(Topic ID: 117632)

Self-adhesive wood-grain vinyl for playfield rails? (Williams Sys 3-9)

By solarvalue

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oak santana.jpg
    DSCN4871.JPG
    DSCN4872.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

Hi All,

Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the self-adhesive vinyl on Williams early 80s games (see below)? I know some people replace these with real wood but I'm looking to just replace the vinyl.

DSCN4871.JPGDSCN4871.JPG

Thanks, SV

#2 9 years ago

Did you try a home improvement store?

Maybe one of these?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#tbm=shop&q=wood+grain+shelf+paper

#3 9 years ago

Tuned in as I'd like to know as well.

#4 9 years ago

this was the stuff that I purchased off of amazon last year for my cftbl (which is no longer available)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PHG9CG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I'd like to find something like what you've shown for my joust (sys 7), but haven't found anything remotely close to that gray/silver ash like williams used to use.

edit:
    does this look pretty close?
    oak santana.jpgoak santana.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/DC-Fix-346-0589-Adhesive-Santana/dp/B0081QHOM2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_3

#5 9 years ago

Something similar to this, perhaps (used for covering speaker cabinets):
    http://www.parts-express.com/band-it-maple-veneer-24-x-96-paper-backed--260-042

They've got a few different wood-grains and colors (maple, red-oak, birch), but I'm not sure which would be the closest match. I've used something similar but in black, and it does hold up well in a pinball machine, provided you take care in installing it (ensure you start with a clean, smooth wood surface, and pull the material tight so that you don't get air bubbles or wrinkles).

#6 9 years ago

I'm not sure this would work for your situation, but I fixed one that only had a small tear by carefully re-laminating it with clear packing tape - the good, crystal-clear Manco stuff. This would also work when portions of the vinyl are peeling, but still there. The clear tape keeps the original vinyl pressed down and functions almost like mylar. Make sure to wrap it all the way around the wood (you'll have to remove the piece first). Installed in the game I'd dare anyone to tell the difference.

Also, on mine the vinyl wrapped around both sides even though one was hidden, so you might be able to flip it around.

#7 9 years ago

Yeah this is the problem, it's hard to tell what will match just from photos. I've been to one store with a small piece of rail to try to find a match but nothing close yet. dc-fix and 3M are two companies which make it but I am not sure which of their products is closest. I wonder if someone could make this especially for the pinball restoration hobby, seems like the same stuff is used on a lot of games.

#8 9 years ago

Make a new rail from real wood and finish it might be another option.

#9 9 years ago

Parts Express used to sell a vinyl material that was an exact match; I have most of a roll left over from the one time I tried to use it. The problem is that it is nearly impossible to get a "tight" fit of the vinyl over the wooden rail, and no matter what methods I tried I could never achieve a satisfactory result. I wonder if perhaps the original material was heated slightly to stretch it over the wood, and it would tighten up when cooled.

I can look for a part number/brand on the roll, or if you're really set on the stuff send me a PM and I'll see how much I have left and how much it would cost to ship.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from jadziedzic:

I can look for a part number/brand on the roll, or if you're really set on the stuff send me a PM and I'll see how much I have left and how much it would cost to ship.

PM sent, thanks.

#11 9 years ago

if you're going to sell it to solarvalue, please post the part number/brand here as well

#12 9 years ago

The original material seems to be a lot more durable than the 'contact' self adhesive stuff we can get locally here (Aus).

When I was looking at this a while back, it almost seems as if the original material was heated on to make it shrink slightly...

#13 9 years ago

The vinyl material I have was sold by Parts Express; the part number was 261-610, and the description was "black ash vinyl laminate". The order confirmation showed it as Dayton VL218-BA (Dayton Audio seems to be an in-house brand of Parts Express). Unfortunately, Parts Express shows it as discontinued, with no direct substitute. The only manufacturer making I can find is on the backing sheet: "ORFLEX" with some Chinese characters next to that, but no part or model number.

#14 9 years ago

Decals can certainly be easier to deal with if they are warm. Either put them in the sun to heat up or use a hair dryer.

#15 9 years ago

would swapping out the entire rail help SV? I have a couple of stray pieces .. I'll have a closer look what condition they are in on monday. They used to be on a laser ball.

#16 9 years ago

Talk to TaylorVA and maybe he could make you a nice set of real wood ones.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oak-replacement-playfield-rails-wh2o-and-taf-ready-to-ship-or-york

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/self-adhesive-wood-grain-vinyl-for-playfield-rails-williams-sys-3-9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.