getting there. As others have said, pins are pretty easy to turn into cash if needed.

#15 11 years ago

Please understand I am trying to be nice and helpful in my comments.

Pinball machines are the pretty much define unnecessary luxury. You just got into this enjoyable hobby four months ago but are already seeing games that you will "never" see again for that price.

Sorry to hear you got burned on a condo. Real estate can be a rough experience, but you are burning up your down payment in games. Buy a duplex(or a fourplex) with your money and let your tenants pay your mortgage. Now you get to live for free in one of the units. You figured out how to fix pins, you can fix pretty much anything in a rental.

Take all of that money that you are spending on rent and now you can buy pins with all of that extra money.

Necessities first, luxuries second.

Also I am sure I will catch much abuse for this statement, but will you really enjoy that one $5K pin more than 2-5 cheaper pins?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

Please understand I am trying to be nice and helpful in my comments.
Pinball machines are the pretty much define unnecessary luxury. You just got into this enjoyable hobby four months ago but are already seeing games that you will "never" see again for that price.
Sorry to hear you got burned on a condo. Real estate can be a rough experience, but you are burning up your down payment in games. Buy a duplex(or a fourplex) with your money and let your tenants pay your mortgage. Now you get to live for free in one of the units. You figured out how to fix pins, you can fix pretty much anything in a rental.
Take all of that money that you are spending on rent and now you can buy pins with all of that extra money.
Necessities first, luxuries second.
Also I am sure I will catch much abuse for this statement, but will you really enjoy that one $5K pin more than 2-5 cheaper pins?

+1 save for a while longer and another one will turn up or you will find another game you want for much less.

#17 11 years ago

I've seen Safecrackers for sale, there will always be another.

#18 11 years ago

Game is sold. I ended up giving up interest for now. Bigger place first, then collection expansion.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

You should probably be asking Suzie Orman and not a bunch of guys on a pinball forum

LOL ,If Suzie owned a pin,would it be WPT or SC

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sell-games-or-spend-cash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.