(Topic ID: 7542)

"Self Created" Custom Themed Pinball Machine

By Trackrocket

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MoneyShot.JPG
    IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0402_(1).jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0398_(21).jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0383_(6).jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I've done a little searching and have found NOTHING with regards to an idea I have...but I know damn well I'm not the first one to think of it!??

Awhile back I was perusing CL for another machine and found an old Table machine called "Take Five" - an old Allied Leisure machine.

I got talking to the guy and got it for $100, says it "quit working" so I figure it's a power supply issue, etc. I have yet to pick it up.

He asked why I was interested and I told him my idea: I want to strip the playfield, paint it white and use decals/custom vinyl graphics to create my own theme. This will be a gift to a director of an organization I belong to who has shown interest in my pinball "hobby" here recently. We always think of something cool to make for him and this would top them all, undoubtedly.

So I wonder, has anyone else taken this on? I chose the table version because there would be NO back glass to design/fabricate, this would be my FIRST attempt at a custom-themed machine and it was cheap. My main responsibility at this point would be to ensure I build a reliable, "classy" machine, not a cheep "cheesy" rendition of an idea...and I think my idea could come about at a fairly reasonable, if not downright inexpensive price??

Any ideas? Any sites where someone has done this? Has anyone taken the idea a step further than mine and custom-themed an upright with custom back glass and all? If so, I'm NOT worthy!!

#2 12 years ago

If you can get the machine running first without issues, and it does have a digital display so SS?
    I would say that one looks decent.

I guess it depends on how elaborate you want to get.

Individually placed decals, no problem
    Creating a single piece playfield decal that requires alignment (and removing every single piece of hardware from the whitewood), that's a LOT more work (especially because you'll have to accurately measure / recreate the outline of the wood, then create artwork, and try to get that to align).

Of course, you could do the copy and paste method like jeri ellsworth:

#t=205s

#3 12 years ago

I think I can get the machine up and running fairly quickly - and inexpensively!

That's funny, that video actually uses the EXACT machine I referred to in my OP, called "the Entertainer" - "Take 5" is exactly like it, same playfield, etc. - seems they have the same idea then.

I thought of maybe cutting out cardboard patterns of the playfield and drawing a design to be air-brushed or using very thin vinyl - a friend is a sign maker with a very sophisticated vinyl cutting plotter thingey...so if you stick to 3-4 colors and black outline items...could be very cool and somewhat simple.

Use a white playfield and go from there, heck, you can vinyl the entire playfield with white and go from there! ...and just clear-coat. I'm just wondering if others have done it and posted and/or created a website, etc.

#4 12 years ago

Check out this extensive article on a guy that made his own Ramones pin! Even plays "pinhead"!

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/ramones/index.html

#5 12 years ago

THAT is TOTALLY BAD ASS!!

Love it...definitely want to take one that far in the future...make my own "racing" theme would be the ticket.

Thanks for the link...awesome.

#7 12 years ago

I am TOTALLY ate up with this! Thanks to Toyotaboy's earlier link I've found ALL SORTS of video for homemade/custom pinball machines...wow, double wow...very cool.

#8 12 years ago

ya wow. the time they put into that machine is NUTS! i can't believe how good the playfield and backglass look. that is some talent there.

#9 12 years ago

One of the top custom pins in my opinion.
    http://www.dirtydonny.com/?p=307

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from MES:

One of the top custom pins in my opinion.
    http://www.dirtydonny.com/?p=307

Woah! that is onbe gorgeous pin! Wonder how much jame Hetfield shelled out for that.

#11 12 years ago

I love both the Ramones and Beatniks pins.

I've been researching a bit on doing a re-theme after i restore bad wizard. I've sort of identified three main components - the artwork, the materials, and the theme/donor pin.

If you have someone in the business who can supply you with vinyl work, that would make a big difference as much of a re-theme can be done with it.

The artwork can be really difficult unless you are significantly artistically inclined (or have another willing friend who is). Trying to patch artwork together from different sources will end up looking like its been patched together.

The last is the actual theme vs the donor pin. It sounds like you have a theme in mind. But that doesn't necessarily mean just any old donor pin will work well with that theme.

That's as far as I've gotten so far. i have a short list of themes, but haven't been shopping for donor pins yet. There's a post I started looking for input on fugly fun pins to use as donors as I couldn't really see defacing a nice looking and fun playing pin for a retheme.

#12 12 years ago

There is some amazing custom pin work out there. That beatniks pin is unreal . And I loved reading that article on the guy calling in a bunch of favors to make his dream ramones pin come true. That was an awesome display of ingenuity (almost wrote pin-genuity, but thought better of it )

#13 12 years ago

Trident, a member here, did one several months ago of his own theme, have to get him to put some pics up.....

2 weeks later
    #14 12 years ago

I'd like to see Trident's custom pin for sure, that Beatniks is impressive as well although my vote is for the non-pro "Ramones" pin, because a bunch of friends built it. I don't even like the Ramones!

My first custom pin is going to use an old "Take Five" table machine, think it's an easy playfield to start with and the "ching-ching" of the mechanicals provides an easy (also classic) sound...my theme should be pretty simple - it's also going to be a gift, so no matter what I'm sure the recipient will be THRILLED.

#15 12 years ago

The beatniks pin is awesome. What an awesome direction for creative professionals.

#16 12 years ago

Here is a the custom Pin i did. It's based on a comic i had drawn a few years ago. originally it was a beat up alien star.

IMG_0383_(6).jpgIMG_0383_(6).jpg IMG_0375.jpgIMG_0375.jpg IMG_0396.jpgIMG_0396.jpg IMG_0398_(21).jpgIMG_0398_(21).jpg IMG_0390.jpgIMG_0390.jpg IMG_0402_(1).jpgIMG_0402_(1).jpg

#17 12 years ago

more pics

IMG_0371.jpgIMG_0371.jpg IMG_0401.jpgIMG_0401.jpg

#18 12 years ago

Erak on here made the custom Evil Dead pin, and did a great job.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Check out this extensive article on a guy that made his own Ramones pin! Even plays "pinhead"!

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/ramones/index.html

That pin is bad ass thanks for posting practicalsteve!

#21 12 years ago

Cool table trident....got any video of it in action??

#22 12 years ago

Anyone notice the Lego minifig in the Ramones pin?

#23 12 years ago

There was an article a couple of months ago in a Game Informer Magazine. Ben Heck a designer that makes portable Atari’s, and Xbox's made a Bill Paxton pinball machine. He said it was the most difficult and expensive build he has ever done.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/ben-heck-completes-the-bill-paxton-pinball-machine-reasserts-su/

#24 12 years ago

That's tight Trident!

What process is used to make a back glass? ...would it be easier to make a translite?

What seems to be the prevailing technique for putting a design on a playfield? I'm thinking vinyl with some type of clearcoat but not sure that's the way to go...although it would be the easiest and cost effective.

#25 12 years ago

I was just looking at Earthshaker in the ipdb, and noted it was the donor for a couple re-themes.

Interestingly, I did a search for "Re-themed Game" in ipdb and it shows quite a few of then. But a Last Supper pinball....really? Same Prayer for shoot again

2 weeks later
    #26 12 years ago

Awesome, I was certain someone had done some re-themes...so alas, my "great idea", is in fact, NOT mine!

FWIW, I did pick up an ultra-super perfect "Take Five" table machine over the weekend, no way in hell am I going to re-theme it...too precious, even Wifey agrees.

I'll have to post a pic of it, you WILL NOT believe how gorgeous it is, considering it's 35+ years old!

MoneyShot.JPGMoneyShot.JPG

#27 12 years ago

Now I just have to find an "OK" one and strip the playfield, shoot it white and go to town with a buddy who can airbrush...will leave the ding-dong sounds and original layout as I'm not that "technical" - just yet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/self-created-custom-themed-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.