• Keep creature 49 votes
    60%

(81 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CFTBL_pf.jpg
CFTBL.,.jpg
CFTBL,.jpg
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Thinking about selling cftbl and picking up a family guy that's on route for $3500 should I go for it I have the pin add and will be selling it or fish tales when I get my tax return back in order to fund a Tz purchase point of this thread will fg be an easy sell and will I be able to get my money back when the time comes to sell ???

#2 11 years ago

Don't do it...too risky.

#3 11 years ago

I have both games and neither sees a great deal of play. But I would let the FG go first. Great theme if you like FG but game play so-so. TSPP a much better bet. As deep as TZ but a lot more fun and not too difficult to find in nice shape.

#4 11 years ago

Not a huge fan of either pin to be honest, but I would certainly sell Creech and get something else.
Too slow and awkward for my taste.

FT and TZ would be infinitely better choices IMO

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from tpn2011:

Thinking about selling cftbl and picking up a Family Guy that's on route for $3500 should I go for it I have the pin add and will be selling it or Fish Tales when I get my tax return back in order to fund a Tz purchase point of this thread will fg be an easy sell and will I be able to get my money back when the time comes to sell ???

Holy run on sentence!!!!!!!

My opinion: I hate CFTBL...the layout sucks, the audio is the worst in a WMS ever. Can't even remotely get into it. FGY on the other hand is Lawlor's best Stern game and IMO one of Stern's best games period. Great game, great sound, depth to the rules, 2 wizard modes, awesome toy. Like most SAM-era Sterns, FGY's value just keeps going up. If that route game is decent and will clean up nice, you could sell it in the 4ks easy.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My opinion: I hate CFTBL...the layout sucks, the audio is the worst in a WMS ever. Can't even remotely get into it

Worst machine ever made. Trade it for a cup of coffee.

#7 11 years ago

I wouldnt sell my creature for a new Stern much less FG. Even if it wasnt based on that horrible cartoon the game sucks.

#8 11 years ago

This is coming from someone that LOVES and watches FGY (and Cleveland Show). FGY is NOT a keeper like CFTBL. Stewie pinball gets old so fast, very few long or fast satisfying shots, just not a good layout IMO. I was so excited when I bought a mint HUO, and sold it less than a year later and haven't missed it for a single second.

#9 11 years ago

Family guy is not going to be a keeper just something new till I pick up Tz which is also on route but not ready to be sold just yet just ready for something new in the mean time and you don't see fg for sale very often so Im not sure if $3500 is a good price

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

This is coming from someone that LOVES and watches FGY (and Cleveland Show). FGY is NOT a keeper like CFTBL. Stewie pinball gets old so fast, very few long or fast satisfying shots, just not a good layout IMO. I was so excited when I bought a mint HUO, and sold it less than a year later and haven't missed it for a single second.

Stewie pinball is awesome cuz it sets you up for a Multiball where you have to skillfully play the upper and lower playfields simultaneously and alternate jackpots. What game does that!?

That layout is great and the shots are totally satisfying...great combos - Chris to Evil Monkey to Ramp to Lois to Evil Monkey...or if you don't use the upper flipper you can loop the Lois spinner like crazy. Lots of great "on your toes" ball movement due to the design, rubber/post placement, drop targets, standups.

Quoted from tpn2011:

$3500 is a good price

Great price. If you don't get it, there are plenty of Pinsiders who'd want it I'm sure.

#11 11 years ago

Hell yes get FGY. One of sterns best. I owned it for 4 years. Only pin I've sold that I regret and miss. Fantastic game if you love humor and pinball.

#12 11 years ago

CFTBL is 20 years old and is good if you like the drive-in movie theme. To me though, there is not a lot of replay value.

FG is a lot better to me (and newer) and I would trade Creature for FG any day. Lawlor plus upper left flipper are nice. Newer Stern's are just as good as the 90s B/W if you ask me - but people think I am ret#rded as WPT is my favorite game.

Watch Bowen's tutorial and get some game play on a good, fully-working FG and make your decision.

I had FT for four years and would sell CFTBL before FT.

#13 11 years ago

keep the creech, dump the FG machine which gets old quickly...very dull machine indeed.

#14 11 years ago

Keep CFTBL without a doubt. I like FGY, but I think Creature is the superior pin.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stewie pinball is awesome cuz it sets you up for a Multiball where you have to skillfully play the upper and lower playfields simultaneously and alternate jackpots. What game does that!?

Shrek and he doesn't have testicles for a chin.

#16 11 years ago

Family Guy is amazing. Unique Lawlor layout with great rules, lights, dots and sound. It's the complete package and Sterns best. I ordered it NIB. I recently turned down 4800 for mine and was offered 4200 last year. keeper. I like to play FT more than CFTBL.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

If Stewie pinball gets old for you, just crank up the difficulty for starting it. Easy, and you won't see it so often. I did that and now it's perfect! Dump creech and get FGY!

#18 11 years ago

Seems like its allmost an even split!!But i think its time for creature to find a new home if anyone is interstead shoot me a pm

#19 11 years ago

After building my collection for the last 3 years, I only have one more machine that's on my "hit list",

That's Family Guy

#20 11 years ago

I made the starting of Stewie pinball more difficult & set it up for a 10 or 15 second timer but then made it less difficult to complete (spotted certain letters & etc).

That way I still finish it within 2 tries but spend less time up there.

I think the Stewie mini PF factory settings are set the way they are so when on route people get to the toy easily. In a collectors home changes are a must since we are more savvy & hopefully more skilled.

My $0.02

PS Creech is not a game I dig. Too much shit in the way (like even more than a mini pinball machine) & it's like 40 years old I think

#21 11 years ago

I bought FGY because of the unique layout. It plays like no other game. I've tried to build my collection with enough variety of theme, layout and depth so that I could have a smallish collection and still not get easily bored. To that end, FGY has held up well. It offers some good stacking strategies, a great mini-wizard mode and a perfect final that is based on how well you played each mode. The audio is just over the top fantastic - possibly the best variety of quotes in any pin. In fact, I've owned one for nearly 3 years and just heard a new quote last week.

Lastly, the centre save post must be disabled and the mini-playfield set to time-out and hard difficulty as others have said.

#22 11 years ago

No.

#23 11 years ago

Glad to hear that you can disable the middle save post no cheating in this house !!!I think I am going to have to go against the poll and get the family guy watched a lot of game play videos today and just seems like a no Brainer and with ft and creech cftbl gets no love from guest.Now I just need someone to take creech off my hands anyone ???

#24 11 years ago

Disabled post?

Damn, that makes the death target & death rollover worthless & it's so friggin cool to let the ball rest there for a quick Chris/Louis shot (cannot be done with PBL flipper rubber only Happ BTW).

Why not reduce the post time VS 100% eliminate a neat feature?

Well it is your game, just talking shop of course

#25 11 years ago

Love my Creature. Great art and gameplay. So many mod opportunities developing. If you get bored of it try changing your strategy. I used to shoot for the same shots all the time, but recently changed for the secondary targets and really have fallen in love with this game all over again.

#26 11 years ago

I have both games, and it would be almost impossible for me to choose between them, but if push came to shove, CFTBL would have to go first, but only because my FGY is HUO and it would be much harder for me to replace later.

Creech seems to be a love hate game, which I sort of get, because I initially wasn't a fan, but after getting some extended game time in on it, it really grew on me. FGY I liked from the minute I first played it, IMO the best game Stern has put out to date.

#27 11 years ago

For me it seems to be the opposite loved creech at first but after it being here for 3 or 4 months ready for something new if I had the money I would keep them all but try to keep myself to a 2 game limit always gotta have something new so i think it's time for creech to find a new home

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Worst machine ever made. Trade it for a cup of coffee.

the resident cftbl hater has awoken!

i would never trade cftbl for a fg. :Pever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

#29 11 years ago

I own both. They're completely different games. Creech has great humor and what I consider pretty shallow rules, but it is a game I enjoy playing. It's a well executed theme, IMHO. Kind of a pick up and play game, if you will.

I've had my FGY for three years now and I have yet to beat it and I consider myself a better than average player. FGY is a far more challenging than Creech. If you watch the show and enjoy the humor, you'll enjoy the game.

As with any of these kind of questions, it depends on what you really like. In my case, if I had to decide between selling the Creech and selling the FGY, I would probably keep the Creech.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I have both games, and it would be almost impossible for me to choose between them, but if push came to shove, CFTBL would have to go first, but only because my FGY is HUO and it would be much harder for me to replace later.
Creech seems to be a love hate game, which I sort of get, because I initially wasn't a fan, but after getting some extended game time in on it, it really grew on me. FGY I liked from the minute I first played it, IMO the best game Stern has put out to date.

That's why I can't do that anymore??! Have to order some Happ flipper rubber then!

#31 11 years ago

Own both games and love 'em both:

CFTBL is the epitome of a just one more game title...awesome overall game IMO.

That said, FGY is just over the top: absolutely frickin' hilarious; just a true blast to play...a fantastic game all things considered...one of Lawlor's best IMO.

I never get tired of playing on the "smaller field"...and when you're playing on both simulatenously, man that's a great adrenalin rush.

You can always get a Creech back pretty easily...FGY isn't as common.

#32 11 years ago

I generally prefer B/W games and I LOVE the theme on creech, but... I think ctfbl gets old pretty fast. There was one on location near me when I first got into pinball and I got a lot of game time on it. Some of my friends have owned it as well. It's OK, but the ruleset is lacking and the upper half of the playfield is almost completely obscured by ramps. FGY is one of stern's best ever. Fairly difficult to come by title with a pretty deep ruleset. $3500 sounds like a great price, but check for wear in front of the TV kickout.

#33 11 years ago

I owned FGY for 3 years before trading it. I still regret getting rid of it.

Fun game, great call-outs. Agree with making harder to get Stewie pinball to kep flow better. Using the death save post isn't cheating it's just a different thing to use as strategy (but do shorten the times).

Replace the flashers with super-bright LED flashers and it's insane.

CFTBL is great looking game but a little long in the tooth theme-wise.

#34 11 years ago

Keep Creech, and let it develop you into a better player.

Dan

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Gottlieb Black Hole 1981

#36 11 years ago

Family guy gets real old , realy quick , or it did for me .

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

cuz it sets you up for a Multiball where you have to skillfully play the upper and lower playfields simultaneously and alternate jackpots. What game does that!?

TSPP

#38 11 years ago

Nah, that's different...TSPP's upper playfield is more like an extension of the main one...there are 2 more Jackpots up there but it's not the alternating situation of FGY. In FGY, for instance, you have to get Lois on the upper, then Lois on the lower (then it relights on the upper). Collect all the upper and lower jackpots and Stewie Super Jackpot lights up. It's a really unique and challenging multiball, and I think any time anyone says "aw Stewie mini pinball gets old" doesn't take into account 1.) It's a whole fan layout pinball machine WITHIN a pinball machine and 2.) It's purpose is to take you to an awesome Multiball. IMO, it's one of the best pinball "toys" ever made.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from criss:

Family Guy gets real old , realy quick , or it did for me .

This is what I heard ... And from a guy I was looking to buy one from! I still want one someday to get it out of my system.

#40 11 years ago

FG at that price for sure, and they are getting hard to find. Its a fun game with a different layout, and the callouts are awesome. Whenever new people come over they have a ball playing it, and the deeper you get into it the more different callouts you get to keep things fresh. Had it since new and it would be the last game to go.

#41 11 years ago

As you can see, everybody has opinions on these. Both are keepers for me.

Nice FGY pins usually sell in the mid $4Ks so at $3500 you have some room for profit if you decide to flip it later.

Production numbers were around 3300 and they aren't offered FS that often so somebody must like it. Also the TV show has been running "forever". It is part of our culture and will become nostalgic in the future much like Creature is now.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Nah, that's different...TSPP's upper playfield is more like an extension of the main one...there are 2 more Jackpots up there but it's not the alternating situation of FGY. In FGY, for instance, you have to get Lois on the upper, then Lois on the lower (then it relights on the upper). Collect all the upper and lower jackpots and Stewie Super Jackpot lights up. It's a really unique and challenging multiball, and I think any time anyone says "aw Stewie mini pinball gets old" doesn't take into account 1.) It's a whole fan layout pinball machine WITHIN a pinball machine and 2.) It's purpose is to take you to an awesome Multiball. IMO, it's one of the best pinball "toys" ever made.

Disagree, in that your criteria was what pinball requires that you play the upper and lower PF's simultaneously...TSPP does that in two different modes. In couch multiball, you have to keep the lower balls in play while successfully making TWO shots in the upper PF (TV then Couch) to award one of five super jackpots and light a character in the car. To achieve SDMEWM you have to do this five different times. During Alien Invasion, you also have to use the upper PF while maintaining control below as the final locks, especially on the 4 and 5 ball timed lock mode.

As for the OP's original ?, I have a CFTBL and have played FGY many times (friend owns one). I'd have to lean towards CFTBL, although, if I were a huge FGY fan, I could go either way. However, as has been said a couple of times, CFTBL will force you to become a better player. It's a brutal pin, even with only a 2-ball MB.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from criss:

Family Guy gets real old , realy quick , or it did for me .

Agreed +1

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Disagree, in that your criteria was what pinball requires that you play the upper and lower PF's simultaneously...

Disagree, his criteria was what other pin has alternating shots to light jackpots. TSPP does NOT do this. Hit the upper pf targets to light the lower targets.

Quoted from Rarehero:

#45 11 years ago

My opinion: I hate CFTBL...the layout sucks, the audio is the worst in a WMS ever. Can't even remotely get into it. FGY on the other hand is Lawlor's best Stern game and IMO one of Stern's best games period. Great game, great sound, depth to the rules, 2 wizard modes, awesome toy. Like most SAM-era Sterns, FGY's value just keeps going up

The above is The Best Post on the Thread .. Family Guy is a BLAST ... I'm Really Dig-n mine !!
It took me 3 yr's to Find a CFTBL , and 1 hr after owning it I wanted it Gone .. The Best part about the Pin is the lOOk of it .. I agree , the Music and Sound effect's Suck ( IMO ) Does Not match the pin .. Corney Pin !!!

CFTBL,.jpgCFTBL,.jpg CFTBL.,.jpgCFTBL.,.jpg CFTBL_pf.jpgCFTBL_pf.jpg

#46 11 years ago

As much as I hate Creature, I really think with updated software and rules, it could be a very good machine. That of course could be said for virtually any machine that anyone thinks sucks.

I like that cftbl is hard and fast. I’m not usually a fan of hit this ramp over and over, but on this game there is something to be said for it I think, as the return is so fast, it really is a timing thing more than an aiming thing.

With people starting to redo roms and using p-roc and such, I’m betting this eventually gets done, and done right.

........but until then

btw:

Hilarious nick!

#47 11 years ago

It's hard for me to imagine someone hating creature, but different strokes I guess

#48 11 years ago

I haven't played one very often, but I think I would like to have one. I really like playing the TPA and VP versions....

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

CFTBL will force you to become a better player. It's a brutal pin, even with only a 2-ball MB.

Yup! Quite due to it being only a 2-ball MB.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

As much as I hate Creature, I really think with updated software and rules, it could be a very good machine. That of course could be said for virtually any machine that anyone thinks sucks.
I like that cftbl is hard and fast. I’m not usually a fan of hit this ramp over and over, but on this game there is something to be said for it I think, as the return is so fast, it really is a timing thing more than an aiming thing.
With people starting to redo roms and using p-roc and such, I’m betting this eventually gets done, and done right.
........but until then
btw:

Hilarious nick!

We have gone around the horn on this before, but I am curious as to what would impove the game in terms of rule? If I understand, the only thing left somewhat unfinished was scoring on the inlanes. I could see some expansion of the snack bar food awards.

Ramps play no role getting to MB, so I don't understand that comment. They offer features when activated that offer high scoring for multiple hits. Not unusual. In MB the left ramp becomes important for JP multiplier.

It is not a game that you can master for sure as SJP is as hard to attain as any advanced feature in any game. It is simple not easy, shallow not deep, but as hard as any game. Someone who needs mutiple things keeping them busy will never appreciate Creech.

Creech is about skill and that's it. You can get far on many games with mediocre or less skills, but on Creech you will get nowhere.

It is a masterpiece of integrating all aspects of a game trying to capture a point in time: art, music, graphics, playfield design, innovation, theme in the play. But those who get it, get it. The only knock I would think appropriate is unbalanced scoring, but that's the point. Without the skill and controlled play (and often a lot of luck), you ain't a going nowhere!

EDIT: What game better captures a slice of Americana like Creech? Drive-ins, monster movies, dates at the drive-in with moves and making out and the tilt demand, sneaking people in, parking lot confrontations, tot playground for families, snack bar, etc.

Dan

#50 11 years ago

Great theme game FG . I am family guy fan, I owned machine for about 2 years. Beat machine within first month,lost interest. Mini playfield flippers started to stick.Sold it for 3000.00 HUO

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sell-cftbl-and-get-family-guy-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.