Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DanQverymuch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I know I need to add cash but feel the need for a newer pin not necessarily WOZ.

#2 5 years ago

That would NEVER happen for me.

#3 5 years ago

I own both and like SS better. Both are great games though. Depending on condition and what version of WOZ the scared stiff could be an even trade.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from jeff_286:

I know I need to add cash but feel the need for a newer pin not necessarily WOZ.

You have one modern Stern in your collection, Spider Man. WOZ is a cool game you would probably enjoy. Do you have much time on one?

Depending on how nice your SS is (and I'm guessing it is pretty nice) you wouldn't need to put up much if any money.

#5 5 years ago

If you like games that are really slow, sure, ok.

#6 5 years ago

I would do this trade in a second. SS is fun but way too shallow.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would do this trade in a second. SS is fun but way too shallow.

I disagree, SS is exactly what I love about pinball, great layout, solid rules, great humor. I completed the Stiff-O-Meter at someones party last year and got the GC score. Elvira rocks!

#8 5 years ago

I'd rather own Wizard of Oz. Scared Stiff is way too easy to beat, I can probably finish the stiff-o-meter every 3 games. It's awesome and well done, has great call outs, art & etc., but I like a game that's a lot more challenging with a deeper ruleset. Scared Stiff is still one of my all time favorites, but Wizard of Oz seems like it could take years to beat or master which is why I'd rather have that.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I'd rather own Wizard of Oz. Scared Stiff is way too easy to beat, I can probably finish the stiff-o-meter every 3 games. It's awesome and well done, has great call outs, art & etc., but I like a game that's a lot more challenging with a deeper ruleset. Scared Stiff is still one of my all time favorites, but Wizard of Oz seems like it could take years to beat or master which is why I'd rather have that.

I'm definitely one to say that after you've owned a game and had your fill of it move it out to play the next one.

#10 5 years ago

The rule set that Keith has built for WOZ is amazingly deep. As great as SS is, WOZ is much more fun.

#11 5 years ago

If y'all into wizards and girls with baskets and green stuff

#12 5 years ago

SS is great fun to slap a few balls around any time ( 5-30 min)

WOZ is far more complicated so if you not into this kind of games stick with SS( 30 min-2 hrs)

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I disagree, SS is exactly what I love about pinball, great layout, solid rules, great humor. I completed the Stiff-O-Meter at someones party last year and got the GC score. Elvira rocks!

I did the same, minus a GC score. That was when I decided I probably wouldn't ever own one.

#14 5 years ago

SS is a blast, but doesn't have even close to the staying power as WoZ does. I'd make that move.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

You haven't beat the game if you haven't completed spider multi-ball which is much harder than the stiff-o-meter....I consider the stiff-o-meter a mini-wizard mode.

I had a similar situation with TSPP and SS. I owned both, but now only own SS. TSPP became too much of a chore trying to beat and resigned myself to the fact I'd probably never reach SDMEWM on 3 balls. I only know of one, maybe two people that have, so to me, there's a limit to how deep a game should go, otherwise, it becomes no fun.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

then why don't you own one?

Quoted from AbacusMan:

If you like games that are really slow, sure, ok.

WTF are you talking about? Game is fast as fvck if you set it up to be.

Quoted from jeff_286:

WOZ is an amazing table and is worthy of owning. Looking at your lineup it would make a solid companion to your games. The code is nuanced and has something for every player from kids to experienced players. I've owned one since August 2013 and it is keeper and the game I go back to over and over again.

Quoted from Msch:

If y'all into wizards and girls with baskets and green stuff

or just into pinball.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

To me, Scared Stiff really has character and charm that most games can't capture well. It's definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

WOZ's value is more in it's depth and looks.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

then why don't you own one?

WTF are you talking about? Game is fast as fvck if you set it up to be.

WOZ is an amazing table and is worthy of owning. Looking at your lineup it would make a solid companion to your games. The code is nuanced and has something for every player from kids to experienced players. I've owned one since August 2013 and it is keeper and the game I go back to over and over again.

or just into pinball.

Never had an opportunity to buy one locally at a decent price point.

#19 5 years ago

WOZ is awesome pinball. I'd add it to my collection if I were you

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Never had an opportunity to buy one locally at a decent price point.

That's part of my point too. If SS was a 2k game I'd like to own one for sure. I just don't think it would have the staying power of WOZ assuming the prices are equal.

#21 5 years ago

My WOZ didn't play all that fast until I polished up the playfield and put a coat of Adam's Buttery Wax on it. Holy hell, it's fast and frantic now, especially when you get 5 ball multiball going. Combine that with the two mini play fields, and you might even think it's a bit too fast when the machine is set up right.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That's part of my point too. If SS was a 2k game I'd like to own one for sure. I just don't think it would have the staying power of WOZ assuming the prices are equal.

If all pins were equally priced that would remove quite a bit of hostility about how one game is better than the other.

#23 5 years ago

Theming is very personal. Presumably, you are OK with both Scared Stiff and Wizard of Oz.

Scared Stiff has the classic humor and smooth shots of great Williams/Bally games. If you long for the days of pinball in the 1990's, Scared Stiff is a perfect example from this era and certainly a keeper. This is a classic for all the reasons you expect and are already familiar with.

Wizard of Oz is a thorough modern take on a pinball machine. This is not about the shots, some of which can be pretty clunky. Wizard of Oz is all about the amazing ruleset and theme integration - audio, video, layout, and rules all mesh together. There is no more satisfying ruleset and more deeply integrated theme that I can think of.

#24 5 years ago

Woz??? Tell me about a sissier game.... Crystal shoes for flipper bats... ...and the "music"??? Oh my....

#25 5 years ago

Does being the most sissy game mean you think the game is more valuable? I don't typically consider the sissiness factor when evaluating how much I like playing a pinball machine. I suppose thematically I'd prefer and Iron Maiden over a Fried Green Tomatoes pin.

I'm not a huge fan of WoZ. It's five tokens at my local Pinballz compared to three for either Elvira machine. I don't care much for the Wizard of Oz movie or book. I think the other books in the series are better.

#26 5 years ago

Guess woz may be ok for girls with ages raging from 3 to 8 years old tops.... Or the mommies...

I tried to play it once, got on my nerves, just couldn't stand...

#27 5 years ago

I owned a Scared Stiff and enjoyed it for over 3 years. Great simple pin that got repetitive after awhile with its simple ruleset. It simply wasn't getting played enough. For what I could get for it, I decided to sell. It was HUO. WOZ was in the lineup during the last year I had Scared Stiff and there was no comparison. WOZ can be wicked fast, especially during multiball. You can play it so many ways with there being many games within the game. It's unbelievable how deep it is, but it's still enjoyed very much by guests. On top of that, it's a beautiful looking pin with a timeless theme. Love the LCD.

Saying all that, you have to decide for yourself. Go spend some time learning the basics of the rules and put some time on one before you decide.

#28 5 years ago

Keep the SS and sell your TOM and buy a MET pro or Premium

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Gort:

Keep the SS and sell your TOM and buy a MET pro or Premium

Now you're talking!

#30 5 years ago

WOZ is not classic arcade style pinball, its a more modern full out adventure style pinball where ball times can last a heck of a long time, which is not everyone's cup of tea. I think games like TSPP and LOTR can last way too long and WOZ is in the same boat. If you want that go for it. The spectacle of that game is very over the top.

#31 5 years ago

If you want something newer, I recommend another Stern. Metallica, ACDC, Tron, Iron Man and Game of Thrones are all excellent. Sit tight a bit and Ghost Busters will be an option as well. For non-Sterns I'd recommend MMR or AMH. WOZ is way down my list. Played it and didn't love it. Make sure to play it a fair bit. Who knows. You might love it.

#32 5 years ago

If your gonna go that route I'd rather have The Hobbit once it's available. Way better theme than WOZ. SS is a great game but not at the price it demands.

#33 5 years ago

Both are great games, woz would hold my interest longer as I like games with very deep rule sets.

#34 5 years ago

SS was my go-to game at my local location. I love the game play. However, I decided it was too shallow to make it worth it to shell out the dough to own. I enjoy playing WOZ. That being said, every time I'm at my friend's playing it something different breaks. All things equal, I'd prefer to own the WOZ due to the deeper ruleset, but the price combined with the reliability will probably prevent me from ever owning one. I'd probably get a Metallica or AC/DC premium instead.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Guess woz may be ok for girls with ages raging from 3 to 8 years old tops.... Or the mommies...
I tried to play it once, got on my nerves, just couldn't stand...

If playing a goddamn pinball machine - no matter WHAT the theme - is such an affront to your masculinity, you need to find a new hobby.

#36 5 years ago

My wife loves TOM, me too it's perfect.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

If playing a goddamn pinball machine - no matter WHAT the theme - is such an affront to your masculinity, you need to find a new hobby.

No, he doesn't. To each their own. There are lots of themes/titles I wouldn't want in my house either.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

No, he doesn't. To each their own. There are lots of themes/titles I wouldn't want in my house either.

His exact words were only girls and mommies would care for it, which, IMHFO, goes beyond "to each their own".

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from jeff_286:

My wife loves TOM, me too it's perfect.

So does my GF!! Not to turn this thread into another anti-JPOP thread, but it's a goddamn shame the guy had to destroy all the goodwill he's acquired from making fantastic pins because he's a shi... Poop head.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

No I don't... And I won't ever own a woz either... If you're so offended with my opinion of a simple pinball machine, you should find another forum.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

His exact words were only girls and mommies would care for it, which, IMHFO, goes beyond "to each their own".

Not my "exact" words..... But, who cares?

WTF "IMHFO" means???

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

No I don't... And I won't ever own a woz either... If you're so offended with my opinion of a simple pinball machine, you should find another forum.

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man. It's too bad though that you have to resort to some Neanderthal sexism just to show how much you hate a toy.

In My Humble Funkin' Opinion. Replace Funkin' with something less family friendly.

#43 5 years ago

Yes, I would sell SS to get a WOZ.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man. It's too bad though that you have to resort to some Neanderthal sexism just to show how much you hate a toy.
In My Humble Funkin' Opinion. Replace Funkin' with something less family friendly.

Yeah, I'm a woz hater, shame on me....

And thanks for the f***ing explanation.... Livin' and learnin'

#45 5 years ago

You probably hate WoZ cause you suck at it.

#46 5 years ago

and I RULE SS!

#47 5 years ago

Owned both.

Would like to get another SS one day. That really only answers the question for me though.

#48 5 years ago

I would stick with SS or eye another pin to trade for, better yet. Spend some time on a WOZ and decide for yourself.

#49 5 years ago

SS is a great fun game. It is a bit shallow when compared to more modern games. Woz is a great fun game with multiple ways of playing to get deeper through the game. Most players will never see the end of the game which could be a deterrent in itself. On the other hand, 75% of all players will most likely never see the end of 75% of any game.
If you could find someone to buy your SS for a woz, wouldn't hesitate for a second.

#50 5 years ago

I have a nib ruby red that I'll sell. Picking up a proven ecle at Allentown so the rr has to go. I'm in Morristown area.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside