(Topic ID: 202319)

Truck backs into self driving bus accident (edited title)

By chad

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by goatdan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Las Vegas. Self driving bus crashes 2 hours after driving. Oops?

#2 6 years ago

Really not a good idea anyway if you ask me; too many liability issues.

#3 6 years ago

it got backed in to.

#4 6 years ago

Was it delivering pinball machines?

#5 6 years ago

It was hit by a truck, it didn’t crash. Check your facts [edited] before you post

#6 6 years ago

Very sorry indeed. !! Issue a thread eject.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Las Vegas. Self driving bus crashes 2 hours after driving. Oops?

The bus didn't crash. A delivery vehicle backed into it.

Quoted from RWH:Really not a good idea anyway if you ask me; too many liability issues.

Totally agree.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Very sorry indeed. !! Issue a thread eject.

Title correction forthcoming in meantime?

#9 6 years ago

Sorry I had scanned through it. Did not read thoroughly. My error.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

And that's how bullshit / half truth news propagates the Internet at such an alarming rate.

#11 6 years ago

If I was a delivery driver, I'd deliberately back into it.

#12 6 years ago

"Thread Created With Inaccurate Info!"

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Not all his fault, it's listed in bing news as chashing

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

They probably read it here then posted it as crashing.

#15 6 years ago

dam keyboard! "crashing"

#16 6 years ago

Look....self driving vehicles are going to have accidents...just not near as often as people do.

Everyone needs to get past that fact.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

"Bing news".

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Really not a good idea anyway if you ask me; too many liability issues.

Pffft! MUCH less of a liability than all the people who habitually text and/or talk on their phone while driving.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

dam keyboard! "crashing"

That's "damn".

#20 6 years ago

Nope. Keyboard also did that one lol

#21 6 years ago

Sadly, it's only news because there are so few self driving things right now.

In the same hour that it "crashed" (aka get backed into), there was probably a dozen deadly car accidents caused by human drivers.

And one driverless accident caused by a human driving into a driverless one.

#22 6 years ago

So how does the delivery driver exchange details with the driverless bus after the accident?

#23 6 years ago

Wait. If there's no driver, who will continue to yell "move back" at people so more can cram in?

That summarizes my one experience with a Las Vegas Bus.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Pffft! MUCH less of a liability than all the people who habitually text and/or talk on their phone while driving.</blockquote

That we both can agree on.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

"Bing news".

I'm dreaming of a White Christmas......

#26 6 years ago

Telsa stock about to crash, sell quickly!

#27 6 years ago

Looks like the self driving car hasn't been programmed for defensive driving. Good luck doing that.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Looks like the self driving car hasn't been programmed for defensive driving. Good luck doing that.

No need...self driving cars aren't stupid like people. They never fall asleep at the wheel, never text or tweet, or drink, or put on makeup...etc...

#29 6 years ago

Lets hope the computer recognizes the fuel indicator and is indeed accurate , especially say in autonomous semi trucks.

#30 6 years ago

Maybe someone can explain the benefit to society of self driving buses/trucks etc? Possibly less accidents and saving corporations money, but at the cost of how many jobs? And given most of the Western World now runs on a service economy, why do we blindly accept technology that gets rid of service jobs for limited benefit to society?

#31 6 years ago

Maybe the OP can rename the sensational thread name?

#32 6 years ago

Let’s just hope Microsoft isn’t helping with the code, would give new meaning to “blue screen of death”.....

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

Maybe the OP can rename the sensational thread name?

You would think. Especially since the OP has acknowledged error since originally creating this inaccurately titled thread.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Maybe someone can explain the benefit to society of self driving buses/trucks etc? Possibly less accidents and saving corporations money, but at the cost of how many jobs? And given most of the Western World now runs on a service economy, why do we blindly accept technology that gets rid of service jobs for limited benefit to society?

Both pros and cons to be sure, but much more than just "limited benefit" to society. Some of the pros (per AxleAddict):

•Without the need for a driver, cars could become mini-leisure rooms. There would be more space and no need for everyone to face forwards. Entertainment technology, such as video screens, could be used to lighten long journeys without the concern of distracting the driver.
    •Over 80% of car crashes in the USA are caused by driver error. There would be no bad drivers and less mistakes on the roads, if all vehicles became driverless. Drunk and drugged drivers would also be a thing of the past.
    •Travelers would be able to journey overnight and sleep for the duration.
    •Traffic could be coordinated more easily in urban areas to prevent long tailbacks at busy times. Commute times could be reduced drastically.
    •Reduced or non-existent fatigue from driving, plus arguments over directions and navigation would be a thing of the past.
    •Sensory technology could potentially perceive the environment better than human senses, seeing farther ahead, better in poor visibility, detecting smaller and more subtle obstacles, more reasons for less traffic accidents.
    •Speed limits could be increased to reflect the safer driving, shortening journey times.
    •Parking the vehicle and difficult maneuvering would be less stressful and require no special skills. The car could even just drop you off and then go and park itself.
    •People who historically have difficulties with driving, such as disabled people and older citizens, as well as the very young, would be able to experience the freedom of car travel. There would be no need for drivers' licenses or driving tests.
    •Autonomous vehicles could bring about a massive reduction in insurance premiums for car owners.
    •Efficient travel also means fuel savings, cutting costs.
    •Reduced need for safety gaps means that road capacities for vehicles would be significantly increased.
    •Passengers should experience a smoother riding experience.
    •Self-aware cars would lead to a reduction in car theft.

#35 6 years ago

Happened about a 30 second walk from where I work. I'm completely mystified by it because ALL drivers in downtown Vegas are awesome drivers, they always are watching where they are going, they are never texting, never distracted, always make great driving decisions, and certainly always sober. I just wonder how they are going to prevent someone from graffiting up the inside, stealing everything on the bus that isn't welded down, who's going to clean up all the puke, people havin' sex in it, preventing it from smelling like a smoke shop or a Dead show, and stop it from being filled all day with homeless people riding around in circles wanting some air conditioning and a confined audience to try to bilk money from. (They are going to use it as a restroom as well guaranteed.) I just can't see those buses lasting long here. (Hope they have LoJack also, or I can even imagine people just towin' the whole bus away.)

#36 6 years ago

How come it didn't honk at the truck backing into it? Surely it has a horn.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

So how does the delivery driver exchange details with the driverless bus after the accident?

Communication via contact info posted on vehicle and/or responding to alert issued by applicable vehicle monitoring system.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Someone else already said a big part of it, but if the argument is we should keep menial jobs around just to employ people, to me that sounds silly. If the choice is a driverless vehicle that saves an incredible amount of costs while being safer, or paying some guy to do the same thing to keep them with a job, myself and many others will pick the safer, cheaper option.

If electric cars are widely adopted will destroy the auto parts industry too.

But other jobs will pop up to fill these voids. We didn't all look at the first automobiles and say if we start using them, what will the poor horse vets all do?

Progress is scary and awesome. I for one am excited for our new robot (car) overlords.

#39 6 years ago

To be fair the bus stopped as designed. the trucker backed into it and was cited. It was the first day for the bus in Las Vegas . lol

#40 6 years ago

All great points and not scary at all. Technology as disruptive as this should always be questioned if it's of net benefit to society as a whole (and not just small parts of society). I think too often technology's is just accepted as good simply because it's technology.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Maybe someone can explain the benefit to society of self driving buses/trucks etc?

"According to data compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2016, 37,461 people were killed in 34,436 crashes, an average of 102 per day."

I'd be happy if that number were lower. Wouldn't you?

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

All great points and not scary at all.

I actually do think it's a bit scary. I mean, we sort of do the same thing whenever something new comes along, we expect the new thing will tear us all apart. When I was young, everyone was saying video games would destroy the youth, and it seems like most people did just fine, but for adults that didn't understand what the deal was, it is intimidating to say the least.

We are standing on the cusp of a TON of technological advancement that will literally change the way that we do everything. It is similar to the internet being introduced or the smart phone being revealed, but for technologies that we are used to having an extremely dangerous side of them, and for industries that do a ton of employment. It isn't going to be perfect, but the benefits will outweigh the risks.

When people predict that they autonomous electric trucks will reduce the cost of shipping goods by 70% or more, while being safer than before... well, if that comes true, it's going to happen one way or another.

Just found this account of it come across my phone... https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/self-driving-bus-crash-vegas-account/amp/ So, not busses fault, but the bus might have stopped it with some reasonable modifications, which it can now be programmed for...

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

and for industries that do a ton of employment.

I think that's the biggest concern with this "revolution" compared to the previous industrial revolution. The industrial revolution created jobs, but this one threatens to destroy them.

Obviously it's all unknown, and with ignorance comes fear. But I think the concentration of power in a few huge technology corporations who can afford to purchase any new tech startups before they become competitors is a big concern. Especially when governments are proving completely inept when dealing with such fast paced change.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I think that's the biggest concern with this "revolution" compared to the previous industrial revolution. The industrial revolution created jobs, but this one threatens to destroy them.
    Obviously it's all unknown, and with ignorance comes fear. But I think the concentration of power in a few huge technology corporations who can afford to purchase any new tech startups before they become competitors is a big concern. Especially when governments are proving completely inept when dealing with such fast paced change.

Governments are also refusing to even think about breaking up trusts, instead giving them massive tax breaks which makes it all but impossible for the smaller groups to compete. I agree, I don't like that.

And before anyone takes that as political, both sides do it - look at the Amazon headquarters "competition" going on and how everyone wants to just shower them with tax savings, regardless of affiliation.

I run a web site too. No government entity cares. In fact, I've been told I'm too small for them to worry about directly by some of them.

The positive thing about the job destruction right now is that we are actually nearing the point we will really need it. Most countries don't make enough humans to replace the ones living there. It's just a matter of time until the workforce starts dropping a lot - a problem we've already started to see in places like Japan. When that happens, we will need service jobs to be automated, just so enough people can actually fill them! It's an interesting time in history.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

The IR destroyed a lot of jobs as well - the manual jobs that were now being done by machines. Google "Luddites".

Every "revolution" is a trade-off. The self-scan wands at my local grocery store have eliminated some cashier positions, certainly, but they've created jobs for the people that design and build the computers and scanners, and the people that install and maintain them.

Self-driving cars will put commercial drivers in the same line with those who used to make buggy whips.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

The bus didn't crash. A delivery vehicle backed into it.

Why didn't the bus move out of the way!?

#47 6 years ago

What's next self playing pinball machine.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Why didn't the bus move out of the way!?

"The Shuttle didn't have the ability to move back. It just stayed still."
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/09/self-driving-bus-crashes-two-hours-after-las-vegas-launch-truck-autonomous-vehicle

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

What's next self playing pinball machine.

P3 can do that.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

P3 can do that.

So can Alvin G Soccer. It plays me and sadly beats me relatively frequently.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/self-driving-bus-crash?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.