• Sell all 3 54 votes
    51%
  • Don't do it. 26 votes
    25%
  • Sell 2 of them and keep one for a different play style. 25 votes
    24%

(105 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Just wanted to see what pinsiders thought about something I'm contemplating. Should I sell my Judge Dredd, Black Hole and Incredible Hulk for a Attack from Mars remake? Any opinions would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

OK - I buy all 3!

#3 6 years ago

Keep all of them, sell blood and semen until you can afford afmr

#4 6 years ago

Sell em all.

This is my plan, slowly build a collection of B and C list games, play them until an A list game comes along that I want. The last swap I did was getting rid of F-14, Tee'd off, dungeons and dragons and spring break for a nib game of thrones (this ones a keeper). The next trade off will be for attack from mars too.

I could just save my money until I can but an AFM, but though I might as well scoop up any good deals along the way so that I have games to play until I'm ready for the next great game. I currently have a Bally beat the clock that will be going once I'm ready. Probably will be another 2 years of saving before my next keeper comes along.

#5 6 years ago

Afm is not that great that I'd want it over 3 machines...

It's a decent game but does not have enough variaty to be a better choice than 3 games.

#6 6 years ago

AFM is a great game, but selling all three seems harsh. Try to keep one / sell two, and find the $ missing?
Having two pins at home is really better than one, even a great one.

#7 6 years ago

Yikes, tough call. I've done the sell 2 to buy 1 move. If space is a concern or if your goal is a gameroom full of A titles, I say go for it. AFM is an A lister all day long and very approachable for guests. Other games will come along.

#8 6 years ago

Loaded question...as always depends 100% on the condition of your 3 games.

If all are collector quality - NO - I would not deal.
If there are the usual "these pins are 90 years old combined" issues - YES I would deal.

One pin gets boring after 6,000 straight plays...does not matter what pin in the entire world that may be.

#9 6 years ago

I sold a sopranos, HS2, and WPT to buy a nice original MM 2 weeks ago.
It was worth it....

#10 6 years ago

AFM is a super timeless game. What it lacks in depth it makes up for with speed, atmosphere and flow. I can't imagine ever getting tired of it, and am looking forward to bolting mine to the floor. If you'd had your fun with your other three games I'd absolutely go for it!

#11 6 years ago

yes - absolutely - no regrets
AFM is one of the greatest pins of all-time

#12 6 years ago

Yes, I would do it, but be aware that CGC doesn't have a great track record in getting pins out in a timely manner. Medieval Madness took almost 2 years to show up at my door. I understand it's a little different this time, but it's something to keep in mind.

#13 6 years ago

Yeah... my caveat would be to get the AFMr first and then sell the other three if you can swing that. Who knows when you'll actually get yours. They were supposed to start shipping in May and we haven't heard a thing yet.

#14 6 years ago

I'd suggest keeping them until you can pick up the other game, don't sell them today just to get on a pre-order list. AFMr will be built for a long time. Also, unless you are really into the large display, I'd suggest getting an original game.

#15 6 years ago

Like others have stated, I would wait for the AFMr and keep the machines you have. I too waited 2 years to receive my MMr, by the time I had to pay for it I had saved the money and kept my other machines.

#16 6 years ago

You left out the most important info needed to answer your question.
Are you bored silly of the 3 machines you contemplate trading or are they precious to you?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I sold a sopranos, HS2, and WPT to buy a nice original MM 2 weeks ago.
It was worth it....

Totally different if you have 10 machines to trade 3 for 1.cause you still have 8 !!!
He's got 3 thinking of trading for 1.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Totally different if you have 10 machines to trade 3 for 1.cause you still have 8 !!!
He's got 3 thinking of trading for 1.

You're right, I didn't pay attention to details. No way would I trade the 3 for 1 if it only left me with one pin...

#19 6 years ago

Keep Black Hole, sell the others.

#20 6 years ago

I don't enjoy the machines you currently have so i would say sell all 3, but then you only have the 3 pins so AFMr would be your only one.
Sell 2 and keep your favourite then save the rest you need.

#21 6 years ago

I'd make that trade, but unless those games are in great condition, I wouldn't think you'd get the approx. $6,000 necessary for the AFMr

#22 6 years ago

I guess the real question is whether or not it's possible for one great game to provide more pinball fun than three "lesser" games.

In general I'd say "no".

With regard to your specific three, I'd probably say "hell, no!". Black Hole is a stone-cold classic at this point, Judge Dredd is a lot of fun and a cool theme, and Hulk has vibrant artwork and (to me, at least) gameplay reminiscent of some of the better EM-era titles. I think you will miss the variety after the "honeymoon" phase ends (and it WILL end!) and end up with a touch of buyer's remorse if you go for a 3-for-1 deal.

Also, I agree that it might be a stretch to sell those three for enough to clear the price on an AFMr (and I am not sure you would get the same bargain from the distributor that you would for a new Stern title either).

I say keep what you have, and save for an AFMr. It is a great game but it is no longer a rare game; they will almost certainly still be available in two years NIB from distributors, and indefinitely beyond that on the used HUO market.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

I'd make that trade, but unless those games are in great condition, I wouldn't think you'd get the approx. $6,000 necessary for the AFMr

Are there distributors selling it for less than msrp? Msrp is $6800-$8400.

Just asking hoping that they are going to sell for less than msrp like sterns do.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Sell em all.
This is my plan, slowly build a collection of B and C list games, play them until an A list game comes along that I want. The last swap I did was getting rid of F-14, Tee'd off, dungeons and dragons and spring break for a nib game of thrones (this ones a keeper). The next trade off will be for attack from mars too.
I could just save my money until I can but an AFM, but though I might as well scoop up any good deals along the way so that I have games to play until I'm ready for the next great game. I currently have a Bally beat the clock that will be going once I'm ready. Probably will be another 2 years of saving before my next keeper comes along.

I agree 100%. Collect the cheaper titles, play them (fix and make better if you have the skills) and then buy the "grail" pins. Moreover, you will have more room for other pins/deals when they come in!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Dopes214tx:

Just wanted to see what pinsiders thought about something I'm contemplating. Should I sell my Judge Dredd, Black Hole and Incredible Hulk for a Attack from Mars remake? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Yes... you can find another JD later unless yours is nice and modded. Black hole and hulk look great, but not as great as afm. IMO

#26 6 years ago

I've sold several lesser titles to buy my LOTR and then did it again to buy my MET. Had fun playing my old games but don't miss them. I'll do it again for my next grail. So I would say go ahead and do it.

#27 6 years ago

I don't care what game you have, if I only had one, I would get bored of it very quick.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

yes - absolutely - no regrets
AFM is one of the greatest pins of all-time

What he said

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from generalgman:

I don't care what game you have, if I only had one, I would get bored of it very quick.

This is true, but there are not many games that give you the "one more game" feel like AFM does. Plus AFM is one of the most accessible pins for beginners. Straight forward rules, exciting gameplay a true classic, even if it's by its self. The honeymoon period with this one should last long enough to not bore you, before you find another cheap pin for variety.

#30 6 years ago

Buy a lawnmower, and make half the money by the end of summer.
Then sell two instead of three.

#31 6 years ago

Yeah sell the 3 , doubt you will regret it.

#32 6 years ago

Probably should have pointed out that I only have 3 machines, that's all I can fit in my apartment. I wouldn't mind only having the one but I'll probably end up keeping Hulk and selling the other 2. That'll give me some cash and I'll only have to save up a bit for the AFMr. I really liked the gameplay at TPF, and they bigger screen was bad ass.

#33 6 years ago

AFM is an all-time classic with amazing gameplay and timeless humor. I would do whatever it takes to get one, even if it means having to sell your 3 other games.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

AFM is an all-time classic with amazing gameplay and timeless humor. I would do whatever it takes to get one, even if it means having to sell your 3 other games.

Agreed

#35 6 years ago

Keep the Black Hole dude. That's an awesome classic. Sell the rest. And that's coming from a fellow JD owner.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Keep the Black Hole dude. That's an awesome classic. Sell the rest. And that's coming from a fellow JD owner.

So true. And how great would Black Hole look next to AFMr?

2 weeks later
#37 6 years ago

What have you decided to do? Dopes214tx

#38 6 years ago

I've been collecting for 15 years and playing longer. Lots of games have come and gone in my collection but AFM and TZ are definitive pins. Do it.

#39 6 years ago

Keep Black Hole, sell the rest. Black Hole and AFM would be a nice duo to have.

#40 6 years ago

Micky I'm leaning toward selling Hulk and JD, after playing all of them over the last few weeks. Black hole is a keeper. I really like the spinning disc in the backglass with the chaser lights, not to mention the dual playfields. I've still got time to decide what finally happens, but that's how I'm leaning right now. I'm saving money from every check I get and who knows... maybe I'll just save a little longer and keep em all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sell-3-machines-for-afmr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.