(144 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f4032935dab308dc806ef1a13e6da37e78554213b3ede0efa245d18247e510a4.jpg
new_tron_translite.jpg
CAM00174.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Looking to add a new pin to the line up.
Looking for something that is fun to play for everyone.

thought I would have some fun with a poll.
You can only vote for one

#2 9 years ago

ST Pro. Lots of great shots and flow. Color-changing shield inserts make it easy for anyone to understand what to shoot at. Great sound and light package.

Beam one up!

Later,
EV

#3 9 years ago

ST becomes very repetitive (modes & audio) IMHO, I owned it and sold it.

#4 9 years ago

I voted IM BUT it's very tough. I had a chance to play an IMVE multiple days on a business trip once (FL hotels are the best with arcades) and loved it.

For the family, the kids still wish I hadn't sold NGG. I'm a golfer and like the game, but didn't like the way mine played. I'd get another if it was in great shape.

#5 9 years ago

Avengers is easier than Iron Man. Quick games discourage non-pinheads. ST is cool, but I don't see it lasting long term in my house. I don't have any time on Junk Yard or NGG to have an opinion.

#6 9 years ago

ST is the most fun for everyone IMO. Like Echo said, it has awesome flow, light show, and sound. Sure you are shooting ramps all day but getting combos and getting into the flow is fun.

NGG is okay but feels like it is missing something. Junkyard is just okay. Never played Avengers. Ironman was fun but only played it a few times.

#7 9 years ago

ST - Fun for everyone. Any player will generally be able to start a multiball and have some fun battling the Vengeance, but to see everything the game has to offer your going to need some skills. Once the final code finally gets here, its going to easily be a top 10 pin.

JY - Also fun for everyone, but depending on skill level could get old quick. I've only got a couple of plays on this pin, and was still able to get to and beat the wizard mode consistently.

NGG - Fun for a couple plays, very repetitive. Making a hole in one is always fun.

Avengers - tough for me to give a fair judgment. I've only come across 3 of them, and they always had some fatal flaw that made me want to hulk smash the pin. Usually a ball getting stuck somewhere, mostly on the tesseract. Cool shots though, and challenging. You could probably overcome the stuck ball issues at home with some tweaks.

IM - If your not a better player, you likely will get frustrated quickly. The game wants to trick you into thinking it's a flow game and let you hit the monger orbits all day, but you need to fight the urge, and get control of the ball to think out your next shot. Good game that I will likely own someday.

#8 9 years ago

That's a tough list. I've played all of them and own several of them. The only thing I can say with certainty is avoid Junkyard. Game gets very, very old very quick. Fun to play at location or someone else's home

If a gun was pointed at my head and I had to choose I'd likely go NGG if you find a mint one. It's getting harder and harder to find a mint example of this game. The others can be found in HUO condition easily, so they can always be bought later. That said, I think ST Pro may go up if the code gets tweaked. Currently it seems to be selling on the lower side for HUO, so that may be worth considering.

Only other thing I would add. If you get an Avengers, get the LE. The LE, in my opinion, is much better than the Pro. The Hawkeye ramp is not on the Pro and it really helps line up shots. Changes the game dramatically. Plus you get the powder coat stuff (rails, legs), a shaker motor, changing LED lights, and a real backglass.

Good luck!

#9 9 years ago

Junkyard is one of the worst B/W games. It can be ok to mindlessly whack at the center but it gets mind-numbing after a few games. Too much video mode too, and while I say hats off for them trying something "out there" (can you imagine Stern theming a game like this?!) the whole audio/art/theme package doesn't real come together the way it should. Pretty awkward game that is strictly for newbies in my opinion (anybody can get into smacking the wrecking ball). Could be your best "fun for everyone" option but it really is a bit of a dog and you shouldn't be buying games just cause you think you can trick your wife/kids/guests who don't care about pinball into liking pinball. All around it's just kind of a stupid game.

Avengers is one of the worst of the new Sterns. Kind of a mess all around, clunky...you can tell they just figured the theme would sell this one and put their B-team on it.

NGG is ok but not the best of the Lawlor games.

I'd go with Iron Man. Game is just a blast to play even if it is kind of limited. Kind of like AFM in that it's easy to do well but will take many, many games before you can rule the universe (DOD X 2, complete Jericho) and really rewarding when you do.

Star Trek is a good game but I think it would get old faster. I know I'm sick of it and I've never owned it - there seem to be dozens of those games on location around here. Probably the best fun for everyone/good game option here. Iron Man is tough on newbies.

#10 9 years ago

I voted IM but second vote would be ST.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I voted IM but second vote would be ST.

100% agreed-

Iron Man is far above all 4 of the others IMHO.
ST Pro would be my second choice.

Junkyard - fun - too easy and simplistic to own.
Avengers - fun - deep - but not a very good "constructed" pin. Was my first purchased NIB, and is long gone.
NGG - worst of the 5.

#12 9 years ago

IM ST interesting

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

ST becomes very repetitive (modes & audio) IMHO, I owned it and sold it.

Yep.

IM easily wins this one.

#14 9 years ago

All I have is IM and Avengers but both are fun as hell. Avengers requires more trapping, more aim and is deeper and may need more tweaking. IM is fast and quite challenging. Just depends on the players I guess. I wonder if kids are more drawn to themes or game play, I know I am a sucker for the former.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

All I have is IM and Avengers but both are fun as hell. Avengers requires more trapping, more aim and is deeper and may need more tweaking. IM is fast and quite challenging. Just depends on the players I guess. I wonder if kids are more drawn to themes or game play, I know I am a sucker for the former.

image.jpg 138 KB

+1

#16 9 years ago

Close race between IM & ST
Anymore votes

#17 9 years ago

NGG- great pin with a ton of stuff to do. Most played pin when guests are over.
JY-very fun game. Great throwback modes from past games. Cool wizard mode that isn't so easy to beat when you have your pin leveled steep.
ST-pro fun but get's too repetitive after a while.
AV-ok at best
IM-nice sounds but weak gameplay

#19 9 years ago

They are all good choices really.
I have both ST and IM and they are my favorites to go back and forth when I play.

IM is hard, like Flash Gordon, and is the best "one more game" game ever with the excitement of the gameplay and short play times. It will humble a good player, but make the player better. I raised all my high scores on my other games since IM showed up. It can be an equalizer of players also, with Newbies beating a better player sometimes, that is why newbies like it also. Pretty much everyone loves the theme.

ST could have the best theme that goes across all players of any age. My 9 year old son, 73 year old Dad and myself all really like ST for it's theme and gameplay. It has great ramp shoots and is a winner if you love hitting combo shots, like I do. It is really good game currently and will only improve when the next code update happens and I feel after the update players will really settle in with it like they did with MET. It is stunning to look at also and Aurich's translite is a winner.

GLWTTH!

#20 9 years ago

I have IM and TAV, love them both. ST is good game too, just a bit easy and unfinished.

#21 9 years ago

I think IM is too simple. Very shallow rules and beats your ass. I would go with ST because i believe once the code is done it will be great!

#22 9 years ago

I own both IM and ST.
And I would have to say if I could only keep one it would be a hard choice but for pure pinball fun it would be IM.

Unless the ST update improves the game immensely.

ST, long games. Mode based gameplay. Tons to do. Great flow. 3 flippers.

IM, short games. A few modes. Good flow, Makes you wanna play just one more. Becase each time you get so close.

CAM00174.jpgCAM00174.jpg
#23 9 years ago

Wow IM has taken a big lead

#24 9 years ago

IM or ST, and for the love of pinball NOT Avengers (total POS)

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

IM or ST, and for the love of pinball NOT Avengers (total POS)

Haha ya know I've read a ton of Avenger threads from the beginning till now. You really seemed to like the game. I personally think it's a beautiful looking game. It has some fun call outs and takes a lot of the game play from the great movie (not only the call outs but the actual vs battles and wizard modes). It's challenging with the tight shots but they are fun to line up and hit. I know you are a super Marvel fan. At what point did you turn against Avengers?

#26 9 years ago

after it was in my collection for a few weeks. Just a cheap cheap pin. Despite "being dialed in" it was my least favorite pin of any Stern I've ever owned (approximately 20) And i LOVE the theme, I collected comics in the 70s and 80s. But IM, Wolverine, and SM are all exponentially better.

#27 9 years ago

IM by a mile, daylight in clear 2nd place.

#28 9 years ago

Bump

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Wow IM has taken a big lead

Deservedly so.

#30 9 years ago

This poll is going almost exactly how I would rate them, except I would swap NGG in front of JY. Good job Pinside, you guys speaking truth here!

IM
ST
NGG
JY
AV

#31 9 years ago

Loving the Iron Man love all over Pinside. So proud. I can recall being a kid loving Iron Man comics while everyone else was reading Spider Man and X Men.

#32 9 years ago

Evening bump

#33 9 years ago

Do you have time with all of these four games?

#34 9 years ago

this poll has gone as expected except for one tiny problem.f4032935dab308dc806ef1a13e6da37e78554213b3ede0efa245d18247e510a4.jpgf4032935dab308dc806ef1a13e6da37e78554213b3ede0efa245d18247e510a4.jpg
new_tron_translite.jpgnew_tron_translite.jpg

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

after it was in my collection for a few weeks. Just a cheap cheap pin. Despite "being dialed in" it was my least favorite pin of any Stern I've ever owned (approximately 20) And i LOVE the theme, I collected comics in the 70s and 80s. But IM, Wolverine, and SM are all exponentially better.

I guess the problem is you never were able to get it dialed in or working properly. Additionally, your incorrect installation of a mod caused the flashers to short out blowing fuses and a driver board transistor. I can see where that could be frustrating and sour your opinion of the game.

After you sold it to me, all I did was correctly install the Tessaract mod, repair the flasher circuit, perform a few of the tweaks from the threads here on Pinside and it has been working flawlessly for the last year.

Avengers is a truly great, underrated game that will be more appreciated as more people experience correctly working examples of the game.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Do you have time with all of these four games?

Have play IM, ST, JY at arcades and once owned NGG but never played Avengers.

I have a STTNG, and was wondering if ST pro complimented each other

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I guess the problem is you never were able to get it dialed in or working properly. Additionally, your incorrect installation of a mod caused the flashers to short out blowing fuses and a driver board transistor. I can see where that could be frustrating and sour your opinion of the game.
After you sold it to me, all I did was correctly install the Tessaract mod, repair the flasher circuit, perform a few of the tweaks from the threads here on Pinside and it has been working flawlessly for the last year.
Avengers is a truly great, underrated game that will be more appreciated as more people experience correctly working examples of the game.

Man I LOVE the Tesseract mod. I mean it's so beautiful. I got a spare cube as a reserve. Also, speaking of the flashers, I replaced all the incandescent flashers with color matching 8 led Comet flashers. Man it's such a beautiful game. Gio is working on even more mods for it and I can't wait.

#38 9 years ago

Also, Avengers 2 comes out this May. So Pumped!!!

#39 9 years ago

I would take an Avengers over Iron Man all day long. Just more to do. Played a vault edition Iron Man recently on location. The game is ok at best. Sorry. Love NGG and JY and ST is fun also.

#40 9 years ago

JY may not compare to the others but,I still liked it back in the day in the arcade. jalopy assembled. In all fairness all pins get repetitive.

#41 9 years ago

Agree with pingeo on Avengers and IM. Had IM for 3 months and it just got old . Avengers is a game that will get better over time when people discover it. I have played a couple of friends Avengers several times and it is fun deep game. NGG and JY get old quick and ST is fun but missing the it factor.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Man I LOVE the Tesseract mod. I mean it's so beautiful. I got a spare cube as a reserve. Also, speaking of the flashers, I replaced all the incandescent flashers with color matching 8 led Comet flashers. Man it's such a beautiful game. Gio is working on even more mods for it and I can't wait.

The light show on Avengers is incredible with color matched LED flashers. Really love that aspect of the game.

Did you install a flex head red flasher behind the Fury target? Getting rid of the red colored incandescent there really made a big difference.

I also put blue flex heads under the Tessaract spinner. That and the Tessaract mod with it's blue flasher make Tessaract mode very cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/selecting-next-pin-avengers-junkyard-star-trek-pro-ironman-ngg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.