Xfiles Completed7.2.jpg
Xfiles Completed.2.jpg
xfiles 2.jpg
xfiles LED.jpg
xfiles No Ramps.jpg
DSC_1105.JPG
playfield3.JPG
DSC_1107.JPG
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I have a customer that is having me service and upgrade their SEGA X Files Pin. I thought I would post a couple pictures of the progress as you do not see a lot posted about this one. I think because it is not a high value pin many do not put a lot of money into MODS and Upgrades. This customer has had the PIN in their family for around 10 years and really wanted to do some cool upgrades. I am trying to do some before and after pictures of my progress both with the Restoration and the MODs/Upgrades as you may not see many X-files with an "XPIN" Blue DMD display. It has not had a Flourscent Backglass Bulb in who knows how long so with the help of another Pinsider/X-Files Owner I was able to identify the bulb and starter to get the backbox light back up and running. Other things I will be adding are a full Cointaker LED KIT, Under Cabinet LED GLOW Kit, LED Flipper Buttons and perhaps a few other surprises including Custom painted LEGS.

Enjoy and I Appreciate any feedback and suggestions. Check back in for progress reports and I will add pictures as I complete the upgrades.

#2 10 years ago

Playfield Before and After (Full Cleaning and Polishing not complete but this was the first step to get years of glupe off...)

#3 10 years ago

Restore-X-Files.jpgRestore-X-Files.jpgRestore-X-Files2.jpgRestore-X-Files2.jpg

#4 10 years ago

DMD Before and After Pics. The Original DMD had two lines out on the far right.

#5 10 years ago

Restore-X-Files3.5.jpgRestore-X-Files3.5.jpgRestore-X-Files5.2.jpgRestore-X-Files5.2.jpgRestore-X-Files6.jpgRestore-X-Files6.jpg

#6 10 years ago

looks amazing! Great job. I wish those blue dmd would get cheaper. Want to do tron and xfiles

#7 10 years ago

Before PIC

Restore-X-Files8.2.jpgRestore-X-Files8.2.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Restore-X-Files7.jpgRestore-X-Files7.jpg

#10 10 years ago

Someone did a mod to light the agents cards. I will try to do this in my machine. Here's the vídeo:

Do you know where I can find a new file cabinet? I'm needing one...

#11 10 years ago

Hey, one of my old videos . That brings back memories .

Filing cabinet, eh...? Question is: how badly do you want it ?

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/545-5778-00.html

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

daaaaauuuum!

#13 10 years ago

I did a lot of cool stuff to my X-Files. I added Mulder and Scully in front of a plasma light, an alien, and a flying saucer pulling up a cow in its beam. I wish that blue DMD was around. I'm going to see if there's a purple one for my Twister.005.JPG005.JPG

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Hey, one of my old videos . That brings back memories .

Really ?? That's great !! I liked the vídeo! Do you remember how the ID's were lighted? The wood was sawed?

Wow ... $259 is just too much.

Post edited by fabiofpc

#15 10 years ago

You need to order the ufo led pop bumper circles from germany and install them and also install two more in the alien baby.google the mod it is out there,You will need a turtle green pop bumper cap for the bottom led circle for the baby.I need to do it also

#16 10 years ago

Thanks rockrand - thats my x-files with the ufo lights from pinballcentre.eu in Germany.
I used the green parts from a turtles playfield and three purple williams bumper caps (I have some sega blue ones to try sometime soon) I had kick around to replace the lane guides, the star posts, used blue rubbers.

Loving the blue dmd ... ... ...

alien3.JPGalien3.JPG alien2.JPGalien2.JPG DSC_1107.JPGDSC_1107.JPG playfield3.JPGplayfield3.JPG DSC_1105.JPGDSC_1105.JPG
#17 10 years ago

I've also got a few more mods Im working on so I'll post some pics later this week hopefully

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Rav:

Thanks rockrand - thats my X-files with the ufo lights from pinballcentre.eu in Germany.
I used the green parts from a turtles playfield and three purple williams bumper caps (I have some sega blue ones to try sometime soon) I had kick around to replace the lane guides, the star posts, used blue rubbers.
Loving the blue dmd ... ... ...

LOVE THAT MOD! Thanks for sharing? How hard is it to get in the alien tube as I want to replace the current bulbs with LED's any suggestions?

alien3.JPG 66 KB

alien2.JPG 94 KB

DSC_1107.JPG 190 KB

playfield3.JPG 164 KB

DSC_1105.JPG 211 KB

#19 10 years ago

Update on the Restoration-Have removed the ramps and many of the plastics for cleaning and LED bulb installation. Here are some pictures of the playfield including the LED's and how they look. Going with a combination of Purple, Blue and White Cointaker Frosted for the GI.

#20 10 years ago

Updated Pictures so they are right side up...

#21 10 years ago

xfiles No Ramps.jpgxfiles No Ramps.jpgxfiles LED.jpgxfiles LED.jpgxfiles 2.jpgxfiles 2.jpg

#22 10 years ago

NIce work, I got an x-files a couple weeks ago and I am doing a similar restoration and its very nice to see what you have done to yours. If I could only find an Alien Baby as someone robbed the one from my cabinet before I got it

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from fabiofpc:

Really ?? That's great !! I liked the vídeo! Do you remember how the ID's were lighted? The wood was sawed?
Wow ... $259 is just too much.
Post edited by fabiofpc

I am sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention. I THINK they were wired to the wires that light up the "badges" on the PF.

Mulder2010 here on Pinside is the owner of my old machine. Maybe if you ask him nicely, he'd be willing to look for you .

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from prostock32:

NIce work, I got an X-files a couple weeks ago and I am doing a similar restoration and its very nice to see what you have done to yours. If I could only find an Alien Baby as someone robbed the one from my cabinet before I got it

If I hear of one I will let you know but I am sure that will be a tough part to find. I will keep posting updates as the restore comes along. Thanks for the positive feedback!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I am sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention. I THINK they were wired to the wires that light up the "badges" on the PF.
Mulder2010 here on Pinside is the owner of my old machine. Maybe if you ask him nicely, he'd be willing to look for you .

Thank you NewPinOwner !!
I'm gonna ask him !! From the vídeo, I think they are attached to the wires that light the Mulder/ Scully inserts. My doubt is if the wood behid the IDs where sawed or not, to install the lights...

Thank you again !!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Restore-X-Files.jpg 141 KB

Restore-X-Files2.jpg 120 KB

What did you do to get the playfield so clean? What do you use?

#27 10 years ago

I started with Rubbing alcohol and magic eraser (my favorite cleaning combo) and very gently cleaned all of the ground in dirt. I then use Novus 2 for additional clean up and polishing. That also gets rid of any white residue from the alcohol/eraser. I just finished up the cleaning using (for the first time) mill wax pinball magic and buffed it really good and seemed to come out extremely well. I am reassembling the play field and will post a picture when completed as the play field came out looking very nice.

#28 10 years ago

Jester, do you have plans for the original DMD you removed? I just pickup up an X-Files with a bad acting DMD.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from ddunlow:

Jester, do you have plans for the original DMD you removed? I just pickup up an X-files with a bad acting DMD.

Yeah sorry the old one has one line out on the far right but is in better shape than my Doctor Who one which has multiple lines out on the right and bottom. I have a couple DMD's like that have various issues. How bad is your X-Files one? Do you get anything at all? Do you just need one to keep you going till you can get a new one?

#30 10 years ago

Wow, I need to do some of these to my X-Files--they look great. I keep wondering though, wouldn't a green DMD have made more sense?

Just wondering why you went blue.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

Wow, I need to do some of these to my X-files--they look great. I keep wondering though, wouldn't a green DMD have made more sense?
Just wondering why you went blue.

Well I am actually restoring it for a customer and gave them the color option and they went for Blue...The machine does have a Blue/Purple color scheme to it and that is how I did the LED's so it looks really nice. I will post pics soon of the cleaned and reassembled playfield with LED's which I also did in purple blue and white.

#32 10 years ago

Here's what the DMD looks like. The display is not consistent. Sometimes it is worse than this and sometimes it's a little better. I have not had to troubleshoot a display before. That's why I hate to drop nearly $200 on a new display. I'm not sure if it will fix it. My display drop random pixels instead of like yours, where you have a specific row(s) out.

Is this showing symptoms of a dying DMD or a problem on the controller? I have checked the connections and don't see any problems there.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from ddunlow:

Here's what the DMD looks like. The display is not consistent. Sometimes it is worse than this and sometimes it's a little better. I have not had to troubleshoot a display before. That's why I hate to drop nearly $200 on a new display. I'm not sure if it will fix it. My display drop random pixels instead of like yours, where you have a specific row(s) out.
» YouTube video
Is this showing symptoms of a dying DMD or a problem on the controller? I have checked the connections and don't see any problems there.

Can't View at work but I will take a look at home unless another pinsider can diagnose it for you. Swapping out a DMD is not very hard so if you know someone with another DMD game you can see if they will let you. Otherwise I am sure we can arrange for me to send you one of my "Not perfect" but servicable DMD's.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I started with Rubbing alcohol and magic eraser (my favorite cleaning combo) and very gently cleaned all of the ground in dirt. I then use Novus 2 for additional clean up and polishing. That also gets rid of any white residue from the alcohol/eraser. I just finished up the cleaning using (for the first time) mill wax Pinball Magic and buffed it really good and seemed to come out extremely well. I am reassembling the play field and will post a picture when completed as the play field came out looking very nice.

Thanks for the tips. In your photos, the playfield cleaned up very well.

1 week later
#35 10 years ago

I had some Technical issues I needed to work out that I was documenting in another thread. Now that it is solved and I have reassembled the playfield and ramps I am ready to start installing the mirror blades. I will post pics soon of the progress but wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with Mirror Blades on an XFiles or SEGA machine and any obstacles I should look for.

#36 10 years ago

Finished Restoration of SEGA X Files

#37 10 years ago

Here are the pictures of the overall machine. You can compare them to the Before pictures at the top of the posting. Installed are all Cointaker Premium LED's, Mirror Blades, and Custom Cointaker under the cabinet light show. I love the Blue and Purple theme that the LED's bring out in this machine. I went with Green in the Alien Baby Capsule and I like that a lot. Enjoy and I welcome your Comments!

#38 10 years ago

Xfiles Completed.2.jpgXfiles Completed.2.jpgXfiles Completed7.2.jpgXfiles Completed7.2.jpgXfiles Completed8.2.jpgXfiles Completed8.2.jpg

#39 10 years ago

Xfiles Completed2.jpgXfiles Completed2.jpgXfiles Completed3.jpgXfiles Completed3.jpgXfiles Completed4.jpgXfiles Completed4.jpg

#40 10 years ago

Xfiles Completed5.jpgXfiles Completed5.jpgXfiles Completed6.jpgXfiles Completed6.jpgXfiles Completed9.jpgXfiles Completed9.jpg

#41 10 years ago

oooooooo...ahhhhhhhhhhh !!!!

Looks great!

#42 10 years ago

Wow, beautiful job. Hope to do something like this with my Shadow someday.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from realroadrage:

Wow, beautiful job. Hope to do something like this with my Shadow someday.

Hey Thanks Road Rage! I am just up the road from you in Charles Town and the X Files machine I just dropped off was in Stone Leigh. If you ever want any ideas or help with your Shadow let me know as I there are a couple of us pinsiders right in that Route 7 Corridor.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

oooooooo...ahhhhhhhhhhh !!!!
Looks great!

Thanks!!!!

#45 10 years ago

man, that really looks awesome! Amazing work Jester!

#46 10 years ago

This is incredible jester!

I know x-files has it's haters (I used to be one of), but I changed my tune when I played one some months back. Now I want to own one!

What made you go with a blue display instead of the signature green motif?

#47 10 years ago

Nice!!

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

This is incredible jester!
I know X-files has it's haters (I used to be one of), but I changed my tune when I played one some months back. Now I want to own one!
What made you go with a blue display instead of the signature green motif?

Hey Thanks I appreciate the compliments! I actually gave the customer the option of Red, Green or Blue and they liked the Blue option. The game actually has a lot of Blue/Purple to it so I think it goes well with the overall game scheme. I had not played it until this opportunity came to Restore/upgrade/Mod for this guy as it is I believe a Home use only model. It still had a X Files Key Chain and spare slingshot plastics in the cabinet. Once I played it I really enjoyed it also. I especially like the File Cabinet toy with the magnet in front. Reminds me of Iron Man.

#49 10 years ago

That came out looking stunning!!!!

#50 10 years ago

I helped Jester deliver this bad boy and I can tell you....it looks great in pictures, but "greater" in person.

well done Jester!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-x-files-restore-work-and-blue-led-dmd-upgrade/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.